Should Nick be skipper next year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should Nick be skipper next year

Yes, until he retires
41%
Yes, he should break the captaincy record
12%
Yes, there is no other candidate
4%
Yes, but this time there should be a clear 2IC
15%
Yes, but he should co-captain with another
4%
No, he is no longer the best fit
1%
No, it's time to develop new leaders
14%
No, there is another clear candidate
1%
We should have a rotating captaincy
4%
Unsure
4%

Total votes: 78

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Should Nick be skipper next year?

Question has been raised following the weekends game, and the fact the sky didn't fall in.

If none of the options describe your answer, elaborate.

For mine.

Handover is overdue, Nick will be Nick regardless of the (c) next to his name.

Look at how the captaincy developed Roo over the years, I want to see what the (c) does for someone else.

Ps my first poll :-)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should Nick be skipper next year?

Let him keep it until he breaks the captaincy record, then rotate it for a few seasons. We need as many guys as possible to step up and take on responsibilities.

If a clear cut stand out leader emerges then let him keep it until he buggers it up.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'd like him Capt for at least another 10 years.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven has a 100% win record. He has never captained a losing Saints team. He is now our best player. Make him vice-captain in preparation for taking over from Nick.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

He has been a true legend, but for the development of the team he needs to be replaced next year. You only have to look at how Jack Steven and team responded when given the opportunity!

bigballs
Club Player

Should captain until he retires as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, if he feels it's time to pass the baton on to someone else, then so be it......do it!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

He is one of the best leaders the game has seen. He is still among the best few skippers in the competition. We have no natural or obvious replacement for him.

It's a no-brainer for mine.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:He is one of the best leaders the game has seen. He is still among the best few skippers in the competition. We have no natural or obvious replacement for him.

It's a no-brainer for mine.

This.

You appoint the best person for the job. Period.

At present everyone at the club, players and coaches alike, rate Nick as being head and shoulder's above every other candidate.

When he is either no longer the best candidate, or available, then you make the change and not before.

Also in being the Captain the Capatin is required to still lead throughout the week including at training, in the media etc and while Steven Captained during the Blues match, Nick was still very much the Captain throughout the week. ie his comments on Billings.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 17 Jun 2016 2:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

PS: I think you left out the most obvious question/option.
Yes, he is the best person for the job

Oddly the other Yesses all have conditions on them which imply that Nick gets the job by default rather than his current capacity to perform the role.

Yes, until he retires
Yes, he should break the captaincy record
Yes, there is no other candidate
Yes, but this time there should be a clear 2IC
Yes, but he should co-captain with another
No, he is no longer the best fit
No, it's time to develop new leaders
No, there is another clear candidate
We should have a rotating captaincy

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

bigballs wrote:Should captain until he retires as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, if he feels it's time to pass the baton on to someone else, then so be it......do it!
I agree.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

bigballs wrote:Should captain until he retires as far as I'm concerned.

+1

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think Nick Riewoldt will be any less of a leader will the (c) next to his name.

We saw guys like Hamil, Hayes, Roo, Ball blossom with the step up. I say move it around until some completely stamps their authority on the position

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt needs to take the record off that scumbag Kernahan. He's a lowlife that doesn't deserve the honour.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who questions if Rooey should be our captain should question what type of supporter they are.

He's playing brilliant footy, always is a leader, and is the heart and soul of our club.

Why anyone would even think it's worthy of querying is beyond me

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Darth Vader
Club Player

Leadership group is best placed to decide this - we don't really know what goes on behind scenes. So yes if he wants it and leadership group wants him.

Saint wagga
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Riewoldt needs to take the record off that scumbag Kernahan. He's a lowlife that doesn't deserve the honour.
What a ridiculous post! Calling one of the best players and the longest serving captain of a club non deserving...that is low!! Kernahan is a legend, inspirational leader and everything to his team mates that roo would be. Great leader of men! Why would you slander his name, idiotic!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Riewoldt needs to take the record off that scumbag Kernahan. He's a lowlife that doesn't deserve the honour.
What a ridiculous post! Calling one of the best players and the longest serving captain of a club non deserving...that is low!! Kernahan is a legend, inspirational leader and everything to his team mates that roo would be. Great leader of men! Why would you slander his name, idiotic!!
Because he embraces everything that I despise about Carlton. I really don't think any opposition supporter would call Kernahan inspirational. Riewoldt is a better footballer, captain and leader of men that Kernahan ever was period

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Hasn't Kernahan been the captain of two Carlton premiership winning teams? Not an accolade to dismiss.

Sadly I wish Roo had lead the Saints to 2 premierships.

Plus I think in one of the winning grand finals Kernahan kicked 5 or 6 goals.
Also I may be wrong, but I think in one losing grand final he nearly dragged his team to victory by kicking 8 goals.

He never went missing or was shut down in grand finals.

Even tho I have no time for Carlton, I respect that Kernahan was an inspirational player and great leader for Carlton. His record speaks for itself.

I hope Roo takes away his record of most games by a captain, sadly I can't see Roo overtaking his records as a captain in grand finals.

Credit where credit is due

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven is a reluctant leader. But maybe he is the leader we need.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Loris

Kernahan played in 4 grand finals

the product od being in a great football team... his 86/87 was full of champions. And hios 93/95 teams had more. both those teams were better than any team Roo has skippered.

In the 86/87 GF's
He had 10 possessions in the 86 GF
and 8 Possessions in the 87 GF

In 93 he played a lone hand and kicked 7 goals in a loss vs Essendon... but he was opposed to 17yo schoolboy Dustin Fletcher

In 95 he kicked a bag of 5... in a one sided game, where his potent team humiliated Geelong and really... they could have had Wayne Thornborrow at FF and he would have kicked goals. They were unstoppable through the middle in 95

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
At present everyone at the club, players and coaches alike, rate Nick as being head and shoulder's above every other candidate.

How do you know that? Its amazing the assumptions some supporters make. Maybe some players/coaches are concerned with they way Nic sprays players who don't give him the ball laces out. Maybe they think he's too dominant around the club already and being skipper just makes him too much of the central point in what is a team game. Maybe some feel he's a bit too much of a perfectionist and needs to lighten up a bit. Who knows? Maybe some feel they want a skipper that bridges the two age groups (young and old) in the team. Not me and not you.

I actually think its time for a new skipper. Next year should officially be the unveiling St Kilda 2.0 with the new generation dominating most spots in the team. A new skipper is a great symbolism of that and we are looking forwards, not backwards. I still think Nic is a bit too dominating on the field and this would lessen that and make others step up.

Personally I think Armo is a great candidate as he and Steven are the only two I see that have the proactiveness and mental fortitude to change the momentum of a match. Maybe they see Armo as doing too much mucking around but humour can be a great way to mix up the monotony and seriousness of full time footy. Armo has been a brilliant leader for the club the last couple of years, is great on tv, and is a great age to have authority but still relate to the youngsters.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The forum members have spoken.

A massive 75% have voted to keep him as captain, at least in the short term with over 40% thinking he should be captain for life.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

How do you know that? Its amazing the assumptions some supporters make. Maybe some players/coaches are concerned with they way Nic sprays players who don't give him the ball laces out. Maybe they think he's too dominant around the club already and being skipper just makes him too much of the central point in what is a team game. Maybe some feel he's a bit too much of a perfectionist and needs to lighten up a bit. Who knows? Maybe some feel they want a skipper that bridges the two age groups (young and old) in the team. Not me and not you.

I actually think its time for a new skipper. Next year should officially be the unveiling St Kilda 2.0 with the new generation dominating most spots in the team. A new skipper is a great symbolism of that and we are looking forwards, not backwards. I still think Nic is a bit too dominating on the field and this would lessen that and make others step up.

Personally I think Armo is a great candidate as he and Steven are the only two I see that have the proactiveness and mental fortitude to change the momentum of a match. Maybe they see Armo as doing too much mucking around but humour can be a great way to mix up the monotony and seriousness of full time footy. Armo has been a brilliant leader for the club the last couple of years, is great on tv, and is a great age to have authority but still relate to the youngsters.
Personally I thought Lenny Hayes (when he was still playing) was the best person for the job on field (and should have had the role) but Roo has been a great representative of our footy club both on and off field. I believe it's now time for change so that we can fast track team success

I voted 'No. it's time to develop new leaders' and what I'm thinking is that we go down the path of dual captains - Arma and Stevo

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Personally I thought Lenny Hayes (when he was still playing) was the best person for the job on field (and should have had the role) but Roo has been a great representative of our footy club both on and off field. I believe it's now time for change so that we can fast track team success

I voted 'No. it's time to develop new leaders' and what I'm thinking is that we go down the path of dual captains - Arma and Stevo
I quite like that idea. Steven/Armo as joint Captains for 2017-19 (3 years).

Then maybe Seb Ross in 2020 when he is 26-27 years old for the next four years (2020-2023).

HarryM
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:I'd like him Capt for at least another 10 years.
20 for me if he can spare the time. :D