Crisis and opportunity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Crisis and opportunity

It is said that in Chinese, the word for crisis and opportunity are the same. I don't know if that's true and someone who knows Cantonese or Mandarin will, no doubt, educate us further. Still, if it is a cliche, it's a good one to apply to our current situation. While the whole Carlisle affair is hardly desirable, I fail to see how our club, or anyone other than Jake himself and his disingenuous manager are to blame.

The sky is not falling. In Jake's defence, he's been through two incredibly turbulent years at the injectors and this has clearly affected him and his form. He's now free of that toxic environment and has come to a GOOD CLUB with a committed playing group with strong values. It is exactly what he needs. This is a superb opportunity for the club to prove once and for all it is not the "old St.Kilda", which has been the media's favourite whipping boy when it comes to club cultures.

Over the past few years and in particular since Matt Finnis has come on board, the whole club has come across as being thoroughly professional and competent. I only have to reflect on the disgraceful, unethical and dishonest behaviour of Adrian Dud-oro throughout the trade period and its aftermath. After all that he did to be difficult, he still potted our club. Despite this, Bains, Elshaug and Finnis remained focused and professional, although they must have been sorely tempted to return fire. For me this was the most potent sign that the club has indeed developed into one that can compete with the best. In the end, we got what we needed and wanted, as did the injectors. To me, that's the sign of a good deal. Kudos to our team. Results are what count and once JC and Freeman start playing good football for us, all this nonsense will be forgotten.

I sincerely hope that in the future we become a "destination club" for those who want to escape toxic environments like that which clearly exists at Essendon. If we get Freeman and Carlisle to play up to their undoubted potential, then we'll look much more attractive to managers and disgruntled players alike. Personally, I'm a bit "Big Kev" about all this. Not dead, but EXCITED. I think we're in for a good year, similar to 2003, when you could see what was building through the enormous promise of an exciting young playing list. This is a test for our club. So far, so good. It has been handled professionally and appropriately. I particularly liked the fact that it will be the playing group, not just the administration that will admonish Jake and help rectify this mistake. This is exactly as it should be. Young men pay far more attention to what their peers think and do, more so than any other group. I'd hate to be in his shoes when he fronts Roo in particular. We'll be ok. In fact, I think we'll be more than ok. We're going to thrive.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Crisis and opportunity

EXCELLENT post WW. Like so many Sainters I was furious when hearing the news about Carlisle. Anger and frustration can be such impediments for rational and reasoned thought. Now that I've calmed down and the blood has cooled, I'm more than happy to accept reality, and let the club and leadership group deal with this serious issue.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Agree with you both.

The bloke can play, and under guidance will restrict his toolish activities.

He will know now, as per Lovett, his career will be over with one more stupid act.

The club has shown that it does not mess around when it comes to enforcing standards.

BTW, don't be surprised if his contract is re-written.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Great post.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the glass half full approach fellows.

stkfc1
Club Player

+1. Most sane post I've read on this site in the last few days. Take a breath everybody. All will be fine. God I'd love to be a fly on the wall when JC fronts up to the playing group. Don't think Roo would throw him up against a wall but wouldn't be far off I reckon.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

By all accounts Nick is p--sed off with Jake and so he should be. And so should the rest of the playing group.

That displeasure will be conveyed, and in such a manner that the new lad will understand even if he is as simple as some like to suggest. He will be under no misapprehension of the consequences of any further stuff ups or of any failure to work his butt off.

But, just as importantly, Nick will have to mix all that with a genuine welcome to our club. Despite what has happened it is important that he immediately feels part of St Kilda. It's important to the club and vitally important to Nick if there is to be any chance of playing Finals again in the time the captain has left in the game.

The message is quite simple. You cannot afford to put one toe out of line. However we will help you achieve that by being a proper, stable football club with wonderful players and staff.

Welcome Jake; it's up to you!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

White Winmar wrote:It is said that in Chinese, the word for crisis and opportunity are the same.

I've heard this also - according to Homer SImpson, the word is "crisitunity"......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle will have the whole football world bearing down on his shoulders, not just our leadership group. He now only has one opportunity, and that is to be clean and hard working. In a way, it's kind of good for us. We now know he's prone to being a naughty boy. If this had happened one year into his contract at St Kilda, our culture would have been blamed, rather than Carlisle himself. The onus is on him, not the football club, to clean up his act. If he has any working brain cells in that head of his he'll not go anywhere the gear while he's with us. Surely, he could not bear the heat of this blowing up on him a seconds time...it's a pretty effective deterrent, all this public shaming.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Doesn't Roo take all the new recruits to his Tasmanian resort for a group bonding session.
Good place to talk to him bout what it means to pull on a saints jumper.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Accordirng to Homer Simpson: "It's a crisatunity".

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:The sky is not falling. In Jake's defence, he's been through two incredibly turbulent years at the injectors and this has clearly affected him and his form. He's now free of that toxic environment and has come to a GOOD CLUB with a committed playing group with strong values. It is exactly what he needs. This is a superb opportunity for the club to prove once and for all it is not the "old St.Kilda", which has been the media's favourite whipping boy when it comes to club cultures. .
Jesus Christ, the martyrdom of St Jake is now complete. It's hilarious how for the last 2 years everyone's been banging on about how Essendon players have been totally to blame for their own predicament. But now we have Carlisle suddenly he's an innocent rube who was caught up in the maelstrom trying to keep his head above water. Poor chap.

You do realise he almost certainly knew about the video before the trade but chose not to tell us? If true its an incredibly betrayal just hours before joining our great club. Lucky we don't have bleeding hearts like you running the club. Enough of the "poor old Jake" crap. He has a long, long way to go before I'll give him any sympathy.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

What went on in the dark corners at Essendon bred by a clandestine drug culture and has been exposed to the light...literally the moment he became a Saint.

Could be the making of the man. 2 days on and I'm more positive about what can happen....I say leave it to his peers (thats how Generation Y work best afterall), and he will sink or swim depending on his response

Nee!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
White Winmar wrote:The sky is not falling. In Jake's defence, he's been through two incredibly turbulent years at the injectors and this has clearly affected him and his form. He's now free of that toxic environment and has come to a GOOD CLUB with a committed playing group with strong values. It is exactly what he needs. This is a superb opportunity for the club to prove once and for all it is not the "old St.Kilda", which has been the media's favourite whipping boy when it comes to club cultures. .
Jesus Christ, the martyrdom of St Jake is now complete. It's hilarious how for the last 2 years everyone's been banging on about how Essendon players have been totally to blame for their own predicament. But now we have Carlisle suddenly he's an innocent rube who was caught up in the maelstrom trying to keep his head above water. Poor chap.

You do realise he almost certainly knew about the video before the trade but chose not to tell us? If true its an incredibly betrayal just hours before joining our great club. Lucky we don't have bleeding hearts like you running the club. Enough of the "poor old Jake" crap. He has a long, long way to go before I'll give him any sympathy.
Yeah, if you don't know, just make it up.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:By all accounts Nick is p--sed off with Jake and so he should be. And so should the rest of the playing group.

That displeasure will be conveyed, and in such a manner that the new lad will understand even if he is as simple as some like to suggest. He will be under no misapprehension of the consequences of any further stuff ups or of any failure to work his butt off.

But, just as importantly, Nick will have to mix all that with a genuine welcome to our club. Despite what has happened it is important that he immediately feels part of St Kilda. It's important to the club and vitally important to Nick if there is to be any chance of playing Finals again in the time the captain has left in the game.

The message is quite simple. You cannot afford to put one toe out of line. However we will help you achieve that by being a proper, stable football club with wonderful players and staff.

Welcome Jake; it's up to you!
You can write pissed off without the dashes. It's not that big a nanny site yet!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Carlisle knew of the video's existence when he signed with the club and yet agreed to a separate and generous marketing deal under the AFL's additional services allowance that falls outside the salary cap.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z3pMhT49t2
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
Jake the Snake made sure he got his fat stack contract signed away before saints knew anything. Starts his career with St Kilda betraying the club. What a wonderful beginning. Slippery little customer.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'm impressed with the way Freeman has become a dud since the Carlisle video came out.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I'm impressed with the way Freeman has become a dud since the Carlisle video came out.
What are you talking about?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:I'm impressed with the way Freeman has become a dud since the Carlisle video came out.
Every second smartarse had suddenly downgraded our trading efforts from what would have been an A, securing talent that we wanted, to pontificating that we've now recruited a cokehead and a bloke who'll never be fit enough to pull on the boots.

I've had a gutful of it today. I look forward to us proving them all wrong.

PS. Great OP WW.

Always loyal
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Dont know enough about Freman to make a call yet.

As for the coke head there was enough doubts on his character and intelligence even prior to this indiscretion.
Fancy paying this rabbit the sort of money we let BJ walk away for!
Hope I get to eat my words but suspect this will not be an isolated incident.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Carlisle knew of the video's existence when he signed with the club and yet agreed to a separate and generous marketing deal under the AFL's additional services allowance that falls outside the salary cap.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z3pMhT49t2
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
Jake the Snake made sure he got his fat stack contract signed away before saints knew anything. Starts his career with St Kilda betraying the club. What a wonderful beginning. Slippery little customer.

I reckon he knew of the video for sure. he took it.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Great post WW. One of the best posts I've ever seen on this site TBH.

I reckon you're bang on the money as to how the club and it's leaders will handle this situation.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
Every second smartarse had suddenly downgraded our trading efforts from what would have been an A, securing talent that we wanted, to pontificating that we've now recruited a cokehead and a bloke who'll never be fit enough to pull on the boots.

PS. Great OP WW.
Forgive me if I'm not ready to jump on the #standbyjake bandwagon from a guy that may have very well lied to the club hours before signing on. I want 2 solid years of on field performance at a high level - no picking and choosing when he will play hard. His own bomber supporters called him a sook. Its easy to talk the talk, but lets see how much of a team player he is when out there because so far he's shown zero level of loyalty and commitment to St Kilda.

And I still can't get over how freaking idiotic and reckless he was to film himself snorting s*** and sending it to someone when he has a drug court case coming up. Tell me WADA won't try and work that in to their case somehow even though its irrelevant, just to get it viewed. A cocky, rich, drug snorting footy player who laughs at authorities enough to send a video of himself doing drugs via social media will not go over well with the jury/judges. He may well have damned himself and other Essendon players to a suspension. Which means he is unavailable for us - costing us more money.

Now apparently this is the greatest thing that has ever happened to this club according to many recently posted topics! We are so desperate to spin things positively we've lost touch with reality and are scared to look at things how they are.

I'm sure there are no issues at all with Freeman hamstrings. The hamstring fairy obviously visited him in the middle of night and changed them over. Some people can't stand the tension of the middle and not knowing and have to have everything black or white.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

PS. Great OP WW.
Forgive me if I'm not ready to jump on the #standbyjake bandwagon from a guy that may have very well lied to the club hours before signing on. I want 2 solid years of on field performance at a high level - no picking and choosing when he will play hard. His own bomber supporters called him a sook. Its easy to talk the talk, but lets see how much of a team player he is when out there because so far he's shown zero level of loyalty and commitment to St Kilda.

And I still can't get over how freaking idiotic and reckless he was to film himself snorting s*** and sending it to someone when he has a drug court case coming up. Tell me WADA won't try and work that in to their case somehow even though its irrelevant, just to get it viewed. A cocky, rich, drug snorting footy player who laughs at authorities enough to send a video of himself doing drugs via social media will not go over well with the jury/judges. He may well have damned himself and other Essendon players to a suspension. Which means he is unavailable for us - costing us more money.

Now apparently this is the greatest thing that has ever happened to this club according to many recently posted topics! We are so desperate to spin things positively we've lost touch with reality and are scared to look at things how they are.

I'm sure there are no issues at all with Freeman hamstrings. The hamstring fairy obviously visited him in the middle of night and changed them over. Some people can't stand the tension of the middle and not knowing and have to have everything black or white.

It will have nothing to do with WADA. The penalties, if anything will most likely be the same for every player. I suppose the choice is to be positive with what we have done or feel the world is against is. I'm positive we have done a great job. If someone can explain how whinging and being pissed off with the world helps I'm all ears otherwise I don't see the point in complaining.