Goodbye Mr Chips?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goodbye Mr Chips?

Stop it Con!! What's math and percentages got to do with a fan forum about our favourite players?

Ohhh, I get it. It's like the probabilities associated with winning a game of football - control the centre clearances and stoppages, win the uncontested and contested ball, get more inside 50's than your opponents and you'll win 99 out of every 100 games you play. So what you're is saying is that there is a high probability (just like we've seen already with other older palyers) that Fisher will not be able to play regular & injury free footy.

His hammy injury might just be a regulation tear but unfortunately his body has shown signs of deterioration. I love Chips and the way he plays footy, but I think our list managers will only have room for Dempster next year. The other reason we have to drop one of these guys is that there is zero chance that they'll both be playing in 2018-2020 when we should be challenging for finals

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

To be fair my % arent really a true reflection. Chips is already in the top 1% of AFL players. So his chances of being good next year are more like 10%. 1 in ten.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
To the top wrote:Some sides are sitting where they are almost exclusively because of the draw they have had - and now it gets tough for them.

On what evidence is it suggested a "half baked" Fisher will be running around for Sandringham next season?

The same evidence a "half baked" Riewoldt will be running around for Sandringham next season?
How many AFL players are still playing good, regular & injury free footy at 34-35?

About 0.1%. 1 in a 1000?

So there is a 99.9% chance I will be right on this one.

Nothing against Chips. I just think the odds are that his body will catch up with him in the next 12 months. And for a guy who should be remembered as one of the all time greats - why try and eek out that one extra year?

I dont think Pav has done himself any justice playing this year.

Roo has had his career extended because he doesnt need to play key position anymore. He can now play wing and not get bashed and crashed as much.
One big difference in your stats is that Fisher played his first game as a 22 year old so he is only in his 12th season. Whereas most players his age have had 16-17 years of footy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Fisher did play a couple of years in the SANFL at West Adelaide before being drafted

I'd say Sam F (the third best player since the super draft) is in his last year

Nick and Sean
1 left

Joey
2 left

Gilbert
Should be traded to GC as steak knives for a player

Longer should be traded to another club

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Fisher did play a couple of years in the SANFL at West Adelaide before being drafted

Nick and Sean
1 left

Joey
2 left

Gilbert

Thats a rubbish post bigmart and beneath you.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
To the top wrote:Some sides are sitting where they are almost exclusively because of the draw they have had - and now it gets tough for them.

On what evidence is it suggested a "half baked" Fisher will be running around for Sandringham next season?

The same evidence a "half baked" Riewoldt will be running around for Sandringham next season?
How many AFL players are still playing good, regular & injury free footy at 34-35?

About 0.1%. 1 in a 1000?

Nothing against Chips. I just think the odds are that his body will catch up with him in the next 12 months. And for a guy who should be remembered as one of the all time greats - why try and eek out that one extra year?

Roo has had his career extended because he doesnt need to play key position anymore. He can now play wing and not get bashed and crashed as much.
One big difference in your stats is that Fisher played his first game as a 22 year old so he is only in his 12th season. Whereas most players his age have had 16-17 years of footy.
Maybe but we cant keep all Roo, Montagna and Fisher. One of them has to go so take your pick.
Gilbert is also a waste of time on our list. Had a good first quarter against Carlton. Has one good quarter ever twenty.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

About 0.1%. 1 in a 1000?

Maybe but we cant keep all Roo, Dempster, Montagna and Fisher. One of them has to go so take your pick.
Gilbert is also a waste of time on our list. Had a good first quarter against Carlton. Has one good quarter ever twenty.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

thought

About 0.1%. 1 in a 1000?

Maybe but we cant keep all Roo, Dempster, Montagna and Fisher. One of them has to go so take your pick.

I thought Sammy had a good game. 17 posessions.

Were you at the game or watching on tv?

On Lee, who left the ground for good during the 3rd quarter, and Everett, Lee had a total of 2 possessions whilst Everitt had 12.

I recall seeing Lee once, and was when he took his only mark. Piss poor performance imho, but only what I expected unfortunately

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Those who went in with an open mind thought Lee played well.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

About 0.1%. 1 in a 1000?

Why the hell not? dempster and fisher are still our best two defenders, Joey is averaging over 25 disposals a game and Roo is still the best player on our list. We have plenty of other players on our list that need to go before these

lintonstreet
Club Player

felix wrote:Not convinced Goddard has it or that Carlise will be fit or Lee for that matter.may need classy insurance .
Can't believe you are serious.
Goddard will be an absolute star.
He's only 19 strong as bull and still growing.
He's also fearless in the contest.
I have seen him probably 6-8 times play including against PA last year live in Adelaide.
He's a premiership full back hands down.

As for Jake Carlisle - have you seen him play.
He's a lock premiership centre half back.

lintonstreet
Club Player

felix wrote:Not convinced Goddard has it or that Carlise will be fit or Lee for that matter.may need classy insurance .
Can't believe you are serious.
Goddard will be an absolute star.
He's only 19 strong as bull and still growing.
He's also fearless in the contest.
I have seen him probably 6-8 times play including against PA last year live in Adelaide.
He's a premiership full back hands down.

As for Jake Carlisle - have you seen him play.
He's a lock premiership centre half back.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Hope Goddard comes back from the injury ok. He's a big unit and going to be lugging a lot of weight around throughout his career which is a stress on his body parts. Its why we need to keep trying guys like Lee to see if they can show some form at AFL level over a period of time. Otherwise we might need to look at drafting another young key back (perhaps with a 3rd rounder) to be grooming as well.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If character, work ethic and determination have anything to do with it, I think Goddard will make it. Character is the key. The kid will do everything he can to be the best he can and being a KPP I think the club realises that bigger blokes take more time.

Maybe Delaney as a Rookie in 2017 for insurance could be a smart move

St Lenny
Club Player

Both were playing fantastic before they were injured. How quickly people forget. The drug addict from Essendon hasn't even played a game so no guarantee's yet. As for Hughey, writing him off already, OMG, give the bloke a chance.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Both were playing fantastic before they were injured. How quickly people forget. The drug addict from Essendon hasn't even played a game so no guarantee's yet. As for Hughey, writing him off already, OMG, give the bloke a chance.
We got smashed by near 100 points twice with Demps playing. Fish definitely seems to impact on performances when out as he takes the main dangerous forward which takes the pressure off our other backs.

groupie1
Club Player

I'd sooner seek to move Gilbert on - Roberton has replaced him and he has never been able to kick the ball. Hate to say it, Webster to make Geary redundant next year, too. Same problem: poor disposal, and if there is one thing 97 should teach us and the good old years of 2008-09, it is about ability to execute skills under pressure. We don't need to be weeding out old players, we need to be weeding out those who cannot dispose of the balls properly.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Fisher did play a couple of years in the SANFL at West Adelaide before being drafted

Nick and Sean
1 left

Joey
2 left

Gilbert

I agree partially. On Longer, Gilbert, Dempster, Joey I agree. Roo can go 'til 37 years of age.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
stonecold
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:As much as I love Chippa, I think it's in the best interests of the club that he move on next year!!!!!
Injured again!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Definitely a bad time to be injured for a big chunk of weeks, when they are looking at Goddard being out for at least the first half of next year if not longer. If he can't get back on the park soon that could be it for his illustrious career. If Chips goes that would mean Dempster would most probably be kept on.

To the top
SS Life Member

It is imperative that to progress you have to establish a winning culture against similar improving sides - and be able to compete against the leading sides in the competition, jagging a win or two.

This is also to present to potential trade targets that they are coming to a side on the rise - and where opportunity to cement a place in such a side exists (including because older, core players are approaching retirement).

So it is a not negotiable requirement that St Kilda continue to win games, including last week v Gold Coast (a very, very costly loss), this week against Essendon and then against Melbourne et al.

To do this you require your currently best side on the park including, particularly, the experienced players to provide the class, direction and experience to those establishing.

It is interesting that, after the very physical game v Geelong last year (a draw) we fell away very badly from there including on trips to Adelaide and Perth in the last weeks of the season

This year, after a very physical game against Geelong, we have similarly fallen away.

So too many bodies not up to the physical punishment week on week and particularly when travel is involved?

This week, again, will be very telling.

Nothing short of a very good win is the not negotiable requirement - otherwise papers will be marked on some who aspire to be the long term future of St Kilda.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:
Nothing short of a very good win is the not negotiable requirement - otherwise papers will be marked on some who aspire to be the long term future of St Kilda.
I wouldn't think so. Being a bit dramatic there.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Demspter and Fisher are not fully interchangeable as Fisher can play on many Key Forwards, whereas Demspter cannot.

Fisher's main probably now is yet another year cruelled by injury. Prior to his latest hammy this year hewas probably a fair chance to play on. with this being a bad hammy I suspect that this is now his last year.

Dempster is likely to be given one more year.. Goodard is the tall apprentice that we hope will at least be suitable to play as Carlisle's offsider.

Carlisle is the genuinely tall key defender that we lack.

With Goddard's injury one of Delaney or Lee to be retained as back-up, but probably not both. If Goodard's injury recovery progressesreally well then the club may elect to not have that coverage.

Besides you can only delist the number of players where you think you can get reasonable talent in by draft, trade or rookie promotion.

Minch is doing well enough to be probably given another year so outs could be:

= Curren, Shenton, Delaney/Lee, Fisher Murdoch a maybe.
= Rookies: Holmes, Saunders

= Longer for the right trade deal

Coughlan going ok makes it more likely that some of the medium to tall defenders will go,but he is still light and needs a few more years to build. So next year I suspect that the club will want back up.

Gilbert most likely to be retained due to his versatility. I am not sure why some sem to think GC will trade for him. I would have thought at his age not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
To the top
SS Life Member

Where are Essendon on the Premiership table - and with how many wins?

Dramatic?

I think not.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I would think a loss to the dopers at this stage would be highly emabarrassing and wouldn't do much for the club or team.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!