How do you barrack?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kate
Club Player

How do you barrack?

The weather has turned warm and I am missing my footy.

I have noticed that people at the footy barrack in different ways. Some are analytical. Some do nothing but bag the whipping boy of the day. Some are one-eyed as all get out.

I am the one-eyed type. When I am at the game I am 100% St Kilda. I may get a bit vocal :oops: But if one of our guys stuffs up I'll let that though to the keeper. I never bag a player while I'm at the game, but I will open the other eye afterwards. I HATE supporters who bag our players and often have to bite my tongue. The perfect game environment for me would be a more engaged crowd that roars when we kick a goal and makes it uncomfortable for the opposition.

What type of barracker are you?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: How do you barrack?

I'm the analytical type.

At games i try to look at things objectively... if my favourite player at the Saints or the most hated scum of the opposition does something great or stuffs up, I call it as it.

Generally don't go into the realm of bagging but can be critical... never EVER direct things personally towards players. Gilbert is a player I've been very critical of over the last few seasons, when he does something good or has a great I cheer for him as loudly as anyone else.
Never utter phrases like " I hope he gets dropped" or "my heart sank when he was picked". My hope is that the player I personally rank as number 42 on our list proves me wrong and makes me look like an idiot.

My own personal style in terms focus centres on improving weakness rather than consolidating strength which many may consider equally or more effective. I judge players based on how they SHOULD be performing opposed to history and personal like/dislike. As a result, I'm likely perceived as overly harsh/critical but my perception of others is that they often let non-performance based attributes cloud their judgment.

Currently we are a middle of the range team at best and many on here would rank 12-15 on our list as very good, better than most players

Naturally the correct view is somewhere in between these extremes.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Bring back the animal enclosure. That was my kind of barracking.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:Bring back the animal enclosure. That was my kind of barracking.
+1

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Bring back the animal enclosure. That was my kind of barracking.
+1
+2

Standing room or bust!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I tend to be a little bit of all of the above.

I can get a little feral *blush*

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
+1
Agree.

Imagine how our good mate Goodesy would've gone running along the wing in front of the enclosure.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I know it will never happen, but they should bring back a small section of standing room. I miss the good old days and so many others do as well. You only have to see how many still stand up the back in the walkways at Etihad. Unfortunately in our nanny state, our lords and masters justify the lack of standing room because some international research supports the theory that sitting down at the Soccer in Britain and Europe reduces violence and crowd disturbances. Two things are wrong with that.

We don't play soccer, an inherently boring game where there is little to see for protracted periods. That creates boredom and frustration in the crowds and gives supporters plenty of opportunity to bait, abuse and eventually fight one another. Gang violence at the soccer over there is endemic, despite the best efforts of police and the authorities. It is a code specific problem. You only have to see how the local idiots at A-League games carry on. Our game gives you far less opportunity to get bored in the first place. Do you see supporters at the AFL, NRL, and Union carry on like the soccer crowds? No.

Secondly there is no evidence that standing at the AFL causes a rise in crowd violence. That's because it doesn't. So bite the bullet, Gil, and give us back our Animal Enclosure!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I know it will never happen, but they should bring back a small section of standing room. I miss the good old days and so many others do as well. You only have to see how many still stand up the back in the walkways at Etihad. Unfortunately in our nanny state, our lords and masters justify the lack of standing room because some international research supports the theory that sitting down at the Soccer in Britain and Europe reduces violence and crowd disturbances. Two things are wrong with that.

We don't play soccer, an inherently boring game where there is little to see for protracted periods. That creates boredom and frustration in the crowds and gives supporters plenty of opportunity to bait, abuse and eventually fight one another. Gang violence at the soccer over there is endemic, despite the best efforts of police and the authorities. It is a code specific problem. You only have to see how the local idiots at A-League games carry on. Our game gives you far less opportunity to get bored in the first place. Do you see supporters at the AFL, NRL, and Union carry on like the soccer crowds? No.

Secondly there is no evidence that standing at the AFL causes a rise in crowd violence. That's because it doesn't. So bite the bullet, Gil, and give us back our Animal Enclosure!
100% backed.

Would love there to be an aisle for standing room at Docklands. I believe Melbourne Victory supporters tried to petition for one, so that may have made it more unlikely to happen :(

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
markmark
Club Player

Bloody barrack with full voice, it's catchy and people will join in.Thats how a lot of other clubs increased their membership.
Dress up do something differant, we need to get people on board for this exciting time in front of us.

Bring it on
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'm usually start pretty analytically particularly as we have been rebuilding so I've been holding the reigns in on my match day expectations and just enjoying seeing things developing and thinking years in advance rather than just winning that game on the day. I even sometimes wish were being more experimental that would leave us with less wins and another chance to draft an elite kid in the top 6.

But...by half time the beers have kicked in, then its on like donkey kong and nothing matters but winning that game on the day, there and then and I start shouting and carrying on like a pork chop. Always a great feeling when we win and the theme song plays.

I will be a bit critical on players to people I'm with - with a spirit of honesty about what we need to do to win another flag which are damn hard to get. You've got to sort the wheat from the chaff and make some hard decisions. But I wouldn't yell out bagging our own player - I never see the point of that. That seems very attention seeking from those that do that.

I usually join in on the "St Kilda bang bang bang {stamping feet] ST kilda...." chant. I struggle to get my timing right on that marching in thing at the start. One day I'll get it. I love standing up after we kick a goal and pumping the air. I feel I've got a good balance of heart and head as a supporter.