Logan Austin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Logan Austin

Last year we traded for this guy, supposedly a promising backman from Adelaide, still young but with a couple of pre-seasons under his belt. In other words, ready to go. And we gave up this years 2nd round draft pick, a reasonably significant trade.

So how come we havn't seen him? Roberton is down, Brown has become a dinosaur, Goddard hasn't come on, and we have too many butchers?

This St Kilda list is at an all-time low, if Austin was half as good as the recruiters obviously though, how come he's not in the team?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Logan Austin

Fair call, except Brown has been a bit more than just okay,

shrodes
SS Life Member

There was rumours that he was a Richo pet from his days at Port. Not sure about that, but for what it's worth, he did look alright from his tape when I looked at the trade period.

ace
Saintsational Legend

He was brought into the club firstly as a replacement if one of Brown or Carlisle were to get injured and then when Brown retires maybe replace him.
They already know that the only person Goddard can beat in a foot race is named McCartin.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

And he has already played 13 AFL games at Power. Surely must be worth a shot in this rabble.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The backline is not the problem at all. Austin shouldn't be replacing anyone at this point. He will get in the side if Brown or Carlisle get injured or when Brown hangs up the boots someday.

Austin is still quite young and developing his game. I'm tipping we will see him at some point this year, but he is still a handy backup at this point.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
dragit
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:The backline is not the problem at all. Austin shouldn't be replacing anyone at this point. He will get in the side if Brown or Carlisle get injured or when Brown hangs up the boots someday.

Austin is still quite young and developing his game. I'm tipping we will see him at some point this year, but he is still a handy backup at this point.
This mentality is what keeps a club perpetually mediocre.

If we are any chance to be challenging again in a few years, then we need players like Austin to be seasoned 50+ AFL game players at the expense of getting a plodder like Nathan Brown to 200 games.

Our backline has an average age of 26+ and while they are performing admiringly, they form a pretty stodgy unskillful unit.

If Austin turns out be a spud, I'd rather find out in 2018 - 2019, rather than clogging the list for 5 years only to find out in 2022.

Brown should be the handy backup while we put some games into youth. It's round 8, we have one win, let's get serious.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Play the kids.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:The backline is not the problem at all. Austin shouldn't be replacing anyone at this point. He will get in the side if Brown or Carlisle get injured or when Brown hangs up the boots someday.

This mentality is what keeps a club perpetually mediocre.

If we are any chance to be challenging again in a few years, then we need players like Austin to be seasoned 50+ AFL game players at the expense of getting a plodder like Nathan Brown to 200 games.

Our backline has an average age of 26+ and while they are performing admiringly, they form a pretty stodgy unskillful unit.

If Austin turns out be a spud, I'd rather find out in 2018 - 2019, rather than clogging the list for 5 years only to find out in 2022.

Brown should be the handy backup while we put some games into youth. It's round 8, we have one win, let's get serious.
Disagree. We need Brown out there for his leadership, expierence and big body. I know where you are coming from but if Austin or Goddard aren't banging down the door at Sandy yet then Brown stays in. It sends the wrong message if we dump him for no good reason. Along with Geary and Gilbert he is probably the only other older bloke we have out there each week and he's not even 30.

But I would still like to see Austin and Goddard at some point. Its a miracle Brown and Carlise haven't been injured yet. Its bound to happen at some stage either this year or next so opportunities will arise.

Further, if we are stuffed at season's end then they would probably give a few players a game or two off like Carlisle or Brown to play some kids. Its looking that way anyway.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
dragit
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:We need Brown out there for his leadership, expierence and big body.
These are classic qualities that get listed for players who are just average

Could also add in
gives his all
tries all day
has a real crack
straightens us up

We actually need youth in our backline more than Browns 2 marks and 2 kicks per match, someone of his stature should be a genuine marking option when we are trying to get the ball out of our backline.
Last edited by dragit on Mon 07 May 2018 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Can Logan kick between targets 6.4 metres apart? yes, then a ready made CHF in the current team.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

As if you would get rid of Brown. Are other posters watching the same games I am? Brown takes his player down each week. Look at who he has marked in the last few games and tell me their impact was minimal. You are never going to win every contest but my god he stops so many goals each week he should be praised not replaced. Logan was a silly trade as our backs are the least of our problems plus we picked up 3 more in the draft. Nothing against him but he wasn't great while in the Adelaide so why would he be great here

dragit
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:As if you would get rid of Brown. Are other posters watching the same games I am? Brown takes his player down each week. Look at who he has marked in the last few games and tell me their impact was minimal. You are never going to win every contest but my god he stops so many goals each week he should be praised not replaced. Logan was a silly trade as our backs are the least of our problems plus we picked up 3 more in the draft. Nothing against him but he wasn't great while in the Adelaide so why would he be great here
Who did Brown stop yesterday?

Hogan and McDonald combined for 5 goals and 37 touches and 14 marks.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Serious question.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:Fair call, except Brown has been a bit more than just okay,
I'd agree with that. Brown has one job - stop his man - and quite frankly there are many in our team that don't get close to doing that. He's far from our worst or least effective in his designated role. Having said that - in (another) losing, development season - it makes no sense not to play Logon (in the same way that we might as well keep playing Sinclair and White) instead of those who we know are experienced but of limited (if any) upside.

Go you red, black & white warriors
DJ Higgins
Club Player

dragit wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:As if you would get rid of Brown. Are other posters watching the same games I am? Brown takes his player down each week. Look at who he has marked in the last few games and tell me their impact was minimal. You are never going to win every contest but my god he stops so many goals each week he should be praised not replaced. Logan was a silly trade as our backs are the least of our problems plus we picked up 3 more in the draft. Nothing against him but he wasn't great while in the Adelaide so why would he be great here

When they actually kicked the goals who was marking them? Was it Brown or another defender? When the marks were taken, where were they the majority of them when Brown was on them. Outside fifty or at acute angles making it more likely to pass than shoot for goal or in range on a good angle. Not saying he stops them every single time or he is perfect, that would be silly, be re-watch the highlights, you may be a little surprised with what you see.

Raph Goat Clarke
Club Player

It's not just that its that when we get the ball with brown playing we are playing with 17 players.
Nobody kicks the ball to him because he can't kick; he literally just takes up space.
As solid as he is defensively, offensively he is horrendous.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
dragit wrote:

When they actually kicked the goals who was marking them? Was it Brown or another defender? When the marks were taken, where were they the majority of them when Brown was on them. Outside fifty or at acute angles making it more likely to pass than shoot for goal or in range on a good angle. Not saying he stops them every single time or he is perfect, that would be silly, be re-watch the highlights, you may be a little surprised with what you see.
If Brown is not manning a key forward then what is he doing? There's no point him standing next to Melksham or Hannan.

37 disposals, 14 marks, 5 goals > either he is stopping these guys or is just a liability, as he contributes nothing when we have the ball.

Who did Brown curtail that would justify keeping his spot in the side?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Raph Goat Clarke wrote:It's not just that its that when we get the ball with brown playing we are playing with 17 players.
Nobody kicks the ball to him because he can't kick; he literally just takes up space.
And that’s different with Gilbert, Geary and mostly Newnes how?

Go you red, black & white warriors
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote:
Raph Goat Clarke wrote:It's not just that its that when we get the ball with brown playing we are playing with 17 players.
They had 60 odd touches between them and at least offer an option when we have the ball.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Saintmatt wrote:
They had 60 odd touches between them and at least offer an option when we have the ball.
Brown got seriously touched up by his namesake against North round 2 and dropped off McStay and Hipwood against the Lions as he couldn't go with them for endurance.
He is a one paced plodder. What leadership is he offering? We are getting smashed every week.

I know my old pal Saynta wants him as our next captain, but I would like to see a youngster get a run to see if he can play.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

dragit wrote: If Brown is not manning a key forward then what is he doing? There's no point him standing next to Melksham or Hannan.

37 disposals, 14 marks, 5 goals > either he is stopping these guys or is just a liability, as he contributes nothing when we have the ball.

I think this post has gone a little off topic so this will be my last post on Brown here. I think you missed my point He usually takes he's guy out of the equation. It makes little sense to mention stats for multiple players that had multiple players marking them. It makes as much sense as saying he let them kick all 16 goals. Re-watch the highlights (lowlights) and you will see that Brown usually has he's man covered. If the ball gets kicked to a player he is not marking then it is not his role to stop it nor is it physically possible.
We got Brown to be a stopper and that is what he does most games. He does get beaten on occasions, everyone does especially against class i.e. Ben Brown but who would have honestly done better. Plus he should only play games where the opposition has a big full forward, he is not worth playing when they are all small and agile.
I completely agree he has no offence but that is not why we got him. You can't be annoyed that someone isn't doing something he was never meant to do.
In saying that Logan from all accounts isn't tearing it up at VFL level nor did he at AFL in Adelaide. We shouldn't just play him because we have to justify trading him in. Goddard is slow as so who would you replace Brown with and why?

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Well then, it sounds like the majority of posters don't feel there's a place for Logan.......therefore can we say it was a bloody stupid trade?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote:
dragit wrote: If Brown is not manning a key forward then what is he doing? There's no point him standing next to Melksham or Hannan.

I think this post has gone a little off topic so this will be my last post on Brown here. I think you missed my point He usually takes he's guy out of the equation. It makes little sense to mention stats for multiple players that had multiple players marking them. It makes as much sense as saying he let them kick all 16 goals. Re-watch the highlights (lowlights) and you will see that Brown usually has he's man covered. If the ball gets kicked to a player he is not marking then it is not his role to stop it nor is it physically possible.
We got Brown to be a stopper and that is what he does most games. He does get beaten on occasions, everyone does especially against class i.e. Ben Brown but who would have honestly done better. Plus he should only play games where the opposition has a big full forward, he is not worth playing when they are all small and agile.
I completely agree he has no offence but that is not why we got him. You can't be annoyed that someone isn't doing something he was never meant to do.
In saying that Logan from all accounts isn't tearing it up at VFL level nor did he at AFL in Adelaide. We shouldn't just play him because we have to justify trading him in. Goddard is slow as so who would you replace Brown with and why?
Good and sensible post with solid arguments.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:There was rumours that he was a Richo pet from his days at Port. Not sure about that, but for what it's worth, he did look alright from his tape when I looked at the trade period.
Richo was at St Kilda when Austin was drafted, so those rumours may be false.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"