Goodbye Mr Chips?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Goodbye Mr Chips?

I thought I would see what the general feeling was looking ahead to 2017 and the liklihood that one of either Chips Fisher or Dempster should be retired. If you look back at my posting history, i've been a staunch Fisher supporter even thru his injury ravaged campaigns. I thought last year and this year he would be an asset, because when fit he is simply in our best 22 still and makes us a better footy side.

I have come to the comclusion though, that we should move on one of either he or Dempster at seasons end, because we simply must develop more key position defenders that will take us to a next flag tilt. The debate about who is better placed to fill a need next year is interesting, and the debate about weather one needs to go at all is one i'm happy to start.

I've come to the opinion that we should salute Mr Chips at seasons end, regardless of how he can finish the year. With Carlisle waiting in the wings, and Fishers athleticism diminshed to the point where i dont think he will provide the run and carry required of a smaller rebounding defender, he no longer helps with our plans going forward. It doesn't give me any joy writing that as I've always rated him so highly...but the weekend just chrystalised in my mind the need to really 'move on' with our rebuild, even if him being not on the list may affect our performance next year,. we simply have to look beyond and who will take us to the next level, and it must come from a younger player.

Does this mean Dempster stays on the list as well? He is younger, appears to have maintained more athletisicm then Fisher, although probably isn't as good a kick, and not quite as big, could probably play that second tall defender more effectively than Chips IMO...certainly room for debate, and if chips comes back and smokes the rest of the year...i would be the happiest man on this forum, but perhaps to get to the next level of our rebuild, another sentimental link to a fabled recent era will be culled/or his body may decide that for him anyways....only time will tell.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Re: Goodbye Mr Chips?

Last year for both I hope

stonecold
SS Life Member

As much as I love Chippa, I think it's in the best interests of the club that he move on next year!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Madness.

Both will be crucial to ensuring the development of the future backline. And hopefully, with any luck they will now be afforded the luxury of playing roles that suit them as opposed to roles they've been forced to hold down due to severe personnel deficiencies.

There's a reason guys like Steve Johnson and Corey Enright are kept around by clubs.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I agree that it makes little sense to move on two players in good form simply because of their birthdate...make the kids earn their spots, put them on the park with their mentors and watch them develop whilst building a winning culture, much the same as the Hawks and Geelong. I'm sure the club won't be pushing them off a cliff any time soon. If they make the decision themselves, that's another story.

#gosaintas
Club Player

They are the ones stifling the development of the future backline. Do you really propose playing Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert, Joey and Geary next year in the backline? With Carlisle back, that leaves room for nobody. That's not development. Time for the class of 09/10 to go. We shouldn't be a retirement village.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:Madness.

Both will be crucial to ensuring the development of the future backline. And hopefully, with any luck they will now be afforded the luxury of playing roles that suit them as opposed to roles they've been forced to hold down due to severe personnel deficiencies.

There's a reason guys like Steve Johnson and Corey Enright are kept around by clubs.
Cause their clubs are a lot closer to success than us, anyway Geelong got rid of Stevie J and others so they could expose and develop younger players. Most years one or two older players are transitioned out of successful clubs!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love Chippa, but, he's time is up!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

No surprise from me - Dempster to retire. I don't think he is in our best 22 anymore. I was thinking Fish to retire too but with Goddard prob not due back until at least halfway through next year, then maybe another year. With Carlisle to take the number 1 forward, that frees Fish up to use his good kicking. He's one of the few players we have who I feel relaxed when he has the ball as he almost always hits a target and we keep possession.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Johnson was picked up by a side with an inexperienced forward line.

I'd be absolutely flummoxed if the club moved these two on. Utterly gobsmacked.

We are nowhere near the level yet where we can be discarding 200 game veterans like these two.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Madness.

Hate to break it to you but Steve Johnson left Geelong. It is understandable that GWS want him because they lack older players.
We already have Joey and Roo.

Both of Enright and Bartel wont be there next year. Bartel might play one more.

If a 35 and 33 year old are 'crucial' for us next year then we have some problems. You would think Dempster will go around one more time but I doubt Fisher will.

I will tell you who will be crucial - his name is Jake Carlise.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 16 Jun 2016 7:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

GAMES
Geary 132
Gilbert 169
Roberton 92
Delaney 60
Carlisle 85

Don't panic. We'll have tonnes of experience next year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:GAMES
Geary 132
Gilbert 169
Roberton 92
Delaney 60
Carlisle 85

Don't panic. We'll have tonnes of experience next year.
Savage 100
Newnes 70
Montagna 260.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

One or both may choose to retire, happens

felix
Club Player

Not convinced Goddard has it or that Carlise will be fit or Lee for that matter.may need classy insurance .

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Fisher and Dempster for as long as possible.

#gosaintas
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:Fisher and Dempster for as long as possible.

Good idea. Never retire. Never surrender. Bring back 2009.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

A PROTEST SONG FROM DYLAN (ROBERTON)

Come gather 'round list committee
Wherever you roam
And admit that the oldies
Around you are groanin
And accept it that soon
They'll be worn to the bone.
If this club to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start refreshing
Or we''ll sink our rebuild like a stone
For the backline it needs a-changin'.

Come Carlisle say critics
Who snapchats coke with his friends
And keep your eyes wide
Because we'll probably see it again
And don't speak too soon
For Jake's still in a spin
And there's no tellin' who
he's partying with
He looks a loser now
But will be later to win

Come Dempster and Fisher
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the goal square
Don't block up the 50
For he that gets hurts
Opens positions for newbies
There's a battle for spots
And it is ragin'
Let me play KPD or I'll shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come creaky defenders
Throughout the club
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Tommy Lee and his Motley Crue
Are beyond your command
Your old game plan is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The boundary line it is drawn
The injury curse it is cast
Goddard the slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The veterans are
Rapidly fadin'.
And the old ones now
Will later retire gracefully

#gosaintas
Club Player

Otherwise, we will keep getting smashed by the best fwds. They lick their lips when they see a Saints game. Imagine the 09 crew with another year of experience under their belts.
Happy days.

Thanks for the memories.

citywest

At the end of the season Fish and Demps should be retired and Lee and Carlisle take their spots, and hopefully and fully fit Goddard as well. For the good of the club going forward, we have to weed out the oldies in order to fast track the young'uns. We still have veterans Riewoldt, Gilbert, Montagna and Armitage in the team. Four veterans is more than enough along with a core group of 22 to 26 year olds.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Fisher and Dempster for as long as possible.
Don't forget Gilbo as well!

Let's just keep replaying those lost Grand Finals of 2009/10 and hoping somehow there is a rip in the time-space-continuum and we can go back in time and win one. Best to be prepared.

Hopefully Bakes and Schneids come back next year as well and stay in the side just in case that rip actually happens. They are still keeping fit according to my sources. Grammy is also fresh as a daisy and rearing to go.

I raise a glass to the firemen. The truest of the true. The most loyal saint in the heavens. The trumpeters herald and salute you. The angels sing your tune. A latin phrase encircles your name:

Fortius Quo Fidelius. Fireman. Fortius Quo Fidelius.

Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 16 Jun 2016 9:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wow this is a scary thread! If both Fisher & Dempster retire who fills the other tall defender role?

We will finally have Carlisle, but Goddard will be out for half the year, Roberton aka skittle cant play a key defensive role, Delaney will be delisted, what do we throw Coughlan in there.

I agree Tom Lee should get more game time but for it would be at the expense of skittle (Roberton) who I dont really rate.

Even if we were to recruit another ready made tall defender I would like to keep at least one of them around for another year just to give Goddard etc time to develop.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Thu 16 Jun 2016 9:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Wow this is a scary thread! If both Fisher & Dempster retire who fills the other tall defender role?

We will finally have Carlisle, but Goddard will be out for half the year, Roberton aka skittle cant play a key defensive role, Delaney will be delisted, what do we throw Coughlan in there.

Even if we were to recruit another ready made tall defender I would like to keep them both around for another year just to give Goddard etc time to develop.
We just had our best win of the year (according to ladder position) without either.

Given we have Carlisle (an absolute gun) to come in I think we will survive.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:Wow this is a scary thread! If both Fisher & Dempster retire who fills the other tall defender role?

Even if we were to recruit another ready made tall defender I would like to keep them both around for another year just to give Goddard etc time to develop.
We just had our best win of the year (according to ladder position) without either.

Given we have Carlisle (an absolute gun) to come in I think we will survive.
Con Carlton had no tall forwards - see how we go against Geelong?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

I don't understand why there is such an obsession with age. Who gives a s*** what their DOB is? The question should be are they best 22? IMO Fisher is not. He's had a few bags kicked on him this year. He's cooked & this year should be his last. Thanks for your service. I'd give Dempster one more. He's still going okay & best 22.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sorry repeat...f....n samsung rubbish.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Thu 16 Jun 2016 10:16pm, edited 1 time in total.