2017 Captain - serious thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lintonstreet
Club Player

2017 Captain - serious thread

With Rooey having now announced that he'll definitely be passing on the baton next season, who would be our best choice?

My view is that we need a captain capable of leading the team for at least 4-5 years and on that basis I see only the following:

Jack Stevens

Mav

Armo

I've always loved Armo but think Jack and Mav may have moved past him with respect to the captaincy.

If it came down to it I'd say Mav

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2017 Captain - serious thread

Rooey needs to take that record away from a carlscum player. After the record is broken then Jack can become captain. Jack S that is.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It's hard to judge from the outside. I can tell you who leads by example, though. Weller, Steven, Hickey, Ross, Newnes. Doers aren't necessarily the best leaders, though, and it certainly doesn't have to be your best player.

I actually favour the GT approach of rotating it for a few year unless someone makes it his own.

The_President
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:It's hard to judge from the outside. I can tell you who leads by example, though. Weller, Steven, Hickey, Ross, Newnes. Doers aren't necessarily the best leaders, though, and it certainly doesn't have to be your best player.

I actually favour the GT approach of rotating it for a few year unless someone makes it his own.

Mav seems like the most inspirational/best leader, but also can be hit and miss.
Steven is the most consistent but seems like the type of person who leads by example, but isn't actually comfortable standing in front of the group and demanding excellence

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

when did Roo say that. terrible move by the club if so - get the record and then ass it over or have co-captains. no one really ready to replace him anyway. give jack s a bit more time then him to warm the seat for dustan well down the track.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yes Dunstan's another who may come into calculations, Geary as well. Maybe Bruce. Impossible to tell from the outside really. It comes down simply to leadership within the group.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I love Mav - he leads from the front and always runs over with a word if a bloke stuffs up or needs a lift. That said, I'm not sure he's the sharpest tool in the shed! Jack Steven was terrific in the role in his one outing but I'd be concerned that his own performance might suffer taking on the responsibility long term. I see Ross as a future captain but I think it's too soon for him yet - which is partly why I still personally favour the rotating captaincy until there's a stand-out choice. Or maybe there's a similar case to be made for Geary taking on the role while other guys come up around him. I'm definitely in the camp that thinks the change is long overdue though - I think the team needs a captain that they can really feel is one of them - not someone they think is better than they are knows more and has done more. Riewoldt is too much the daddy now - and I certainly don't think the team should keep him as captain so he can break a record. That's just insulting really. It's a complete non-reason.

On balance, I think it'll be Newnes. He's smart, he oozes leadership, and he can play. And of course, if he was captain we wouldn't need to ask ourselves what his role was. Clearly a plus.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

agreed.
sad decision
... let / convince Rooey to at least equal it.

what difference can it possibly make to extend into 17 ???

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

WindSister wrote:agreed.
sad decision
... let / convince Rooey to at least equal it.

what difference can it possibly make to extend into 17 ???
I'm sure he could be persuaded, but is that what is best for the club?

You could argue that the timing is right for a fresh face.

He'd still be Rooey and It wouldn't affect the esteem in which he is held by teammates and the club.

Freedom from the responsibilities of captaincy might prolong an extraordinary career.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The captain should come from a player who is first picked in the team each week. Some players mentioned on here may not be that player especially if we recruit a better player or others develop further.

Having said that, does the record count for Rooey if there are co-captains? If so then maybe do that as that would halve his workload.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:It's hard to judge from the outside. I can tell you who leads by example, though. Weller, Steven, Hickey, Ross, Newnes. Doers aren't necessarily the best leaders, though, and it certainly doesn't have to be your best player.

I agree.

It's concerning, and supports my 'not enough talent' theory that there is not an obvious successor. I actually don't see a single person on the list (viewing from the grandstand of course) that appears to be captain material.

I think we really do need a rotation until someone steps up.

I wonder if being recruited as captain might sweeten the deal for a big fish??

stonecold
SS Life Member

Rooey stepping down????? Is he????? There's a newsflash for good ol' StoneCold!!!!!

Same of you shitkickers on here finally believe now do ya?????

Told ya months ago!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
lintonstreet
Club Player

stonecold wrote:Rooey stepping down????? Is he????? There's a newsflash for good ol' StoneCold!!!!!

Same of you shitkickers on here finally believe now do ya?????

Told ya months ago!!!!!
OK now how about contributing to the thread, who steps up in his place?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:The captain should come from a player who is first picked in the team each week.
I think it should come from a player who is picked in the first team every week. It doesn't have to be your best player, just someone who can and will hold his spot every week.

It really comes down to leadership, someone who others will follow into battle. That they will fall on their swords for if necessary. From the grandstand and without knowing the dynamics within the group that's impossible to judge for me anyway.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 19 Aug 2016 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Agree with Jacky Steven, Mav or Newnes. All good picks in different ways IMO.

Though a lot of commentators seem to think Geary will be next captain (but what do they know about the machinations of our club?).
desertsaint wrote:when did Roo say that. terrible move by the club if so - get the record and then ass it over or have co-captains. no one really ready to replace him anyway. give jack s a bit more time then him to warm the seat for dustan well down the track.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/08-16/r ... -captaincy

To be fair, he doesn't explicitly say he'll be stepping down, just that the most important thing to him is to do right by the club and he thinks now is probably a good time to hand it over to someone else.
Whether or not it happens is undetermined until it does or doesn't happen.
Last edited by shrodes on Fri 19 Aug 2016 11:54am, edited 3 times in total.

lintonstreet
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:The captain should come from a player who is first picked in the team each week.
I think it should come from a player who is picked in the first team every week. It doesn't have to be your best player, just someone who can and will hold his spot every week.

It really comes down to leadership, someone who others will follow into battle. That they will fall on their swords for if necessary.
Can you stick your neck out and say who?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

It really comes down to leadership, someone who others will follow into battle. That they will fall on their swords for if necessary.
Can you stick your neck out and say who?
I won't because I don't know these guys personally or how they stand within the group.

From the grand stand Weller looks a good choice. Hickey a dark horse?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:Agree with Jacky Steven, Mav or Newnes. All good picks in different ways IMO.

Though a lot of commentators seem to think Geary will be next captain (but what do they know about the machinations of our club?).
desertsaint wrote:when did Roo say that. terrible move by the club if so - get the record and then ass it over or have co-captains. no one really ready to replace him anyway. give jack s a bit more time then him to warm the seat for dustan well down the track.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/08-16/r ... -captaincy

To be fair, he doesn't explicitly say he'll be stepping down, just that the most important thing to him is to do right by the club and he thinks now is probably a good time to hand it over to someone else.
Whether or not it happens is undetermined until it does or doesn't happen.
Exactly.

Rooy was on AFL 360 on Wednesday night and he said that he believed it was the right time for someone else at the club to take over and that he believed that there were some worthy candidates, but...

He didn't say that he won't be captaining. He didn't say that it's a foregone conclusion. He said there'll be conversations at the end of the year just like there has been every year with Richo and the leaders within the team and the club.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Another thing. I don't think it's something the players should get to vote on. It's not a popularity contest. The club should make a correct call on it.

carn_sainter
Club Player

The skipper is as much about off-field as it is on-field. Players who play like leaders will always carry on playing that way, but a captain needs to have some media skills, be the face of the club, appeal to prospective sponsors and all that.

Based on how they play, I reckon geary, steven and Weller are the best three choices. Steven is not a good speaker, Weller and Geary are.

I don't see newnes anywhere near captain material. Seb Ross way ahead of him for mine.

carn_sainter
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:Another thing. I don't think it's something the players should get to vote on. It's not a popularity contest. The club should make a correct call on it.
The players should definitely get a say. They need to play for their skipper, listen to him. There's no better endorsement than the respect of your peers.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Another thing. I don't think it's something the players should get to vote on. It's not a popularity contest. The club should make a correct call on it.
The players should definitely get a say. They need to play for their skipper, listen to him. There's no better endorsement than the respect of your peers.
You ever had a choice of who you answer to in the workforce? I haven't. They are appointed and there are good choices and bad.

I think the club should be able to identify leadership and hopefully make the right choice, the same way as they appoint a coach.

Wombat15
Club Player

I think ive mentioned this in one of the other threads.
I'm a big fan of the idea that mav should be the next captain. Hes the perfect team barometer, Tackles hard, lots of pressure, kicks goals and plays taller than he is and with that being said will play any role to the best of his ability. On a different note he would be the perfect role model for the younger players too. Delisted from his old club, worked as hard as he could at the saints, played in multiple positions until hes finally found the perfect role as a Half Forward. Hes shown that you reap the rewards if you put in the effort. With this being said i can see the arguments for Armo Steven and Geary. Jack provides that spark and will do big things in big moments to fire the team up, Gears is well respected and pretty much shuts down any forward he plays on and Armo is that senior head but i think carrying an injury this season may have hurt his chances (its hard to word for Armo). But from a leadership pov i think its mav for me, he represents everything about our game style going forward.

St Loxton
Club Player

My vote is for Mav Weller.
Getting better as a player. Tough, reliable, has strong skill set. Strong marker. Great finisher.
Can inspire his players.
I reckon might have the mental toughness to command his players and take his game to another level.
Future St Kilda premership captian.

lintonstreet
Club Player

Big challenge for the CLUB and the playing group as no-one is standing out - according to this thread anyway