Selection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Selection

The big question the needs to ask it self is, want does it to get out of this season!!

They need to be honest and have honest conversation. We are not going to win the premiership. And it looks unlikely that we will make the finals. Therefore we need to think about blooding players and building cohesiveness among the playing group who will take us forward.

Here's a few points they should consder:

It was evident on the weekend that our skills must improve! Focus on this at training, & where to kick it & where to run.

I’d even think about throwing Billings onto a BF, get the ball into his hands. Let see him use those foot skills everyone talks about away from goal. Build his confidence then rest/send him forward.

Rotate a few younger players into the team, guarantee them of 3 or 4 games in a row.

Make some hard calls eg leave out Geary our Captain, Brown, Gilbert (maybe not all as we need some experience, but focus on development and skills)

Despite Brown playing a good defensive game, he demonstrated why he needs to go on the weekend. There were several opportunities for him to mark the ball, however decided to use the double fisted punch whilst under limited pressure. On at least 2 occasions this resulted in a goal.

Brandon White, Logan Austin, Shane Savage
Jimmy Webster, Jake Carlisle, Jack Billings
Jack Sinclair, Blake Acres, Nick Coffield,
Josh Battle, Tim Membrey, Maverick Weller
Jade Gresham, Paddy McCartin, Ben Long
Tom Hickey, Sebastian Ross, Jack Steven

I/C: Luke Dunstan, Jack Steele, Jack Newnes
and one of Hunter Clark, Ed Phillips, Rowan Marshall or Rice

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Selection

Sounds good. Particularly if posters on this forum don't go into meltdown after Melbourne wins by about 20 goals,

And I think there is more chance of one of us winning Tattslotto next week than that happening!

Saint supporter since '62
Saint wagga
Club Player

footynut wrote:The big question the needs to ask it self is, want does it to get out of this season!!

They need to be honest and have honest conversation. We are not going to win the premiership. And it looks unlikely that we will make the finals. Therefore we need to think about blooding players and building cohesiveness among the playing group who will take us forward.

It was evident on the weekend that our skills must improve! Focus on this at training, & where to kick it & where to run.

I’d even think about throwing Billings onto a BF, get the ball into his hands. Let see him use those foot skills everyone talks about away from goal. Build his confidence then rest/send him forward.

Rotate a few younger players into the team, guarantee them of 3 or 4 games in a row.

Make some hard calls eg leave out Geary our Captain, Brown, Gilbert (maybe not all as we need some experience, but focus on development and skills)

Despite Brown playing a good defensive game, he demonstrated why he needs to go on the weekend. There were several opportunities for him to mark the ball, however decided to use the double fisted punch whilst under limited pressure. On at least 2 occasions this resulted in a goal.

Like the look of that team a lot! And the general sentiment of the post

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

What was the line up for the third quarter of the JLT pre season game. Melbourne couldn't handle that one.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:
footynut wrote:The big question the needs to ask it self is, want does it to get out of this season!!

Like the look of that team a lot! And the general sentiment of the post
One change Weller out and Clark in

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Selection?

People want Gresh and Billings out, saying they aren't doing enough. Ok then, stick them in the middle from the get go. Then they won't have any excuses for not doing enough.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Changes? Straight swap I reckon.

Out: Con G (managed).
In: Billy Longer.

That way, Saintsational will still get to play one man short.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Selection?

People want Gresh and Billings out, saying they aren't doing enough. Ok then, stick them in the middle from the get go. Then they won't have any excuses for not doing enough.
they don't have any excuses now. why make it worse?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stonecold
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:Changes? Straight swap I reckon.

Funny f*** Dave, just what we need, bit of humour, also funny how no-one has really commented how BigBoy smashed Tom!!!!!

Just out of interest, when was the last time St.Kilda won a game with Tom playing 1st Ruck?????

Tom gets a bit of footy around the ground sure, but as he showed on Saturday night, has no defensive side to his game and provides zero physical presence!!!!!

Bill provides defensive side and physical presence, but not enough attacking side and ball getting ability!!!!!

Perhaps we could interbreed (racing terms) the two and come up with a decent ruck!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

Funny f*** Dave, just what we need, bit of humour, also funny how no-one has really commented how BigBoy smashed Tom!!!!!

Just out of interest, when was the last time St.Kilda won a game with Tom playing 1st Ruck?????

Tom gets a bit of footy around the ground sure, but as he showed on Saturday night, has no defensive side to his game and provides zero physical presence!!!!!

Bill provides defensive side and physical presence, but not enough attacking side and ball getting ability!!!!!

Perhaps we could interbreed (racing terms) the two and come up with a decent ruck!!!!!
Agree LF, at 27 Hickey will never develop the physicality or body mass required to be a force at AFL level.
Billy will never have the appropriate skills to be an AFL player other than at a club like GWS where their mids will cover his skill inadequacy.

Both cost plenty and are a bust in my opinion and we should trade if anyone would take them.

Much more long term upside in Marshall and we need a back up for him.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Yes Jaffa, at this point, both are the answer, however neither is!!!!!

Marshall needs time and play second fiddle!!!!!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote:Marshall needs time and play second fiddle!!!!!
I still think Marshall should be developed as a key forward who can chop out in the ruck for 30% game time.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:

Knowing our luck we would end up with a ruckman who....

Has no defensive side
No physical impact
No attacking side
and
No ball getting ability.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
stonecold
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:
stonecold wrote:Marshall needs time and play second fiddle!!!!!
I still think Marshall should be developed as a key forward who can chop out in the ruck for 30% game time.
Yes, I agree, he is not a genuine ruck at this point!!!!!

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

So of the 2 Hickey offers more than Billy. Play him & Marshall together which gives us a second marking target up forward with Paddy. Use Membrey as the mobile target, as that's his strength, not the big park mark.

I agree McEvoy beat Hickey overall but Hickey contributed around the ground, and Billy rarely does.

Of course your breeding idea could have merit ... but a spectacularly ugly result! :mrgreen:

St. Paul
Club Player

Lewis Pierce has to be worth a go. Just a couple of games. His form at Frankston has been solid. He and Marshall are our best hopes.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
stonecold
SS Life Member

St. Paul wrote:Lewis Pierce has to be worth a go. Just a couple of games. His form at Frankston has been solid. He and Marshall are our best hopes.
As previously stated, play the most inform ruck at the time, along with Marshall as second string!!!!!

Put all players on notice and whomever is showing the best form plays!!!!!

Will be interesting to see if they stick with Hickledik or Longer who did well against Gawn last year!!!!!