POLL: who do you WANT to win the flag?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who do you WANT to win the flag?

Swans
47%
Dogs
53%

Total votes: 73

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

POLL: who do you WANT to win the flag?

Who do you want to win in Saturday?

Not who do you think will win.

Are you comfortable for the Dogs to win a second flag before us, or do you want the heroic underdogs
to snag a flag from 7th and create AFL history??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: POLL: who do you WANT to win the flag?

Needs a don't care option.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
realdeal
Club Player

I feel like a massive Scrooge and it's hard to watch how happy the players/supporters are etc and not feel for them but I don't want the dogs to win their second flag before us and overtake us.

I'm just quite torn. I think us saint supporters are the only people in Victoria not backing the dogs 100%.

As much as anything it just brings back sad memories of what coulda been during our contending years, although every prelim/GF weeks remind me of that now.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: I'm just quite torn. I think us saint supporters are the only people in Victoria not backing the dogs 100%.
Yep and understandable given our history of one premiership and several recent and not-so-recent near misses.

But the choice is either them or another flag to the AFL love child Swans. I wish they could both lose.

citywest

I want them to suffer more heartbreak. Once we win our second then they can win theirs but until then....stuff'em.

citywest

I hate the Bulldogs, Kangaroos and Demons. If I had it my way I would send North to Tassie (Hobart Kangaroos) and merge Bulldogs and Demons (Melbourne Bulldogs). Then I would be happy in the knowledge that St Kilda would be safe forever more. I wish the worst on all 3 of those clubs.

citywest

You might be saying how bitter is this bloke? Very, if the Bulldogs win next week I have seen nearly every team win a premiership except mine. f*** the Bulldogs.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:You might be saying how bitter is this bloke? Very, if the Bulldogs win next week I have seen nearly every team win a premiership except mine. f*** the Bulldogs.
Bitter and small minded. It is typical of a loser mentality to actively not want another struggler to achieve something. You'd actually prefer the rolled gold AFL favoured Swans to win rather than a team that has done it all the hard and honest way. Luckily our club is now coached by someone of the ilk of Beveridge who sees beyond that parochial mindset.
Go Dogs.

Nee!
citywest

fugazi wrote:
citywest wrote:You might be saying how bitter is this bloke? Very, if the Bulldogs win next week I have seen nearly every team win a premiership except mine. f*** the Bulldogs.
Bitter and small minded. It is typical of a loser mentality to actively not want another struggler to achieve something. You'd actually prefer the rolled gold AFL favoured Swans to win rather than a team that has done it all the hard and honest way. Luckily our club is now coached by someone of the ilk of Beveridge who sees beyond that parochial mindset.
Go Dogs.
Fugazi......Korna!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I hate the Bulldogs, Kangaroos and Demons. I wish the worst on all 3 of those clubs.
:D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In the cold sober reflection of the day. I have to favour the Doggies. They way they have built their list and team spirit is the way footy should be done.

What really impresses me is the depth and age profile of that Dogs list. Have a look at who is not currently playing.
Gee whizz The Dogs look good for the next few years.

Adams, Webb, Redpath, Wallis are all good young players not in that side.

Throw in Suckling, Murphy and Crameri as well as older players who are out.

They also have Kieran Collins on that list.

On the other hand I look at Geelong and I see a Spoon coming. Already an old side. Not a single under 23yo player this weekend.
Enright, Bartel, Lonergan and Mackie are all washed up. Despite the media wank off this season, they have serious issues looming.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 25 Sep 2016 2:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Seriously? Are some of us that insecure that we can't cope with being the only team that has only won one flag? I find this incredulous and amazingly petty and childish. We're not still in the schoolyard people. I know it seems that way when you see ppl mindlessly baiting each other at the footy each week. How you can't get caught up in this sporting story is beyond me. There is nothing to dislike about the Dogs apart from perhaps a few flog supporters (like we don't have any) Our club should be looking at them as inspiration, not frustration or jealousy.

I wish the doggies all the best next week and will be rapt for their supporters and their club if they succeed. A far better story than those flogs at Hawthorn who virtually played in every GF in the 80's and still nearly went under. This is a genuine working class story of a club that's done it the hard way and the RIGHT way.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Swans by 8 goals

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I want the Dogs to win but I put in a donkey vote ;)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

[quote="BigMart"]Swans by 8 goals[/quote]
This. As much as the romance of a battler winning it from seventh appeals, if the swines bring their A game, they will win comfortably.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="realdeal"]I feel like a massive Scrooge and it's hard to watch how happy the players/supporters are etc and not feel for them but I don't want the dogs to win their second flag before us and overtake us.

I'm just quite torn. I think us saint supporters are the only people in Victoria not backing the dogs 100%.

As much as anything it just brings back sad memories of what coulda been during our contending years, although every prelim/GF weeks remind me of that now.[/quote]

Nailed it. During our GF's period we were better than the dogs. They dropped down before us and consequently have risen before us. I'm barracking for the Swans

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dogs will win. Why are ppl concerned about them overtaking us on the premiership ladder? No one except some Saints supporters will give a s***. I don't.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm really conflicted on this issue too. I was having a robust discussion about this with my 2 Saints mates yesterday. As usual, I was the odd one out and names and accusations were exchanged!

In theory, I want the Dogs to win as philosophically, I always support the battler.

However, my loyalty to the Saints comes first and I do not want to end up being the least successful of all the Victorian foundation clubs; our history is pathetic enough as it is.

I'm not happy about it but I've read that the real test of genius is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

:D
Last edited by SaintPav on Sun 25 Sep 2016 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Dogs will win. Why are ppl concerned about them overtaking us on the premiership ladder? No one except some Saints supporters will give a s***. I don't.
Don't know why but I have a weird feeling they might win

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Kate
Club Player

I don't really care who wins, but if it's the Swans it will go away quicker.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Don't need another clubs supporters trotting out he 1 premiership insult

SuperSaint66
Club Player

I want the Buldogs to win.
Like us, they've had to struggle against the odds with a poor venue deal, unpopular time slots, minimum free to air cover, and lack of the ultimate success. This year they've had season ending injuries, yet the players & coach have remained upbeat and positive. They are good to watch and their long suffering, loyal supporters deserve to see them win the flag next Saturday.
Our time will come!!

mambo2706
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:However, my loyalty to the Saints comes first and I do not want to end up being the least successful of all the Victorian foundation clubs; our history is pathetic enough as it is.
We already are. Footscray entered the VFL in 1925.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint66 wrote:I want the Buldogs to win.
Like us, they've had to struggle against the odds with a poor venue deal, unpopular time slots, minimum free to air cover, and lack of the ultimate success. This year they've had season ending injuries, yet the players & coach have remained upbeat and positive. They are good to watch and their long suffering, loyal supporters deserve to see them win the flag next Saturday.
Our time will come!!
+1. Perennial battler vs Johnny Come Lately Head Office corporate love child. The first team to make it to the GF from 7th. Underdogs, injury hit season, only one flag in their history, threatened with extinction more than once. Don't give a rats arse about them going one ahead of us. Happy for a club that's not one of "the annointed" to win it. Great achievement and story if they do.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I hope the Dogs give the Swans a bloodsbath.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?