Spud/Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Spud/Moorabbin

Great story in the Herald Sun. Someone who knows how to cut and paste please put it on for the oldies!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spud/Moorabbin

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... e09bb4eebe

THE long-gone scent of Moorabbin mud still brings a smile to Danny Frawley’s face.
As a one-time “groundsman” during the 1980s, who worked in tandem with another likely lad from Ballarat, Tony Lockett, Frawley was in charge of applying copious amounts of water to the ground to ensure it was as muddy as possible for visiting teams.

On occasions, even the coach and the chief executive would be out there with the hose turning it into a mud patch that suited St Kilda’s battling teams of the mid-1980s before a new wave of young Saints stars made the tactic obsolete.

“There was nothing like it,” Frawley said of Moorabbin. “You would walk out in the middle, especially in the mid ‘80s, and you could just sense the atmosphere of the place.

“We didn’t have much skill back then. So we used to water the ground, myself and ‘Plugger’ were groundsmen, so we made sure it was nice and muddy like Ballarat.

“Players from opposition clubs would shake their heads at how muddy it was at the start of April. We used to laugh our heads off.”

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Frawley said the beauty of Moorabbin back then was that “you would see the same faces every time you played there.”

St Kilda played at Moorabbin from 1965 until 1992, and kept the ground as its home base until the end of the 2010 season. But Frawley is excited by the club’s plans for a $29 million redevelopment of Moorabbin, complete with a purpose-built facility, which would see the Saints return home to Linton St by the end of next year.

“The ‘Animal Enclosure’ was infamous for all the right reasons,” he said. “I think you needed a dozen (beers) or a slab to get into it. It was guarded by barbed wire. They were between us (the Saints) and the umpires’ race, so the poor old umpies used to cop it.”

Frawley played 72 of his 240 games at Moorabbin — more than at any other ground — and the memories still resonate.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
To the top
SS Life Member

The doors from the Gold Pass Room - and the balcony which was THE premium place to watch footy from!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The doors from the Gold Pass Room - and the balcony which was THE premium place to watch footy from!
For you maybe, that wouldn't have been everyone's cup of tea back then, that and the Animal Enclosure are at opposite ends of the Spectrum.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The Animal Enclosure was the only place to stand. God I loved that place. I can't wait for our first VFL game at Moorabbin, when Sandy will be in saints colours. It will be a lockout.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:The Animal Enclosure was the only place to stand. God I loved that place. I can't wait for our first VFL game at Moorabbin, when Sandy will be in saints colours. It will be a lockout.
Within the stands and space in the outer the new capacity of Moorabbin I'm guessing will only be about 5K

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:The Animal Enclosure was the only place to stand. God I loved that place. I can't wait for our first VFL game at Moorabbin, when Sandy will be in saints colours. It will be a lockout.
Should all make an effort to get the numbers up for these games. A pilgrimage, special occasion.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I always thought the animal enclosure was overated. was all Saint supporters.went there a couple of times but had much more fun outside it amongst oppo supporters :)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I always thought the animal enclosure was overated. was all Saint supporters.went there a couple of times but had much more fun outside it amongst oppo supporters :)
Where was your favourite spot at Moorabbin, Fiery?

From memory, Bruce Eva and his circle of mates would be around a lot of the opposition fans, razzing them etc, at the South Road goal end.

I was generally behind the goals of the Nepean HWY end, as I was either in the CS or liked to be around the CS as a youngster back then.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I stood on the wing between the Saints race and the ramp up next to the social club.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
Should all make an effort to get the numbers up for these games. A pilgrimage, special occasion.
Spot on, millarsaint. I've got most of the old crew committed already.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Frawley played 72 of his 240 games at Moorabbin — more than at any other ground — and the memories still resonate.

One of his best came in Round 7, 1991. It was his 150th game. The Saints beat the Crows by 131 points.

“There wasn’t enough room that day for a healthy sardine,” he said. “Plugger was making his famous comeback after a fractured vertebrae and Nicky Winmar was coming back from his suspension the year before.”

“I’ll never forget it — it was (Lazar) Vidovic, down to (Robert) Harvey, on to Winmar and a searing left-foot onto Plugger’s ample chest down at the South Rd end. Plugger ended up kicking 12 that day.”

Just as vivid in Frawley’s mind was the day Lockett kicked his 100th goal at the ground in 1987 just days after Saints coach Darrel Baldock suffered a stroke.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I always thought the animal enclosure was overated. was all Saint supporters.went there a couple of times but had much more fun outside it amongst oppo supporters :)
Where was your favourite spot at Moorabbin, Fiery?

From memory, Bruce Eva and his circle of mates would be around a lot of the opposition fans, razzing them etc, at the South Road goal end.

I was generally behind the goals of the Nepean HWY end, as I was either in the CS or liked to be around the CS as a youngster back then.
I was in that circle...still good mates. Stayed together during the Waverley days and the Dome, I have moved interstate Bruce works most games now..the old firm has diminished bigtime but still catchup.

we gave the opposition hell over a sustained period...much more than the animal enclosure :)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Frawley played 72 of his 240 games at Moorabbin — more than at any other ground — and the memories still resonate.

One of his best came in Round 7, 1991. It was his 150th game. The Saints beat the Crows by 131 points.

“There wasn’t enough room that day for a healthy sardine,” he said. “Plugger was making his famous comeback after a fractured vertebrae and Nicky Winmar was coming back from his suspension the year before.”

“I’ll never forget it — it was (Lazar) Vidovic, down to (Robert) Harvey, on to Winmar and a searing left-foot onto Plugger’s ample chest down at the South Rd end. Plugger ended up kicking 12 that day.”

Just as vivid in Frawley’s mind was the day Lockett kicked his 100th goal at the ground in 1987 just days after Saints coach Darrel Baldock suffered a stroke.

I remember that game, Nigel Smart had hair :)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Smart tried to scrag Plugger. What was he thinking?