New coaching panel nominees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

New coaching panel nominees

Need a refresh in the coaching box. Henry Playfair the only one who probably deserves another go next year as an assistant.

2nd assistant, I’d like to get Lenny Hayes back from GWS. We need at least 1person in the box who understands what it’s like to be involved in our club and has seen it rise from the bottom of the ladder to the top (close enough)

A little left field, my 3rd assistant would be Nathan Basset. Coached SANFL team Norwood to a flag a few years back and is a bit left field thinker. Now at the Power. Notably he is also a Type 1 diabetic. Would be a great source of comfort to Paddy to have someone who can 100% relate to what he experiences as a player. AFL is a game of finding a small advantage- this could be one.

Head coach - it’s Brett Ratten for me. Terribly unlucky to get the boot at Carlton and we’ve seen how crap their list really was once he moved away. Now getting first hand experience working with arguably the greatest coach of the last 10 years.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: New coaching panel nominees

I feel the Football Dept is floundering, and the combination of senior coach and assistants is just not getting acceptable results. The playing list we have can play better as a team I'm sure, so why aren't they? I would like to see a higher profile ex Saint come back on board somewhere.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Need a refresh in the coaching box. Henry Playfair the only one who probably deserves another go next year as an assistant.

2nd assistant, I’d like to get Lenny Hayes back from GWS. We need at least 1person in the box who understands what it’s like to be involved in our club and has seen it rise from the bottom of the ladder to the top (close enough)

A little left field, my 3rd assistant would be Nathan Basset. Coached SANFL team Norwood to a flag a few years back and is a bit left field thinker. Now at the Power. Notably he is also a Type 1 diabetic. Would be a great source of comfort to Paddy to have someone who can 100% relate to what he experiences as a player. AFL is a game of finding a small advantage- this could be one.

Head coach - it’s Brett Ratten for me. Terribly unlucky to get the boot at Carlton and we’ve seen how crap their list really was once he moved away. Now getting first hand experience working with arguably the greatest coach of the last 10 years.
Interesting. I’d LOVE “to get Lenny Hayes back from GWS” but in all honesty there is ZERO chance of that happening. Lenny loves the Saints, but is WAY too smart and aware of his sanity levels to contemplate a return.
Brett Ratten? Yes, I’d definitely be interested in seeing him as senior coach.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
ace
Saintsational Legend

Mickey Mouse as head coach and Donald Duck to help out on those wet away game days.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

We need a Neil Balme type of football manager, Grant Thomas would be an excellent candidate.

That would be a good starting point. We need coaches, assistants and recruiters, I reckon Grant Thomas has the judgment to help us find the right people.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:We need a Neil Balme type of football manager, Grant Thomas would be an excellent candidate.

That would be a good starting point. We need coaches, assistants and recruiters, I reckon Grant Thomas has the judgment to help us find the right people.
GT has made his bed in terms of a return to the AFL. They'd have him 'fixed up'...

Bring back the Lockett era
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I am perplexed, why all the love for Brett Ratten? What's it based on, his coaching at Carlton? :shock: Or because he's one of Clarkson's Assistants?

We hired Watters because he was one of Malthouse's Assistants, that worked out well. Clarkson's Assistants will be familiar with Clarkson's systems and methods now, not what he'll do in the future. They are not Clarkson and won't necessarily have his creativity, imgination and vision.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Why not Malthouse in a mentoring role? We could do worse

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Garry Ayres as senior coach?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Garry Ayres as senior coach?
Interesting name to throw in ring. His contract will be up with Port Melbourne by the end of the year. He has had an outstanding record in coaching them over the last decade. He is, however, now towards the age of 60. The question is: would he even still be interested in coaching at AFL level?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
congorozides
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:I am perplexed, why all the love for Brett Ratten? What's it based on, his coaching at Carlton? :shock: Or because he's one of Clarkson's Assistants?

We hired Watters because he was one of Malthouse's Assistants, that worked out well. Clarkson's Assistants will be familiar with Clarkson's systems and methods now, not what he'll do in the future. They are not Clarkson and won't necessarily have his creativity, imgination and vision.
Ratten has a coaching record at the Blues of 50% wins. You bag him.

Richo has a record of 35% wina at the Saints. You praise him.

This is an example of cognitive dissonance.

And yes - working with Clarkson is clearly a plus.

Ratten was at Hawthorn for the 2013, 14 and 15 premierships.

That's first hand experience in three flags as a coach plus one as a player.

Seriously are you taking the piss????

congorozides
Club Player

Too long out of the game I think.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
True, colleague. BUT perhaps a “planned succession” with Ayres as mentor/leader to someone like Lenny Hayes could be a way to go..... I’m thinking along the lines of Lenny being “junior partner” in a co-coaching partnership? I realise of course, that all we’re doing is hypothesising

congorozides
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:We need a Neil Balme type of football manager, Grant Thomas would be an excellent candidate.

I like the idea of this. We need a real man manager type in that role who can manage all of the staff and players well.
Somebody like Blake Caracella is considered a brilliant match day tactician but lacks the man management skills. I also think our fitness guy is no good.

If GT had had a Caracella taking over the game day tactics - wed have another flag for sure. GT was great at the people stuff but not too great on the tactics.

The club needs to recognize people have different skills. We might not find the person who is brilliant at everything. That is ok.
A long as we recognize different skill sets and utilize them intelligently.

Off the top of my head Id speak to

Caracella
Sam Mitchell
Brett Ratten
Todd Curley
Lenny
Roo

And quite a few others.

We dont need a single messiah coach. We need a good football department team with a good spread of skills working together.

But boy oh boy Id take Clarko if he was interested :-)

congorozides
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
congorozides wrote:
True, colleague. BUT perhaps a “planned succession” with Ayres as mentor/leader to someone like Lenny Hayes could be a way to go..... I’m thinking along the lines of Lenny being “junior partner” in a co-coaching partnership? I realise of course, that all we’re doing is hypothesising
Agree Ayers could some value. Certainly chat with him.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:

I like the idea of this. We need a real man manager type in that role who can manage all of the staff and players well.
Somebody like Blake Caracella is considered a brilliant match day tactician but lacks the man management skills.
It wold be good to have somebody in each role so we have man management and tactics covered.
If GT had had a Caracella taking over the game day tactics - wed have another flag for sure. GT was great at the people stuff but not to great on the tactics.
The club needs to recognize people have different skills. We might not find the person who is brilliant at everything. That is ok.
A long as we recognize different skill sets and utilize them intelligently.

Off the to of my head Id speak to

Caracella
Sam Mitchell
Brett Ratten
Todd Curley

And quite a few others.

We dont need a single messiah coach. We need a good football department team with a good spread of skills working together.

But boy oh boy Id take Clarko if he was interested :-)
Some good points there Colleague. One person I’d be working on NOW is Luke Hodge....... I’d even go as far as to offer him an onfield gig short- term with a view to getting him in as a coach

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

congorozides wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:I am perplexed, why all the love for Brett Ratten? What's it based on, his coaching at Carlton? :shock: Or because he's one of Clarkson's Assistants?

When Carlton put the pressure on him (whether justified or not) he completely choked and lost it, started barracking rather than Coaching.

He had a very decent list at Carlton and the best he could do was 1 finals appearance for no wins. I watched Ross Lyon Coach him into the ground on numerous occasions. Particularly loved the occasion (2008) that Lyon tagged everyone in his midfield with the exception of CHRIS JUDD! Ratten didn't see that coming and probably still hasn't. Juddy got a heap of the footy for us that evening.

The cream of the Assistants around the league are Caracella (who is by all intents and purposes actually coaching Richmond) and Voss foolishly sacked by the Lions. Way surperior options to Ratten.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Ratten or take a gamble on Sam Mitchell...he will be a ruthless coach. Very smart.

Nee!
congorozides
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
congorozides wrote:

When Carlton put the pressure on him (whether justified or not) he completely choked and lost it, started barracking rather than Coaching.

He had a very decent list at Carlton and the best he could do was 1 finals appearance for no wins. I watched Ross Lyon Coach him into the ground on numerous occasions. Particularly loved the occasion (2008) that Lyon tagged everyone in his midfield with the exception of CHRIS JUDD! Ratten didn't see that coming and probably still hasn't. Juddy got a heap of the footy for us that evening.

The cream of the Assistants around the league are Caracella (who is by all intents and purposes actually coaching Richmond) and Voss foolishly sacked by the Lions. Way surperior options to Ratten.
Not sure anyone is suggesting Ratten for the top job.
But for some kind of role.
I dont think the Carlton list was all that great either. He got them to 5th in 2011 and Murphy was their B & F. A good effort with an ordinary list.

Here is the Elimination Final winning side from 2011 - looks fairly s*** to me. So I am not sure the list was all that decent.

Ill give you a few names to prove my point

Carrazzo, Thornton, Robinson, Ellard, Warnock, Duigan, Joseph, Davies, O'Hailpin.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... s?mid=5337

So I think you are being very harsh on the bloke..... And then on the other hand letting Richo off scott free....
Last edited by congorozides on Sun 13 May 2018 5:29pm, edited 4 times in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Ratten or take a gamble on Sam Mitchell...he will be a ruthless coach. Very smart.
Why?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
David-Lee
Club Player

Again Director of Football: Neil Craig / Brett Ratten

Head Coach: anyone except Richo, theres literally 15 blokes skilled up and ready - I really reckon Voss would be brilliant.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:Again Director of Football: Neil Craig / Brett Ratten

Head Coach: anyone except Richo, theres literally 15 blokes skilled up and ready - I really reckon Voss would be brilliant.
Voss? Give me a BREAK!

felix
Club Player

Lenny..Roo..Sir Robert Harvey..Ozzie Jones and xman. I would like to see some St Kilda people at the club to give the place some heart and soul which is missing.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Lenny..Roo..Sir Robert Harvey..Ozzie Jones and xman. I would like to see some St Kilda people at the club to give the place some heart and soul which is missing.
+1

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

yep. i reckon these guys are burning to get a flag in some capacity with st kilda - unfinished business.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "