Third man up gone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Third man up gone

What are you thoughts in this?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Third man up gone

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long, Holly.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
loris
Saintsational Legend

This may help you find where to Third Man has gone Goose Is King.......... try looking in the sewers of Vienna, follow the sound of the zimmer :wink:

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

As we have one of the the better ruckman in the comp and as we don't have a Blicavs type player I think the new rule suits us.
No need for Roo or Acres to go up. I think the ruckman will love being able to compete without getting jumped all over. I don't like the look of four rucks going for the same throw in so I'm all for it. The only negative I see is the third up often cleared the area

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I think our ruck stocks just went up in value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always loyal
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:This may help you find where to Third Man has gone Goose Is King.......... try looking in the sewers of Vienna, follow the sound of the zimmer :wink:

I guess if any of those actors were still alive, they may well need a Zimmer frame which would make some noise on those cobblestones.

But the sound from the original movie was a zither.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
st.rick
Club Player

I hated when a third player went up. I was talking about this with a friend a few months ago, and I suggested that they just have the rucks do the ruckwork.
It was starting to get a bit silly when umpires had to findout who the actual ruck was, and then paying soft frees. Also I believe more Rucks have been getting injuries because of this tactic not major ones but ones that would wear them down over the season.
Thats just my thoughts and very happy that its gone.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good.What's the point of having ruckman if they allow 3rd man up

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
loris
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
loris wrote:This may help you find where to Third Man has gone Goose Is King.......... try looking in the sewers of Vienna, follow the sound of the zimmer :wink:

I guess if any of those actors were still alive, they may well need a Zimmer frame which would make some noise on those cobblestones.

But the sound from the original movie was a zither.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can I blame the incorrect use of the 'zee' word on auto correct on my iPad, or a seniors moment? :oops:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Aren't we one of the best teams at employing this tactic?

Riewoldt and one other player (whose name escapes me) are both in the top 5 in the AFL for 3rd man up hit outs.

shrodes
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Aren't we one of the best teams at employing this tactic?

Riewoldt and one other player (whose name escapes me) are both in the top 5 in the AFL for 3rd man up hit outs.
Correct, we are one of the biggest users of third man up. Can't find the per-team stats now, but here's the player stats from 2016

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Good! Now they can introduce the 23rd man that is purely for two ruckmen to rotate on and off the bench which is not affected by the interchange cap.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

3rd man up was quite often used to clear congestion around the stoppage. I can see there being multiple stoppages in a row next year being unable to be cleared.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

More important now that we get Carlisle super fit for stints in the ruck because Bruce gets absolutely slaughtered in the hitouts and relied a lot on third man up support this season. Billy's value did just go up a bit. And GWS' premiership odds just got even shorter. Not many teams can compete in the air against Mumford and Lobb.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Saint_Ash wrote:3rd man up was quite often used to clear congestion around the stoppage. I can see there being multiple stoppages in a row next year being unable to be cleared.
AFL's belief is that the effect is negligible at best:
"We did analysis across 2015 and 2016 and, for the game's sake, there seems to be no discernable benefit to congestion, whether there was third man up or a contest between two ruckmen.

"The tactic was used offensively and defensively, and ended up in a null result. In terms of clearance rates and scores from stoppages it doesn't provide the benefit for the game that people thought it did."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/n ... tg22x.html

Champion Data came to the same conclusion:

Time will tell I suppose.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Well then time already has told us that there is no real difference. Great rule change then. If it makes no difference to congestion then let the art of ruck work remain and thrive.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure the club thinks Brucey got smashed as a relief ruckman?

AR was really happy with his ability to compete, but particularly his follow up and ability around the ground. It also freed him up to get a few easy kicks if his defender is on top of him. As we saw with Boyd, influence around the ground can be as important as hit out ability. In fact it was Bruce in the ruck in the dying seconds that won us one game

Don't always buy into popular myth

The bigger concern is that of Bruce going out of the fwd structure. However, with Roo, Acres and also Hickey being able to catch the ball forward, we are one of the few teams who can cover a key being out of the fwd structure. We also can go small, like the dogs, with a bevy of mediums, smalls who can be employed fwd of the ball.

And Yes Carlisle can also pinch hit.

What I can assure you is that you won't see a ruck pairing of two straight out ruckmen at the saints, unless one is actually picked as a forward. The Game Plan needs 4 players on the bench able to rotate to give pressure players a rest.

And

Be surprised if Billy Longer ever plays a senior game again. His around the ground ability is just too poor, but moreso his lack of running ability means he cannot apply necessary defensive cover or pressure.

He comes last in running by a ridiculous margin, he is 6'7" and can't catch it. He is basically a depth player, and is behind Holmes and Pierce right now. Unless he magically transforms, not sure his worth?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
BigMart wrote:Aren't we one of the best teams at employing this tactic?

Correct, we are one of the biggest users of third man up. Can't find the per-team stats now, but here's the player stats from 2016
My observations were that we used it quite a lot but I don't think we gained much from it. Roo usually hit it to the opposition...probably because they knew he'd go up and just swing with the right hand and predict where the ball would go. Our best clearance work was when Hickey tapped it to Steven or Joey. No third up involved.
Geelong are screwed as a result of this rule as their ruck stocks aren't that great. GWS with Mumford and Melbourne with Gawn are laughing!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Be surprised if Billy Longer ever plays a senior game again. His around the ground ability is just too poor, but moreso his lack of running ability means he cannot apply necessary defensive cover or pressure.

He comes last in running by a ridiculous margin, he is 6'7" and can't catch it. He is basically a depth player, and is behind Holmes and Pierce right now. Unless he magically transforms, not sure his worth?
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... A&fopt2=22

Stian
Club Player

So, maybe this increases the value of Jason Holmes. He is mobile and a good tap ruckman, which seems to be all that is needed under the new rule.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote:So, maybe this increases the value of Jason Holmes. He is mobile and a good tap ruckman, which seems to be all that is needed under the new rule.
He also can't take a mark or get a kick. I don't think the new rule will make that much difference.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Stian
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
Stian wrote:So, maybe this increases the value of Jason Holmes. He is mobile and a good tap ruckman, which seems to be all that is needed under the new rule.
He also can't take a mark or get a kick. I don't think the new rule will make that much difference.

hmmmm.OK. :lol: :lol: