Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Positives

Because there has been a tone of hysterical negativity floating around this thread is dedicated to the positives.

I looked back at Jade Greshams 2015 highlights....the kid will be an elite mid in my opinion. His highlights are as good at Darcy Parish and Clayon Oliver when comparing them and he seems like a level headed kid.

Jake Carlise is an outstanding 'All Australian' defender. Good enough for Clarkson to fly to Las Vegas, knock on his hotel room door and ask him to play for the Hawks. Want a player that could be as good as Rooey......imagine him when he is 27-28. This guy can seriously play.....both ends of the ground.

Jack Billings is fantastic

Paddy Mcartin
Didn't accidentaly come from nowhere as a no 1 pick.
Great leader, good hands, good set shot. The mark at his feet was very athletic. Loved the Lonie to McArtin passage..:) and you know what he signed......with words like...."It'd be fantastic to be a one-club player. That'd be awesome, but I'm just a small part of it. I'm on the journey. I'll be around as long as the Saints need me," he said. "It's a place I've absolutely loved so far. It's been unreal." Tom Boyd left his club for money and Jesse Hogan has put 'contract talks off' no doubt going to rip the hearts out of Melbourne supporters and play for Freo. He is loyal and loves our club.....we should get behind him, give our kids someone to barrack for....not kick the 19yr old that's played less than 8 games.

Hugh Goddard
A steal at pick 21. 196cm key position player, will be an elite defender standing next to Jake for the next 8 years.

So yeah we need some elite midfield talent...that will come in the next two drafts.
But I sleep well knowing our bookends are very good....add Bruce, Membry to the forwards. We do not need to go and spend overs for a big bloke because we have them now.

We are in the position to spend overs for midfield talent and add to a very good group of hard working midfielders in Dunstan, Steven, armitage, Ross, Weller, through the draft and either free agency or players out of contract.

Some positivity in a very negative space but all of this will require patience.....not great knowing we will have another tough year ahead by round 2 I get that, but that's reality....there still is a lot to b excited about.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: Positives

McCartin had an average draft year by number 1 pick standards. He looked better as an underager tbh. Kicked 6 in a game & crunched Dom Sheed like a freight train busting Dom's shoulder.

It was pretty much consensus among recruiters that Petracca was pick 1. I recall an arrival stating all but 2 clubs (us one of them) would've taken CP with pick 1.

IMO the Boyd 1mill deal scared us off...& at that point we had Bruce pegged as a defender.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It will be interesting to watch because from the little i've read the knock of Petracca was his scope for improvement...

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Christian had been training at a significantly higher standard than most of the others around his level so whilst he was clearly the better then, the knock was his ceiling for improvement.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Figjam MkII was also somewhat widely reported.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stkfc1
Club Player

Nice post Recruit. Its not all doom and gloom. Comparing ourselves to comp averages we are around the mark in most areas except (no surprises) DE 71% - 74% and turnovers 85-66. Centre clearances are our best stat 85-66 so we're getting first use we're just stuffing it up when we do. Unfortunately we aren't the most skilled side so I think the fad of fast flowing game play is exposing our poor foot skills. Not sure if this is something we can fix short term but as Recruit stated our bookends are going to be fine, add some polish in the middle over next two years and things will turn around quickly.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward to Carlisle turning into Nick Riewoldt in a couple of years :D

saint-stu
Club Player

I don't like to count my chickens, but also if we can get Freezer right!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-13/e ... an-freeman

Interesting both Freezer and Gresham base their game on Luke Shuey. I didn't realise Gresh was indigenous.

1ac46a38
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

yes these are positives but are there positives around previous drafting efforts?

Dunstan, Acres, Longer, Hickey?

These guys were once wearing the 'potential tag' a la paddy, billings d-mac gresham etc...now where are they?

These guys / this era of recruiting will be equally important to us so we have to see some A grade quality come from it if we are to be any sort of premiership hope in the future

#1 Ryder fan
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Swan won't be lining up for the Pies this week, that's a positive.

Loves playing against us, usually books himself a lazy 40 touches and 3 goals.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote:McCartin had an average draft year by number 1 pick standards. He looked better as an underager tbh. Kicked 6 in a game & crunched Dom Sheed like a freight train busting Dom's shoulder.

It was pretty much consensus among recruiters that Petracca was pick 1. I recall an arrival stating all but 2 clubs (us one of them) would've taken CP with pick 1.

IMO the Boyd 1mill deal scared us off...& at that point we had Bruce pegged as a defender.
+ 1. We panicked after the Boyd deal. Petracca was the consensus pick 1.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Swan won't be lining up for the Pies this week, that's a positive.

Loves playing against us, usually books himself a lazy 40 touches and 3 goals.
Good point. He loved playing us.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:yes these are positives but are there positives around previous drafting efforts?

Dunstan, Acres, Longer, Hickey?

These guys were once wearing the 'potential tag' a la paddy, billings d-mac gresham etc...now where are they?

These guys / this era of recruiting will be equally important to us so we have to see some A grade quality come from it if we are to be any sort of premiership hope in the future
Acres is only 20 yo. Still wearing the 'potential' tag.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

From where we were with an aging list about to fall off the cliff, we've been brave with trading and set a determined course to get a brand new team together in pretty damn quick time. Starting next year we actually have the basis of our new team that I think can compete at a high level (eventually)

- 3 big backs - Carlisle, Goddard, Roberton
- Halfback rebounders - Savage, Webster, White, Rice, McKenzie
- Mids - Armo, Steven, Billings, Gresham, Dunstan, Ross, Acres, FReeman, Newnes
- 2 power forwards - Paddy, Bruce
- Medium leading tall forward - positon available
- Small/half forwards - Lonie, Sinclair, Weller, Eli
- Rucks - Hickey, Longer

Chuck in further high draft picks over the next two years (probably a quick skillful midfielder or two but maybe another good forward too) and our depth players and the squad starts to look pretty good. We are building an explosive style list with some real x-factor and creativity and almost all with good kicking. Next year we will start to get all these young talented cats on the field together and thats when they can start to get in sync with each other and the Richo system. It will probably take a year of that before it really comes together but when it does you get he sum being greater than the parts that all good teams have.

So I'm generally positive but it does take time. It's like seeing all the pieces of a new car lying around not doing much and wondering how its possibly meant to roar you down the road at 100 km an hour. All the parts have to come together to make it really take off. Unfortunately patience is in short supply around here lately

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Everyone should watch the 1st half again - the Dogs are in perfect nick, and we kept up for the most part. They certainly didn't have it all their own way.

If the Gresham handball doesn't get intercepted, the difference at half time is 2 goals. A simple mistake from a 2nd gamer that would come off 9 times out of 10, he just made it a bit easy to read.

We dropped our heads a bit in the 2nd half, and both teams tired in the last quarter.

We will win this week.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I wanted to see us play with the spirit that a depleted Essendon had in their win. We had everything to gain..Roo's 300th, playing in front of our home crowd, and ended up with heads hung low, giving up the chase. No confidence at all that we will do any good against the Pies sadly.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I wanted to see us play with the spirit that a depleted Essendon had in their win. We had everything to gain..Roo's 300th, playing in front of our home crowd, and ended up with heads hung low, giving up the chase. No confidence at all that we will do any good against the Pies sadly.
Wow so you think the team normally plays at 90% and for the big games they can decide to crank it up to 100%. Lucky you're not our coach "Hey guys just play at 90% for most of the year. For the important games try and crank it up to the full 100% effort". That's a great way to improve a team - by picking and choosing when to go the full 100%.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Based on the YouTube videos McCartin and Goddard are at least 2 years away from playing good AFL footy. Don't expect anything from the Saints until 2018.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
arpstk
Club Player

Ok I get it 2 losses looks bad but I'm sticking fat and I hope Richo does too with Paddy, Gresh may go back as Acres will be better at the G.

Port at Port is acceptable loss ( A game except last quarter)
Bulldogs are flying and best team in comp at Etihad at moment (B game first half... C game thereafter)
Magpies are beatable if we bring our A-game with Swan and Sidebottom out...

We will continue to get better and our A game can match all but top four, depending on venue which is normal for young team.

Loving the anticipation of 2016 bring on the Pies

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Myron Gaines wrote:McCartin had an average draft year by number 1 pick standards. He looked better as an underager tbh. Kicked 6 in a game & crunched Dom Sheed like a freight train busting Dom's shoulder.

That is totally made up rubbish.

I know 2 people that work in recruiting at two different AFL clubs. One club had Paddy as the clear #1 & the other couldn't split them (& would have gone either way depending on club needs). So that's at least 2 clubs plus St Kilda that had Paddy as the top or equal #1... consensus may suit your conspiracy theory but it's way off the mark.

The Boyd rubbish is a conspiracy theory that has no merit. Even if Bruce had already enjoyed his breakout year the club would have taken Paddy.

Paddy's top age year was injury affected & that's why he wasn't as dominant the the champs as the previous year.

He's a pure footballer & will make a lot of muppets on this thread (& the other tripe thread) eat their hat in years to come.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I know 2 people that work in recruiting at two different AFL clubs. One club had Paddy as the clear #1 & the other couldn't split them (& would have gone either way depending on club needs). So that's at least 2 clubs plus St Kilda that had Paddy as the top or equal #1... consensus may suit your conspiracy theory but it's way off the mark.

The Boyd rubbish is a conspiracy theory that has no merit. Even if Bruce had already enjoyed his breakout year the club would have taken Paddy.

Paddy's top age year was injury affected & that's why he wasn't as dominant the the champs as the previous year.

He's a pure footballer & will make a lot of muppets on this thread (& the other tripe thread) eat their hat in years to come.
Let me guess, the two clubs you are aware of are interstate clubs?

I read an article on the official AFL site & that's where they (Twomey I think) said two clubs had PM at #1 whilst the rest had CP at #1.

In re to the Boyd situation influencing our decision to draft a KPP....well that's common sense but also my opinion.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Made up rubbish? A conspiracy theory? You sure?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... j2ybw.html
"Most definitely," said Richardson. "I look at what's just happened with [Tom] Boyd. There's always midfielders. Let's say we can't split them and we go with [Christian] Petracca because his history suggests he might play a bit more and have a bigger impact next year. There's no doubt he might do that. But then we've got to back the truck up and get Tom Hawkins out of Geelong, or whatever the case may be. I think that certainly comes into it. But before that even comes into it, it's reassuring for Trout to say, "No, this guy is the better player, he's the best player in the draft'."

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

For the record I am pro Paddy and think he will be fine and is the least of our worries. The fact is that CP was clear majority #1 pick but this doesnt really worry me. I feel it is the least of our overall problems right now.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 04 Apr 2016 4:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

"Most definitely," said Richardson. "I look at what's just happened with [Tom] Boyd. There's always midfielders. Let's say we can't split them and we go with [Christian] Petracca because his history suggests he might play a bit more and have a bigger impact next year. There's no doubt he might do that. But then we've got to back the truck up and get Tom Hawkins out of Geelong, or whatever the case may be. I think that certainly comes into it. But before that even comes into it, it's reassuring for Trout to say, "No, this guy is the better player, he's the best player in the draft'."

Um Con, did you catch the last line of what you just posted

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Um Con, did you catch the last line of what you just posted
Yes - but the Tom Boyd issue played a role. It is not rubbish nor a conspiracy. It is fact. Trout said that PM was the best player but Richo thought CP was the best player but that getting a key fwd in the future was going to be too hard ('Back the truck up to get Tom Boyd') so was happy to go along with PM.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What year was Jake Carlisle All Australian?!