Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Positives

Hickey
Centre Clearances
Quick hands in close
Goals from defensive 20 without the opposition touching it....5 ( total of 9 for the whole year in 2015 )
Acres... Some serious game time
Kick outs...Not one rebound goal. ( Last year we were last in the league )
Billings ...first game for 9 months

I'll leave the negatives for others.

The_President
Club Player

Re: Positives

I think Acres is the type of player than just needs to play a large chuck of footy uninterrupted and he'll blossom. He might throw in the odd stinker.. but in the long run he seems like the extract type of player that we lack

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Good summary Tony.

The negative for me is we had a bad last quarter and lost.

Port is still our nemesis.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saint_J
Club Player

Acres, quality in this kid just needs more time on the park. JL another shining star. i think after a alittle tinkering we will have a very good team in a few seasons.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Loving the depth and spread of our midfield. Its what we've been missing relying on too few to do too much. The hard running from players requires a lot of trust because some of your running is unrewarded. But when players got in trouble there was almost always someone there who had run hard to support. So many goals came from midfield running in waves which oppo coaches just can't stop. Really encouraging the way we played the game on our terms until we ran out of gas in the last quarter. So much upside - Gresham, McCArtin, Goddard, Freeman, Sinclair, Lonie and Billings can be better, Acres can be our Cripps - a beast with height and athleticism. The team really play for each other and for the coach. I was really suprised and proud today. It was a tough opener against a potential top 4 team at home and we came through with flying colours (except for being able to run the game out in the last qtr) We scared the s*** out of Port.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Well put Tony. I was dreading today's game and now I am smiling. So many upsides to today.

Just broke into a broad smile when I read of Paddy's practice match for Sandy - 25 disposals, 15 marks and 7 goals. Say no more!

Saint supporter since '62
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Hickey
Centre Clearances
Quick hands in close
Goals from defensive 20 without the opposition touching it....5 ( total of 9 for the whole year in 2015 )

Good post. That goal where we went backwards and then worked it fwd with precision kicking until Gilbo kicked the goal from 3m out had me out of my seat.
I was thinking 'we NEVER do that'. It was Hawthorn like. We actually had two spare blokes in the goal square at the end of that passage.
Normally we cant string more than 2-3 foot passes together but I reckon on that play we strung about 8 precision kicks together. Was terrific to watch.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 28 Mar 2016 12:23am, edited 1 time in total.

St Loxton
Club Player

The first 3 quarters were bloody beautiful. Their was some lovely linking play to get excited about.
Clearances work was solid too. Best thing is its only going to improve.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

10 goal kickers...good spread.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We nearly won a game that we were supposed to be flogged in!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Heaps.... We dominated clearances in the first times I remember since Gardiner, Lenny, CJ, NDS and Bally.
Hickey, Steven, Armo, Ross, Joey were outstanding

Lacked a key fwd, key defender but it was done on purpose to give us more run and spread and pressure skills.

Often Trengrove or Carlisle was matched to Gresham/Templeton/Lonie.... (When we tired in the last we just bombed it, and they had an 'outnumber') but it worked early, when we ran it though the press and got out the back...

We also had Robbo on the 199 Westhoff and Dempster on Schultz, obviously Fish on 200cm 100kg Dixon
Perfect world
Fisher on Scultz
Dempster on Gray

Mav did pretty well... Pressure was immense for 3qtrs

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Lonie was lively for 3Q

Nee!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Leonie was really good in patches and stuffed up a few times.... He's a good young player who'll get better

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

We did this without Roo today who was well beaten...

It feels like it's been a long time since we've seen such a brave effort with Rooey single handedly keeping us in the game.

Not a knock on Roo but I feel like that's a positive

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Well put Tony. I was dreading today's game and now I am smiling. So many upsides to today.

Just broke into a broad smile when I read of Paddy's practice match for Sandy - 25 disposals, 15 marks and 7 goals. Say no more!
15 is a lot of marks.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I though Seb Ross finally showed the kind of form that I have been waiting for. By the end of this year I reckon he'll be averaging about 26 touches per game. Fumbled a bit when he tired, like most of our guys, but he's moving better and covering more ground

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Centre Clearances
Quick hands in close

And we all know there'll be plenty of them.

Good summary, and for three quarters was fantastic to watch. Saints played an entertaining brand of football

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Centre Clearances
Quick hands in close

And we all know there'll be plenty of them.

Good summary, and for three quarters was fantastic to watch. Saints played an entertaining brand of football

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Must say also whilst Eli faded in and out he did look like he may be a footballer rather than a no hoper.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Eli was not disgraced. Ok he didnt get enough ball But he has barely played. When he did get it he looked clean and smart.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Eli was not disgraced. Ok he didnt get enough ball But he has barely played. When he did get it he looked clean and smart.
In templeton's first 5 games before that horrible fractured humerus, I thought his best attribute was his decision making and execution going inside 50. Distinctly remember Richo praising that element of his talent...thought yesterday he showed glimpses of that again. Hoping he can get a good run at it and build his possession count to be more around the 15-20 touches per game compared with around 10!

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Thought Seb Ross played well. Could be in for a big year.

Hope Acres plays every game this year, will do him wonders.

seano1
Club Player

i`m positive Gilbert is getting close to Daniels as the worst kick in VFL/AFL history

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I was absolutely delighted considering Port are top 4 material. Sure the final quarter was disappointing, but we just ran out of legs. I think the missed practice match contributed to that.

Hickey had a mighty game, all the Hickey doubters should man up and say they were wrong. The best rucking display I've seen from a St Kilda ruckman for a long time. Better than any game McEvoy played for us in terms of rucking dominance. He actually destroyed quite a decent ruckman. We have a new Dean Cox in the making.

Our pressure (as it was last year) was fantastic. You gotta love Billings, Acres, Lonie, Dunstan & young Gresham, the basis of formidable midfield.

We are moving forward nicely, we are well drilled by a fine Coach. There is plenty to look forward to.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I was absolutely delighted considering Port are top 4 material. Sure the final quarter was disappointing, but we just ran out of legs. I think the missed practice match contributed to that.

Hickey had a mighty game, all the Hickey doubters should man up and say they were wrong. The best rucking display I've seen from a St Kilda ruckman for a long time. Better than any game McEvoy played for us in terms of rucking dominance. He actually destroyed quite a decent ruckman. We have a new Dean Cox in the making.

Our pressure (as it was last year) was fantastic. You gotta love Billings, Acres, Lonie, Dunstan & young Gresham, the basis of formidable midfield.

We are moving forward nicely, we are well drilled by a fine Coach. There is plenty to look forward to.
What have you against Seb?