Lyin copies Richo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Lyin copies Richo

In our local WA Sunday paper there is an article on Lyin doing the leadership course at Harvard Business School, that Richo attended last season.

Lyon soaks up Harvard

................. the Dockers considered the trip an important investment in their senior coach, who is contracted until the end of 2020.
"Ross is a key person and it's just part of the ongoing process that we have with our key staff to ensure that they are challenging themselves and growing." Rosich said.
"This was partly Ross'idea. He's embraced it and he'll no doubt get a lot out of the course".

Oh he's a follower, is Ro$$. He followed Roos template for style of play that Roos introduced to Sydney to win the holy grail. Thought he could pinch that plan, take it to the Saints and cover himself with glory.......... alas he found out imitators rarely succeed.

He must have noted that Richo has had success getting Saints off the bottom rungs of the ladder, Lyin must have thought, follow his example and go to Harvard and get Freo to rise again.

Do we see Lyin heading off to an ashram, next pre-season, sitting cross-legged on the floor eating mung beans?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyin copies Richo

Imitators never succeed. Unfortunately for us, Toss Lyin' has never had an original thought in his life. Cost us at least one flag. All the charm of a suburban caravan park, has our Ross.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Imitators never succeed. Unfortunately for us, Toss Lyin' has never had an original thought in his life. Cost us at least one flag. All the charm of a suburban caravan park, has our Ross.

Hate to keep typing it but plus 1.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

People do this stuff cos its a tax write off !
Also looks good on the C.V.

In red white and black from 73
saynta
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:People do this stuff cos its a tax write off !
Also looks good on the C.V.

LYIN'S CV will look like s*** untill he wins the big one and that aint about to happen anytime soon.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Was there an ethics component?

The problem with management ideology is that it is next to useless in the real world.

The assumptions and frameworks that managerial thinking and training are based on are flawed. It also promotes conformity and groupthink and stifles genuine creativity and risk taking. How can you achieve radical breakthrough results by doing what everyone else is doing?

It's the language of the idiot class who are unaware that there is no difference between “pseudointellectual” and “intellectual”.

Most successful people, and by that I mean bona fide leaders who have built successful organisations from the ground up, have not even finished high school are are not constrained by such bullsh*t and dogma.

They both wasted their time and the club's money.

Management ideology has also a lot to answer for the problems we face but that's a seperate topic.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Clearly let anyone in.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

What SaintPav said...( I won't quote him, we can all read it) is quite insightful and well-put.
Richard Branson is one who didn't waste time with junk to include in his CV, his character and good heart permeated everything he did,
and the goodness shone through.
Ross Lyon- you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Was there an ethics component?

The problem with management ideology is that it is next to useless in the real world.

The assumptions and frameworks that managerial thinking and training are based on are flawed. It also promotes conformity and groupthink and stifles genuine creativity and risk taking. How can you achieve radical breakthrough results by doing what everyone else is doing?

It's the language of the idiot class who are unaware that there is no difference between “pseudointellectual” and “intellectual”.

Most successful people, and by that I mean bona fide leaders who have built successful organisations from the ground up, have not even finished high school are are not constrained by such bullsh*t and dogma.

Management ideology has also a lot to answer for the problems we face but that's a seperate topic.
there is a business ethics component in undertaking an MBA. he will most likely fail that subject.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Will you come and work with me? I'll put you on as an associate/consultant. That is the message delivered in as few words as possible. Permission to use it as a quote in my training. Credit and citing to be made, of course.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:

Will you come and work with me? I'll put you on as an associate/consultant. That is the message delivered in as few words as possible. Permission to use it as a quote in my training. Credit and citing to be made, of course.
Of course.

I think Nietzsche said it best in Twilight of the idols: 'I distrust all systematisers, and avoid them. The will to a system shows a lack of honesty'.

I'm in a job I'm very happy with but things change so can I take a rain check on your offer?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Of course. Opportunity always awaits.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

"Welcome to all the ambitious folk from overseas who are attending our Harvard Management course. Now Modern Management is all about delegation, giving up control to your underlings to let them develop and do things as they see fit rather than micro managing everything yourself...." *SLAM* "Er...did I just see Mr Lyon from Australia go running out the door screaming "Over my dead body"? Strange people Australians"

George27
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Of course.

I think Nietzsche said it best in Twilight of the idols: 'I distrust all systematisers, and avoid them. The will to a system shows a lack of honesty'.

I'm in a job I'm very happy with but things change so can I take a rain check on your offer?

A reference to Nietzsche , and on another thread today a number of references to the early exploits of Errol Flynn. I doubt that combo would get a run on any other fan forum. Geez I love this website !

loris
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Of course.

A reference to Nietzsche , and on another thread today a number of references to the early exploits of Errol Flynn. I doubt that combo would get a run on any other fan forum. Geez I love this website !
Yes Georgie boy it never ceases to amaze does it? I also wish The Bard would post more often than he/she does, it blows me away when he/she comes up with all the relevant Shakespearean quotes to posts on this site.

I don't know if our Saintsational Bard is male or female............ but it fits doesn't it? as there is some doubt whether it was Willie Shakespeare or Mrs Willie Shakespeare that churned out all those words.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'm visiting Boston at the moment - or as the locals call it, "Borrr-sten"

I was at Harvard yesterday having a peek but didn't see the great To$$bag anywhere.

This city is too nice for him, but the weather is like him - icy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Imitators never succeed. Unfortunately for us, Toss Lyin' has never had an original thought in his life. Cost us at least one flag. All the charm of a suburban caravan park, has our Ross.
Don't get it WW!
I don't post much here but read from time to time and like and agree with most of what you write, however I don't get the vitriol from you toward Ross.

Firstly I believe Ross was an innovator, Ross invented the forward press in pre-season 09 press and save for poor execution in front of goal in the first half of the 09 GF would have won it with that structure and strategy. Malthouse's sucessful revised structure in 2010 looked remarkably similar to our 09 format with subtle variation and more outside leg speed and was built on the back of recruiting Maxy and Ball. There is no doubt Ross made some mistakes at the saints such as Ball in the 09 GF and lack of development of young players.

I was seated at a table at a lunch function with Ross (about a year and a half after he left the saints) and thought I'd ask some questions as a saints supporter.
I thought he'd be a prickly character and have no time for a fan who knew little about the game, but I could not have been more wrong.
He answered my questions and agreed in hindsight he should have left Ball on more in the 2nd half in 09, he said at the time they were winning inside and felt they needed more run on the outside. I asked about Armo not being played more and he said Armo didn’t have the tank to play his game plan other than inside and at the time was behind Lenny & Ball. On Maxy not being selected he said Maxy was finished. On leaving the saints he said he had personal financial hardship and put the best interests of his family first due to dollars and tenure of employment.
Loved the saint’s players and felt deeply disappointed for them that they could not win a GF.

Lastly I have a son who is a young athlete in a very demanding sport (not AFL) who has spent time with Ross, he thinks Ross is extremely understanding and caring. He says he can understand why the players want to play for Ross. Lastly I was at a club function for Rooey's 300th and met his (Rooey) dad, Rooey's dad said Ross is a great man and had been in contact with his son with condolences through the loss of his sister and congratulations up to his 300th match.

If you want to look at a coach who should have won a flag or 3 I'd be rolling out the GT file. IN 04-05 GT had a breath taking team with Buckets, Harks, Burkey, Peckett all older but playing really good footy, Lenny, Spider, Hammel, G-Train, Penny, Maxy in their prime and Rooey, Dal, Ball, Kosy, Joey, Goose, Xman, Chips, Milney and a very young BJ all maturing with some of them reaching AA & star status already and a couple of real hard nut recruits like Guerra and Powell smashing bodies.

Give Ross the reins from 2003 and we may have won 3 or 4 flags.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Agreed, Joffa. I didn't have much to do directly with RL in my time. The few times I did meet him he was polite and respectful. This did hide a stubborn streak, as in he would listen, but ultimately do his own thing. That was his right as the man with whom the buck stopped. I have no doubt that if he'd had GT's list in 04-5, he would've saluted at least once. In the end it was a typical saints tragedy that if we'd had a combination of GT's charm and people skills and RL's tactical nous and discipline, we would've had the perfect coach.

It's easy to be polite and charming in social settings. It's a very different matter to hold your nerve when the pressure is on. For RL, the 2009 season and GF are classic examples of everything that was right and wrong with him. The season showed his tactics and ability to teach were second to none. Unfortunately he was imitating and the rest of the competition caught us on the line. Once they worked us out, he had nothing left in the bag. His ideas were not original, and eventually it showed. He's repeated this at the shockers. He's gone close, but will never take them, and most likely anyone else, to a flag. Lacks original thought and the ability to adapt. Nice enough bloke, smart too, but who unfortunately has the charm of a suburban caravan park. He is a follower, but a bloody good one at that. He is not an innovator. Never will be and that's why he'll never be a premiership coach.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:He is a follower, but a bloody good one at that. He is not an innovator. Never will be and that's why he'll never be a premiership coach.
In your opinion WW, what do you think about Richo? Is he an innovator or a follower? Will Richo be a premiership coach?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think Richo is the man. A good blend of people skills and tactical nous, plus he has a good team around him. Bains and the recruiting team have been outstanding over the last three years and are well set up to pounce at this year's draft and trade period. We are in very good hands. I don't know Richo at all, but my contacts tell me he is the real deal. The president and board are tracking well and Finnis is the best CEO we've ever had. The list is shaping nicely. We are a definite chance, maybe even this year.

As a club we've made plenty of mistakes in the past twelve years or so. We should've one at least two flags in that time, but have always come up just short, through a combination of bad luck and less than ideal management. The exciting thing for me is, they've learned from past mistakes. Even the decision to appoint Luke Beveridge as director of coaching showed they were on the right track. Pity we couldn't keep him. The only mystery is how Scott Watters got appointed ahead of Richo. Cost us two years, but may have been a blessing in disguise as he was a warning for the future and provided motivation to do our due diligence more thoroughly. And the trout replaced me! Solid move. Like Big Kev, when he was alive, I'm excited!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the replies WW. :D

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
No Holds Bard
Club Player

loris wrote: I also wish The Bard would post more often than he/she does, it blows me away when he/she comes up with all the relevant Shakespearean quotes to posts on this site.

I don't know if our Saintsational Bard is male or female............ but it fits doesn't it? as there is some doubt whether it was Willie Shakespeare or Mrs Willie Shakespeare that churned out all those words.
:oops:

A name? What is in a name? Shall I compare thy postings to a summer’s day?
Loris, by any other name, her posting would be as sublimely sweet.

Ye cat lovers appreciate this. Tabby or not tabby. Cat, is the question.
loris
Saintsational Legend

No Holds Bard wrote:
loris wrote: I also wish The Bard would post more often than he/she does, it blows me away when he/she comes up with all the relevant Shakespearean quotes to posts on this site.

Ah thy returneth dear Bard, mine heart doth pound so

Come, woo me, woo me; for now I am in a holiday humour, and like enough to consent.

I pray you, do not fall in love with me.
For I am falser than vows made in wine.

And to put it bluntly old fellow, I'll tire of one about whom it can be said.............. He doth nothing but talk of his horse :wink:

No Holds Bard
Club Player

loris wrote:
No Holds Bard wrote:

Ah thy returneth dear Bard, mine heart doth pound so

Come, woo me, woo me; for now I am in a holiday humour, and like enough to consent.

I pray you, do not fall in love with me.
For I am falser than vows made in wine.

And to put it bluntly old fellow, I'll tire of one about whom it can be said.............. He doth nothing but talk of his horse :wink:
:lol: A recourse! A recourse! My kingdom for a recourse! But then, the recourse of true love never did run smooth.

For alas (and for a lass :cry: ), I am one who loved not wisely, but too well. (And maybe not even too well?) Per chance, my love's more richer than my tongue. And yet, I will wear my heart upon my sleeve for daws to peck at. To mine own self............. be true.

Lord, what fools we mortals be!!! :oops:

Ye cat lovers appreciate this. Tabby or not tabby. Cat, is the question.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

This is why I love this site. I come for the news, but stay for the repartee!