Trade back into the Superdraft!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Trade back into the Superdraft!!!!!

Pretty obvious that we need to get as many selections as possible in this years draft!!!!!

Who has the currency to get us selections?????

Not saying trade these players, however:

Billings, Gresham and Acres have some currency!!!!!

Thoughts?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Trade back into the Superdraft!!!!!

I think we're going to trade players, whether it be for draft picks or players, but it would be foolhardy to trade Billings, Gresham or Acres. Madness in fact.

Bruce is one that comes to mind as tradeable, I don't see where he fits going forward, given we have Membrey, McCartin, Battle and Marshall. They cannot all play in the same team. I think we'll trade Longer (and yes I think he will have some currency).

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

North Korean won maybe. There are plenty to offload before those three I would think, they once were footballers.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:I think we're going to trade players, whether it be for draft picks or players, but it would be foolhardy to trade Billings, Gresham or Acres. Madness in fact.

Bruce is one that comes to mind as tradeable, I don't see where he fits going forward, given we have Membrey, McCartin, Battle and Marshall. They cannot all play in the same team. I think we'll trade Longer (and yes I think he will have some currency).
Understand what your saying, however Bruce and Longer type trades will not give us another first rnd selection!!!!!

At this point, all the hype about Battle is unproven, so he would need to need to start becoming more consistent at VFL level, he plays a decent game, then not much for a couple of weeks, part of being a young forward, I know, however Josh needs to start making some strides as do many of our players of course!!!!!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We need to trade in a couple of senior respected players. Sloane and maybe a finished warrior like a hodge. We need a couple to set the standard. Who do we have now for our kids to look up to, Geary...? As hard as he tries , can't say he screams elite. Pay overs for a veteran in last year or two. We need leadership, at the moment we have f all , none.

Bring back the Lockett era
degruch
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:We need to trade in a couple of senior respected players. Sloane and maybe a finished warrior like a hodge. We need a couple to set the standard. Who do we have now for our kids to look up to, Geary...? As hard as he tries , can't say he screams elite. Pay overs for a veteran in last year or two. We need leadership, at the moment we have f all , none.
Hadn't thought of that, and it might not be a bad idea given we seem lost at sea when the pressure's on...Jordan Lewis was a good pick-up for the young Dees in that regard. It might be a good time to think about mentors, onfield leadership and development. As for the Superdraft...every year is a friggin' super draft, I don't buy it. Remember, the draft is televised, its as much a part of the show these days any other part of the game, and the AFL will rev it up as much as possible. Don't get me wrong, we should be leveraging any position we have to get higher, but no need to throw everyone off the ship just yet.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I think this is a good idea.
We have to give something to get back in.

Billings has currency and doesn't seen to want to be with us.
Webster has currency and we have people to cover his position.

I would keep Gresh, Coffield Clark and Acres.

I could be talked into letting Dunstan go for a top end pick.

Nee!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

fugazi wrote:I think this is a good idea.
We have to give something to get back in.

Billings has currency and doesn't seen to want to be with us.
Webster has currency and we have people to cover his position.

I would keep Gresh, Coffield Clark and Acres.

I could be talked into letting Dunstan go for a top end pick.
Billings signed a 2 year contract extension 6 months ago and loves the club he doesn't want to go anywhere. To trade akid who has just played 70 games is just plain stupid.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven is the only way we get back in to the 1st round.

It would be brutal to do such a thing but sometimes you need to be cut throat...and reality is he is unlikely to see a premiership with the saints given His age and where we are at

Longer, Bruce, Newnes et al may offer some sort of 2nd - 3rd round compensation if we’re lucky

I would see acres, dunstan, billings, gresh, paddy as untradeable at this stage..

#1 Ryder fan
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

reckon this group need to stick fat together - trade out any of our first team youngsters that were drafted together and grew together and moral would drop even lower.
they will come out okay IF we can make the hard call and get rid of the coaches that have led us down this path.
As above -- we need also to get an experienced FA for onfield leadership.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigred
Saintsational Legend

We trade Acres and I give up foot for good. Maybe Long too...

Everyone else is up for it IMO.

None of them can kick so whatever...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Recruit
Club Player

This trade talk is crazy...
The only players we could trade are

Longer
Bruce
Roberton

Only because I can’t see how this fit with our structure and also they have some value.

the rest of the young guys have talent we just need more talented players over the age of 26...the ones we currently have apart from Steven are just not very good players...and definitely not leaders.
Dunstan, Acres, Billings, Webster, Gresh, Sinclair, Coff, Clark, Paddy, Seb, Long, Membrey will be in a great saints team one day just not this year or next...

Carlisle is a champ and I didn’t feel needed mention in this post

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We could trade any of them.

Absolutely any of them.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Billings for mine. Just hasn't delivered, and doesn't look like it. Could be worth a top 10-20 pick. Surely we have enough non-performing HFFers, but at this stage Long is playing well in advance of Billings and he just shouldn't be given this is JB's 5th year, so I reckon he's expendable.

I'd keep Gresh (but kick his bum for always trying to do the 10% chance option instead of the 90% option. His go isn't to fly 3 deep and take the miracle hanger).

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

St DAC wrote:Billings for mine. Just hasn't delivered, and doesn't look like it. Could be worth a top 10-20 pick. Surely we have enough non-performing HFFers, but at this stage Long is playing well in advance of Billings and he just shouldn't be given this is JB's 5th year, so I reckon he's expendable.

I'd keep Gresh (but kick his bum for always trying to do the 10% chance option instead of the 90% option. His go isn't to fly 3 deep and take the miracle hanger).
what a load of crap
Long 6 games 79 disposals, 4 goals 3 behinds
Billings 6 games 124 disposals, 4 goals 11 behinds.

2 weeks ago everyone on here was saying that Long should be delisted, on the back of 2 good games he's all of a sudden a better player than Billings. Another example of knee jerk reactions.

stonecold
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:
St DAC wrote:Billings for mine. Just hasn't delivered, and doesn't look like it. Could be worth a top 10-20 pick. Surely we have enough non-performing HFFers, but at this stage Long is playing well in advance of Billings and he just shouldn't be given this is JB's 5th year, so I reckon he's expendable.

what a load of crap

2 weeks ago everyone on here was saying that Long should be delisted, on the back of 2 good games he's all of a sudden a better player than Billings. Another example of knee jerk reactions.
Not everyone on here, knee jerk reaction from you there Doggy!!!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What a sad thread.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

BringBackMadDog wrote:what a load of crap

Have you watched them play? Billings lopes around offering little pressure or intent. Ever seen him chase hard? Me neither. Long hustles, tackles and bumps with purpose. It isn't all about stats ...

And he's not a better player, but he is playing better. There's a difference. As well, he's a 2nd year player, and Billings is in this 5th year, and should be playing at a high level each week, and he's just not.

We all have high hopes for Billings, but he has to deliver not just offer potential. And frankly he's not delivering, or even close to it.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We SHOULD NOT trade any of our kids. None. Despite people hating the fact, they are still maturing. Yep. Even guys in their 5th season like Billings, Acres and Dunstan.

We need to remain steady. If anything, we need to use our draft picks on mature and ready made players under 30. We have drafted a ton of bloody kids and have enough coming through the system, especially after last year. Lets chuck this year and next years future draft picks at mature players. Even our 1st rounders. We have enough kids under 25 now!!!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Moods
Saintsational Legend

We have shown that we have no idea selecting players in the draft. If we're going to trade players, it should be to try and get other PROVEN players into the club. I'm no longer excited by draft picks. Coffield looks a find (but so did Billings at the start) The one good trade we did was get Carlisle. Let's try and do more of that. Superdrafts are a lottery. Last year's draft wasn't expected to be in anything spectatcular and now they're saying that it could well turn out to be one of the best drafts ever. You just don't know.

older saint
SS Life Member

We lack top line talent so why would any club give us 1st round draft picks for what we have. Our foot disposal is appalling . Who would attract a first round pick - Acres , Steven Billings. ( Coffield and clark not on the table ).

I would loathe to give up Acres. The other 2 to me would not get a top 10 pick , to me your talking 11-18. Really not gaining what we need then on the trade top end talent. The only thing i could see , if the top 10 is as good as they say, then perhaps Steven and pick 4 for pick in top 3 and a pick in 8-18.
I think unfortunately we are stuck to some extent what we have
Last edited by older saint on Mon 30 Apr 2018 7:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Hopefully we have people at the club who make considered decisions instead of stupid knee jerk reactions.
This thread contains some of the biggest rubbish i have ever read.
We have been down this year but we have players good enough to turn it around and a win and restored confidence will do that.
The quickest way to wooden spoons would be to trade our good players for more untried kids.

One year will be our year
stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:What a sad thread.

Yes, however we need to think about it!!!!!

resaintlee
Club Player

Acres, Long, Coffield, Clark, White and perhaps Marshall as keepers. Hopefully Billings is not pulling a Luke Ball act to get to the pies

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

resaintlee wrote:Acres, Long, Coffield, Clark, White and perhaps Marshall as keepers. Hopefully Billings is not pulling a Luke Ball act to get to the pies
He’d be more interested in going to the Bombers I would think. I think the fact that he only signed a two year contract says that he’s yet to be convinced that his future is at the Saints.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.