Is it the coach or the players?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Is it the coach or the players?

Hi all,

Haven’t seen the game yet but it’s been interesting reading.

One thing that’s jumped out at me as of late is this growing sentiment on the forum that our players continue to bomb the ball forward contrary to the coach’s instruction.
And this has led to the other emerging concern about the control/respect the coach has amongst the playing group.

Most forumites agree that Richo appears to have the right idea in terms of vision, is a highly professional and respectable figure, and is turning over the list quite well.
But there are these lingering concerns about whether or not he actually can coach, whether he’s a good leader and whether he’s completely impartial.

It got me thinking about something... I wonder if we’re being too hard on him. I think about the 02-06 era of the club where we were a force to be reckoned with but still quite inconsistent at times. And whilst we gave it a good shake in that time, most would agree that the same core group of players in Hayes, Goddard, Dal, Ball, Milne, Fisher, Blake, Riewoldt, Kosi, Gwilt, Gilbert and Gram etc... well think about them in 09.

We were so much more of a dominant force despite arguably having a weaker team.

So my question is... are we actually expecting too much from this list at the moment? These guys in Dunstan, Billings, Paddy, Newnes, Acres, Webster, Clarke, Gresham, Membrey, Coffield, Steele, Sinclair... all less than 5 seasons into their careers...

And our best player... Jack Steven recruited way back around 09, Geary who was around before then and Ross who was recruited shortly after...

See the pattern

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is it the coach or the players?

skeptic wrote:
One thing that’s jumped out at me as of late is this growing sentiment on the forum that our players continue to bomb the ball forward contrary to the coach’s instruction.
I started a thread on this. And to my relief against the Lions we did keep not just bombing it in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Trump

Coaching is why hawthorns rebuild is complete, coach is the most important and influencial person at a football club.

Vazelos
Club Player

We missed the target on some recruiting otherwise we would be more advanced at this stage.
High picks for McKenzie, Mc Cartin, Goddard and others don’t seem to have hit their mark.
Sources have indicated Trout’s position won’t be renewed at end of year.
Let’s assess Richo at end of year but I have the belief we have built strong foundations in the lousy despite some average years in the draft and if we can nail a free agent or two we will take the next step as our list gets older.

KingSaint
Club Player

Trump wrote:Coaching is why hawthorns rebuild is complete, coach is the most important and influencial person at a football club.
You are kidding...yeah?

Hawthorns rebuild is complete? After a round one win over a soft Collingwood who still challenged them in the last quarter...still rely on Rioli...Issac Smith...Jarred Roughhead...Burgoyne...etc. Yes, Mitchell had a day out and O'Meara may still be a player...Hawthorn are still a quality side...but to suggest they have had a rebuild is nonsense. They may have a good year or two...but they still have to bottom out.

Trump

Nope not kidding, also well coached swans and geelong.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

It seems as though Geelong, Hawthorn, the swines and Adelaide never bottom out. Good coaching, recruiting and player development at play. They make a mockery of the theory that you need early draft picks to build a strong and sustainable list.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."