Etihad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Etihad

I couldn't find anything being mentioned on this, other than hopes, so out on a limb we go. A note received from an associate moments ago:

"Thanks to the Doggies success and making the AFL sit up and take notice of the poor cousins of the AFL ie the tenants of Etihad Stadium, l am advised by a reliable source that tomorrow it will be announced that the AFL have bought the stadium. Even though not much will change, 46 games will still need to be played at Etihad and the G it should be a financial benefit to those playing out of Etihad. All will be revealed at a press conference at 10 tomorrow.

Hopefully this will create some financial benefit to those playing home games at Etihad and equate to those rich clubs playing out of the MCG.

Let's also hope that the dual submission by the Doggies and Saints to play each other on Good Friday gets up and stops the Essendon, Collingwood monopoly on big games played on Public Holidays."

My source - tall bloke, drinks a lot.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Rosco
Club Player

Re: Etihad

Tall blokes are the most trustworthy

Wonderful if true

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Me likee. About time, if true. Well done TOT.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Hope you're right TOT. If we start well next year and look like making finals the crowds should blossom and we want the best deal to maximise that. Also hopefully the AFL can give Etihad more character - maybe put more footy stuff around. It feels too sterile and functional. Part of our deal to moving in should have been we get a % of the stadium when its paid off. Even if that was tiny I bet it would be worth a lot in 20 years.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'd like the seats removed from some of the bays on the wing (St Kilda side). A new 'Animal Enclosure'.

citywest

Stuff Etihad.
Move 4 of our home games to the MCG, 3 to New Zealand and only keep 4 at Etihad. Do this and our financial woes will be gone for good. Keep playing 11 home games at Etihad and we are doomed.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I'd like the seats removed from some of the bays on the wing (St Kilda side). A new 'Animal Enclosure'.
You know it makes sense. Build it and they will come!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Usually id laugh at this stuff
But
I respect tot knowledge and input to the forum
Having said that

f*** knows

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Stuff Etihad.
Move 4 of our home games to the MCG, 3 to New Zealand and only keep 4 at Etihad. Do this and our financial woes will be gone for good. Keep playing 11 home games at Etihad and we are doomed.
Settle pettle. Maybe 2 home games at the G and 2 away games there.

You clearly don't understand that a better stadium deal makes Etihad worthwhile.

Can you comprehend the OP or do you need further help??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Fancy finally getting a good deal at Etihad and then deciding to relocate games to the G??

That's a very "St Kilda" thing to do....for once see it through (unlike Tassie) and just maybe come out in front?

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
Let's also hope that the dual submission by the Doggies and Saints to play each other on Good Friday gets up and stops the Essendon, Collingwood monopoly on big games played on Public Holidays."
The Doggies finish to the year should help our cause a lot.

Add to this that both teams now play fast attacking football which is great to watch and that both teams are on the rise should hopefully see us grab the Good Friday Game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

How does the dogs winning the premiership help our cause? If true negotiations for buying Etihad would have been going on a lot longer than before the dogs win

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
The Doggies finish to the year should help our cause a lot.

Add to this that both teams now play fast attacking football which is great to watch and that both teams are on the rise should hopefully see us grab the Good Friday Game.
Just a nitpicker, SRR, I didn't actually say that - it was a little commentary added by the bloke I was quoting.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:How does the dogs winning the premiership help our cause? If true negotiations for buying Etihad would have been going on a lot longer than before the dogs win
Dunno 'cat, but the Tall Bloke did append what I communicated here, a little later.

"I will reveal more after the press conference. I haven’t provided more info in fear of breach of confidence in case one of you blokes goes to the Rumour File as has happened once before.

The purchase will provide some fixturing problems for the Doggies eg Cairns, Ballarat but it will provide some financial relief for the home sides at Etihad."

I'm entirely confident it 'tweren't me who went to the Rumour File with a previous revelation from The Tall One - I haven't listened to 3AW since 1992.

The Recruit
Club Player

citywest wrote:Stuff Etihad.
Never going to happen
More like

7 Etihad
2 MCG
1 New Zealand
1 Morrabin (gws or Gold Coast alternate years)

robbie muir
Club Player

Don't think we are ever going to play a match again at Moorabbin for premiership points.

I'm not sure of the plans for the redevelopment but I'd bet my last dollar it wont include grandstands for 20,000 supporters.

The Recruit
Club Player

robbie muir wrote:Don't think we are ever going to play a match again at Moorabbin for premiership points.

I'm not sure of the plans for the redevelopment but I'd bet my last dollar it wont include grandstands for 20,000 supporters.

would be awesome though...thats the kind of thing that makes a club awesome

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:
robbie muir wrote:Don't think we are ever going to play a match again at Moorabbin for premiership points.

would be awesome though...thats the kind of thing that makes a club awesome
Not going to happen unfortunately.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
creepypolar
Club Player

It's been done. Purchased for $200 mill

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:I couldn't find anything being mentioned on this, other than hopes, so out on a limb we go. A note received from an associate moments ago:

"Thanks to the Doggies success and making the AFL sit up and take notice of the poor cousins of the AFL ie the tenants of Etihad Stadium, l am advised by a reliable source that tomorrow it will be announced that the AFL have bought the stadium. Even though not much will change, 46 games will still need to be played at Etihad and the G it should be a financial benefit to those playing out of Etihad. All will be revealed at a press conference at 10 tomorrow.

Hopefully this will create some financial benefit to those playing home games at Etihad and equate to those rich clubs playing out of the MCG.

Salute!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Top marks, TOT. You can always trust a tall man who drinks a lot. Except when that tall man who drinks a lot is me. You've been warned!

santazzi
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I couldn't find anything being mentioned on this, other than hopes, so out on a limb we go. A note received from an associate moments ago:

Salute!
TOT please pass on my respect to the "Tall One". And thank you for sharing this gem.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

At last we have an AFL CEO that has done something that will significantly benefit our club. We may have a benefactor in the chair, a bit like Carlton has Mike Fitzpatrick and the expansion teams had Vlad. What an opportunity for the club to secure its financial future. Don't stuff this up, sainters! Drive the hardest of bargains. The AFL needs you at docklands. Then we can give up on the ridiculous push into NZ, which was doomed from the start.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

You're officially an ITK now TOT - you've got the runs on the board now to give you some cred. Nice inside work.

Hopefully this is great news for Saints. Although I'm looking out for the AFL's "Well first we need to cover the sale price, then the revamp cost...." to put off improving the deals substantially. But you would think they would only buy early with improving those deals in mind

It also lets the AFL put their stamp on Etihad a lot more to give it some more footy soul. Tenant clubs might get to put their own stamp on the stadium a bit more. Could we get a permanent musuem/sales stand to sell goods and membership but also have Saints memrobilia you could visit, some permanent branding somewhere, more use of the electronic signs to do what we want, what about statues outside? Maybe Saints fans get access to Etihad events first - MMA, concerts etc - probably not but you can dream.

It does need revitalising and needs to link into docklands better. Heres hoping the AFL do it right.