Future of Etihad Stadium?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Grimfang
Club Player

Future of Etihad Stadium?

What is the future of Etihad Stadium?

Is this someone running a flag up the pole to gauge reaction or is the AFL killing off Etihad really on the cards?

Given the financial drag that we, the Doggies, Roos and later on, Carlton have suffered to pay for it (Essendon's sweetheart deal means they really haven't contributed); I am gutted to see we may not be rewarded with a decent deal once the stadium actually belongs to the AFL. If they did scrap it, you can take a guess which clubs would be expected to do the heavy lifting on the new stadium...

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
ctqs
Club Player

Re: Future of Etihad Stadium?

They've been talking about that for some years now. By the time the deal ends the stadium will be about 25 years old and Waverley didn't go for much longer than that before it was sold off for reevelopment.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I might be cynical saying this but I could see after the saints and bulldogs have paid off Etihad it will be sold and monies distributed evenly (screwing the teams that paid it off), and a new stadium built somewhere where the saints would have to again get a raw deal to pay it off, I have thought this for a while now as well, due to the inequality in the stadium deals and the little action by the afl on the issue

the dome
Club Player

AFL could impose Equal deal on tenant clubs

I'd like to think that the afl investors would wish to improve the deal done for the ripped off clubs who call The Dome 'Home'. However my sceptical side is saying no way the policy will be decided in terms of money coming in (perhaps involving a sale to retail developers) v's money going out (from the afl towards supporting all tenant clubs making an equal financial gain from the stadium. No special favours for essendon or anyone else, actually especially essendon only because income streams are hardly an issue for them.
I still think that the afl could have brokered a more inclusive tenancy deal way back in 2000.
Who knows getting a second go at it they just might. Fingers crossed.
I sincerely believe that St. Kilda; The Bulldogs; North and even The Blues & Dons would benefit more if the shonky legal underpinings of playing @ The Dome were rectified. With capacity for up-to 50,000 people unlike Ian Collins I think buying the place back a bit earlier than 2020 would greatly encourage those teams who call the Dome home. To maintain the current status quo for another 10 seasons (assuming another bigger stadium isn't built somewhere else in Melbourne) 'for financial reasons' is debilitating for the tenant clubs. I've heard that the Collins school of thought recommends 'business as usual' ie. wait to 2020 and pay $1 for ownership. But paying a negotiated and conservative price for a quicker buy-back may cost much less than many might imagine.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:I might be cynical saying this but I could see after the saints and bulldogs have paid off Etihad it will be sold and monies distributed evenly (screwing the teams that paid it off), and a new stadium built somewhere where the saints would have to again get a raw deal to pay it off, I have thought this for a while now as well, due to the inequality in the stadium deals and the little action by the afl on the issue
We just need a big jar of lube to make it as painless as possible...

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:They've been talking about that for some years now. By the time the deal ends the stadium will be about 25 years old and Waverley didn't go for much longer than that before it was sold off for reevelopment.
But the MCG is 163 years old.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Bowey Boy
Club Player

The Private Investors will have made their money. Time for a new project to bleed us again, - what a joke.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
ctqs wrote:They've been talking about that for some years now. By the time the deal ends the stadium will be about 25 years old and Waverley didn't go for much longer than that before it was sold off for reevelopment.
But the MCG is 163 years old.
The MCG land is owned by the government. It's in protected parkland that hopefully will never be allowed to be developed.

Etihad is in shitsville land that is privately owned and perfect for Chinese developers to build massive towers full of dog boxes that can be sold off and left empty for years.

Waverley's land was also privately owned and hence now housing after the AFL cashed in

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

There are so many forces at play on this: sitting on billion dollar real estate, the shitty towers all around it that cramps it, city of melbourne who think it blocks of their still born baby Docklands that they are desperately trying to bring to life, the ground being a bit too small so you get a lot of congested footy. Then at the bottom of it all and the least consideration is the footy fans who turn up in droves each week. The stadium was designed to suck the money out of them. Its great to get to and get into and out of but it lacks any personality. And fans resent that it costs their teams money which makes winning a flag harder.

I find it hard to believe the AFL would scrap it seeing as its still in a good condition and quite modern. When they get it keeping it going for at least another 10 years or so with a great deal for the tenants to give them a chance to really benefit from it. Hopefully we are already working as a block with all tenants to be an interest group pressing the AFL for a sweetheart deal that we have earned.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Etihad gone by 2025, Doyle is the first mouthpiece.... http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-12/e ... -bulldozed

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:Etihad gone by 2025, Doyle is the first mouthpiece.... http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-12/e ... -bulldozed
I hope you are not saying the AFL veto what Ashley Browne can report?

Surely not!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saintspremiers wrote:
IanRush wrote:Etihad gone by 2025, Doyle is the first mouthpiece.... http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-12/e ... -bulldozed
I hope you are not saying the AFL veto what Ashley Browne can report?

Surely not!
Deju vu...?

The League builds a ground, then vacates it to the bulldozers for a housing estate...?

Hmmmmm... I reckon what we do is take the $1 dollar peppercorn offer to shift our training there, pocket the $50+ million, give it a few token years... then go out and buy JO. :twisted:

It's a plan. :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Since TB is clearly slacking off... to just (slightly) correct a few figures posted earlier in this thread...

Hillbillies (Pluggsy knows whom I'm referring to) net $850K per home game at Hillbilly stadium.
That's on an average crowd of 26,000.
(BTW, that number attended the last Community Cup at JO just a couple of years back.)
The Hillbillies offered the Poodles (ask Pluggsy) $725K per home game to shift some of their's down the Princess Highway.
Our break-even at Dockedlands is 30,000 (I believe).
When we drew 26,000 (note that crowd number :idea: ) against the Swines recently... we paid Collo' $73K!!! :evil:
Do the sums...

JO is the go! We must get back home!

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:I might be cynical saying this but I could see after the saints and bulldogs have paid off Etihad it will be sold and monies distributed evenly (screwing the teams that paid it off), and a new stadium built somewhere where the saints would have to again get a raw deal to pay it off, I have thought this for a while now as well, due to the inequality in the stadium deals and the little action by the afl on the issue
I tend to agree with this. We pay off the mortgage and then the proceeds of the sale will be evenly distributed meaning we get screwed. I dont like it at all.
The clubs who did the heavy lifting (us, doggies, bombers) should get some kind of extra dividend to use on stadiums. I reckon the afl will announce $ to spend on Princess Park in the near future for use by Dogs, Norf, Blues, Bombers.

Imagine the JO with us and the Demons using it for 5 games per year each. And for cricket to use in the summer.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
I tend to agree with this. We pay off the mortgage and then the proceeds of the sale will be evenly distributed meaning we get screwed. I dont like it at all.
The clubs who did the heavy lifting (us, doggies, bombers) should get some kind of extra dividend to use on stadiums. I reckon the afl will announce $ to spend on Princess Park in the near future for use by Dogs, Norf, Blues, Bombers.

Imagine the JO with us and the Demons using it for 5 games per year each. And for cricket to use in the summer.
One little correction Con (I nearly typed three different letters :lol: )... the Drug Squadron haven't been doing any 'heavy lifting'... at least not re Dockedlands. Their sweetheart deal is very much performance enhanced in their favour.

As for the Dreamons on our JO. As unpalatable as that is, as long as we're based/training there, and they are just scum tenants, then I guess I could cope. :twisted: But we'd need to play more games there than them, which shouldn't be hard to manage.

For mine, and looking at the current playing arrangements of clubs, a dream fixture for us every year would be something like...

Home games:
JO
(Choose from: Shockers, E-girls, Teddies, SonofBeaches, Wogans, Swines, Crones, Teal Turkeys, Dreamons, Poodles, Nuff Nuff, and if having a bad year... any of the other Victorian teams except the Skunks. The old VFL-era proviso could alway exist, in that a match turned out to be a blockbuster, then it could be shifted to the MCG or Dockedlands)
MCG
Dockedlands
NZ: Dorkland (subject to them ever building a stadium larger than their GDP), or even still Wellington.

Away
Dorks in Lonny.
Nuff Nuff in Hobart.
Alice Springs. It's time! Time to give back to our Desert Saint! 8-)
As long as we get a few at the 'G so we can practice for the lap of honour at the end of September, then I don't care about the rest.

Although 'away' games, we could easily end-up muscling in on the Tassie market by stealth. :twisted: :twisted: Especially re Nuff Nuff.

(It's such a shame Pluggsy has been banned. But he's asked me to pass on to all his mates at SS, that he simply loves that fixture, and can't wait to buy everyone a beer at half time down at JO. :mrgreen: )

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

One little correction Con (I nearly typed three different letters :lol: )... the Drug Squadron haven't been doing any 'heavy lifting'... at least not re Dockedlands. Their sweetheart deal is very much performance enhanced in their favour.

As for the Dreamons on our JO. As unpalatable as that is, as long as we're based/training there, and they are just scum tenants, then I guess I could cope. :twisted: But we'd need to play more games there than them, which shouldn't be hard to manage.

For mine, and looking at the current playing arrangements of clubs, a dream fixture for us every year would be something like...

Home games:
JO
(Choose from: Shockers, E-girls, Teddies, SonofBeaches, Wogans, Swines, Crones, Teal Turkeys, Dreamons, Poodles, Nuff Nuff, and if having a bad year... any of the other Victorian teams except the Skunks. The old VFL-era proviso could alway exist, in that a match turned out to be a blockbuster, then it could be shifted to the MCG or Dockedlands)
MCG
Dockedlands
NZ: Dorkland (subject to them ever building a stadium larger than their GDP), or even still Wellington.

Away
Dorks in Lonny.
Nuff Nuff in Hobart.
Alice Springs. It's time! Time to give back to our Desert Saint! 8-)
As long as we get a few at the 'G so we can practice for the lap of honour at the end of September, then I don't care about the rest.

Although 'away' games, we could easily end-up muscling in on the Tassie market by stealth. :twisted: :twisted: Especially re Nuff Nuff.

(It's such a shame Pluggsy has been banned. But he's asked me to pass on to all his mates at SS, that he simply loves that fixture, and can't wait to buy everyone a beer at half time down at JO. :mrgreen: )
Is there any chance of even coming close to calling our opponents something resembling their names? My brain doesn't like thinking too much when I come on here.

As for the Junction Oval, what is happening there anyway? I thought the cricket had taken it over and yet if the Vics get a home final it will be played in Alice Springs. What's up with that?

For the amount of people state cricket gets nowadays they don't deserve the Junction Oval. They could easily play the final at the Albert Cricket Ground.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i would just like to endorse Dave's post 110%!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'm over this JO talk.

The club has no internet of moving there. Moorabbin is already the go for a VFL base.
We are too small and insignificant to have our own ground.
Any talk of major change to the situation requires a new CEO and board at AFL house.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:i would just like to endorse Dave's post 110%!
and my 110% makes it 220%
I know Dave's at about 250% - so we getting up there percentage wise

bigred
Saintsational Legend

The Junction oval is not going to happen. Need to let it go.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: I

Got any other useless information you wish to share with us Dave?

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Aren't there two issues here that are getting blurred.
1 StKFC finanacial arrangement that is obviously disgraceful and needs renegotiating
2 The physical future of the stadium

Point 2 is what I would like to discuss. Etihad is a fantastic venue. What other cities have a sports/music arena accross the road from the CBD and close to a major transport hub. (I know catching a train home can be a nightmare but surely fixable) Outrageous to think of knocking it down

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
amusingname
Club Player

The idea that Etihad is going to go has very little basis in reality from what I am told, more a case of Robert Doyle having to come up with some excuse for the continued turn over of tenants in the docklands area, which has little to nothing to do with the location of a football ground and a lot to do with overvaluation of the properties there from the outset.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

it's ok Eddie has aplan?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 2ef8a75cfd

but parking? and can't get 2 games at same time- or similiar,

maybe could park on the Holden centre

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Trouble brewing down West Baltimore way

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/j ... ne42u.html

Jeff Kennett squashes Eddie McGuire's plan for $1 billion stadium next to MCG
March 9, 2016 - 12:33PM
Matt Murnane

Former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett has bluntly shot down Eddie McGuire's idea to build a new $1 billion football stadium next to the MCG, referring to the ambitious proposal as already "dead and buried".

The Collingwood president put forward the grand plan in a newspaper article on Wednesday, but Kennett appeared on Melbourne radio on Wednesday morning to point out a key problem with revamping the Olympic Park precinct – which would reportedly require Hisense Arena to be shifted above the railway lines.

Etihad Stadium would be demolished as part of the proposal, while the new stadium - dubbed "Victoria Stadium" - would fit 60,000 people and have a retractable roof in the Olympic Park precinct.

It's understood key stakeholders, including Premier Daniel Andrews, have been briefed on McGuire's plan.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.