16 or so wins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

16 or so wins

Might need some luck, but seems possible.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: 16 or so wins

perfectionist wrote:Might need some luck, but seems possible.
What's wrong with 25 wins?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Not getting a head of ourselves.......are we!!!!

and we have a much harder draw next year.
Last edited by chook23 on Thu 27 Oct 2016 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saint4life
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

10 wins will be a good effort next year 2018 will be our year

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We've got a lot of home games so no reason not to set our sights high. Twelve to 16 will do me.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We've got a lot of home games so no reason not to set our sights high. Twelve to 16 will do me.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Looking at that draw, we'll be doing well to match the same number of wins as this year. One of the hardest draws of any club.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Cmon guys, so pessimistic. Going by last year it's a tough schedule but surely we have improved too!

If 2 guys breakout like Ross we will be set with our more stable defensive unit. Hopefully it's acres and paddy.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Other clubs will improve as well. I think these may be closer to us next year:
Bluescum, Dees, Bombers
These will deteriorate:
Filth, Cats, Dawks, Norf, Hardwick's Hobos
Those clubs are deluded.
Therefore we should win at least 12.
Having 10 of the first 12 at ES is a bonus, but geepers we have to get better interstate.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
lewdogs
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Looking at that draw, we'll be doing well to match the same number of wins as this year. One of the hardest draws of any club.
I don't really get this; I see that the AFL have rated it as hard, but I think we are the benificiaries of a few discrepencies.

We play North and Richmond twice, who I expect to slide. We play Melb twice, who we have the wood on. WC twice I think we can split, and with some luck we can get 1/2 against the Swans.

The two trips to Perth are tough and I would mark those down as losses, as well as the Adelaide trips (could sneak one against Port). But 10/12 opening games at Etihad! I think the draw looks pretty nice for us and we should win more games than this year.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We simply must beat Hawthorn in Tassie.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Love this time of year - how we dream!

Always remember talking to a Richmond fan - must've been 10 years ago - and he was off to the first game of the season full of beans, said it was the only game of the year where he could walk up really feeling they might be a chance for the flag!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

an awful pre-bye schedule. if we can come out of that close to even we'll be set for a good run home. not many six day breaks this year either. we need to split our double ups againts west coast, get at least two interstate wins, and beat the likes of melbourne, north, and richmond twice. Do that and we play finals.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
spert
Saintsational Legend

Must fix terrible interstate games performances. We should be going into every season with an aim to win a premiership in that season.

Vazelos
Club Player

We have been given the 3rd toughest draw in the competition so if we make finals we would have earned it.

Some teams we are competing against to make the 8 have it way easier like North Melbourne.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... bb9711bac5

To the top
SS Life Member

The key is to defeat the sides which finished below us in 2016 - which we generally were able to do consistently in 2016 except for travels interstate where losses were ultimately costly against Port Adelaide and Gold Coast - and defeat the likes of Geelong (not at Geelong), Hawthorn and North Melbourne (twice) each of whom I would expect to slide down the ladder.

Plus continuing to pinch points off the WB's which we have done in the last couple of years.

So we have to firstly cover any improvement in the sides that finished below us in 2016 - and with Carlisle, Freeman, Steele, Stevens and Brown plus 2 Second Round Draft Picks and expected improvement from several younger players we are in a good position to achieve this given a diligent preparation for season 2017.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Might need some luck, but seems possible.
Tend to agree I would be confident with 13 and a possiblr 16 wins - things are looking up.

Sanctorum
Club Player

With 14 games at Etihad Stadium which are in reality all Home games, plus 2 at the MCG against Melbourne and Richmond, a total of 16 wins is most certainly achievable. You can also add the Round 6 match against Hawtorn in Tasmania as a likely win, as the Saints almost did in 2016 if it wasn't for a poor umpiring decision.

The 2017 Saints lineup should be a vastly superior team to 2016, especially in defence with the addition of Brown at FB and Carlisle at CHB. They will make a huge difference, mark my words!

At last we have a senior coach that rates both Ruckmen and Key Defenders, because Grant Thomas didn't rate having a top ruckman in his sides, and Lyon obviously didn't rate having top key defenders in his sides, nor the inclination to develop any.

There is also considerable improvement going to come from the midfield division, with Billings, Acres and Dunstan to come of age following break-out seasons from Ross and Gresham, supporting Jack Steven and Armitage.

The depth of St Kilda's midfield is the best it has ever been - to the players already mentioned you can add Minchington, Savage, Newnes, Weller, Jack Steele, Koby Stevens, Montagna, Lonie, Sinclair, Wright who are all either emerging or proven on-ballers. If Freeman manages to get his hamstrings working as they should that will give even more options, and we have yet to find out if Rice can get to the top level.

Mhe forward set up is equally impressive, and if Paddy McCartin can keep his head away from the firing line he should bag at least 60-70 goals. He has Membrey and Bruce as support, both are gun forwards.

And then there is old Nick - my mates will tell you that I campaigned for years to have him traded as I always considered Koschitske as a much better key forward. It is arguable that Nick Riewoldt had his best season yet in 2016 - certainly from a team perspective he contributed in ways not seen before, and I fully expect that he will continue to develop in the role of swingman, and provide that X-Factor that will put the Saints into serious finals contention in 2017.

My predictions for 2017:

Round 1: Melbourne ES - WIN
Round 2: WCE - DS - LOSS
Round 3: Lions - ES - WIN
Round 4: Collingwood - ES - WIN
Round 5: Geelong - ES - WIN
Round 6: Hawthorn - US - WIN
Round 7: GWS - ES - WIN
Round 8: Carlton - ES - WIN
Round 9: Sydney - ES - WIN
Round 10: WB - ES - WIN
Round 11: BYE
Round 12: Adelaide - AO - LOSS
Round 13: North Melbourne - ES - WIN
Round 14: Gold Coast - ES - WIN
Round 15: Fremantle - DS - LOSS - but that depends on Freo's form at the time
Round 16: Richmond - ES - WIN
Round 17: Essendon - ES - WIN
Round 18: Sydney - SCG - LOSS
Round 19: Port Adelaide - LOSS
Round 20: WCE - ES - WIN
Round 21: Melbourne - MCG - WIN
Round 22: North Melbourne - ES - WIN
Round 23: Richmond - MCG - WIN

I imagine that the Football department at St Kilda will have in mind a similar score card for next year, and will be working hard to make that happen.

Season 2017 can't come soon enough!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
asiu
Saintsational Legend

haven't looked at the draw
... but the consensus seems to be , its a tough draw .... thats GOOD , imo.

Thankyou Goddess.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:
st.byron wrote:Looking at that draw, we'll be doing well to match the same number of wins as this year. One of the hardest draws of any club.
I don't really get this; I see that the AFL have rated it as hard, but I think we are the benificiaries of a few discrepencies.

We play North and Richmond twice, who I expect to slide. We play Melb twice, who we have the wood on. WC twice I think we can split, and with some luck we can get 1/2 against the Swans.

The two trips to Perth are tough and I would mark those down as losses, as well as the Adelaide trips (could sneak one against Port). But 10/12 opening games at Etihad! I think the draw looks pretty nice for us and we should win more games than this year.
First off - Lewdogs, is that an Arkley painting in your avatar? If it is; Respect.

Secondly - we'll thrash Fremantle in Perth.

But... we'll miss finals again despite winning 12 games (again.)

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote:With 14 games at Etihad Stadium which are in reality all Home games, plus 2 at the MCG against Melbourne and Richmond, a total of 16 wins is most certainly achievable. You can also add the Round 6 match against Hawtorn in Tasmania as a likely win, as the Saints almost did in 2016 if it wasn't for a poor umpiring decision.

The 2017 Saints lineup should be a vastly superior team to 2016, especially in defence with the addition of Brown at FB and Carlisle at CHB. They will make a huge difference, mark my words!

At last we have a senior coach that rates both Ruckmen and Key Defenders, because Grant Thomas didn't rate having a top ruckman in his sides, and Lyon obviously didn't rate having top key defenders in his sides, nor the inclination to develop any.

There is also considerable improvement going to come from the midfield division, with Billings, Acres and Dunstan to come of age following break-out seasons from Ross and Gresham, supporting Jack Steven and Armitage.

The depth of St Kilda's midfield is the best it has ever been - to the players already mentioned you can add Minchington, Savage, Newnes, Weller, Jack Steele, Koby Stevens, Montagna, Lonie, Sinclair, Wright who are all either emerging or proven on-ballers. If Freeman manages to get his hamstrings working as they should that will give even more options, and we have yet to find out if Rice can get to the top level.

Mhe forward set up is equally impressive, and if Paddy McCartin can keep his head away from the firing line he should bag at least 60-70 goals. He has Membrey and Bruce as support, both are gun forwards.

And then there is old Nick - my mates will tell you that I campaigned for years to have him traded as I always considered Koschitske as a much better key forward. It is arguable that Nick Riewoldt had his best season yet in 2016 - certainly from a team perspective he contributed in ways not seen before, and I fully expect that he will continue to develop in the role of swingman, and provide that X-Factor that will put the Saints into serious finals contention in 2017.

My predictions for 2017:

Round 1: Melbourne ES - WIN
Round 2: WCE - DS - LOSS
Round 3: Lions - ES - WIN
Round 4: Collingwood - ES - WIN
Round 5: Geelong - ES - WIN
Round 11: BYE
Round 12: Adelaide - AO - LOSS
Round 13: North Melbourne - ES - WIN
Round 14: Gold Coast - ES - WIN
Round 15: Fremantle - DS - LOSS - but that depends on Freo's form at the time
Round 16: Richmond - ES - WIN
Round 17: Essendon - ES - WIN
Round 18: Sydney - SCG - LOSS
Round 19: Port Adelaide - LOSS
Round 20: WCE - ES - WIN
Round 21: Melbourne - MCG - WIN
Round 22: North Melbourne - ES - WIN
Round 23: Richmond - MCG - WIN

I imagine that the Football department at St Kilda will have in mind a similar score card for next year, and will be working hard to make that happen.

Season 2017 can't come soon enough!!
Thomo made a joke about ruckman and media spun it that he didn't rate them.

He nearly got Cox to the club

Not sure what you mean about Lyon and defenders but it's untrue

You rate Kosi better than Roo?

You are either a troll or just take taking the piss

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sanctorum
Club Player

"nearly" getting Cox is meaningless, facts are that Thomas went into many games without a recognised ruckman, and that includes Kosi who IMHO would have thrived as a key forward in any team other than St Kilda.

Lyon's modus operandi at both St Kilda and Fremantle has been to work with existing players developed by his predecessors, and apart from the ever reliable but under-sized Max Hudghton (who he scorned in the 2009 GF) he did not have, nor recruit or develop, a big gun defender, at both clubs...unless you are referring to the hapless Dawson.

Roo is an elite player, and a phenomenal athlete - but on the big stage he far too often choked in front of goals, viz the 2009 and 2010 Grand Finals.

You are welcome to your opinions, and I like to think I'm entitled to mine, without being subjected to slander for expressing them!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote:

"nearly" getting Cox is meaningless, facts are that Thomas went into many games without a recognised ruckman, and that includes Kosi who IMHO would have thrived as a key forward in any team other than St Kilda.

Lyon's modus operandi at both St Kilda and Fremantle has been to work with existing players developed by his predecessors, and apart from the ever reliable but under-sized Max Hudghton (who he scorned in the 2009 GF) he did not have, nor recruit or develop, a big gun defender, at both clubs...unless you are referring to the hapless Dawson.

Roo is an elite player, and a phenomenal athlete - but on the big stage he far too often choked in front of goals, viz the 2009 and 2010 Grand Finals.

You are welcome to your opinions, and I like to think I'm entitled to mine, without being subjected to slander for expressing them!
Do you mean libel?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Rosco
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Round 5: Geelong - ES - WIN
This run looks a bit overly optimistic. 4 wins from those 6 would be a very good result.