Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Paddy

Leo.J wrote:He didn’t get concussed or injured.

He didn’t set the world on fire, but considering the ordinary delivery and how scrappy the game was it’s not surprising.

The other young inexperienced key forward for the opposition had close to identical stats.

We won... moving on to rd.2.

Paddy has played 22 injury interrupted games in an average side with below average delivery.

At the end of this season hopefully he’s played 43 games (maybe more with finals) then we’ll reassess.
Too much common sense, warriors don't want to hear that, they'd rather bag our club, players and coaching staff!!!!!

All jokes aside, great post Leo, interested in become the Aussie Test Skipper at all?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SMS wrote:Petracca BOG so far looming like a star a modern day footballer with bball skill like dusty martin is able to bounce the ball to himself and kick long with skill.

f*** YOU YOU f****** STUPID c*** f****** RECRUITERS

f*** f*** f***

PADDY WONT BE IN THW AFL SYSTEM by 2021. Hes fat diabetic and concussed. Worst decision ever and has cost us a flag and given multiple to melbourne. We are a joke.
This is the worst post of 2018. Nearly up there with Steele's broken fibula and is out for the year post.

Travel down to Moorabbin on Tuesday and call Paddy a fat diabetic over the fence. I dare you SMS.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Face it. We panicked on Paddy because of the Boyd contract. This is a fact.
Linton Lodger is illogical and prefers logical fallacy such as ad hominem.

elvis lives
Club Player

Without getting emotional, would someone care to outline Paddy’s attributes?

The one thing you would think we’d be banking on would be his hands. He may be slow, unfit and only
able to run in straight lines, but surely the recruiters would have banked on the ‘clunk’. On the basis of three years of exposed form, for every marking contest he gets to, he takes it on the first grab maybe once every 7 attempts. Even when he is in the clear he is prone to spilling it or taking it on the third attempt. ‘Clunks’ are very very rare

If he he can’t mark, what the hell can he do?

I am marching in the Saints army
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Good post BFUSA. Too many posts and pages to find it again to quote.

The only person who had less game time than Paddy yesterday (69% TOG) was Hunter (62%). That was pretty obvious if you were at the ground - we changed up our forward line a number of times. I reckon we’ll be doing that for a while in the post-Roo universe until we work out what works best most of the time.

If the issue is that Paddy can never get to 85% plus TOG then I’m happy to admit defeat.

But it’s round 1, he’s barely played for the better part of a season and he has to start somewhere. Round 1 against Brisbane was perfect for that. He must play next week against North.

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Paddy

Double post sorry
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Sun 25 Mar 2018 5:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always loyal
takeaway
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Face it. We panicked on Paddy because of the Boyd contract. This is a fact.

There's a lot of Trump facts on this forum. Another one.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Face it. We panicked on Paddy because of the Boyd contract. This is a fact.
Face it. To say we "panicked" is completely untrue. It was simply a choice. Clearly one you disagree with, but the histrionics are laughable. This is a fact.
Con Gorozidis wrote:Linton Lodger is illogical and prefers logical fallacy such as ad hominem.
:D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
stonecold
SS Life Member

Petracca BOG, PIGSARSE, just hangs out the back, gets the Goal Goggles on and forgets to be a teamman!

Paddy Whackers, f*** off!!!!!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Petracca BOG, PIGSARSE, just hangs out the back, gets the Goal Goggles on and forgets to be a teamman!

OK LF, AFL brings in mid season trading and Melbourne offer a direct trade Petracca for Paddy.
Yes or No?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Keep Paddy.

Melbourne lost again today, we won yesterday and I much prefer our balanced, even list thanks. Petracca is a Dee and good luck to him and to them.

Maybe it will take Paddy half a season to find his feet. Great. That just means we won't have to break the bank to keep him, and when he does come good we'll have a Lachie Whitfield or Rory Sloane in the side and we'll be ready to challenge.

I, for one, would like to see Marshall come in next week, and maybe Coffield too on Good Friday. Development year - no worries. Goddard in soon when he's ready to try him in the FB possie; great!

Happy that AR didn't select some of the more senior, experienced players against the Lions. Gave some of the younger guys an opportunity to grab their chances.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Petracca BOG so far looming like a star a modern day footballer with bball skill like dusty martin is able to bounce the ball to himself and kick long with skill.

f*** f*** f***

PADDY WONT BE IN THW AFL SYSTEM by 2021. Hes fat diabetic and concussed. Worst decision ever and has cost us a flag and given multiple to melbourne. We are a joke.

You are the joke mate. Go support the Dees if you are so in love with Petracca

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:

f*** f*** f***

You are the joke mate. Go support the Dees if you are so in love with Petracca
This!!!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote:
stonecold wrote:Petracca BOG, PIGSARSE, just hangs out the back, gets the Goal Goggles on and forgets to be a teamman!

OK LF, AFL brings in mid season trading and Melbourne offer a direct trade Petracca for Paddy.
Yes or No?
No Jaffa!!!!!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BackFromUSA wrote:OK I am going to weigh in here and put another perspective on things.

Our game plan has changed and roles have changed.

When we have 3 tall forwards we are looking to transition through the wings and corridor and kick OVER the half forward line to forwards with space ahead of them within 50m and NOT to the pockets but to the dangerous hot spot.

To do this the tall half forward has to get up the ground and leave a vacuum of space behind them. They essentially act as decoy targets.

This leaves the half forward line empty and takes away lots of opposition rebound from half back and pushes their rebound plays deeper and allows us to defend any rebound closer to our goal.

The half forward have to act as wingers and be part of the transition team into the forward 50 by using their marking, running and feet.

Billings game was very good - 25+ possessions as a transition forward with 5 scores and 3 score involvements shows that he played his role. 4.1 would have given him Brownlow votes. Instead 2.3 +3 gives him something to improve upon.

Then in a 2 tall forward set up when Longer is resting and Bruce is rucking - McCartin plays a more traditional CHF role looking to roam flanks and hit the hot spot. Whilst the full forward starts up and works around CHF.

His willingness to act as decoy and open up space behind him for 80% of his time on ground is VERY important to the game plan. To get possessions in this role he needs to get the ball up near the wings and get it to runners who can take it deep beyond into the forward 50.

I would mark McCrtins game a 6 out of 10 yesterday for playing his role and could have been higher if he had taken easy marks that he dropped and if he had given the ball off quicker.

As a big fella he is still 2 years from reaching his potential to dominate.

Handy role player for now.
I see you also watched the game, don't know what many others here watched. Perhaps they went to the Sandy game by mistake? You're spot on BFUSA including your assessment of Paddy's game. I would like to see Paddy played close to goal though, surely Membrey and Bruce are also quite capable of playing the role Paddy played.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I second that, Petracca may evolve into a gun, but at the moment he is substantially overrated, particularly here. Also, he's played twice as many (yep double) the amount of games Paddy has played and he's pretty much played them in succession. Then finally he is playing a far easier position than Paddy.

Stonecold is right, he does love to hang out the back.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:OK I am going to weigh in here and put another perspective on things.

Our game plan has changed and roles have changed.

When we have 3 tall forwards we are looking to transition through the wings and corridor and kick OVER the half forward line to forwards with space ahead of them within 50m and NOT to the pockets but to the dangerous hot spot.

To do this the tall half forward has to get up the ground and leave a vacuum of space behind them. They essentially act as decoy targets.

This leaves the half forward line empty and takes away lots of opposition rebound from half back and pushes their rebound plays deeper and allows us to defend any rebound closer to our goal.

The half forward have to act as wingers and be part of the transition team into the forward 50 by using their marking, running and feet.

Billings game was very good - 25+ possessions as a transition forward with 5 scores and 3 score involvements shows that he played his role. 4.1 would have given him Brownlow votes. Instead 2.3 +3 gives him something to improve upon.

Then in a 2 tall forward set up when Longer is resting and Bruce is rucking - McCartin plays a more traditional CHF role looking to roam flanks and hit the hot spot. Whilst the full forward starts up and works around CHF.

His willingness to act as decoy and open up space behind him for 80% of his time on ground is VERY important to the game plan. To get possessions in this role he needs to get the ball up near the wings and get it to runners who can take it deep beyond into the forward 50.

I would mark McCrtins game a 6 out of 10 yesterday for playing his role and could have been higher if he had taken easy marks that he dropped and if he had given the ball off quicker.

As a big fella he is still 2 years from reaching his potential to dominate.

Handy role player for now.
I see you also watched the game, don't know what many others here watched. Perhaps they went to the Sandy game by mistake? You're spot on BFUSA including your assessment of Paddy's game. I would like to see Paddy played close to goal though, surely Membrey and Bruce are also quite capable of playing the role Paddy played.
Both are. And will. At the moment I think they like Membrey deeper and after Bruce rucks they need to play him deeper so he can refuel.

Personally I think Paddy is a clever lead and hit up forward like Josh Kennedy (West Coast) and a better overhead mark but this type of forward gets a battering and I think they are protecting young Paddy because of his injury history.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

f*** f*** f***

Go get yourself a Melbourne membership and adore The Trac if you like. If they couldn't beat Geelong today, no Dangerfield, Harry Taylor injured early and then Selwood injured in the third (and no Scott Selwood), then they never will. There'll be no need for you to keep September clear. They're rockstars, they sacrificed Jack Watts as a scapegoat for their culture (oooh that training camp is going to be too hard) and he's going to make fools of them.

I'm not a gambling man, but I see that Brisbane's odds are at $3.00 for next weeks game, could be worth a flutter.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Didn't SMS say Acres was no good? Think it was him...

However the paddy petracca argument is a no brainer unfortunately. Want paddy to be better dearly, however on paper it was and still is a shocking decision. Not one thing to suggest otherwise in four years yet

Bring back the Lockett era
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Ive refrained from entering the Paddy v Petracca debate until now.

I know he may have only played 20 odd games, but his marking and goal kicking are below par considering that is what we recruited him for. Whilst I think his ability to hold onto marks should improve with confidence, I am less confident about his goal kicking - which along with his ability to take a grab, are really the only 2 attributes we supposedly drafted him for. We certainly didnt draft him for his lack of athleticism or endurance. Given that he is also short for a modern day full forward, the decision to draft him was a mistake. My recollection of the talk at the time was that it was close , but Petracca was the favourite to go #1.

I for one, hope we go hard for Tom Lynch (GC) because together with Membrey and either Bruce or Battle , we would have a potential top premiership tall forward structure in 2020.
IF we can bundle up Paddy with a Longer or Hickey and somehow snag a top 10 draft pick I would take it and run.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Paddy played like a man who is lacking confidence. He appeared tentative. It may be subconscious, a nagging doubt that the next head injury could end his career. He certainly appeared to hit packs harder and more fearlessly in his first two years than he did last year and in the few games we've seen this year. Reminds me of Kosi, post Giansirasniper.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Zed wrote:Ive refrained from entering the Paddy v Petracca debate until now.

I know he may have only played 20 odd games, but his marking and goal kicking are below par considering that is what we recruited him for. Whilst I think his ability to hold onto marks should improve with confidence, I am less confident about his goal kicking - which along with his ability to take a grab, are really the only 2 attributes we supposedly drafted him for. We certainly didnt draft him for his lack of athleticism or endurance. Given that he is also short for a modern day full forward, the decision to draft him was a mistake. My recollection of the talk at the time was that it was close , but Petracca was the favourite to go #1.

I for one, hope we go hard for Tom Lynch (GC) because together with Membrey and either Bruce or Battle , we would have a potential top premiership tall forward structure in 2020.
IF we can bundle up Paddy with a Longer or Hickey and somehow snag a top 10 draft pick I would take it and run.
I like your thinking about the trade, Zed, but the bad news is we've offered up both Longer and Hickey for trade in the past two years and there was only one expression of interest. Neither has the form, at this stage to excite interest. Hopefully that may change, but I doubt it. As for Paddy, I doubt at this point anyone would offer adequate compensation for a former number one pick.

If we think we can get a top ten pick for any combination or number of the three, we're dreamin'. Nobody wants three players another club has tried and found superfluous to needs. IMHO, our ruck stocks are a far bigger worry than Paddy, or our supposed lack of pace.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
darylcowie
Club Player

silverhalo wrote:I'm calling it now that Paddy won't make the grade at this level. I don't know what people saw in him to have him as a potential number 1 pick because I don't see anything that warranted him being picked up at 1; I wouldn't even take him as a third round selection.

Too slow, not a great mark, average kick, no awareness......what are people seeing that I cannot?? I remember looking at footage of him before the draft and thinking there's nothing special there.

Paddy seems like a really nice kid and I hope to God that I'm wrong but I am really worried.
I agree with most of this post, but when he was playing TAC he was clunking everything and busting packs open. Now he seems to lack hunger or confidence in going for marks due to multiple concussions.

I watched him closely in the warm up yesterday and he has added some size up top which makes him look like a beast and yet he played like a lamb with no aggression at the contest.

If he doesn't mark it he is stuffed which is probably why Richo played him up the ground as a target rather than risk him being run off if the ball spilled at full forward.

Here's a thought. Given that Billings Gresham and even Long looked dangerous yesterday, why not play him at full forward to force the ball to ground for these guys?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

darylcowie wrote:
silverhalo wrote:I'm calling it now that Paddy won't make the grade at this level. I don't know what people saw in him to have him as a potential number 1 pick because I don't see anything that warranted him being picked up at 1; I wouldn't even take him as a third round selection.

Too slow, not a great mark, average kick, no awareness......what are people seeing that I cannot?? I remember looking at footage of him before the draft and thinking there's nothing special there.

Paddy seems like a really nice kid and I hope to God that I'm wrong but I am really worried.
I agree with most of this post, but when he was playing TAC he was clunking everything and busting packs open. Now he seems to lack hunger or confidence in going for marks due to multiple concussions.

I watched him closely in the warm up yesterday and he has added some size up top which makes him look like a beast and yet he played like a lamb with no aggression at the contest.

If he doesn't mark it he is stuffed which is probably why Richo played him up the ground as a target rather than risk him being run off if the ball spilled at full forward.

Here's a thought. Given that Billings Gresham and even Long looked dangerous yesterday, why not play him at full forward to force the ball to ground for these guys?

What then do we do with Bruce & Membrey?

Both Bruce & Membrey were picked up cheaply and are superior to Paddy McBeef.

This is a problem for Paddy's development and it's not going to go away.

Perhaps Paddy should be traded to some team needing a bulky forward target.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

More like Dunning-Kruger effect.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.