Scott "No Mates" Watters Gets His 2 Cents...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Scott "No Mates" Watters Gets His 2 Cents...

For what it's worth, which isn't very much. Fortunately he kept it brief. Interesting that he spoke of poor list management and recruiting over the last decade when he only added to those problems during his two year coaching tenure. According to Papa Smurf, Richo isn't to blame, it's mostly our president and CEO.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/05/13/ ... president/

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ss1986
Club Player

Re: Scott "No Mates" Watters Gets His 2 Cents...

Sainternist wrote:
According to Papa Smurf, Richo isn't to blame, it's mostly our president and CEO.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/05/13/ ... president/
And he'd be 110% right.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

You’d expect him to say that. He has an axe to grind with the administration. Of course he’s going to side with an under-pressure coach. That’s someone with whom he can identify.

I’m also not convinced our list is as bad as he says it is either. It’s better than what we’ve shown this season.

I think our list is ok. Not great, but ok. But its confidence is shot and it’s poorly deployed.

The forward structure is abysmal. It lacks the physical presence that Josh Bruce or Carlisle would provide.

The midfield has way too many similar types. Get Gresham and Acres in there and redeploy a couple of the in and unders in different roles. Also, get Sinclair in somewhere. He’s a good user of the ball and we need as many of them as we can get.

Fix those and there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

There’s some lateral thinking and vision needed to get us out of this deep, dark hole. Over to you, Richo.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The playing list, the list management people, the conditioning staff and the majority of the coaching group are all flawed in some way.

I hope there is change at years end. :shock: :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What President?

It sounds like Scott Floggers has a case of sour grapes. Too bad that nearly 5 years after the event, Floggers still isn’t over his sacking.

Floggers lacks self awareness and self reflection. He needs to take a long hard look at his own behaviour before he points the finger.

Flog.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

We have problems at the top...its pretty obvious.

Nee!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Yep!
I dont have an axe to grind and agree with him on the following:

1. "poor decision making around the recruitment strategy," said Watters

2. "Alan Richardson is a working class coach doing his best with a pretty average list (due to 1 above)," he said.

The root cause of our problem is 1, above. You are what you recruit - therefore be careful and selective on who you recruit - only recruit players with a requisite skill set and the right types for team balance - you can't have 10 inside midfielders (most, if not all, with average skills), 8 half back flankers and 4 or 5 ruckmen - that's lunacy. Our recruiters have accumulated list cloggers.
Is it any wonder we don't have midfield spread and run and the skills to match it with the best teams?
Recruit for balance and skills - it's simple - if you want to emulate Hawthorn or Geelong, etc..

If I was overseeing the recruiting at St Kilda, we would've avoided all this mess. :wink: But, seriously, it is that obvious (and blaming the coach is letting the real culprits off the hook - and allowing them to wreak more havoc).

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I cant believe we wasted so many years on that cabbage.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
spert
Saintsational Legend

The guy got shafted by a couple of senior players and a couple of boofheads at the club and was never going to get a good crack at serious rebuilding of the list, which would have meant moving on some of those favorite sons who didn't perform in GFs. Surprised he hasn't opened up earlier and slammed the club.

Crossy66
Club Player

spert wrote:The guy got shafted by a couple of senior players and a couple of boofheads at the club and was never going to get a good crack at serious rebuilding of the list, which would have meant moving on some of those favorite sons who didn't perform in GFs. Surprised he hasn't opened up earlier and slammed the club.
As i recall it, his Autocratic style had alienated everyone from the president to the boot studder, lost the players most notably the skipper, lost the support coaches, couldnt get on with the head of football dept, went on radio when told not too etc etc. So i think he shafted himself. In any business, one of the key elements of leadership is the ability to get on with others, at the very least earn respect and trust and he was unable to achieve either. Perhaps in his defence, the Pelchan appointment blindsided him, but perhaps the most significant point is that he seemed to be pretty much banished from the AFL landscape after leaving the Saints

degruch
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:1. "poor decision making around the recruitment strategy," said Watters
Tom Lee...lol

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:You’d expect him to say that. He has an axe to grind with the administration. Of course he’s going to side with an under-pressure coach. That’s someone with whom he can identify.

I’m also not convinced our list is as bad as he says it is either. It’s better than what we’ve shown this season.

I think our list is ok. Not great, but ok. But its confidence is shot and it’s poorly deployed.

The forward structure is abysmal. It lacks the physical presence that Josh Bruce or Carlisle would provide.

The midfield has way too many similar types. Get Gresham and Acres in there and redeploy a couple of the in and unders in different roles. Also, get Sinclair in somewhere. He’s a good user of the ball and we need as many of them as we can get.

Fix those and there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

There’s some lateral thinking and vision needed to get us out of this deep, dark hole. Over to you, Richo.
1000% agree. The list wasn't this bad last year - (largely) the same list had largely won more games and been more competitive in others. It certainly needs 2 - 4 top end talented players (as do most sides) though. Current list is just being slaughtered by conservative selection, continual playing of favourites, lack of a plan for ball movement, stagnant non-reactionary in-match coaching and a fair degree of low confidence).

I'm not sure we need to change Richo but he does nothing to allay this with his continual monotone, cliche-ridden media dribble (on 360 and elsewhere). I think we need a whole heap of help around him with experienced senior coaches (who have a proven history of winning things). Then we need a development program which actually develops our drafted talent (rather then de-skills it) and finally, a shake-up in recruiting (we have such poor proven history there that something needs to change by definition).

Go you red, black & white warriors
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The guy got shafted by a couple of senior players and a couple of boofheads at the club and was never going to get a good crack at serious rebuilding of the list, which would have meant moving on some of those favorite sons who didn't perform in GFs. Surprised he hasn't opened up earlier and slammed the club.
When AR was appointed by the current board they let the incumbent know that he had to keep Rooy happy.

That's what Alan was focussed on up until Rooy's retirement. It was a pretty narrow focus and not a very difficult KPI.

Just ask Rooy and do as Rooy tells you. It is obvious that Alan is smarter that Watters. Alan was re-appointed at the end of last year because he fulfilled his end of the contract

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote:
As i recall it, his Autocratic style had alienated everyone from the president to the boot studder, lost the players most notably the skipper, lost the support coaches, couldnt get on with the head of football dept, went on radio when told not too etc etc. So i think he shafted himself. In any business, one of the key elements of leadership is the ability to get on with others, at the very least earn respect and trust and he was unable to achieve either. Perhaps in his defence, the Pelchan appointment blindsided him, but perhaps the most significant point is that he seemed to be pretty much banished from the AFL landscape after leaving the Saints
Pelchen was appointed when R Lyon was coaching wasn't he? What did you mean by blindsided or did you get your time lines wrong?

Btw, I love how people on here are so quick to condemn a guy and justify St Kilda's decision to get rid of him based on what we all know was basically a falling out with our most senior players, especially the captain. All the other stuff is a furphy and just the normal politics you get in every club. If Watters had got his way and more senior players were moved on...sliding doors

Gee we should be backing the admin on their decision making there when they chose the senior players...we've done well out of that haven't we. It was so good nearly making the top 8 2 years running. The board and admin have proven to make the correct calls over the years haven't they?

This fabrication also intrigues me when people claim that no-one in the AFL landscape wanted him...Have you ever considered that Scott 'chose' not to pursue any other coaching roles?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Crossy66 wrote:
Pelchen was appointed when R Lyon was coaching wasn't he? What did you mean by blindsided or did you get your time lines wrong?

Btw, I love how people on here are so quick to condemn a guy and justify St Kilda's decision to get rid of him based on what we all know was basically a falling out with our most senior players, especially the captain. All the other stuff is a furphy and just the normal politics you get in every club. If Watters had got his way and more senior players were moved on...sliding doors

Gee we should be backing the admin on their decision making there when they chose the senior players...we've done well out of that haven't we. It was so good nearly making the top 8 2 years running. The board and admin have proven to make the correct calls over the years haven't they?

This fabrication also intrigues me when people claim that no-one in the AFL landscape wanted him...Have you ever considered that Scott 'chose' not to pursue any other coaching roles?
Too much bullsh*t has been spun about letting Watters go by those surrounding the club. The tail wagged the dog, and the politically correct AR was appointed to allow the tail to keep wagging. Imagine if Clarkson was appointed at the time instead of Watters..the same result I bet as the club was too weak to get behind the coach when the crunch came about list management. Enough venting..thanks.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:
samoht wrote:1. "poor decision making around the recruitment strategy," said Watters
Tom Lee...lol
You forgot Beau Maister, he certainly had a thing for WAFL players.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Who honestly gives a f*** what this f***wit says???

Crossy66
Club Player

spert wrote:
Scollop wrote:
Crossy66 wrote:

Too much bullsh*t has been spun about letting Watters go by those surrounding the club. The tail wagged the dog, and the politically correct AR was appointed to allow the tail to keep wagging. Imagine if Clarkson was appointed at the time instead of Watters..the same result I bet as the club was too weak to get behind the coach when the crunch came about list management. Enough venting..thanks.
Just read your reply Scollop. Re Pelchan, I meant that Watters wasnt aware of the influence Pelchan had and was told to fall into line under him. I remember it was reported at the time that RL had a similar issue with Pelchans role. i cant comment on whether or not Watters was any good or not but by all accounts he had no support and the board was forced to act, . none of thats a furphy.
I think both appointments didnt work out and our rebuild strategy was flawed due to compromised drafts and this doesnt reflect well on the board.
And you are right, i havent considered that Scott opted not to pursue other coaching opportunities so perhaps that could be the case.

ctqs
Club Player

If the dwarf tosser was any good then why hasn't he got another senior gig?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:If the dwarf tosser was any good then why hasn't he got another senior gig?
Word is he "'chose' not to pursue any other coaching roles". :D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post