Hartlett and Steele to the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hartlett and Steele to the Saints

Johnny Member wrote:
Bluthy wrote:I tell you what - if we do get HH and he costs us our first rounder that cements my suspicion that we are genuinely going for it. I would have preferred a slower build to get more top picks at the draft. But getting Carlisle and HH in their prime around that 25 age mark with our top picks starts our premiership clock ticking and indicates that we are releasing the handbrake and putting the foot to the floor to go for that flag in the next few years.

Richo is an ambitious bugger and I reckon he thinks we can have a real crack at it with the likes of Rooey, Joey, Armo still being a contested beast, Gilbo consistently getting on the ground again, Steven hitting his prime and the likes of Robbo, Newnes, Ross hitting an age/games bracket where they are really solid AFL players. Its bold - not the path I would have chosen. But strap yourself in - could be a wild ride over the next few years.
Isn't the club's plan public knowledge?

Or are you say I g that Richardson has hijacked the very public club vision?
Your normal level of nuance JM. What did the Pres say - a flag by 2020? That still leaves a few approaches:

Slow burn - going to the draft with all good picks and only trading in as very low down picks or steak knives. 2020 would be a stretch but still possible.
Medium rare - Willing to trade in players to speed up the team development but who are still in a pretty young age group - Steele would fit into this category
Fast Track - willing to trade in players hitting their prime (Carlisle, Hatlett) which gives us the chance of having Roo, Joey et al at a flag tilt. A flag in 2018 would come into view with this approach as outlandish as it sounds.

Personally I would have loved slow burn (love slow cooking) but I don't think Richo was ever going to go that route fully. PLaying all of Demps, Fish, Joey, Gilbo, Gears in the backline and not turning over the team as much as he could have, indicated he wasn't really aiming for another couple of years of high draft picks.

I do think Richo may have been thinking more of doing it medium rare. However perhaps seeing Acres have a breakout second half of the season, and Gresh jump out of the blocks like a veteran, and Ross and Newnes going up another notch, and Steven become elite, and Rooey kicking 9 goals in a match, and Gilbo getting his foot right, and seeing Membrey and Bruce already looking like great forward pistons and Hickey playing brilliantly has fed his fevered ambition to push him into Fast track.

Plus perhaps seeing Dogs who seem very comparable with us - Bont v Billings, Daniels v Lonie - go from first year finals to a Grannie, maybe Richo has borrowed Bevo's phrase "Why not us?". Plus the seemingly large number of players potentially moving this trade period where Richo feels we can fill our holes - KPD and mids - has excited him to hit the accelerator hard.

So there it is. Some different approaches. Within larger goals, coaches will evolve their approaches based on how things are playing out - thats the complexity of football. Sorry I know you don;t like complexity JM. That doesn't let you get on your high horse easily.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:and we still haven' got a decent backline?
Get the impression the recruiters have a free agent in line.
Mitch Brown?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
realdeal
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
damienc wrote:Steele would be a good fit for us and we for him IMO. I reckon he is coming.

Maybe the delay is because Steele is hooked into a bunch of other more complex deals we are trying to pull off.

Hartlett is a genuine star. The Power's Vice-Captain.

Taken by Port at pick 4 he is their highest draft score in the club's history. Had some indifferent performances this year by his standards but still managed to average 18 possessions.

A lot of clubs were interested in him a year ago but he stayed loyal to Port and now that loyalty has seemingly not been repaid.

If we get him that's a huge win to us. He has elite kicking skills. Can kick goals for anywhere in a 60 metre arc. Can play forward, back and in the midfield.

When he's on song he will win 26-28 possessions, week in week out. I'm sure we won't be the only ones chasing him again. But Richo knows Hartlett. That could count in our favour.

Also being mentioned in dispatches is the Weagles Tom Lamb wanting to come home. Really hope we get him.

Looks a bit like Eli. Just looks. Not playing style. Much, much taller than Eli.

Lamb has a great St Kilda pedigree. The grandson of Ian Cooper. Enough said.

Cooper was one of the very best to ever wear a St Kilda jumper.

Lamb trained with us but was picked up by West Coast in the draft. He's been described as an enigmatic footballer. Goes missing in a match then does something amazing.

He is tall, (193 cm) athletic with every skill in the book. His downside, if you could call it that, is a small on field attitude problem. He loses match focus.

Reminds me of his Grandfather (a bit) in playing style. But I am an old bastard.

A periodic MIA attitude problem is not a big deal in my view. If he comes to us and we can get that sorted, he is a Blake Acres type IMO.

I am sure Grandad would be a very happy man to see the dynasty continue.

So would I.
All very interesting but No HH is not a 'genuine star'. 26yo and never had a top 5 B & F finish.

Sorry I dont care what anyone says. If you are 26 and havent been top 5 B and F in a mediocre side you are NOT a 'genuine star'. Under no objective definition is this guy a 'genuine star'. In 2016 he finished 17th in the club B & F in a s*** team. How the hell does that make him a 'genuine star'? Please explain?

I am happy to get him but I have some issues with what is being suggested. Firstly you have to give to get.

Second I would be fuming if we give up this years and next years first round picks for mature players.
I second this sentiment wholeheartedly.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, what i have seen of HH doesn't exactly whet the appetite. 'genuine star' is way over the top, unless one has a very loose defiinition of the term.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
damienc
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
damienc wrote:Steele would be a good fit for us and we for him IMO. I reckon he is coming.

Maybe the delay is because Steele is hooked into a bunch of other more complex deals we are trying to pull off.

Taken by Port at pick 4 he is their highest draft score in the club's history. Had some indifferent performances this year by his standards but still managed to average 18 possessions.

A lot of clubs were interested in him a year ago but he stayed loyal to Port and now that loyalty has seemingly not been repaid.

If we get him that's a huge win to us. He has elite kicking skills. Can kick goals for anywhere in a 60 metre arc. Can play forward, back and in the midfield.

When he's on song he will win 26-28 possessions, week in week out. I'm sure we won't be the only ones chasing him again. But Richo knows Hartlett. That could count in our favour.

Also being mentioned in dispatches is the Weagles Tom Lamb wanting to come home. Really hope we get him.

Looks a bit like Eli. Just looks. Not playing style. Much, much taller than Eli.

Lamb trained with us but was picked up by West Coast in the draft. He's been described as an enigmatic footballer. Goes missing in a match then does something amazing.

He is tall, (193 cm) athletic with every skill in the book. His downside, if you could call it that, is a small on field attitude problem. He loses match focus.

Reminds me of his Grandfather (a bit) in playing style. But I am an old bastard.

A periodic MIA attitude problem is not a big deal in my view. If he comes to us and we can get that sorted, he is a Blake Acres type IMO.

So would I.
All very interesting but No HH is not a 'genuine star'. 26yo and never had a top 5 B & F finish.

Sorry I dont care what anyone says. If you are 26 and havent been top 5 B and F in a mediocre side you are NOT a 'genuine star'. Under no objective definition is this guy a 'genuine star'. In 2016 he finished 17th in the club B & F in a s*** team. How the hell does that make him a 'genuine star'? Please explain?

I am happy to get him but I have some issues with what is being suggested. Firstly you have to give to get.

Second I would be fuming if we give up this years and next years first round picks for mature players.

You are entitled to your opinion but I think you are being a bit harsh on HH. If you were to ask any Power supporter to give a truthful answer they would have Hartlett in the top five players at the club irrespective of where he finished in the B & F. He is a high percentage gatherer both contested and uncontested. His stats tell the story. Besides he has hurt us pretty badly when we've played the Power in the past. I never suggested we'd hand over a first round pick to get him. That ain't going to happen. But we might get him as part of a much bigger plan being hatched by our footy club.

Hartlett was also club Vice-Captain. They don't hand that over to people they consider to be foot soldiers. So we agree to disagree on our competing definitions of what constitutes a star.

derby Street
Club Player

damienc wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

So would I.

You are entitled to your opinion but I think you are being a bit harsh on HH. If you were to ask any Power supporter to give a truthful answer they would have Hartlett in the top five players at the club irrespective of where he finished in the B & F. He is a high percentage gatherer both contested and uncontested. His stats tell the story. Besides he has hurt us pretty badly when we've played the Power in the past. I never suggested we'd hand over a first round pick to get him. That ain't going to happen. But we might get him as part of a much bigger plan being hatched by our footy club.

Hartlett was also club Vice-Captain. They don't hand that over to people they consider to be foot soldiers. So we agree to disagree on our competing definitions of what constitutes a star.
You are talking to different Port supporters then me (and sadly I speak (listen :shock: ) to them 5 days a week. Their opinion on HH is totally different to your view and they reckon it will be the deal of the century for them if they can unload him.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Bluthy wrote:I tell you what - if we do get HH and he costs us our first rounder that cements my suspicion that we are genuinely going for it. I would have preferred a slower build to get more top picks at the draft. But getting Carlisle and HH in their prime around that 25 age mark with our top picks starts our premiership clock ticking and indicates that we are releasing the handbrake and putting the foot to the floor to go for that flag in the next few years.

Richo is an ambitious bugger and I reckon he thinks we can have a real crack at it with the likes of Rooey, Joey, Armo still being a contested beast, Gilbo consistently getting on the ground again, Steven hitting his prime and the likes of Robbo, Newnes, Ross hitting an age/games bracket where they are really solid AFL players. Its bold - not the path I would have chosen. But strap yourself in - could be a wild ride over the next few years.
Isn't the club's plan public knowledge?

Or are you say I g that Richardson has hijacked the very public club vision?
Your normal level of nuance JM. What did the Pres say - a flag by 2020? That still leaves a few approaches:

Slow burn - going to the draft with all good picks and only trading in as very low down picks or steak knives. 2020 would be a stretch but still possible.
Medium rare - Willing to trade in players to speed up the team development but who are still in a pretty young age group - Steele would fit into this category
Fast Track - willing to trade in players hitting their prime (Carlisle, Hatlett) which gives us the chance of having Roo, Joey et al at a flag tilt. A flag in 2018 would come into view with this approach as outlandish as it sounds.

Personally I would have loved slow burn (love slow cooking) but I don't think Richo was ever going to go that route fully. PLaying all of Demps, Fish, Joey, Gilbo, Gears in the backline and not turning over the team as much as he could have, indicated he wasn't really aiming for another couple of years of high draft picks.

I do think Richo may have been thinking more of doing it medium rare. However perhaps seeing Acres have a breakout second half of the season, and Gresh jump out of the blocks like a veteran, and Ross and Newnes going up another notch, and Steven become elite, and Rooey kicking 9 goals in a match, and Gilbo getting his foot right, and seeing Membrey and Bruce already looking like great forward pistons and Hickey playing brilliantly has fed his fevered ambition to push him into Fast track.

Plus perhaps seeing Dogs who seem very comparable with us - Bont v Billings, Daniels v Lonie - go from first year finals to a Grannie, maybe Richo has borrowed Bevo's phrase "Why not us?". Plus the seemingly large number of players potentially moving this trade period where Richo feels we can fill our holes - KPD and mids - has excited him to hit the accelerator hard.

So there it is. Some different approaches. Within larger goals, coaches will evolve their approaches based on how things are playing out - thats the complexity of football. Sorry I know you don;t like complexity JM. That doesn't let you get on your high horse easily.

??

The club has shared their vision and approach publicly....

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-13/sai ... ad-to-2018

It's not just the president thinking out loud - it's the club publicly releasing their blueprint for the future. They've told everyone what their aim is, and how they intend to do it.

Top 4 by 2018, and a flag by 2020.

I posted an article the other day from this year where Richardson and Finnis both spoke about the vision.

It was the same approach as when it was released in 2014. They hadn't veered off course at all.

Draft heavily and deep early on, then recruit aggressively with the aim of being top 4 by 2018.

That's only 1 season away. So if we don't recruit good players this pre-season, based on the vision, it would be next year anyway.

So as far as I can see, the club is doing precisely what they set out to do 3 years ago. And Richardson is doing exactly what the club instructed him to do when they hired him.

I think once again, you're just speaking complete s***.

To the top
SS Life Member

You build to maintain and we are coming off a period in time where we did not build to maintain.

That said, my view is that you are in it to win it each and every year.

Even when that objective is obtained you still run the analysis to achieve the build and maintain business plan.

And when you do not achieve the focus on analysis remains the same - build to maintain.

So to the analysis of 2016.

In 2016 we did not achieve from our target recruiting, we improved our number of players able to perform at "best 3 on the ground" level, we improved our scoring abilities but did not maximise this ability to score by restricting the scoring of our opposition (hence our percentage).

So the analysis is how and why we were scored against (and the final game against a bottom 2 Club in Brisbane was a classic case in point).

Address that and I do not see any reason why we should not be serious contenders in 2017 and, given adherence to the business plan, onwards from there.

Mind you, all other Clubs are seeking the very same result as are St Kilda so, to quote Ferguson at Manchester United (para phrased), "I am not interested in what sides out of contention do. I am looking to counter and improve on what those sides in contention do because they are the competition in winning the Championship".

And we now have "Free Agency".

All players courted should accommodate the build to maintain business plan - and the analysis of strengths to be improved on and weaknesses to be addressed and remedied.

Therefore it is not just names - it is what they bring and how they enhance to the required benchmark levels as per the business plan.

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

i know the club has said we wont be trading our first pick this year which is 10. most likely scenario is HH future second rounder or first rounder. i rather try get lachie weller instead. i like tom lamb could be a freak with the right coach. there are rumours going around that giants want carltons pick 5 and will through in either jarrod pickett or james Stewart in with marchbank which they will take Stewart but i would like to see us try get pickett from giants as part of the steele deal. he is a freak went pick 4 in pattys draft. likened to cyril. worth a punt. i dont mind HH for the right price

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Just a hunch, but I suspect we are going to trade a future pick again.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Very interesting read today about the Dogs and Luke Beveridges approach to the team. Players such as Picken, Boyd and one other (name escapes me) who McCartney believed were too old. Beveridge came in and thought they could make a solid contribution to the team and lift it up the ladder. He came from the Hawks and that was Clarko's philosophy as well.

Well we saw Picken dominate yesterday and for mine was player of the fials series and Boyd was AA this year. These 5 year plans are a crock of s***. Play your best teams and make the young guys force their way in. THAT'S what you call a winning environment

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

+1. Five year plans are for people who lack the confidence to back themselves in. And Richmond. Beveridge has just proved that you can go from basket case to premier in two years. Sure, they've drafted and traded well over the past 3-4 years, but two years ago there were fears for their survival. No one was talking premierships then. It takes leaders, not followers. Luke's always been different in his approach. It's what made him a winner at St. Bede's and it's what's made him a winner on the weekend.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

So why can't we win it in 2017?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
spert
Saintsational Legend

Every team should go into a new season and give themselves every chance of winning as many games as possible and hope to reach the finals..if you don't then you cultivate a mentality of excuses for failure or expected failure, and it is hard to get back from that..that's where you pedal out a 5 year plan to cover your poor execution of the job at hand.

Watching the Dogs play this season and during the finals really confirmed that Bevo was emulating Clarkson's early efforts at Hawthorn- manic movement of the ball at all costs..keep the ball moving no matter what.. never hold on to it, immediately give the ball off by hand or foot to a teammate be it a long or short pass, and by doing so, don't give the opposition a chance to man-up or set-up. Mind you, I think the Swans would have won had they remained injury free, but that's history now.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We can win it. Reasonable run with injury is needed. One elite and two handy players traded or drafted in. We weren't that far off it this year, as the WB have shown. They proved that timing and luck are important in any premiership win. Remember, we beat them fairly convincingly late in the year, sending them from 3rd to 7th, where they stayed. They were the form team of the finals, hitting their straps at the right moment, just as Adelaide did in 1997-8. First thing Luke did at the WB is instill the belief it could be done. He did the same thing at St.Bede's/Mentone Tigers. Not believing you can win it is the greatest obstacle you put in place for yourself. As Henry Ford famously said, "Whether think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." Or maybe it was Lara Bingle who said it.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Very interesting read today about the Dogs and Luke Beveridges approach to the team. Players such as Picken, Boyd and one other (name escapes me) who McCartney believed were too old. Beveridge came in and thought they could make a solid contribution to the team and lift it up the ladder. He came from the Hawks and that was Clarko's philosophy as well.

Well we saw Picken dominate yesterday and for mine was player of the fials series and Boyd was AA this year. These 5 year plans are a crock of s***. Play your best teams and make the young guys force their way in. THAT'S what you call a winning environment
A little more of that context, Moods.

"It's still a week short of two years since the Western Bulldogs as an entire club, let alone football team, appeared on their knees, their captain Ryan Griffen walking out to join Greater Western Sydney and their coach Brendan McCartney effectively sacked.

Beveridge wasn't even appointed until November 14, 2014, picking up the reins of a side in disarray, a pre-season already in full swing and along with Griffen, bedrocks of the playing list, Shaun Higgins and Adam Cooney, also having departed. Not even 23 months later, essentially the same list is a premiership combination.

Just three players among Saturday's flag-winning line-up – Caleb Daniel, Josh Dunkley and Toby McLean – have come on to the Bulldogs' list since Beveridge's arrival at the club."

Comes from a Connolly article, so no link.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

I do not believe that Richo has the main say on our list at all.

He has an input, but is not the main one calling the shots. At least that is what Richo told as at Linen House over a year ago and I doubt that has changed.

I believe that those calling the shots want to add players to our new core group who while young, are not necessarily minimum age, and are very open to trading in quite a number of such players if all the potential deals land. Certainly it seems that they want at least one young mid, of not two and at least one key defender.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vazelos
Club Player

The Dogs have recruited well but let's not say they didn't have some fortune with their father son picks which was very low currency picked up before the rules were changed. Libby, Wallis and co were picked up for low draft picks. Geelong had some luck on their premiership era with their father son pick ups. Our players have seemed to all had daiughters and the only one we picked up in Bailey Rice has a fair way to go.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Let's forget about HH and concentrate on stealing Mitchell out from under the nose of the Hawks!!

Get Mitchell along with Steele and Brand, if we could pull that off it would be great trading IMO.

Mitchell - Pick 10 or Longer and future 3rd round
Steele - Future 2nd Round
Brand - 3rd round pick

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dunno about HH but IF we get Steele and use 10 in the draft on best available and then IF Freeman comes good - we will be dangerous.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The potential for drastic improvement is always there...

At the end of 2003 we were all really hoping to make 2004. We could have won it that season.

Get Hartlett, get Steele, get a great kid at #10... Freeman comes on, Paddy + Gresh + Acres + Billings each get a little better, Ross + Membrey + Hickey back up, Carlisle is everything we hoped for, Armo has another 2015...
We could win it

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I like the vibe building in here. The Dogs didn't get to where they are by accident. It took a rebuild and it took a few years of high draft picks. McCartney is a great teacher. He probably enjoyed teaching more than he enjoyed winning games of footy. Actually that's not true. He is a very good assistant but unfortunately was'nt up to the lead role. He helped develop this team and with maturity the pups were ready to rock n roll.

Our playing list is not only improving but it is ready to play finals imo. Tom Boyd was pick 1 in 2013. Paddy McCartin was pick 1 in 2014. All the players named by skeptic along with a few others including Robbo, Newnes, Mckenzie, and some decent trades might help if we find 1 other ingredient. I'm not sure if Richo or our future captain can provide the spark, but someone has to for us to go deep into September. I'm looking for the spiritual leader type like a Bob Murphy. I'm looking for a smart bloke but he also has to be dedicated and sometimes ruthless and ferociously angry

CHARISMA. We've got to have a charismatic leader in the club who can lead St Kilda to the promised land. A person that everyone respects and a person who oozes positivity. A person you believe and trust and a charismatic leader that embraces every player and every staff member. I've figured it out. Now I know why Roo is handing over the captaincy

C'mon Roo. This is your opprtunity to be the best you can be. Don't do it for yourself Roo. Do it for us. Do it for the club and your supporters and your teammates and all the players who've bled for our footy club. You're a champion player Roo. Now you need to step up and become an immortal Saint.

or maybe we import a brownlow medalist

Wombat15
Club Player

as much as i disagreed with the idea of trading 10 in other threads. i think if we got Hartlett, Steele, Lamb and Mackenzie. if out of all that we had to trade our first rounder and later picks. then we get those players in return and somehow manage to stay in the first rounder and get in the second round also, that's a massive win and says we are in for a telling 2017!

saints66
Club Player

sorry @wombat15 cant figure out your reasoning. If we trade our first round and later picks and we dont have a second pick how do we stay in the first and second round. Are you assuming we trade several players to get Steele, Lamb, McKenzie and Hartlett.

Or are you just wishing?

Wombat15
Club Player

saints66 wrote:sorry @wombat15 cant figure out your reasoning. If we trade our first round and later picks and we dont have a second pick how do we stay in the first and second round. Are you assuming we trade several players to get Steele, Lamb, McKenzie and Hartlett.

Or are you just wishing?
Mainly wishing. but if we used pick 10 creatively to get the aforementioned players would be handy. tbh i think im trying to have the cake and eat it. but i think we should be active this period.
in terms of the 2nd rounder i think longer may be that piece as much as i dont think we should trade him. or even a depth player package like Eli, Brodie and Shents would net a 2nd rounder. because i imagine teams like Carlton, Brisbane and GC may pay that.