Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy

Shaggy wrote:Paddy's marking is elite. Needs to match game day with training. Important he starts to have games continuity for confidence and stamina
Who says it's 'elite'?
Based on what evidence?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jack Watts is at least tall and fast.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Richo in his press conference confirmed how Tony Elshaug was the driver behind Paddy’s recruitment. Paddy is selfless.

What was said and when? Was this at his match day presser?

#1 Ryder fan
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I dearly hope Paddy makes it but he's a long, long way off right now. It's going to hurt seeing Petracca start to dominate from this season onward. I know it's a pointless, painful hypothetical but imagine if we had taken Petracca and then landed Lynch this year. There's no way we'd miss finals in 2019 lining up like this...

B: Webster, Brown, Geary
HB: Savage, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Sinclair, Steele, Acres
HF: Billings, Lynch, Petracca
F: Gresham, Bruce, Membrey

Foll: Longer, Steven, Ross
Int: Clark, Coffield, Dunstan, Newnes

That would be one of the most deadly half forward lines ever assembled.
What’s the obsession with 3 key forwards? It’s not where the game is going.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

This is a bit depressing.

I still think we need to persist with him for a while, I think he can play.

Only his 23rd game yesterday and he has already taken 9 or 10 marks a few times in AFL matches.

Yesterday was a pretty difficult day for key forwards, Hipwood looked just as poor as Paddy and he can play too.

A few goals in a game could give him some huge confidence, that ugly one he gave away yesterday screamed of a bloke who is lacking confidence.

Persist.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Richo in his press conference confirmed how Tony Elshaug was the driver behind Paddy’s recruitment. Paddy is selfless.

What was said and when? Was this at his match day presser?
Yes.

He didn’t go back to kick it because he’s selfless and that was a trait that Elshaug was pushing when he was promoting the case to take him at no 1.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint64
Club Player

If he was a pick 50 he wouldn’t be getting a game. Cam Shenton actually showed more as a key forward. I would give him the game against North, but if he still shows nothing - back to the VFL. We can persist with him there. Get games into Battle.

aaron82
Club Player

I’ll reserve judgement on Paddy. He has been underwhelming mainly due to concussion issues. The Hawks game in Launceston stands out for me in his 2nd year. The ability is there, looks fit during the week but for some reason on game day he looks like the Michelin Man.

Wasn’t great yesterday at all but important contest late in the third quarter when he was out of position but was able to create a contest bringing it to ground for Steven to run onto. He needs to string a patch of games together and his confidence will rise. Lois a mile off a number 1 pick right now but be patient.

and that's the bottom line
saint6709
Club Player

silverhalo wrote:I'm calling it now that Paddy won't make the grade at this level. I don't know what people saw in him to have him as a potential number 1 pick because I don't see anything that warranted him being picked up at 1; I wouldn't even take him as a third round selection.

Too slow, not a great mark, average kick, no awareness......what are people seeing that I cannot?? I remember looking at footage of him before the draft and thinking there's nothing special there.

Paddy seems like a really nice kid and I hope to God that I'm wrong but I am really worried.
I'm sorry to be saying this and I'm sure he's a great kid but I'm starting to get annoyed watching him play - we were 2 men short yesterday ( I won't get started on Longer here) The club clearly needs to persevere with Mcarten he was a number 1 pick - but I would give him a year out of footy ( I know this won't happen) he needs to hit the gym, learn how to run and get some intensity about his movement - the team can't carry him I don't think - give someone else an opportunity and let Mcarten go back and learn the basics of fitness and movement

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hipwood is a year younger and already has 50% more career goals than Paddy.
And I think Hipwood started down back.
Let's face the facts.
Part of the reason Paddy gets concussion is his lack of awareness and lack of athleticism.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote:If he was a pick 50 he wouldn’t be getting a game.
Has to be some merit in this view. Seems like he’s getting a game because the club/selectors hope that he’ll somehow bloom into a decent player. Not because he’s genuinely earned a spot. Marshall looks more threatening as a forward than Paddy.

portosaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hipwood is a year younger and already has 50% more career goals than Paddy.
Let's face the facts.
Part of the reason Paddy gets concussion is his lack of awareness and lack of athleticism.
Hard to argue. Mind you... Eric has had a better and more consistent run, which definitely helps.

But even he looked hugely out of his depth yesterday, as agile and athletic as he is. Horrible day for big forwards. Especially young ones

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hipwood is a year younger and already has 50% more career goals than Paddy.
Let's face the facts.
They were both s*** yesterday and that was the point I was making.

Raph Goat Clarke
Club Player

Let's face the facts.

He has also played roughly 50% more games than paddy has and he's younger meaning those games have been in continuation

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Really needs his fitness to be absolutely elite, that will help the skills and mental side

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Raph Goat Clarke wrote:
Let's face the facts.

He has also played roughly 50% more games than paddy has and he's younger meaning those games have been in continuation
Actually he has kicked twice as many goals as Paddy.
I got the goals and games and mixed up.

Hipwood has 42 goals from 31 games.
So more goals per game and a year younger.

People can keep twisting and bending reality to make excuses but you just have to sit and watch Paddy play out there on the field to recognise he is in serious trouble and a long way off modern footy.

Maybe back in the days of leading up and mark players her would have been a gun but those days are gone. You need to have a ground game and be agile to survive.

He is royally stuffed.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 25 Mar 2018 12:26pm, edited 6 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote:
Let's face the facts.
Hard to argue. Mind you... Eric has had a better and more consistent run, which definitely helps.

But even he looked hugely out of his depth yesterday, as agile and athletic as he is. Horrible day for big forwards. Especially young ones
I was wrong.

Eric actually has twice as many goals as Paddy.

He is also a year younger and played in a horrible team who barely get it inside 50.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Let's face the facts.
Hipwood has also played 10 more career games (32) than Paddy and most of those in succession. Paddy has played 22 in fits and spurts (has he ever played 3 in a row?) and has probably only played a dozen or so full games.

Despite that Paddy, although quiet yesterday, still had a better game than Hipwood and definitely had more impact than Hipwood.

As for this: "Part of the reason Paddy gets concussion is his lack of awareness and lack of athleticism", what an inaccurate and idiotic statement.

Check the above video out, particularly 26 seconds in, where you'll see a contest where Paddy got concussed. Tell me that's lack of awareness or athleticism. I'd like to see Pork Chop Petracca do that!
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sun 25 Mar 2018 12:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

portosaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
portosaint wrote:
Let's face the facts.

I was wrong.

Eric actually has twice as many goals as Paddy.

He is also a year younger and played in a horrible team who barely get it inside 50.[/quote
I'm not disagreeing. Just saying that a lot can be said for getting a consistent run, and that Eric had just as bad a game as Paddy.

Oh, and we're pretty horrible too

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Raph Goat Clarke wrote:
Let's face the facts.

Actually he has kicked twice as many goals as Paddy.
I got the goals and games and mixed up.

Hipwood has 42 goals from 31 games.
So more goals per game and a year younger.

People can keep twisting and bending reality to make excuses but you just have to sit and watch Paddy play out there on the field to recognise he is in serious trouble and a long way off modern footy.

Maybe back in the days of leading up and mark players her would have been a gun but those days are gone. You need to have a ground game and be agile to survive.

He is royally stuffed.
So Hipwood is a superstar and McCartin is stuffed? only yesterday they both managed 7 touches and 1 goal.

When Paddy strung a decent number of games together (2016) his numbers are very similar to Hipwood (2017)

McCartin has taken more than 5 marks in 5 of his 23 matches… Hipwood hasn't managed that yet in 30.

He can play, I hope he gets a decent run at it this year… the goals will come.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Its Paddy whacking time again on here.

The damn kid is still developing and hasn't even played 50 games of footy yet. Yep, he didn't have a great game yesterday, but its exactly what he needs - bloody game time and some more! Its that simple.

He was also the No 1 pick, but who cares anymore. Just get on with it and give him game time. If Melbourne or the other 16 sides had pick 1 or 2 they all would have picked Paddy or Petrecca 4 years back or whenever it was. Every single club and recruiter had either Paddy or Petrecca at pick 1 and 2. Fact.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Let's face the facts.
I just remembered you were saying the same shite about billings less than a year ago…

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p1657267
Con Gorozidis wrote:Time to face the facts that Billings isnt going to be a star.
Might not even make it as an average player. < average at this stage and nothing has changed.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Let's face the facts.
I just remembered you were saying the same shite about billings less than a year ago…

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p1657267
Con Gorozidis wrote:Time to face the facts that Billings isnt going to be a star.
Might not even make it as an average player. < average at this stage and nothing has changed.
Shall we go back and review all my correct calls as well?
I called Acres as a gun before most.
Predicted Coffield and Clark before everyone. Etc etc.

Bookmark this one.

McCartin can't make it.
Not tall.
Not fit.
Slow.
Not that strong.
Immobile. No agility.
No ground game.
Average kick.
No awareness.

Rather than attack me perhaps outline the attributes that make you think McCartin can make it.

Besides blind hope and his draft pick number.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Its Paddy whacking time again on here.

The damn kid is still developing and hasn't even played 50 games of footy yet. Yep, he didn't have a great game yesterday, but its exactly what he needs - bloody game time and some more! Its that simple.

He was also the No 1 pick, but who cares anymore. Just get on with it and give him game time. If Melbourne or the other 16 sides had pick 1 or 2 they all would have picked Paddy or Petrecca 4 years back or whenever it was. Every single club and recruiter had either Paddy or Petrecca at pick 1 and 2. Fact.
It's not a fact at all. Complete crap.
Are you saying you know the draft rankings of the 18 clubs???
What u mean is it was a media consensus. And the media just copy each other.
The fact is we don't know what other recruiters really thought.
Whisper is many recruiters said Paddy wouldn't make it way back in 2014 after the draft.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Both teams played sh^t footy yesterday, and we won because we played slightly less sh^t footy. Paddy should be treated as new recruit as he hasn't really done anything apart from take a couple of strong marks against Hawthorn once, but he has now had a good pre season and is fit apparently, so he needs to earn his place like any other player, but he needs to get his skates on and realise he has talent, is a big forward and should play with authority, but if he is worried about further concussion issues, then he wont make that big step.