Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Paddy

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Let's face the facts.
I just remembered you were saying the same shite about billings less than a year ago…

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p1657267
Con Gorozidis wrote:Time to face the facts that Billings isnt going to be a star.
Might not even make it as an average player. < average at this stage and nothing has changed.
Shall we go back and review all my correct calls as well?
I called Acres as a gun before most.
Predicted Coffield and Clark before everyone. Etc etc.

Bookmark this one.

McCartin can't make it.
Not tall.
Not fit.
Slow.
Not that strong.
Immobile. No agility.
No ground game.
Average kick.
No awareness.

Rather than attack me perhaps outline the attributes that make you think McCartin can make it.

Besides blind hope and his draft pick number.
No, no, no you cannot extricate yourself from your ignorant predictions regarding Jack Billings, by more forcefully asserting your opinion on Paddy. Bookmark this, you are wrong.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Its Paddy whacking time again on here.

The damn kid is still developing and hasn't even played 50 games of footy yet. Yep, he didn't have a great game yesterday, but its exactly what he needs - bloody game time and some more! Its that simple.

He was also the No 1 pick, but who cares anymore. Just get on with it and give him game time. If Melbourne or the other 16 sides had pick 1 or 2 they all would have picked Paddy or Petrecca 4 years back or whenever it was. Every single club and recruiter had either Paddy or Petrecca at pick 1 and 2. Fact.
It's not a fact at all. Complete crap.
Are you saying you know the draft rankings of the 18 clubs???
What u mean is it was a media consensus. And the media just copy each other.
The fact is we don't know what other recruiters really thought.
Whisper is many recruiters said Paddy wouldn't make it way back in 2014 after the draft.
Is is fact. Trust me.

Every phantom draft basically had them two at either pick 1 or 2 also. These are serious people that watch these U/18 kids every week so I would trust their judgements.

Many recruiters said Paddy wouldn't make it back in 2014...are you for real?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.her ... 891eb22190

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
asiu
Saintsational Legend

agreed

"Persist"

its the only option still in play

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

The damn kid is still developing and hasn't even played 50 games of footy yet. Yep, he didn't have a great game yesterday, but its exactly what he needs - bloody game time and some more! Its that simple.

He was also the No 1 pick, but who cares anymore. Just get on with it and give him game time. If Melbourne or the other 16 sides had pick 1 or 2 they all would have picked Paddy or Petrecca 4 years back or whenever it was. Every single club and recruiter had either Paddy or Petrecca at pick 1 and 2. Fact.
Whisper is many recruiters said Paddy wouldn't make it way back in 2014 after the draft.
Is is fact. Trust me.

Every phantom draft basically had them two at either pick 1 or 2 also. These are serious people that watch these U/18 kids every week so I would trust their judgements.

Many did at the time.
No I won't trust you.
Your Pollyanna view on everything is beyond absurd.
If Paddy was pick 50 and being selected on merit he wouldn't get a game.
His draft highlights are bog average.

What are his supposed attributes?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
I just remembered you were saying the same shite about billings less than a year ago…

Con Gorozidis wrote:Time to face the facts that Billings isnt going to be a star.
Might not even make it as an average player. < average at this stage and nothing has changed.

Bookmark this one.

McCartin can't make it.
Not tall.
Not fit.
Slow.
Not that strong.
Immobile. No agility.
No ground game.
Average kick.
No awareness.

Rather than attack me perhaps outline the attributes that make you think McCartin can make it.

No, no, no you cannot extricate yourself from your ignorant predictions regarding Jack Billings, by more forcefully asserting your opinion on Paddy. Bookmark this, you are wrong.
Wrong on what?
How can you say I am wrong on Paddy?
Maybe I will be wrong .
But I'm not wrong now.
Do you know what cognitive dissonance is?
Based on the facts presented to us. Paddy looks very poor and miles off it.

What have you seen that I haven't?

And unlike everyone on here I was actually at that game v Hawthorn in Launie in 2016.

I came away from that game believing he was going to make it.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:

What! Now you're calling crap on undisputed fact. Everyone, absolutely everyone had Paddy and Petracca as the top 2, with Brayshaw as an outsider. In fact it was Paddy who was mainly touted as the No.1, Petracca came into the conversation late.
The fact is that any Club that didn't have good, long term key forwards, would have taken Paddy at No.1.

Melbourne would have still taken Petracca, because they already had Hogan. If we'd had Hogan or Riewoldt was 24 yo we would've taken Petracca. The fact is that aside from the ageing Roo, we had no good key forwards.

In that position it would have been insanity to take a mid sized forward who goes through the midfield at No.1. Sheer insanity. Also, before you respond with "well Richmond won a Premiership with a small forward line and that's the latest trend". Richmond's Premiership last year was one of the biggest flukes in AFL history and I'm confident they won't get anywhere near a repeat. If teams want to copy them, well I wish them luck with that.

Then you want to back your fanciful assertion about Paddy with unspecified 'whispers' you heard from who? Perhaps it was Collingwood, they had Pick 5? If we didn't take Paddy at No1, Melbourne wouldn't have taken him at 2 or 3 because they had Hogan, GWS wouldn't have at 4 because they had Cameron, Paton & McCarthy. Collingwood would have snared him in a heartbeat. So you're whispers were either voices in your head or if they existed mischief from Collingwood.

Back in 2004 some recruiters, Richmond's in particular, felt that Buddy Franklin would never be good enough to play an AFL game.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'll explain why my one post on Billings (I was probably angry after a loss) is irrelevant to Paddy.
My issue isn't actually with Paddy.
My argument is the game has changed so much that the role of the 'crash and bash' forward who 'clunks" pack marks is gone.
Same goes for crash and bash rucks like Mumford and Longer.
If you aren't mobile and good on the ground and can't tackle and harass you are a liability in today's footy.
It isn't even about Paddy and his ability.
I don't think there is a role for him in modern footy.
Hence he's cooked.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Some of you really support the 'Filth’ don't you!!!!!
Yes.

:)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

Bookmark this one.

McCartin can't make it.
Not tall.
Not fit.
Slow.
Not that strong.
Immobile. No agility.
No ground game.
Average kick.
No awareness.

To be honest - Billings still hasn't lived up to the hype yet either. He plays games like yesterday and we think he's on the cusp, but he still has a way to go. Still missing easy goals. On the plus side, he puts himself in position to kick easy or gettable goals. At least 6 players from that same draft who play similar positions or are similar size to Jack are currently rated higher than he is. 1) Josh Kelly 2) The Bont 3) Pat Cripps 4) Matt Crouch 5) Zac Merrett 6) Rory Laird. So the BEST prospect on our list is still 7th in his draft year despite being taken at #3. That's ok overall and means that Jack will be a very good player, but the frustration of supporters is starting to spill over. I can understand Con's frustration as I too am feeling it. We hear how good we're going to be and this player and that player is going to be a gun. Sometimes they become very good footballers, but we haven't had any outright GUNS since the 1st decade of this century.

The FACTS are that we haven't played finals since 2011. That most of us expected way more from our recruiting and drafting in the past 8 years and that we would be way better than what we are now. The FACTS are that our kids don't stack up against the best young players in the comp. The FACTS are, we don't have one player in the best 50 in the comp. If we were really heading in the right direction, BOTH Paddy and Billings would be in that list.

I will watch with interest after Rd 2 to see whether Steven can keep up this type of form, because history suggests that clubs put a tag on him as he's our only decent player and then no-one stands up and Jack can't handle a hard tag. The FACTS are we have been so dependent on Riewoldt to win us games that it has papered over the cracks of 3 average KP Fwds.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok.
I'll re-frame.
Paddy can make it but he needs to lose 5kg and get a hell of a lot fitter, leaner and stronger.
The club sending him out in that condition is not doing him any favours. They need to get real.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:

Bookmark this one.

McCartin can't make it.
Not tall.
Not fit.
Slow.
Not that strong.
Immobile. No agility.
No ground game.
Average kick.
No awareness.

To be honest - Billings still hasn't lived up to the hype yet either. He plays games like yesterday and we think he's on the cusp, but he still has a way to go. Still missing easy goals. On the plus side, he puts himself in position to kick easy or gettable goals. At least 6 players from that same draft who play similar positions or are similar size to Jack are currently rated higher than he is. 1) Josh Kelly 2) The Bont 3) Pat Cripps 4) Matt Crouch 5) Zac Merrett 6) Rory Laird. So the BEST prospect on our list is still 7th in his draft year despite being taken at #3. That's ok overall and means that Jack will be a very good player, but the frustration of supporters is starting to spill over. I can understand Con's frustration as I too am feeling it. We hear how good we're going to be and this player and that player is going to be a gun. Sometimes they become very good footballers, but we haven't had any outright GUNS since the 1st decade of this century.

The FACTS are that we haven't played finals since 2011. That most of us expected way more from our recruiting and drafting in the past 8 years and that we would be way better than what we are now. The FACTS are that our kids don't stack up against the best young players in the comp. The FACTS are, we don't have one player in the best 50 in the comp. If we were really heading in the right direction, BOTH Paddy and Billings would be in that list.

I will watch with interest after Rd 2 to see whether Steven can keep up this type of form, because history suggests that clubs put a tag on him as he's our only decent player and then no-one stands up and Jack can't handle a hard tag. The FACTS are we have been so dependent on Riewoldt to win us games that it has papered over the cracks of 3 average KP Fwds.
I can understand you putting Kelly ahead of Billings and Bontempelli (although I think Billings is closing and will go past him), but the rest give me a break. Cripps you could compare but the rest are nowhere near Billings. Billings still has a few more levels in him too.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

crouch and merret nowhere near billings? Wow!!!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:To be honest - Billings still hasn't lived up to the hype yet either. He plays games like yesterday and we think he's on the cusp, but he still has a way to go. Still missing easy goals. On the plus side, he puts himself in position to kick easy or gettable goals. At least 6 players from that same draft who play similar positions or are similar size to Jack are currently rated higher than he is. 1) Josh Kelly 2) The Bont 3) Pat Cripps 4) Matt Crouch 5) Zac Merrett 6) Rory Laird. So the BEST prospect on our list is still 7th in his draft year despite being taken at #3. That's ok overall and means that Jack will be a very good player, but the frustration of supporters is starting to spill over. I can understand Con's frustration as I too am feeling it. We hear how good we're going to be and this player and that player is going to be a gun. Sometimes they become very good footballers, but we haven't had any outright GUNS since the 1st decade of this century.

You're sounding a bit hysterical moods and you are caught in the trap of writing the word FACT in caps to try and legitimize what are mainly just opinions.

Billings just had an absolutely elite game and plays quite a different game to the others in your list… on the other hand you could say that Acres is looking better than at least a dozen players taken before him in the same draft. Billings is going better than 7 other top ten from his draft so obviously all clubs have misjudged the order to some degree, Kelly wasn't there at our pick and I would still take Billings over Merrett or Laird.

The top 50 players list you are referring to is one commentators end of year prediction of the best 50 players in the comp with absolutely no qualifying measurements, about as far away from a fact as you could possibly get. The only tall forwards in that list are players well over 25 years of age.

The only fact that I will agree with is us missing finals for the past 7 years but I would argue that this is more due to a decade of horrendous drafting from 2003 - 2012 than 2013 - now.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Is is fact. Trust me.

Many did at the time.
No I won't trust you.
Your Pollyanna view on everything is beyond absurd.
If Paddy was pick 50 and being selected on merit he wouldn't get a game.
His draft highlights are bog average.

What are his supposed attributes?
Just admit you made it up regarding whispers from recruiters that Paddy wouldn't make it. You really just made that up didn't you?

You base your opinion on an U/18 draftee from some highlight reels? Are you serious?

He has plenty of good attributes and he's still developing into a key forward role which is the hardest for any footballer.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Moods
Saintsational Legend

'Billings just had an absolutely elite game.'

Yes he did. To be elite though he needs to have about 7-8 of them this year, and another 7-8 where he contributes 2-3 goals with half as many possessions.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Moods wrote:To be honest - Billings still hasn't lived up to the hype yet either. He plays games like yesterday and we think he's on the cusp, but he still has a way to go. Still missing easy goals. On the plus side, he puts himself in position to kick easy or gettable goals. At least 6 players from that same draft who play similar positions or are similar size to Jack are currently rated higher than he is. 1) Josh Kelly 2) The Bont 3) Pat Cripps 4) Matt Crouch 5) Zac Merrett 6) Rory Laird. So the BEST prospect on our list is still 7th in his draft year despite being taken at #3. That's ok overall and means that Jack will be a very good player, but the frustration of supporters is starting to spill over. I can understand Con's frustration as I too am feeling it. We hear how good we're going to be and this player and that player is going to be a gun. Sometimes they become very good footballers, but we haven't had any outright GUNS since the 1st decade of this century.

You're sounding a bit hysterical moods and you are caught in the trap of writing the word FACT in caps to try and legitimize what are mainly just opinions.

Billings just had an absolutely elite game and plays quite a different game to the others in your list… on the other hand you could say that Acres is looking better than at least a dozen players taken before him in the same draft. Billings is going better than 7 other top ten from his draft so obviously all clubs have misjudged the order to some degree, Kelly wasn't there at our pick and I would still take Billings over Merrett or Laird.

The top 50 players list you are referring to is one commentators end of year prediction of the best 50 players in the comp with absolutely no qualifying measurements, about as far away from a fact as you could possibly get. The only tall forwards in that list are players well over 25 years of age.

The only fact that I will agree with is us missing finals for the past 7 years but I would argue that this is more due to a decade of horrendous drafting from 2003 - 2012 than 2013 - now.
So you think that our young players stack up against the best in the comp? Say against the Hawks last night. Sydney in recent years? The Dogs?

You seriously think right now, that we have any players in the top 50? Only a Saints supporter could hold that view.

You seriously think that right now - our 3 key fwds aren't just average KPP? I rate Members the highest out of the 3, but the sight of McCartin, Membery and Bruce on the team sheet is unlikely to keep coaches up during the week in an effort to combat same. Surely you jest?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I saw one of the trainers run out to Paddy straight after he kicked our first goal and there was some tampering with the patch that Paddy wears to guage whatever it is that needs monitoring. Is it that much of an issue that it perhaps impedes his preparation? Does it impede his recovery after every moment of exertion? Were they just taking the chance after a goal to check his blood levels? I mean didn't they check the levels pre-match? Why does a trainer have to run out and fiddle with it 5 minutes in to the match? If it is not a problem and it is easily managed, then is it simply a matter of a kid that needs to work a lot harder?

I thought he was off the ground for some rather long periods yesterday too. Our coach has mentioned several times and I heard it again yesterday pregame on radio when he spoke to Triple M that Paddy has not been able to get to an AFL level of fitness as quick as some other draftees because of his diabetes. When will Paddy stop using diabetes and when will the Saints coaches and drafting personnel stop using diabetes as an excuse?
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 25 Mar 2018 3:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
dragit wrote:

So you think that our young players stack up against the best in the comp? Say against the Hawks last night. Sydney in recent years? The Dogs?

You seriously think right now, that we have any players in the top 50? Only a Saints supporter could hold that view.

You seriously think that right now - our 3 key fwds aren't just average KPP? I rate Members the highest out of the 3, but the sight of McCartin, Membery and Bruce on the team sheet is unlikely to keep coaches up during the week in an effort to combat same. Surely you jest?
Hawthorn and the dogs both only have 1 player in your top 50 list - Tom Mitchell & Bont?

Who are all Hawthorns other young players that are better than Billings, Acres, Gresham, Steele?

Why are the dogs going to lose by 100 points today if they are stacked with young talent?

BTW - I haven't made any comment on where I rate our key forwards, I am only saying that at this stage I think McCartin is worth persisting with… a handful of 9 & 10 mark games inside his first 20 means he is no spud.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I gave up reading about page 4 and am prepared to be flamed for the follow response:

Lets ask Melbourne if they will swap - if they do - all is good - if not - BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT - Paddy is a Saint - until he gets cut - support him!!! [And hope that he is a late bloomer]

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
spiral3
Club Player

I desperately want Paddy to succeed for the Saints and believe he has some strong attributes
However, yesterdays outing was disappointing.
I was looking forward to seeing him leaner and fitter but he looked quite heavy and seemed to barely get out of a jog.
Body language and movement seemed that of someone very low on confidence. The indecision in front of goal and the succession of dropped marks and fumbles typified this.

Reminds me a lot of the Kosi scenario post concussion, similar style players with similar injury issues and inability to keep the ball inside fwd 50
Lack of endurance & agility is a big issue in today's style of football, it's too easy for the defenders with Paddy at the moment

Paddy needs to play a string of games and get his fitness and more importantly confidence up
whether that is VFL or AFL I don't think matters a lot, definitely needs AFL games but can get some confidence in VFL too

If he can build confidence then his strengths will come through, field kicking and decision making is very good for a big bloke, marking and aerial contest also very good
might also elevate his intensity if he has greater belief in himself and less fear of concussion
also, I don't believe he is undersized. I have seen him up close standing right next to Hugh Goddard (196cm) and there was little to no difference in size

as an aside - interesting view on Jack Steele from that 2014 pre draft HUN article - champion data ranking pre-draft
I would love to see some of this offensive side and elite kicking, impact has been pretty low so far aside from some good work by hand and tackling

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... b95bd85658

"14. JACK STEELE (188cm inside midfielder)
The No.1 ranked midfielder in the national carnival, averaging the most goals and score involvements. Recorded the third-best kicking rating of any player to average more than 20 disposals."

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

OK I am going to weigh in here and put another perspective on things.

Our game plan has changed and roles have changed.

When we have 3 tall forwards we are looking to transition through the wings and corridor and kick OVER the half forward line to forwards with space ahead of them within 50m and NOT to the pockets but to the dangerous hot spot.

To do this the tall half forward has to get up the ground and leave a vacuum of space behind them. They essentially act as decoy targets.

This leaves the half forward line empty and takes away lots of opposition rebound from half back and pushes their rebound plays deeper and allows us to defend any rebound closer to our goal.

The half forward have to act as wingers and be part of the transition team into the forward 50 by using their marking, running and feet.

Billings game was very good - 25+ possessions as a transition forward with 5 scores and 3 score involvements shows that he played his role. 4.1 would have given him Brownlow votes. Instead 2.3 +3 gives him something to improve upon.

Then in a 2 tall forward set up when Longer is resting and Bruce is rucking - McCartin plays a more traditional CHF role looking to roam flanks and hit the hot spot. Whilst the full forward starts up and works around CHF.

His willingness to act as decoy and open up space behind him for 80% of his time on ground is VERY important to the game plan. To get possessions in this role he needs to get the ball up near the wings and get it to runners who can take it deep beyond into the forward 50.

I would mark McCrtins game a 6 out of 10 yesterday for playing his role and could have been higher if he had taken easy marks that he dropped and if he had given the ball off quicker.

As a big fella he is still 2 years from reaching his potential to dominate.

Handy role player for now.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SMS
Club Player

Petracca BOG so far looming like a star a modern day footballer with bball skill like dusty martin is able to bounce the ball to himself and kick long with skill.

f*** YOU YOU f****** STUPID c*** f****** RECRUITERS

f*** f*** f***

PADDY WONT BE IN THW AFL SYSTEM by 2021. Hes fat diabetic and concussed. Worst decision ever and has cost us a flag and given multiple to melbourne. We are a joke.

<one week ban issued under this rule: ABUSING OR DEMEANING A SAINTS PLAYER, FAMILY OR OFFICIAL RULE

Commenting on the performance of a Saints player / official is allowed. In cases where posters abuse or demean a Saints player / official / or their family, OR casts dispersions on their character and it is deemed by the moderators to be unreasonably offensive and inflammatory, then the moderators (if all moderators agree) can issue a Saintsational warning, or in extreme cases a 1 week ban of the offending poster>

SMS
Club Player

Petracca BOG so far looming like a star a modern day footballer with bball skill like dusty martin is able to bounce the ball to himself and kick long with skill.

f*** YOU YOU f****** STUPID c*** f****** RECRUITERS

f*** f*** f***

PADDY WONT BE IN THW AFL SYSTEM by 2021. Hes fat diabetic and concussed. Worst decision ever and has cost us a flag and given multiple to melbourne. We are a joke.

saint64
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
Everyone, absolutely everyone had Paddy and Petracca as the top 2, with Brayshaw as an outsider. In fact it was Paddy who was mainly touted as the No.1, Petracca came into the conversation late.
My recollection of that is completely the opposite and I followed it at the time as much as most people. Petracca was talked about as the likely number one for weeks leading up to the draft. Paddy was the late conversation.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

He didn’t get concussed or injured.

He didn’t set the world on fire, but considering the ordinary delivery and how scrappy the game was it’s not surprising.

The other young inexperienced key forward for the opposition had close to identical stats.

We won... moving on to rd.2.

Paddy has played 22 injury interrupted games in an average side with below average delivery.

At the end of this season hopefully he’s played 43 games (maybe more with finals) then we’ll reassess.