Midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Midfield

Discuss.

How long has Turtle been in charge?

I know he came as an offensive coach, is this a recent thing?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Midfield

Pretty concerning that they weren't willing to run from the first bounce. At least do SOMETHING to earn your $20,000 match fee or whatever the F*&k they're getting paid.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I believe Adam Kingsley is the Assistant Coach- Midfield.

Better if Mark Spargo has a chat to the players, one at a time.
Mark Spargo is the Sports Psychologist.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sun 05 Jun 2016 8:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
loris
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Who is Turtle?
Ditto???????

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Is it Adam Kingsley - Assistant Coach (Midfield) ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
chook23
Saintsational Legend

No midfielder should get a vote....

Almost impossible to give any.

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Yes that's him

Very popular amongst the players, I just missed him making the transition to the midfield and wonder if there is any correlation?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
Yes that's him

Very popular amongst the players, I just missed him making the transition to the midfield and wonder if there is any correlation?
Who was the Midfield coach before?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Who was the Midfield coach before?
The Tortoise.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Steven is carrying the midfield .... Output consistently high

Armo is up and down in games

Ross has been good, but is an accumulator... As is Newnes ... They are not huge impact players

Dunstan and Billings get a lot of opportunity and are not producing enough

Roo is a good connect mid... But woeful at a ground level

We have a poor midfield

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I think there is a lot riding on acres development. Essential we get him right.

I've posted this before but Membrey gives a ton of effort and would like to see him trialed in a couple clearances. He's got the size and decent burst speed. Think knightmare on BF had him pegged as a potential future midfielder when he was drafted

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Probably Ross's quietest game of the year. Sloane gave him a lesson. Can cut him some slack though cause he's been fantastic. Steven having a great season. Armo been in and out. Not the impact he had last year when he was a beast and unstoppable at times. Gresh will be great but too young atm. Who else is putting their hand up? Who else has made a significant contribution in there this year. Dunstan for a couple of quarters, but that's about it.

Hickey been good too. Tried his arse off today but was well beaten.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Dunstan has had 8 good quarter out of 36

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Steven is carrying the midfield .... Output consistently high

Armo is up and down in games

Ross has been good, but is an accumulator... As is Newnes ... They are not huge impact players

Dunstan and Billings get a lot of opportunity and are not producing enough

Roo is a good connect mid... But woeful at a ground level

We have a poor midfield
Ross, fitter by far but...Two things haven't changed... he's awful in space as he's slow and can't kick accurately over distance. No second efforts defensively.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Dunstan has had 8 good quarter out of 36
I noticed Dunstan do something in most of the centre clearances and around the ground- when the ball was bounced, and a Crow got it, he threw his head back as if to say "not again!" and didn't try to run at all towards the player, or another Crow nearby who might get a handball receive.
Did not give effort. You have to at least run to make a contest :twisted: :evil:

saintbob
SS Life Member

I've said it before we have too many mids one paced and who play the same sought of game.

Stevens is the only one with speed who can break the lines, but while he's get 30 so does his opponent.

Richo needs to get Acres and Minch into the midfield and leave them there for the rest of the year, a bit of pace and something different.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:I've said it before we have too many mids one paced and who play the same sought of game.

Stevens is the only one with speed who can break the lines, but while he's get 30 so does his opponent.

Richo needs to get Acres and Minch into the midfield and leave them there for the rest of the year, a bit of pace and something different.
How the hell will he fit them in the team when the priority is to play Gilbo and Roo in the midfield and Joey rotating with the backs?

Heaven forbid if we did something radical like playing minch, acres, sinclair and dmac all in the same team!!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it the year to play those mentioned?

Could they do any worse?

It's not like this week it would dawn on everyone that finals are out of the question.

Play them, play them all.

I'd also try guys in other positions.

Give Gears, Weller, even Membrey some midfield time.

Why not?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

By some miracle we need to Acres and Freeman to come good and become consistent guns.
we arent going to make finals with Armo, Dunstan and Ross.
Steven is a lone wolf out there a lot of the time.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:By some miracle we need to Acres and Freeman to come good and become consistent guns.
we arent going to make finals with Armo, Dunstan and Ross.
Steven is a lone wolf out there a lot of the time.
Sadly you are right. We have an A-grader and a few Bs and no elites. And the backline looked all at sea without Fisher

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Isn't it the year to play those mentioned?

Could they do any worse?

It's not like this week it would dawn on everyone that finals are out of the question.

Play them, play them all.

I'd also try guys in other positions.

Give Gears, Weller, even Membrey some midfield time.

Why not?
Like you said they could not do any worse and at least we'd be giving the next generation of players a chance to develop their skills and gain experience. How the hell is the team going to improve and grow in confidence if we just keep giving Gilbo and Roo (and the same ol' same ol') the same ol' tasks?

We showed up against Adelaide and we gave them exactly what they expected. Where was there any planning or any element of innovation or outfoxing the opposition?

If the coach shows some confidence in some of the youngsters and gives them a task interstate they could surprise. I want to see Minch and Acres get games this year and also Dmac and Sinclair. I don't want to see Murdoch dropped for Lonie either. Give the youth a fair go!!

With Ross Lyon it was his role players getting preference instead of youth, with Watters he was fighting the unwinnable battle against the senior players and now with Richo we just seem to be hanging on to our old warriors as if we're North or Sydney or Hawthorn and as if we need them for premiership window. Get real Saints!!

There's the hope that we are ready to play finals rather than the expectation imo. We're hanging on due to respect and too much sentimentality imho which is getting in the way of our rebuild.

Steven, Armo, Gears, Newnes and the other boys are ready to take the club forward. Bruce, Hickey, and many of our youger players like Ross and Dunstan will also be good leaders.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Rightly or wrongly in rebuilding our list the club has decided to leave aquiring elite mids till last. The problem with being deficient of quality mids in the "engine room" that it really hurts you every game. It is easier to maska deficient forward line or backline thana poor midfield.

It makes me very nervous that the club seems to be relying on FA to gain such mids and I remain sceptical of this.

As to this year unfortunately there does not seem to be a lot of options as there is not much on offer in our reserves at Sandy. Acres has shown flashes, and one whole game, but that is all. We need whole games.

Temps. Probably worth another shot, but while getting better after his shocking injury still needs to improve.

Billings. May be worth trying more in the midfield, but the disappointing thing this season for somebody with elite ball skills is they have not been.

Membrey. Has shown a lot since coming in to play HFF, a position which has been vacant since Hamill had to prematurelly pull up stumps. Has only played 19 games. So I would leave him where he is going ok ina positon that we badly need.

Geary. Has been tried as a mid in the past with little success. With a poor offensive game and no real pace I don't see why he would be better than for example Ross. and most likelya lot worse.

Weller. Has played ok as a defensive mid and so yes expect him to still line upthere on occassion.

Today however it was not just the midfield as about two thirds of our team lacked intensity and workrate. From a coaching perspective the question for me today is why did the coaches not have the players contributing way, way more, rather than where individual players were playing. You get thrashed by 80+ points when the teams go missing, rather than just through poor tactics or match-ups.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We need quality defenders. Premierships have been built on defense

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Be interesting to see how many changes Richo makes? Probably one if he has his way. Goddard injured.

Dunstan, Gilbert and Billings are obvious outs for me, but you watch he wont drop them.
Roberton is the classic down hill skier of whom I have never been a fan. For a tall 194cm player he plays like a midget, goes to ground far too often and is out bodied by players much smaller than him.

Time to give Minchington & Templeton consistent midfield game time to replace Dunstan & Billings.

Brandon White to debut in lieu of Gilbert.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:We need quality defenders. Premierships have been built on defense
Yes, our backline is on the nose, hopefully our "Academy" is producing the next batch as we speak..

:lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?