How Should We Feel About The Dogs????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

How Should We Feel About The Dogs????

As a Saints fan, I generally feel a little bit better about myself when reminded of Footscray's lack of Grand Final appearances and lack of flag success. So I really don't want them to snatch one before we do. Our current run without a flag is 1126 games, while the Dogs are up to 1344.

But if they won, it would also show us "minnow" supporters that you can beat the AFL machine, that academy picks and handouts can only get you so far, and all of that can be overcome by the underdog (pardon the pun). It also provides an update on Hawthorn's "How to win a flag by building from the bottom" blueprint, and shows that St Kilda are probably on the right path, as we've generally been following the Dogs build, albeit a couple of years behind.

So I'm genuinely torn here.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: How Should We Feel About The Dogs????

Firstly, I think it shows a sad mentality to want them to lose because some of their supporters don't like us, or so we don't inherit some imagined infamous title. I hope they do win, and that we get to experience that same drought-breaking elation soon.

Secondly, they'll very likely lose and only further add to their long story of heartbreak and woe, a story we are all too well acquainted with.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I really don't mind who wins. The swines are very good and deserve to win it. The dogs are the fairytale and as a Luke Beveridge fan from my club in the ammos, I'd love the dogs to salute. Given the fact I've seen my team in 5 gf's without a win, I would be envious if they pulled it off at their first attempt. Hope it's a great game. I think it will be, but if the swines bring their A game as they did against us in round 21, then it's hard to see them getting beaten.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

History says that they'll get smashed.
I still haven't forgiven the team for the way the 1997 Brownlow was handled by their players and the booing from their section on the night. Poor losers...always have been.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I hope the Dogs win.
The celebration for a drought ending premiership will be massive....and hopefully the idea of being part of the team that ended the Saints drought will inspire the boys (and a couple of FA to come to our club)

Nee!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

For all you lot that want the Dogs to win imagine how much shyte we will cop for opposition fans.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
markp
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:For all you lot that want the Dogs to win imagine how much shyte we will cop for opposition fans.
Hardly any..?

Which would not bother at all?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I've never liked the dogs. Not because they're the other long suffering single premiership team, but because their players and supporters have irritated me for years.

The most promising thing from them making the Grand Final is that they play very similar footy to us. We're on the same track.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

markp wrote:Firstly, I think it shows a sad mentality to want them to lose because some of their supporters don't like us, or so we don't inherit some imagined infamous title. I hope they do win, and that we get to experience that same drought-breaking elation soon.

Secondly, they'll very likely lose and only further add to their long story of heartbreak and woe, a story we are all too well acquainted with.
Mark, has it taken your notice that our Grandfather actually played for both competing Grand Finalists??

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

St Chris wrote:As a Saints fan, I generally feel a little bit better about myself when reminded of Footscray's lack of Grand Final appearances and lack of flag success. So I really don't want them to snatch one before we do. Our current run without a flag is 1126 games, while the Dogs are up to 1344.

But if they won, it would also show us "minnow" supporters that you can beat the AFL machine, that academy picks and handouts can only get you so far, and all of that can be overcome by the underdog (pardon the pun). It also provides an update on Hawthorn's "How to win a flag by building from the bottom" blueprint, and shows that St Kilda are probably on the right path, as we've generally been following the Dogs build, albeit a couple of years behind.

So I'm genuinely torn here.
I understand the envy St Chris, but l'm on the Doggies bandwagon this weekend, especially as its against the AFL's original lovechild

markp
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:
markp wrote:Firstly, I think it shows a sad mentality to want them to lose because some of their supporters don't like us, or so we don't inherit some imagined infamous title. I hope they do win, and that we get to experience that same drought-breaking elation soon.

Mark, has it taken your notice that our Grandfather actually played for both competing Grand Finalists??
It hadn't occurred to me, cheers!

Should we perhaps have been consoled in a recent GF defeat by an unmentionable similar observation..?!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Must win.

Must win for the fkn under dog.

Must win to stick it up the AFL machine that just spoon feeds these interstate clubs premierships and success.

Must win for all of us.

You miserable sobs need to get over yourselves.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
spert
Saintsational Legend

If the Saints are not in it, then I don't care who wins. I do remember working out in the western suburbs at the time we played Geelong in the GF a few years back. Every Dogs supporter I spoke to at the time (quite a few) to a person had nothing good to say about the Saints, or just hated the Saints and were all behind the Cats, though I did come in contact with a lot of Swans supporters through work who were getting behind the Saints.

steve7920

Go the Doggies. If they win then the Demons have the longest premiership drought of 52 years, so should be no concern to us.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Go Dogs
If nothing else it ought to spur us on
**** hate Shytney

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hate the dogs almost as much as Collingwood.

Bunch of loser mentality fans who play the victim. They have no sympathy from me, I respect their 2016 team for what they've achieved... But not their club and especially not their fans.

Their fans despise StK, and would barrack for GWS against us... So I do the same!

Hope the Swans belt them.

Let's not forget the amount of Rookies and low draft picks and youth in that team. They have been a powerhouse since Rodney Eade was there... From being a basket case to one of the best football club cultures in the AFL

As a team, I respect them.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Go Doggies!!!

I remember the magnificent feast I had with Mum and Dad the night of the 1966 Grand Final. It was at Poons in Barkly St Footscray. I was always packed on Saturday nights and as beaming Saints supporters we were treated like VIP's by management, staff and patrons alike. Most of them were Footscray supporters and they were overjoyed for us and StKilda's flag.

I'm going back to Poons for a long overdue feed this week. I'll bet the menu is the same (half a century is hardly a reason for change!) so I will have 3 steamed dim sims (the best in Melbourne), special fried rice (to share), a combination omelette and banana fritters to finish (although they always used to give you two bananas). Even if it is the Bulldogs' week I will be eating exactly the same celebratory meal I did the night the Saints won the flag.

Sorry, but I do not have a single connection with South Melbourne / Sydney. Go Dogs.

Saint supporter since '62
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I agree with the OP... with the positive part of the post, at least.

I think if the Bulldogs end up with the (untarnished and hard-earned) silverware, it would further emphasise that if you're clever, if you recruit well, if you do everything right, if your heart is in the right place - that you could beat a system that's stacked against you.
St Kilda should be encouraged by that .. and we will have a model to try and emulate. Let's be magnanimous and focus on becoming as good as the Bulldogs - i.e., the positives.

Anyway, if you can deliver a slap in the face to the AFL and its loaded system(even if it's temporary) -- it is a good thing.

The AFL wants to deliver the silverware on a silver platter to Sydney (be it via the Swans or GWS) - and the Bulldogs stand in their way again this week. Go the Bulldogs!

a_vandelay66

gobsmacked that any genuine st kilda supporter would seriously be hoping that the dogs win. i support one team and one team only, and the way i see it, "fairytales" for another club are completely irrelevant, let alone one with so many scum supporters. i think one of the few things that kept me sane after the 'missed opportunity' years was knowing that at least another club's fans had it worse than us.

and as for their win somehow "inspiring" the saints ... i have no idea what that's even supposed to mean. if our players don't already believe that they can win the flag, without having the dogs win it "as an example", then why are they even playing in the AFL.

if anything, if the saints can't win it, i'd much rather it was a non-vic team. as for the swans, i have no ill feeling towards them for any supposed 'love child' status. anyone who believes that the AFL is a genuinely "even" competition is fooling themselves anyway, so who cares if they win another one. ultimately, when the body that runs the elite competition (the AFL) is the same body which is in charge of growing the game, there is always going to be an inherent conflict of interest and it's virtually impossible for the competition to not be biased.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Are Bulldogs fans really that bad as some are making them out to be? I've never had trouble from them. They generally seem to be a pretty humble and stoic lot of supporters.

Not torn in the least about wanting the Dogs to win a rare premiership on Saturday.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, thought they were so gracious in Roo's 300th

Calling him a loser and a cheat constantly (unfortunately I was near their cheer squad, had to move when I nearly got in a dust up)

When they were flogging us, even though Roo took 14 marks and dominated. Not one ounce of respect, belittling him and Jack Billings (for being the Villian in the 'comeback game') and laughing at him compared to Bont.
One d**khead said Reiwoldt couldn't hold a candle to Stringer)

A bunch of first class cokeheads!!!!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

a_vandelay66 wrote:gobsmacked that any genuine st kilda supporter would seriously be hoping that the dogs win. i support one team and one team only, and the way i see it, "fairytales" for another club are completely irrelevant, let alone one with so many scum supporters. i think one of the few things that kept me sane after the 'missed opportunity' years was knowing that at least another club's fans had it worse than us.

and as for their win somehow "inspiring" the saints ... i have no idea what that's even supposed to mean. if our players don't already believe that they can win the flag, without having the dogs win it "as an example", then why are they even playing in the AFL.

if anything, if the saints can't win it, i'd much rather it was a non-vic team. as for the swans, i have no ill feeling towards them for any supposed 'love child' status. anyone who believes that the AFL is a genuinely "even" competition is fooling themselves anyway, so who cares if they win another one. ultimately, when the body that runs the elite competition (the AFL) is the same body which is in charge of growing the game, there is always going to be an inherent conflict of interest and it's virtually impossible for the competition to not be biased.
I see it differently.
Rightly or wrongly, we all know that the Victorian based sides have to work a bit smarter, harder, etc.... and that the odds are stacked against them; but, nevertheless the Bulldogs are on the brink of proving that it can still be done -- and that's got to be encouraging.

If the Bulldogs pave the way, there will be no "fairytaleness" about it --- we would know that it could be realistically done --- with similar amounts of application, dedication, intelligence, courage and perspiration. There'd be plenty to emulate -- and knowing that it's achievable, there'll be no excuses if we fall short.

I wont be begrudging the Bulldog's hard-earned silverware(should they achieve it)! Especially during a period when so many draft concessions were heading north.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 26 Sep 2016 4:59pm, edited 4 times in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why does anyone give a f*** about them

Are they a charity case?!

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:History says that they'll get smashed.
I still haven't forgiven the team for the way the 1997 Brownlow was handled by their players and the booing from their section on the night. Poor losers...always have been.
And yet their whole cheer squad were down at Moorabbin shaking cans for the SOS campaign

a_vandelay66

samoht wrote:
a_vandelay66 wrote:gobsmacked that any genuine st kilda supporter would seriously be hoping that the dogs win. i support one team and one team only, and the way i see it, "fairytales" for another club are completely irrelevant, let alone one with so many scum supporters. i think one of the few things that kept me sane after the 'missed opportunity' years was knowing that at least another club's fans had it worse than us.

I see it differently.
Rightly or wrongly, we all know that the Victorian based sides have to work a bit smarter, harder, etc.... and that the odds are stacked against them; but, nevertheless the Bulldogs are on the brink of proving that it can still be done -- and that's got to be encouraging.

If the Bulldogs pave the way, there will be no "fairytaleness" about it --- we would know that it could be realistically done --- with similar amounts of application, dedication, intelligence, courage and perspiration. There'd be plenty to emulate -- and knowing that it's achievable, there'll be no excuses if we fall short.

I wont be begrudging the Bulldog's hard-earned silverware(should they achieve it)! Especially during a period when so many draft concessions were heading north.
8 out of the last 9 premiers have been victorian. so again, i'm not sure what "proving" that a victorian team can win has to do with it. of course a vic team can win it, as long as you take your chances, which our club sadly hasn't. if the dogs get one chance and take it straight away, it will be a very hard pill to swallow.