Anyone else feeling flat about this season?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else feeling flat about this season?

I am.

Maybe it's due to being early Feb and still a month and a half until the real stuff begins, but the whole Essendon drug scandal and more so the AFL's love of that team has made a mockery of the comp. Had they being playing for zero points and banned from round one of the draft next year to me it would be a fair comp this year.

The other factor is our two big recruits, Carlisle and Freeman collectively may only play a handful of games - nothing new there to get excited about for 2016, plus Rice has glandular and god knows how much that will knock him around.

Sure, The Gresh and the youngsters from previous years are a positive.

To me, this season is all about trying to tread water and actually not go backwards on last year wins/ladder wise. We had an awesome run with injury last year which is doubtful to be as good this year.

Sorry to be negative. I'm sure after our first win (hopefully not too far into the season!) things will look up a bit.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ripplug66
Club Player

Re: Anyone else feeling flat about this season?

Not even slightly. To many people want instant success. I wonder how some supporters would have survived the mid 80's. We are getting softer by the day. As for Essendon well its over IMO. I don't even think of them. I leave that for the real negative types SP.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:Not even slightly. To many people want instant success. I wonder how some supporters would have survived the mid 80's. We are getting softer by the day. As for Essendon well its over IMO. I don't even think of them. I leave that for the real negative types SP.
I never said I wanted or expected instant success, simply it's a holding pattern year for us. I'm not expecting finals until at least 2019.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ripplug66
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:Not even slightly. To many people want instant success. I wonder how some supporters would have survived the mid 80's. We are getting softer by the day. As for Essendon well its over IMO. I don't even think of them. I leave that for the real negative types SP.
I never said I wanted or expected instant success, simply it's a holding pattern year for us. I'm not expecting finals until at least 2019.

Probably the same but every year is exciting.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Never felt flat about a season.

And I've been going weekly since 1973 so I've been through some pretty dark periods.

As usual at this time of the year I'm buzzing, cos in a matter of weeks I'll be doing what I love most. Having a few beers and going to watch the Saints with me mates. We'll win some games and witness some great individual performances. We'll see some kids show great potential and others really improve.

My support for the Saints is not based on Finals, though they are obviously something to aim for and are great when they come along.

And clearly it's not based on Premierships or otherwise I wouldn't still be here.

This season? Can't wait - BRING IT ON!!!

ripplug66
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Never felt flat about a season.

And I've been going weekly since 1973 so I've been through some pretty dark periods.

As usual at this time of the year I'm buzzing, cos in a matter of weeks I'll be doing what I love most. Having a few beers and going to watch the Saints with me mates. We'll win some games and witness some great individual performances. We'll see some kids show great potential and others really improve.

My support for the Saints is not based on Finals, though they are obviously something to aim for and are great when they come along.

And clearly it's not based on Premierships or otherwise I wouldn't still be here.

This season? Can't wait - BRING IT ON!!! Image

Nice Doc. I wish everyone could be like that. All I want is to win the flag this season and if we don't that's it for me. I outta here. Well not here but outta the footy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I don't care about the 80s ... Irrelevent to now, and an embarrassing period!
And believe any supporter proud of themselves for 'surviving' the 80s as its some sort of badge of honour are full of themselves... Not an achievement to be a supporter.

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I don't care about the 80s ... Irrelevent to now, and an embarrassing period!
And believe any supporter proud of themselves for 'surviving' the 80s as its some sort of badge of honour are full of themselves... Not an achievement to be a supporter.

What a weird comment. Full of themselves? Hardly. Just showing how soft people are today. You would have been about 10 around that time so you wouldn't have a clue what it was like. I suppose a real supporter is one who bags the clubs history and now wants success and thinks he, by bagging the club, will get success. Now that is a supporter who is completely full of themselves.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Congrats on being a supporter in the 80s plugger

Put it on your resume...

Btw
I finished high school in the 80's
And I'm not doogie houser... It just goes to show what you think and what you know are very different things.

I'll stand up for actual young supporters too
They have probably gone through 2002-2002 and 2013-2015
And suffered the heartache of 97/09/10
And never winning what we should have

But you plugger are the most special supporter of StK and know more to boot

Just superior in so many ways

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'm really looking forward to this season. There is so much potentially really exciting players to take a step up - Billings, Acres, McCartin, Goddard, Ross, Webster, Gresham, Dunstan, McKenzie, Hickey and Longer. Then we will probably have some answers about some fringe guys - Curren, Minch, Saunders, Lee, Shenton which will be fascinating to see if they fight for their footy life. And then we'll see if any newbie can do a Lonie or Sinclair and breakthrough into the firsts. I thought we over-achieved last year so I'm not too stressed with wins. We still rely a lot on the oldies.

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Congrats on being a supporter in the 80s plugger

Put it on your resume...

Btw
And I'm not doogie houser... It just goes to show what you think and what you know are very different things.

I'm glad you think I'm superior. I never said it and wouldn't say it but if you think so then go for it. And please don't compare 2002-2002 whatever that means and 2013-15 to 83 and 86. And TBH I'm very glad to think differently to you in so many ways.

70s sainter
Club Player

I just remembered why I don't go on saintsational anymore.
Back to the other one .

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Certainly less enthusiastic about this season than many, but it's like saying I am less enthusiastic about visiting New Zealand than Switzerland - still counting the days, looking forward to the mountains and valleys, and getting excited!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Im looking forward to seeing further development in Billings, Newnes Dunstan Bruce Sinclair Goddard & Lonie. I would love to see Curran McCartin McKenzie Acres and Templeton stake a claim and get some extra games in. If I feel at all flat its in anticipation something else could go wrong and set us further behind. So I see where Saintspremiers is coming from.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I expect a holding pattern this year but I think we can sneak in and play a final in 2017. Maybe finish 8th.
A lot to be excited about with:

Ross
Acres
Gresh
Billings
Paddy
DMac
Freeman (?)
Bruce
Webster
Lonie
Sinclair
Dunstan
Templeton (?)

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

70s sainter wrote:I just remembered why I don't go on saintsational anymore.
Back to the other one .
Yup. Fools who call Mc Cartin a fat diabetic thinks they can bag out supporters from the eighties.

Quality stuff on this forum nowdays.

You are garbage - Enough said
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

After watching yesterdays game I am concerned about our chances of improvement for several years. We are simply a team of developing kids running around who will be playing men. They have potential but we are like GWS as if we started 2 years ago. The other issue is our senior players are cooked. Our keys defenders are too small and old, our midfield will struggle again and are still developing cohesion. Our forwards are a long way off consistently dominating sides. Longer didnt play yesterday but as far as skillful ruckmen are concerned we dont have any!

Potential is something to be excited about but it is going to take time...

Even with the likes of Billings playing the teams collective skill levels are in the bottom four of AFL standards. Effort only takes you so far eg Josh Saunders. Our skilled kids are too immature and will take some time before they can consistently effect the results of games. 2018 is a long way ahead...

Long haul once again Saints supporters....but there is light.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Back to the other one .
Yup. Fools who call Mc Cartin a fat diabetic thinks they can bag out supporters from the eighties.

To be fair this type of comment is probably worse than a negative one. People are entitled to be negative if they want, I tend to find it interesting although more the optimist myself. See it as risk assessment exercise - there may be some truth in anything.

But I reckon we'll be playing finals before 2019.

Actually I think this season is totally interesting for one very big reason; it will let me personally know (rightly or wrongly) if we have the caliber within our nucleus or not. All names mentioned in this thread will need to become young bucks of the competition (this year) if we are to realistically win a grand final at any stage. Last years performance alludes to such a possibility.

I would go as far to say that if we do not finish top ten this season we won't win a grand final with this squad. Has to be top ten for me.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No I am excited as there are so many young players to watch grow and develop this year.

Billings looks ripe to be a player this year.
Lonie looks set to continue on.
Can Sinclair win more ball? (He just needs to find the ball more as he alread is quality with it)
Acres is threatening
Roberton will continue on
Newnes looks set to continue to bloom.

Yes McCartin needs another pre-season to get some muscle mass. Ditto for Goddard.

Plus will be interesting to see how Gilbert goes as a mid and he looks to have lightened down to take on the roll.

PS: There were many players not playing yesterday that will be in our best 22.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Back to the other one .

I don't know what you mean there.

I'm no fan of BigMart but I'm pretty sure it wasn't him that called McCartin a fat diabetic.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
happy feet
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Congrats on being a supporter in the 80s plugger

Put it on your resume...

Btw

I have been going to Saints games since early 70's and like the rest of us Big Mart have stuck with this team through many a bad season, and endured the ultimate success being so tantalingly close. Your no better or worse than any other supporter. I do get annoyed at the preferential treatment certain teams get from the AFL and I often wonder if I will see us win a premiership in my lifetime.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I always have hope every season, but what I don't want to see is a flat effort in the NAB cup. If I see a really competitive team who come away with a win, then I will be hopeful for the actual season.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The 80's weren't embarassing !
Okay for most of them we were a poor team , but going to the footy on a saturday afternoon at Moorabbin was F A R K E N awesome .
Dad on the turnstile letting me in for free
Lunch in the social club , then watch the last half of the reserve's
Kicking the footy after the game (even better when we won )
Sometimes you would get into the players room (even better when we won )
After match drinks in the social club ( even better when we won )
Saints Disco ( too young to go so i don't know if it was better when we won , However may be the reason why we didn't win too many games ! )

In red white and black from 73
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Who are our core-agers at the peak of their powers?

It is a very small group compared to most other clubs:

Gilbert
Armitage
Geary
Steven
Savage

That is it. Only 5 guys (most clubs have 8-12). This is the reason we wont play finals in 2016. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

But I get a lot of excitement from watching the next generation emerge. Who will step up from this lot? A few already have (e.g Bruce, Roberton, Newnes)
Remember we finished dead last out of 18 in 2014 so the worst is behind us. The only way is up from here.
To be honest I was much more negative and flat back in 2011-2013 when I knew the cliff was coming and the chance of a flag with that generation of players was lost. Things have improved a lot since those days.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 13 Feb 2016 5:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Back to the other one .

Yep, agree