It’s starting to get very unpleasant around here

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s starting to get very unpleasant around here

I have no issue with people criticising the players or the coach right... it’s well deserved, heck I’m a long time member of the Richo can’t coach brigade

But there are increasing posts damning anyone perceived to be part of the blue sky brigade.

Tony was attacked for having an opinion. The President was too in the match thread.

One forumite leaves in frustration to then be clapped out the door.

Gresham is a called a selfish sh*t, in another thread a former player is labelled a girl, one forumite is concentrating on Hickey’s flaws, another calls Paddy a fat diabetic

Attacking everything like this, is not a good look and makes for an unpleasant atmosphere

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: It’s starting to get very unpleasant around here

skeptic wrote:I have no issue with people criticising the players or the coach right... it’s well deserved, heck I’m a long time member of the Richo can’t coach brigade

But there are increasing posts damning anyone perceived to be part of the blue sky brigade.

Tony was attacked for having an opinion. The President was too in the match thread.

One forumite leaves in frustration to then be clapped out the door.

Gresham is a called a selfish sh*t, in another thread a former player is labelled a girl, one forumite is concentrating on Hickey’s flaws, another calls Paddy a fat diabetic

Attacking everything like this, is not a good look and makes for an unpleasant atmosphere
Comes from watching that crap from yesterday.

To be honest, I don't know if Richo can/can't coach or whether Gresh is selfish, or even if Paddy could make it??? Something is very broken there at the moment.

I believe it started with some of the players being unfit last year, and then us getting a team wide dose of the 'YIP's', but whatever it is just gets piled up on top of the already difficult reality of being a Saints supporter. So yes, much has been said that probably shouldn't, but I come back to my first point. I can't be watching my side like that without getting very freaking shitty about it. Something needs to be changed

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

When there is hardly any sense of urgency and passion on field (bar Steven and Long), you know something is terribly rotten.

The harsh attacks are born from utter frustration. We are all totally pissed off so it’s unxhartered territory for us.

Last time we were this long out of the finals was pre 1991, and that was different era due to salary cap/draft

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Agree saintspremiers. The silence from the club is deafening and extremely frustrating to the point of anger and of course emotional comments. It is if the Club doesn't put on field performance/wins as a high priority. Telling us the performance is unacceptable with a pat on the head, parroting that we will try hard on the track and no external review is necessary without explaining why such bad performances, why Newnes is picked every week, why Billings lack of physical commitment is accepted, why each week it is same same day, where the development of the needed replacement players is at i.e. an honest appraisal of the players and coach and a new plan plus commitments to some small improvements each week is showing arrogant contempt for supporters. Do we have a Board? Faceless men and women.....This is a crisis and Moorabin is burning while Richo fiddles. I had expected some heavy weights to weigh in by now and demand answers/change. Don't understand the silence. Love to know the internal dynamics.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:When there is hardly any sense of urgency and passion on field (bar Steven and Long), you know something is terribly rotten.

The harsh attacks are born from utter frustration. We are all totally pissed off so it’s unxhartered territory for us.

Last time we were this long out of the finals was pre 1991, and that was different era due to salary cap/draft
I would add Webster to that!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:When there is hardly any sense of urgency and passion on field (bar Steven and Long), you know something is terribly rotten.

Agree. I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me. On an upward trajectory the last 3 years and to go into a new season optimistically and be served up this absolute shyte in the manner it’s being served up is profoundly disappointing. And anything from the club seems to be vanilla spin and denial that something is very wrong. That impression exacerbated by our resident ITK on staff saying there is nothing wrong with the coaching when it’s plain for all to see our game plan is not functional. And things like they just need to kick the first couple of goals in a game and it will all be magically different. Totally in denial.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I blame tom lee.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Fair post skeptic. Unfortunately it's always like this from some posters, even in better times than now. Just that our horrible performance lately brings even more negativity out. Negativity breeds negativity.

I encourage everyone to have some time off the forum and away from the Saints on occasion. It will be good for your mental health to not think about it and be constantly angry and upset.

Hopefully we can turn it around soon and not devolve into a basket case club where supporters pot our own players like Melbourne with Jack Watts etc.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hang on...it was once pleasant on here???

matrix
Saintsational Legend

takeaway
Club Player

Actually, I thought there was semblance in improvement yesterday, especially in the first half. I thought we had more of the play over that period, but NOT CONVERTING is the big issue. When Paddy and then Gresh missed quite easy shots, it must have been SO DEFLATING for the team, and it has become a disease. We have have to nail shots we should get, and if we do I think there will marked improvement around the ground.

A few lowered their eyes, especially in the first half, and passed well, and some of the play seemed to have more purpose. Melbourne were more efficient and accurate, and that was the real difference. We need more work on the forward structure, Membrey improved, Paddy leads well, got a couple of passes, but a lot was still bombed in. Unfortunately he got a bit of a hit. We need another mobile taller forward - Bruce, Marshall, Battle? Billings has become tentative, needs to go to HBF or Sandy for a week or 2. I would try HBF.

If we get rid of the goal kicking woes, I think there will be quite a turnaround. No finals this year, but we may cause a few upsets. Should give Battle, Rice, Goddard, Phillips, etc a go over coming weeks. Look forward to next week in WA.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:Actually, I thought there was semblance in improvement yesterday, especially in the first half. I thought we had more of the play over that period, but NOT CONVERTING is the big issue. When Paddy and then Gresh missed quite easy shots, it must have been SO DEFLATING for the team, and it has become a disease. We have have to nail shots we should get, and if we do I think there will marked improvement around the ground.

A few lowered their eyes, especially in the first half, and passed well, and some of the play seemed to have more purpose. Melbourne were more efficient and accurate, and that was the real difference. We need more work on the forward structure, Membrey improved, Paddy leads well, got a couple of passes, but a lot was still bombed in. Unfortunately he got a bit of a hit. We need another mobile taller forward - Bruce, Marshall, Battle? Billings has become tentative, needs to go to HBF or Sandy for a week or 2. I would try HBF.

If we get rid of the goal kicking woes, I think there will be quite a turnaround. No finals this year, but we may cause a few upsets. Should give Battle, Rice, Goddard, Phillips, etc a go over coming weeks. Look forward to next week in WA.
This is a very measured post and I agree with all of it. It's easy to look at the end result and wring our hands. The reality is that there was effort yesterday - particularly in the 1st half. We are so poor around goals it's laughable. I know waaay back when I played, that if the fwds didn't convert the frustration builds on the field. There's a sense that the opposition will have their turn and when they do, they inevitably convert. The despair heightens and before you know it everyone is playing without confidence. We should have scored AT LEAST 5 more goals yesterday. That's not to say that this equates to us losing by 10 points only, as the dynamic of the game changes once scoreboard pressure is applied. But i believe that we are about 3-4 goals better than what we showed yesterday.

Converting goals is our single biggest issue. Movement from midfield into attack is our 2nd biggest issue (and that's coaching!!!)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:Actually, I thought there was semblance in improvement yesterday, especially in the first half. I thought we had more of the play over that period, but NOT CONVERTING is the big issue. When Paddy and then Gresh missed quite easy shots, it must have been SO DEFLATING for the team, and it has become a disease. We have have to nail shots we should get, and if we do I think there will marked improvement around the ground.

Good post! Cool heads + strong nerve are the requirements during this awful period fir the club. Keep the faith, however painful it may be at times!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I generally behave myself at the game, but yesterday when sitting in the Goal Zone ( between aisles 23 + 24 ) I let fly at some of my own fellow supporters. I’m not proud of it, and feel I let myself down, however in my own defence, I’d sat there , like the rest of us, in abject despair at some of the skills errors, but kept my mouth shut. However a couple of loud mouthed (ahem) “Sainters” (?!?!?!) did nothing but bad-mouth our players non-stop. Eventually I told ‘em to “ shut UP!” And “ if they can’t back the players then get lost!” One bloke shouts; “I am backing them, I’m HERE aren’t I?” Yeah mate, you’re “ here “ but of absolutely NO use to the club with that attitude!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:I generally behave myself at the game, but yesterday when sitting in the Goal Zone ( between aisles 23 + 24 ) I let fly at some of my own fellow supporters. I’m not proud of it, and feel I let myself down, however in my own defence, I’d sat there , like the rest of us, in abject despair at some of the skills errors, but kept my mouth shut. However a couple of loud mouthed (ahem) “Sainters” (?!?!?!) did nothing but bad-mouth our players non-stop. Eventually I told ‘em to “ shut UP!” And “ if they can’t back the players then get lost!” One bloke shouts; “I am backing them, I’m HERE aren’t I?” Yeah mate, you’re “ here “ but of absolutely NO use to the club with that attitude!
Good work Jiggers. Bet those same people have barely kicked a footy in their lives or could run halfway around a footy oval at 21.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I generally behave myself at the game, but yesterday when sitting in the Goal Zone ( between aisles 23 + 24 ) I let fly at some of my own fellow supporters. I’m not proud of it, and feel I let myself down, however in my own defence, I’d sat there , like the rest of us, in abject despair at some of the skills errors, but kept my mouth shut. However a couple of loud mouthed (ahem) “Sainters” (?!?!?!) did nothing but bad-mouth our players non-stop. Eventually I told ‘em to “ shut UP!” And “ if they can’t back the players then get lost!” One bloke shouts; “I am backing them, I’m HERE aren’t I?” Yeah mate, you’re “ here “ but of absolutely NO use to the club with that attitude!
Good work Jiggers. Bet those same people have barely kicked a footy in their lives or could run halfway around a footy oval at 21.
Damn straight! AND those guys will be there kissing those same players collective arse should thing turn around and we hit some success

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

A collective of arses ..... is that like a parliament of owls??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

I would add Webster to that!!!!!
Match highlight was Webster running back with the flight to spoil.
Just moments after Billings displayed how not to do it.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The Recruit
Club Player

dragit wrote:I blame tom lee.
+1

markp
Saintsational Legend

So you out or in?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:So you out or in?
Sorry to disappoint the masses, but I’m just sharing an observation

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish. When 95% of the team aren’t putting in then fair enough, have a blast and yell.

More constructive directing it towards Finnis who is responsible for re-signing Elliott Goblett for an extra 2 years last year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Rubbish. When 95% of the team aren’t putting in then fair enough, have a blast and yell.

More constructive directing it towards Finnis who is responsible for re-signing Elliott Goblett for an extra 2 years last year.
I think I will take Sammy Fisher's view over yours. No disrespect mind you. :wink: