Luke Dunstan to be traded?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Dunstan to be traded?

Vazelos wrote: Sun 19 Jul 2020 11:31am I wrote this piece in 2016 about Dunstan and in 2020 he wasn’t picked by Ratten and the new football staff...a different coach and regime and they deemed him not up to first 22 status and now he is injured....
Some on here called him a future captain of the club....
I had a read I found interesting who was backing the pro Dunstan crew opinions are fine to make but some comments like
“ you have no idea about football”
“ Some of us actually watch the game”
I see Saynta who went hard on my comments about Seb Ross this week was in the pro Dunstan crew back in 2016....
Funny reading posts 4 years ago questioning a players ability and then you see 4 years later he is running around in the seconds when he is at his prime as a player...
Now he is injured and will probably go into the end of the season having not played a game this year with Bytel and Byrnes coming in and my intel is we have a Free Agent mid lined up next year.
Don’t see any space for Luke I wander what the guys in here that “ have an idea about football” think about that...
Saynta? What are your thoughts mate?
Dredging up old posts can be tricky.

How convinced are you that Bytel and Byrnes are "coming in". I note in your OP that you claimed DMac was an "up and commmer" but you recently dumped a big load on him. Personally I think B1 and B2 are a long way off it and some of the slow development is going to be through no fault of thier own due to COVID restrictions and no feeder comp. They aren't alone though, I know some young players in other clubs that are experiencing the same frustration. I fear COVID could make it very hard over the next few years for players to establish themselves at the elite level.

Luke could be handy in our side as a depth player for the midfield or he could find a full time roll in another side that allows him to take it up a notch.

The shame about Luke going to a side like the Crows is he will be in another side that is at the start of a rebuild and could be the number one bannana again that most good sides can defend out of games.

He could have, could still be anyting with a bit of luck but if I was him I would be trying to slim down as much as possible and build better endurance running as a starter and modify his game to not always be the battering ram.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sun 19 Jul 2020 11:26pm There are some cheque’s being written by a certain new squillionaire that Bassat has brought on board to finance our momentum they are determined this time we don’t fail due to a lack of funds like so many times in the past when we get close.
I really like the sound of this becuse if it is true then this is what we are going to need. Without it, we a doomed to the status quo and the current debt crisis that is about to rock the AFL to it's core will ensure our club will come in for extra special attention over the next few years as the recession deepens.

Our debt is already likely to be around the $20 million or more at the end of this year and the elephant in the room that is revenue generation isn't going away any time soon.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 9:10am Keep trading out heart and soul players for next to nothing and trading in mercenary cowards for way over the odds will work wonders for the culture of the place!
If the 6 years prior to 2020 is what we get to feast on with heart & soul players, let me starve on the "mercenary cowards" table.

I'd suggest the professionalism, complete with skill sets IP from other clubs has been identified by our recruiters, on and off field, to improve our culture and our standing as a club other players look at.

I'm fully trusting that we have a plan not just for the present but the next decade. I've enjoyed watching and supporting the likes of Bruce, Dunstan, Steven, Stanley, Acres, Hickey (ok, enjoy may be a tad much) but I've enjoyed supporting St Kilda a lot more in 2020 and look forward to 2021 and 2022.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 8:50am
jaxons wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2016 1:04am
Vazelos wrote:It's not a strong rumour or source but I did hear Luke Dunstan may be traded back to SA.
With the emerging Acres, Gresham , Billings and Mc Kenzie and Steele and Stephens coming in as well as hopefully Freeman coming good to compliment Jack Steven, Armitage and Ross is Dunstan under the pump to keep his spot?
He is a reasonable to good player but is he good enough for a top 4 side?
I have some question marks on him not convinced either way yet to rule him in or out I'm on the fence long term.

It's posts like these that make me question being a member of this site.
Sorry matey but you have no idea about football.
It seems like I may have had an idea!!
4 years ago I got smashed for querying Dunstan as a long term player now he is being traded as steak knives. I can handle being told I’m wrong but it looks like I may have seen something that’s others didn’t.
Too slow, limited running capacity, poor kick and average hands. 2 coaches kept dropping him.
Great character work ethic and hardness got him to a 100 games in a poor team he is a long way off a top 4 mid fielder.
I love the direction the club is taking because I love Long and Paton and didn’t think Webster and Savage were the answer. Webster and Dunstan for Crouch and salary cap space and some picks great work Saints.
For the record that was an anomaly by Jaxons he has been for the majority of time a gentlemen and a great provider of nostalgia videos we do agree on our love for Plugger. Saynta you were in the Dunstan cheer squad as you are in the Seb Ross Cheer squad which I am in neither let’s see if Ross can perform now as a B grade tagging role player albeit on Grade A money.
🖕🖕🖕

I think for once jaxons got it right.

At this stage it is just some guy 's masturbatory fantasy ffs

:roll:

Vazelos
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 9:58am
Vazelos wrote:It's not a strong rumour or source but I did hear Luke Dunstan may be traded back to SA.
With the emerging Acres, Gresham , Billings and Mc Kenzie and Steele and Stephens coming in as well as hopefully Freeman coming good to compliment Jack Steven, Armitage and Ross is Dunstan under the pump to keep his spot?
I have some question marks on him not convinced either way yet to rule him in or out I'm on the fence long term.

4 years ago I got smashed for querying Dunstan as a long term player now he is being traded as steak knives. I can handle being told I’m wrong but it looks like I may have seen something that’s others didn’t.
Too slow, limited running capacity, poor kick and average hands. 2 coaches kept dropping him.
Great character work ethic and hardness got him to a 100 games in a poor team he is a long way off a top 4 mid fielder.
I love the direction the club is taking because I love Long and Paton and didn’t think Webster and Savage were the answer. Webster and Dunstan for Crouch and salary cap space and some picks great work Saints.
For the record that was an anomaly by Jaxons he has been for the majority of time a gentlemen and a great provider of nostalgia videos we do agree on our love for Plugger. Saynta you were in the Dunstan cheer squad as you are in the Seb Ross Cheer squad which I am in neither let’s see if Ross can perform now as a B grade tagging role player albeit on Grade A money.
🖕🖕🖕

Got it right?!!
Yeah mate been traded as steak knives that is how right you both got it.
You cried blue murder about Ross early in the year half the supporter base want him traded now.
Some see things others dont that is how it is sure you will get it right somewhere.

Im also reading about your ideas about cocaine how old are you seriously?
Baby Boomer I would suggest.
Our Scotch & Coke is a line of coke for them that is the generation now, no problem with Crouch he will be a beauty.

Vazelos
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 9:38am
Vazelos wrote: Sun 19 Jul 2020 11:31am I wrote this piece in 2016 about Dunstan and in 2020 he wasn’t picked by Ratten and the new football staff...a different coach and regime and they deemed him not up to first 22 status and now he is injured....
Some on here called him a future captain of the club....
I had a read I found interesting who was backing the pro Dunstan crew opinions are fine to make but some comments like
“ you have no idea about football”
“ Some of us actually watch the game”
I see Saynta who went hard on my comments about Seb Ross this week was in the pro Dunstan crew back in 2016....
Funny reading posts 4 years ago questioning a players ability and then you see 4 years later he is running around in the seconds when he is at his prime as a player...
Now he is injured and will probably go into the end of the season having not played a game this year with Bytel and Byrnes coming in and my intel is we have a Free Agent mid lined up next year.
Don’t see any space for Luke I wander what the guys in here that “ have an idea about football” think about that...
Saynta? What are your thoughts mate?
Dredging up old posts can be tricky.

How convinced are you that Bytel and Byrnes are "coming in". I note in your OP that you claimed DMac was an "up and commmer" but you recently dumped a big load on him. Personally I think B1 and B2 are a long way off it and some of the slow development is going to be through no fault of thier own due to COVID restrictions and no feeder comp. They aren't alone though, I know some young players in other clubs that are experiencing the same frustration. I fear COVID could make it very hard over the next few years for players to establish themselves at the elite level.

Luke could be handy in our side as a depth player for the midfield or he could find a full time roll in another side that allows him to take it up a notch.

The shame about Luke going to a side like the Crows is he will be in another side that is at the start of a rebuild and could be the number one bannana again that most good sides can defend out of games.

He could have, could still be anyting with a bit of luck but if I was him I would be trying to slim down as much as possible and build better endurance running as a starter and modify his game to not always be the battering ram.
You are right its dangerous to bring up old posts its not my normal behaviour but there are ways to argue a point & being told I have" no idea about football" is not a way to talk to someone but to his credit like I said that was a one off from jaxon he has always been very well behaved now hardly seen I suggest his contacts were in the AR era as he was known as the exalted ITK guy.
It stung pretty hard at the time so I did keep it in the memory box & Dunstan has ended up injured in a scratch match struggling to get a game he has been dropped that many times I lost count.
Too slow,average tank, average to poor kick and average hands he had hardness & a great attitude not enough.

Your swipe re McKenzie is completely off the mark that post was 4 years ago that is a full AFL list cycle.
You go into any list from 4 years ago over 50% have changed atleast I said then he was an up and comer 2 years ago I assessed him as not being up to it & that was when he was getting a game regularly under AR.
I didn't assess after he got dropped but when he was a first 22 player. Mc kenzie is a not a smart footballer, poor kick, cant defend 1 v1 and cant hold his feet in contests. He is good athlete but not enough whoever gave him 3 years contract made a huge error.

Now you ask me about Bytel & Byrnes.
Let me first say that these boys are coming into a very different era to 2012-16 when average players were getting games pretty easy. Curran, Saunders, Dunstan etc
These boys will have a much bigger challenge.
I can assure you Bytel is the real deal he is strongly regarded by our football department.
He has plenty of upside he has only had 1 preseason after his back he will be 20% better next year.
Early days for Byrnes I saw him play once so cant comment didn't have Sandy form to get a better idea.
What I saw when we recruited him was some nice acceleration speed & I thought this kid looks like a higher pick than what we took him for.
I was disappointed for Langlands I am trying to find out what happened there I thought the boy showed something.
2 other players expect to keep an eye on & that is Clavarino & Leo Connolly.
I have hopes for both hopefully Sandy next year will be running.
Last edited by Vazelos on Sat 24 Oct 2020 3:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 3:16pm

🖕🖕🖕

Got it right?!!
You cried blue murder about Ross early in the year half the supporter base want him traded now.
Some see things others dont that is how it is sure you will get it right somewhere.

Our Scotch & Coke is a line of coke for them that is the generation now, no problem with Crouch he will be a beauty.
First off I have never drunk f****** scotch in my life

And second jaxons was correct about you. If I actually remembered any of your posts, I probably would have come to the same conclusion.

I will believe the trade when the saints confirm it.

Until then it is just another unsubstantiated rumour.🥱🥱🥱

The only ones bagging Ross are the ones who don't have a f****** clue.😋😋

ace
Saintsational Legend

So what is Dunstan worth as a trade.
What is Webster worth as a trade
What is McKenzie worth as a trade.
What is Joyce worth as a trade.
What is Roberton worth as a trade.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Vazelos
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 3:35pm

🖕🖕🖕

Got it right?!!

And second jaxons was correct about you. If I actually remembered any of your posts, I probably would have come to the same conclusion.

You have no idea about modern day life old fella then go have a cup of tea.
Again no real detail personal attacks you truly have no idea you cant even admit when you are wrong.
Steak knives mate for a plodder dropped that many times one of you said he was a future captain!!
HAHA...hilarious....absolutely clueless....
You are a cheer leader typical supporter type over values his players thinks its a badge of honor to assess players better than what they are thank god we have serious list managers running our club & not clueless sycophants like yourself.
If we win it you will be jumping up & down like all of us but it wont be with Dunstan & Ross in the middle unless your following SANFL!!
I have forgotten more about football than you would remember & another thing , my ITK intel is second to none but true ITK dont share it on forums because you would lose your contact very quickly anyone with half an idea knows that. Half the things I know & hear come up here within a few days of me knowing anyway so why would you jump on to become the exalted ITK guy for people on here to pat you on the back. The intel would finish pretty quick if your burning your sources.
Last edited by Vazelos on Sat 24 Oct 2020 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Appreciate your opinion and insights Vaz

Apologies for the unnecessary rudeness you’ve unnecessarily had to endure... leopards and spots and all that, guess it was your turn.

You’re spot on with Dunstan and called it sometime back. Be interesting to see how it all plays out

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 3:44pm

🖕🖕🖕

Got it right?!!

Again no real detail personal attacks you truly have no idea you cant even admit when you are wrong.
Steak knives mate for a plodder dropped that many times one of you said he was a future captain!!
Your a cheer leader typical supporter type over values his players thinks its a badge of honor to assess players better than what they are thank god we have serious list managers running our club & not clueless sycophants like yourself.
If we win it you will be jumping up & down like all of us but it wont be with Dunstan & Ross in the middle unless your following SANFL!!
I have forgotten more about football than you would remember & another thing , my ITK intel is second to none but true ITK dont share it on forums because you would lose your contact very quickly anyone with half an idea knows that. Half the things I know & hear come up here within a few days of me knowing anyway so why would you jump on to become the exalted ITK guy for people on here to pat you on the back. The intel would finish pretty quick if your burning your sources.
🤥🤥🤥

takeaway
Club Player

🖕🖕🖕

Got it right?!!

You are a cheer leader typical supporter type over values his players thinks its a badge of honor to assess players better than what they are thank god we have serious list managers running our club & not clueless sycophants like yourself.
I think Dunstan is underrated by quite a few posters. I would prefer to keep him, agreed he is getting pushed down the mid pecking order, but he would have played quite a few games this year except for his injury. However, if he cannot consistently get a game, I don't blame him for seeking a change -- certainly not for steak knives though. After all, he was second only to Steele this year in average brownlow votes polled per game!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 4:35pm

🖕🖕🖕

Got it right?!!

I think Dunstan is underrated by quite a few posters. I would prefer to keep him, agreed he is getting pushed down the mid pecking order, but he would have played quite a few games this year except for his injury. However, if he cannot consistently get a game, I don't blame him for seeking a change -- certainly not for steak knives though. After all, he was second only to Steele this year in average brownlow votes polled per game!!
Unlike the above a sensible post which I fully agree with., and with no skitting bulls*** :wink: :wink:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

You can put whatever spin on it you want but even before injury this year, he’s been on the list for 5+ years and failed to cement a spot in the top 22.

Absolutely has shown patches and looked like taking the next step, but he hasn’t.
Not overly fast
Doesn’t win enough ball
Average disposal

Career disposal efficacy at 47%, kicking at 30%

Those % can be misleading for an actual inside player but in LD’s case, they simply are not.

With Crouch in... whose spot would he take in the middle? Steele, Hannebery, Hill, Jones, Ross, Clark, Billings, Gresh... Is arguably behind Bytel now too who is arguably has more upside.

I called it a while ago... the only hope he had was to reinvent himself in another position. A pressure forward spot utilising his tackling may have been worth a look... especially if he could kick the odd goal... alas they felt Kent’s 4 kicks a game and SFA goals offered more in that

Vazelos
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 4:57pm You can put whatever spin on it you want but even before injury this year, he’s been on the list for 5+ years and failed to cement a spot in the top 22.

Absolutely has shown patches and looked like taking the next step, but he hasn’t.
Not overly fast
Doesn’t win enough ball
Average disposal

Those % can be misleading for an actual inside player but in LD’s case, they simply are not.

With Crouch in... whose spot would he take in the middle? Steele, Hannebery, Hill, Jones, Ross, Clark, Billings, Gresh... Is arguably behind Bytel now too who is arguably has more upside.

I called it a while ago... the only hope he had was to reinvent himself in another position. A pressure forward spot utilising his tackling may have been worth a look... especially if he could kick the odd goal... alas they felt Kent’s 4 kicks a game and SFA goals offered more in that
Spot on Skeptic real list analysis & scouting is not for everyone. Saynta is for the Cheersquad.

Vazelos
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 3:52pm Appreciate your opinion and insights Vaz

Apologies for the unnecessary rudeness you’ve unnecessarily had to endure... leopards and spots and all that, guess it was your turn.

You’re spot on with Dunstan and called it sometime back. Be interesting to see how it all plays out
Thank you Skeptic there were some fiercely loyal & passionate Dunstan fans who are licking their wounds now he was going to Captain the side win a brownlow and be a star as far as they were concerned it was never going to happen don't know what some people see they could watch the game 60 years it would not change their limitations.
We went from 14th to 6th because players like Dunstan & Mckenzie were nowhere near the first 22 and Ross game has been changed to a B Grade tagging role player. Players like Long and Paton who I have backed from early on are getting game these guys are nailing it I am very happy.
Anyone that doesn't rate Crouch & is not excited to what he is going to bring to this team has no idea about footy. He will make Hills game better, he will help everybody.
Exciting times again & all the Dunstan fans will quickly forget & jump on when we start going deep into finals.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Well, It looks like that deal is going to be done. I wish Dunstan and Webster well. Popular members of the Saints team and deserving of a chance to play regular AFL football. I've alway rated Webster highly, but injuries have often got in the way. Dunstan is a tough and capable clearance player with inconsistent foot skills. Hope they both do very well at Adelaide. It's disappointing to see guys like these go, but they are casualties of the drive by the football club to get to the next level. They played through a difficult era for the club and busted their guts out there. We should all thank them for their efforts. They are both brave and hard working footballers. I'll be cheering them on whenever they play for the Crows.

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 4:57pm You can put whatever spin on it you want but even before injury this year, he’s been on the list for 5+ years and failed to cement a spot in the top 22.

Not overly fast
Doesn’t win enough ball
Average disposal

Yes, as I said Dunstan is behind a few now, and who came blame him if he wants more game time. Still ahead of Bytel, Byrnes though. Clubs need at least 12 players capable of going through the midfield, and Dunstan is very good backup, able to step in and do well. There will be injuries, and you need good backup. However, Saints don't have many draft picks and that means trading players.

Let's hope Crouch puts in at least part of the effort Dunstan has when he has been shouldering a heavy load for the Saints. I hope we keep Dunstan. I'll believe the Adelaide deal when it happens.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we could've kept Dunstan for spare parts!
Crouch and Hannabery might need new hamstrings.

Freebird
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 9:10am Keep trading out heart and soul players for next to nothing and trading in mercenary cowards for way over the odds will work wonders for the culture of the place!
Our midfield had been average at best and if we do not replace average players we will not finish top 4.

Good teams do not keep average players because its bad for the culture.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 7:03pm
Our midfield had been average at best and if we do not replace average players we will not finish top 4.

So we'll keep bringing in has-beens with dodgy hamstrings and alleged or proven drug issues to improve our culture?
At worst Dunstan was in our top 25-28 and should have been kept for when one of the mercenaries is out!

saintkid
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 7:18pm
Freebird wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 7:03pm

So we'll keep bringing in has-beens with dodgy hamstrings and alleged or proven drug issues to improve our culture?
At worst Dunstan was in our top 25-28 and should have been kept for when one of the mercenaries is out!
I agree. Dunstan was devoid of opportunity so he wasn't given an opportunity to prove his worth. Yet someone like Kent gets game after game proving on each occasion what a spud he is.
I'm disappointed to be losing him too, like Acres as he he's easily in our top 25.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 5:50pm

Thank you Skeptic there were some fiercely loyal & passionate Dunstan fans who are licking their wounds now he was going to Captain the side win a brownlow and be a star as far as they were concerned it was never going to happen don't know what some people see they could watch the game 60 years it would not change their limitations.
We went from 14th to 6th because players like Dunstan & Mckenzie were nowhere near the first 22 and Ross game has been changed to a B Grade tagging role player. Players like Long and Paton who I have backed from early on are getting game these guys are nailing it I am very happy.
Anyone that doesn't rate Crouch & is not excited to what he is going to bring to this team has no idea about footy. He will make Hills game better, he will help everybody.
Exciting times again & all the Dunstan fans will quickly forget & jump on when we start going deep into finals.
Great post
Ignore muppets who get attached to players don’t want change and are happy with mid table finishes for nice boys
Eff that we want to win this bloody thing
Crouch is a solid get - no star but he’s had way better years at his best (2019 BnF winner) than any of our mids and he wins plenty of the ball and feeds those outside we all saw against Tigers we couldn’t win a clearance without Ryder he will help enormously
Now who else?..
I would’ve like Caldwell as he gave us future growth but I guess it’s now Bytel/Byrnes etc we need to back in now
Merret next year would be nice ......love to stick a knife through Dedoro heart....
Still think we need another quality mid then on to Bing

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 9:01pm Merret next year would be nice ......love to stick a knife through Dedoro heart....
Have you learnt nothing about vampires.

Only a wooden stake through the heart kills them.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Vazelos
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 9:01pm
Vazelos wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 5:50pm

Great post
Ignore muppets who get attached to players don’t want change and are happy with mid table finishes for nice boys
Eff that we want to win this bloody thing
Crouch is a solid get - no star but he’s had way better years at his best (2019 BnF winner) than any of our mids and he wins plenty of the ball and feeds those outside we all saw against Tigers we couldn’t win a clearance without Ryder he will help enormously
Now who else?..
I would’ve like Caldwell as he gave us future growth but I guess it’s now Bytel/Byrnes etc we need to back in now
Merret next year would be nice ......love to stick a knife through Dedoro heart....
Still think we need another quality mid then on to Bing
Cheers Teflon.
I enjoy visiting here talking to some intelligent informed people and sharing my passion with the Saints but as you can see by the number of my posts compared to others it doesn’t define me.
Skeptic and yourself are Guys I can relate to who know their football and have the mentality above some of the average thinkers here.
Thanks once again.