End of season trade news

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lintonstreet
Club Player

End of season trade news

I have it on very good authority the club is laser locked to trade in a key position A grader.
Can you guess which position?

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Re: End of season trade news

Center Half Back?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:I have it on very good authority the club is laser locked to trade in a key position A grader.
Do you mean trade one of our key position players or trade for a key position player? Full back, CHB would seem the obvious options. We have FF and CHF pretty well covered. Carlisle for FB or CHB, so it would surely be a key position defender.

Hmmmm.....just saw your post about Goddard being a potential premiership CHB. Go on surprise us, we're trading for a FF so Josh the Bruce can be a swing man.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Travis Cloke - come on down

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

If we trade away our top pick for another big guy I'll spew. We need to use our top pick for quality midfielder.

Young Tall Forwards we are well stocked up - Paddy, Bruce, Membrey, possibly Pierce as a resting ruck (and Roo keeps on keeping on)
Young Tall Backs we are stocked with - Carlisle, Goddard, Lee, Delaney, Robeton, Coughlan,

Where we are deficient is a really classy genuine midfielder with some serious outside game and great disposal. This could be our last top 10 pick for a while. If they trade it away for Hurley or that Marchbank I'll be really worried.

lintonstreet
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:I have it on very good authority the club is laser locked to trade in a key position A grader.
Do you mean trade one of our key position players or trade for a key position player? Full back, CHB would seem the obvious options. We have FF and CHF pretty well covered. Carlisle for FB or CHB, so it would surely be a key position defender.

Hmmmm.....just saw your post about Goddard being a potential premiership CHB. Go on surprise us, we're trading for a FF so Josh the Bruce can be a swing man.
My intel has not shared what we would be trading out - only what key position we will be very aggressive trading in

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

and that is?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Why does my gut see us waving goodbye to Billy Longer, (and maybe a pick)?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Wombat15
Club Player

Yeah i only get bits and pieces but i've only heard the rumours for Marchbank, Prestia, O'Meara and Gaff. Personally 2 of them would be nice and considering this is a weak draft and unless we are guarenteed to get someone like Will Brodie, McCluggage or even Ainsworth id be trading the pick.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hang on. Can we clarify. We are locked in on the player. But is the player locked in on us?

I will also spew up if we use a top 6 draft pick on a key back or a ruck. I will spew. If that is the case the club is drastically over-rating our midfield stocks.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Hurley's name is the one that keeps coming up. He's the obvious KPP potentially on the market. As long as we don't give up anything apart from some cap space.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Travis Cloke - come on down
Not even in jest. Don't post that. Some genius will see it and think, "That's so crazy it might just work!"

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Hurley's name is the one that keeps coming up. He's the obvious KPP potentially on the market. As long as we don't give up anything apart from some cap space.
Hurley is the only 'A Grade' kpp potentially available one would think? Marchbank is certainly not 'A grade' at this point in time.
I still think Hurley is fielding external offers to sate his ego and to feel loved. I doubt he will leave the Bombers.

The only other guy I wonder about is Jon Patton. With Cameron and Lobb I wonder if he is surplus to requirements? Would we send our first pick to GWS with Longer, GWS send Patton to the Bombers and the Bombers send us Hurley plus a 2nd rounder?

Playon
Club Player

You're forgetting JOM, apparently were still interested. He is supposed to returning at the end of this month, depending of course.

Everyone will have eyes on him to see how and IF he returns.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:You're forgetting JOM, apparently were still interested. He is supposed to returning at the end of this month, depending of course.

OP says 'key position'.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like another "I heard a rumour about a rumour" thread.

Pssssttt... Laser locked... Yeah good authority ...Sure thing, pal!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Playon
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Playon wrote:You're forgetting JOM, apparently were still interested. He is supposed to returning at the end of this month, depending of course.

OP says 'key position'.
Well we dont need any forwards and i'd put money on it that it wont be Hurley, Plus the club is rumored to be looking at about 5 midfielders and long with Marchbank and were in the box seat to land JOM (if all works out and he shows something), it has me stumped :)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I wish we had been 'laser locked' on picking up Luke Parker with pick 24 in 2010 from right under our noses.

My biggest worry with this obsession with landing a big fish is that we are going for mature 'top-up' recruits way too soon.
To me this smacks of over-rating where we are. This is the kind of mistake Richmond & Collingwood made.
I think we should stick to the draft and high end young talent. I dont think we are ready to top-up with mature talent yet. Seems premature.

Playon
Club Player

Then there's this

Mark Stevens
‏@Stevo7AFL

No announcement on Gaff looming, manager OS .. Whispers StK, Ess keen .. If he does stay at Eagles, won't be long term deal

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Then there's this

Mark Stevens
‏@Stevo7AFL

No announcement on Gaff looming, manager OS .. Whispers StK, Ess keen .. If he does stay at Eagles, won't be long term deal
Never laid a tackle in his life - but I am keen on Gaff. Local boy for us. Would be able to help Steven out.
Not sure if I would give pick 6 for him though? I would probably balk at that. Rather get Brodie or McCluggage.
BUT if we finish as high as 11th and only get a pick 8 - then pick 8 for Gaff seems about right.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 19 Jun 2016 4:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Playon
Club Player

Originally went for pick 4
Won the clubs B&F 2015
AA 2015
"As of the end of Round 18, 2015, Gaff was having a career best year. He is ranked equal fifth in the AFL Coaches Association voting, and averages 29.9 touches a game, including a remarkable run of five straight games where he collected more than 30 disposals."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Gaff

West coast might want more than were willing to offer

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Originally went for pick 4
Won the clubs B&F 2015
AA 2015
"As of the end of Round 18, 2015, Gaff was having a career best year. He is ranked equal fifth in the AFL Coaches Association voting, and averages 29.9 touches a game, including a remarkable run of five straight games where he collected more than 30 disposals."

Agree. But his stocks have dropped this year I think. I think a pick 8 would get it done.

Playon
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Playon wrote:Originally went for pick 4
Won the clubs B&F 2015
AA 2015

Agree. But his stocks have dropped this year I think. I think a pick 8 would get it done.
I don't know that, he's the player I'd sell the farm for and is he the missing player from out list? We need to get it right

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Gaff has been the Eagles second best player this year after Kennedy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Gaff has been the Eagles second best player this year after Kennedy.
If we could get Gaff for pick 8 I would do it in a heartbeat. He is only 24. The knock on him is he doesnt tackle. But he still obviously easily worth pick 8.

Back to the OP and the kpp. I still think Essendon would love Patton to help out Daniher. They already have Hooker, Brown, Gleeson and Hartley down back. They can probably afford to lose Hurley and cover for him. But they are desperate for another tall fwd. Patton would be perfect for them.

GWS also need a back-up ruckman and might be interested in Longer.

Would we take Hurley and GWS 2nd round pick (about pick 33) in exchange for pick 8 plus Longer.....?

(Maybe we can even get Essendon's 2nd round pick (pick 19) if we are lucky - which is a lot better than pick 33.)
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 19 Jun 2016 5:41pm, edited 3 times in total.