"Acres is slow"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_President
Club Player

"Acres is slow"

For all the people on this board that sound like a broken record when it comes to Acres.
Just watch that break away from the centre that ended up with Roo kicking s goal. He absolutely BURNT Billy Hartung.

Just because he lopes, doesn't mean he's slow!
He'll be a star!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: "Acres is slow"

More a bit slow in decision making not slow by foot

You are garbage - Enough said
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

He's going to be awesome. Can't wait to see more of yesterday's glimpses.

Always loyal
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Think Billy is a lair way ahead of Acres ATM. As seen yesterday, Hartung was one of Hawthorns best, has played more senior footy and is a good chance to be better for a while.

Bit like the Wells and Goddard comparison. 3 years in Wells was far superior, 4th year he had reached a ceiling, Goddard was still on an upward trend with a higher ceiling. 10 years on... Wells is a very handy and dangerous player, gun at times. Goddard is generally excellent an a gun more often.

I think Acres has a greater chance of becoming a boom, with a chance of bust. Billy is a sure thing but probably won't boom.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Think Billy is a lair way ahead of Acres ATM. As seen yesterday, Hartung was one of Hawthorns best, has played more senior footy and is a good chance to be better for a while.

Bit like the Wells and Goddard comparison. 3 years in Wells was far superior, 4th year he had reached a ceiling, Goddard was still on an upward trend with a higher ceiling. 10 years on... Wells is a very handy and dangerous player, gun at times. Goddard is generally excellent an a gun more often.

I think Acres has a greater chance of becoming a boom, with a chance of bust. Billy is a sure thing but probably won't boom.
Hartung is nearly a year older than Blake.

And Wells won the B and F in 2011 and 2013 so no idea what you are on about there.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Think Billy is a lair way ahead of Acres ATM. As seen yesterday, Hartung was one of Hawthorns best, has played more senior footy and is a good chance to be better for a while.

I don't agree with your opinion

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

What is faster? A Greyhound or a bull?

Put it another way, which one would do the most damge if they ran through you?

Acres is more bull than Greyhound. He is in the business of playing football; didn't see him among the entrants at the Stawell Gift.

Will be a gun for us in coming seasons, like many of his team mates.

Saint supporter since '62
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:

I don't agree with your opinion
BM also thinks Geelong are going to win the flag and that Rhys Stanley is Polly Farmer so he has some wacky ideas.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Acres is going to an absolute midfield beast.

A couple of his straight line, through the pack bursts were brilliant yesterday, and a sign of things to come.

He reads the play and traffic beautifully, shrugs tackles strongly, just needs more experience/confidence.

An absolute beast.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Agreed. That midfield burst with the long kick to our forwards was mouth watering. Needs to stay in the firsts.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

This is an interesting what-if. Considering Goddard took a long time to bloom, might we have been
better off recruiting Wells? A skilled midfielder would have been very handy in our finals series of
04-05. Might have been the difference, in fact. Granted Goddard was a superstar in 2010.

karnak
Club Player

I also loves his run past Geary a second before Geary was knocked out. Had Geary had passed it to Blacers we were off and away.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont want to get caught up in Goodard v Wells conversation as it is irrelevant to Blake Acres. No doubt Goddard took a while to come good at AFL level but if you want to name a player who started well and then didnt improve Wells is a poor example. As I said he won B&Fs in 2011 and 2013 in his late 20s so a terrible example for this. I am sure there are dozens of good examples. All are irrelevant anyway as we only used a pick 18/19 on Acres and he is still only 20yo. By 22 he could be a gun already.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure that soon he will be a hectare

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I always thought he looked slow but when Richo said a few years ago he had the best athletic profile at the club I stopped worrying

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

"But the Earth is patient"

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At 22

The age an exactly the same size Goddard (189cm, 92kg) took to flourish??

Btw
Has Wells ever been considered in the elite of the comp??
Him winning awards in an average team is akin to Jack Stevens wiinning in 2013-2015
Means he's a good footballer, better than a bunch of average ones at his club, but there's a reason why the teams average...

There's not any better.

Wells has never been considered amongst the games elite. Just a handy player with nice skills.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:At 22

The age an exactly the same size Goddard (189cm, 92kg) took to flourish??

Btw
Has Wells ever been considered in the elite of the comp??
Him winning awards in an average team is akin to Jack Stevens wiinning in 2013-2015
Means he's a good footballer, better than a bunch of average ones at his club, but there's a reason why the teams average...

There's not any better.

Wells has never been considered amongst the games elite. Just a handy player with nice skills.
BJ kept growing.

Hes actually closer to 192cm