Would you back me?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ss1986
Club Player

Would you back me?

I’m 32 - work in an accounting firm as a Senior Manager.

I am not rich, I dont drive a flashy car, and I’m just an everyday bloke who grew up in Lalor.

I dont have any great connections, but I do have contact with the family owners of one of our major sponsors.

I’d have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club.

Never been more passionate however about the St.Kilda and I’d make sure we as supporters are heard in the media and at the AFL like never before.

I’ve bawled my eyes out for this club. Danced on seats when we’ve won....

All I want is someone passionate to stand for the things all of our supporters do- the thing we have in common... which is the drug that is the Saints.

I want to see 80 year old grannies crying when we win a GF. I want to see my 58 year old Dad who was too young for 66 to do the same.

Only thing is; I havent been a member out of principal against this shocking regime, which i think many would hold against me.

But would you vote for someone like me if we had a chance?

I’ve never been more serious in all my life....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Would you back me?

Can you coach?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

On the basis of your post, yes I would, however, it must be tempered by due diligence of course, a knee jerk re-action does benefit anyone.

We need someone who knows the pain we have suffered through putting our case forward. We need a blend of football/non football people as well as St Kilda/non St Kilda people.

I would actually be rapt if a ticket was put together of people who are not St Kilda people - people who are solely results driven and do not care about the 'club' but only the success of it!

So - if you could surround yourself with people driven by success - yes - you would have my vote!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
stonecold
SS Life Member

I'd back anyone else than what we have at the moment!!!!!

Your in!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
ss1986
Club Player

No knee jerk reactions.... well thought out, considered decisions. But tough decisions, with the sole purpose of constant improvement to ONE goal: a flag.

And I’d surround myself by the best available. Not stupid enough to think I could do it all myself.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:02am I’m 32 - work in an accounting firm as a Senior Manager.

I am not rich, I dont drive a flashy car, and I’m just an everyday bloke who grew up in Lalor.

I dont have any great connections, but I do have contact with the family owners of one of our major sponsors.

I’d have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club.

Never been more passionate however about the St.Kilda and I’d make sure we as supporters are heard in the media and at the AFL like never before.

All I want is someone passionate to stand for the things all of our supporters do- the thing we have in common... which is the drug that is the Saints.

I want to see 80 year old grannies crying when we win a GF. I want to see my 58 year old Dad who was too young for 66 to do the same.

Only thing is; I havent been a member out of principal against this shocking regime, which i think many would hold against me.

Not a member? Then NO.

I don't know you from Adam and you want my trust? Dream on.

ss1986
Club Player

Would of course have to become a member Saynta.

And I’d tip in for all the prior years I haven’t been.

But one thing is for certain - you wouldn’t see me slumped in a chair looking bereft of ideas like our current leaders after a drubbing like that.

elizabethr
Club Player

No

nothing to say
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:30am Would of course have to become a member Saynta.

And I’d tip in for all the prior years I haven’t been.

But one thing is for certain - you wouldn’t see me slumped in a chair looking bereft of ideas like our current leaders after a drubbing like that.
It wasn't a good look was it?

Pride round FFS. The players certainly didn't display any pride in their jumper.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:02am I’m 32 - work in an accounting firm as a Senior Manager.

I don’t think it’s upto us. I think you’re better off courting Big Gil. AFL HQ will have a big say in who gets the reigns next IMO. All ready have.

We’re just a pawn, just poorly run department of a big multinational.

ss1986
Club Player

Agree with the comments above....

But someone needs to muck in and start somewhere!

I know many will laugh it off, or worse; but at least I’m willing to have a crack and change things up!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I imagine the Club has Rules for the conducting of general business, including the election of Board members.

Where can one get these Rules and can the Board be replaced by a bona fide democratic process?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would back you.

Trouble is the AFL will want to parachute one of their own boys club suck holes in.
Other problem is we need a huge pile of money to break free from AFL HQ control.

Essentially we are in receivership.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Go for it Con.
If nothing else, you'd probably learn just how difficult a proposition it is to turn around a club mired in a history of mediocrity.

Nee!
ss1986
Club Player

I can assure you I am absolutely not Con.

I do agree with him on almost everything it seems- but I promise I am not him.

No need for me to have more than one account. If there is any way I can prove it, let me know!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 3:24pm I can assure you I am absolutely not Con.

I do agree with him on almost everything it seems- but I promise I am not him.

No need for me to have more than one account. If there is any way I can prove it, let me know!
I hear you re boycotting membership. But the club needs money and membership numbers.

You could’ve taken out a 3 game membership (more as tokenism but still counts as being a member).

Sorry I don’t buy it on that basis alone, even if you want to pay for missed years.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 2:30pm I would back you.

Trouble is the AFL will want to parachute one of their own boys club suck holes in.
Other problem is we need a huge pile of money to break free from AFL HQ control.

Essentially we are in receivership.
They already have Dude.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We need either a comprehensive independent review or a new ticket who promise a comprehensive independent review.

Blind hope and stumbling along with the current Muppets is a pathway down Dantes inferno.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Ok well..

What exactly do you bring to the table?
What plan do you have?
What is the strategic financial plan that you have that will get us out of the red in say the next five years?
How will you increase membership?
How will you review the football departments and employees?
How will this all be financed?

What makes you better than the current batch of well funded AFL sycophants?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ss1986
Club Player

bigred wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:21pm Ok well..

What plan do you have?
What is the strategic financial plan that you have that will get us out of the red in say the next five years?

You were the first to provide me with feedback in my May post called 'Pleb's Presidential Plan to 2020' bigred.

But I re-post it here below.

I was given some strong feedback re: Pride Game and AFLW which I would revisit, but the other thoughts I have outlined are the basics of my plan. If it got serious, of course I would outline each of those plans in far greater details.

My key is; it all needs to be done on a shoe-string. I'd love to say "Get Al Clarkson for 7 years on A$10m"; but the sad reality is, that isn't going to happen. Trying to be a realist, and incrementally but steadily get this club back to where it belongs.

1. Relieve Alan Richardson of his present role.

We would pay him out for the duration of his existing contract (that should NEVER have been signed).

2. Install Adam Kingsley as full time coach until the end of Alan’s existing contract.

Net spend in this instance would therefore be zero, but-for the employment of an Assistant Coach at year’s end. THIS IS AN INTERIM MEASURE ONLY

3. At year end, seek the services of Lenny Hayes as Adam’s assistant.

Based on years of experience, reputation in the industry and experience with the current playing group, Adam gets the nod for me in the ‘proving period’ to the end of 2020. Lenny would bring his experience at GWS, and reinvigorate the supporter base. If Adam doesn’t work out by the end of 2020 (a tough gig), Lenny could be considered for the role.

4. Relieve Tony Elshaug of his role with immediate effect.

Recruitment/trade leader to be sought, under the instruction that the best players be sought and the best prices. All players are tradeable during the period, not a single player is off limits. We must become competitive in the immediate term through aggressive Moneyball-style trading; with a view to Free Agency kicking us on post-2020. This is an immediate priority – getting back to winning; whether we are in contention or not in the medium term. We MUST capture the supporter base back.

5. Employ the services of a full time sports psychologist to iron out these mental kinks in the current playing group.

6. Commission a top-to-tail review of the football department by a professional services firm.

This all encompassing review would be with a view to rejigging the current structure after 2020. No significant change could be done prior to then based on our financials. I would also employ the services of Leigh Matthews, Paul Roos or someone else well credentialed to oversee this process and report back to the Board.

7. Seek alignment with the City Group (or likewise).

This one is a bit ‘out-there’, but we must at least examine the possibility of external and significant investment. St.Kilda FC remains the biggest sporting challenge (my understanding is, the least successful sporting franchise based on titles won out of years in existence in the top flight). What a sporting story to be told. The marketing alone would be potentially enormous; and leveraging the likes of Eric Bana, Shane Warne and Molly Meldrum could be used in this capacity somehow to give the City Group a profile in the Entertainment, Sport and Music industry. I haven’t thought through this point enough to work out how we would demonstrate value sufficient for their investment, but at least a minimal $ injection would open up doors to premium facilities, tactical alignment and quality business practices.

8. Improve the match day experience.

On the soccer theme for a moment; increase member engagement through a cheer squad leader and series of chant-leading individuals across the wings at Etihad. IMAGINE ‘Oh when the Saints’ being sung in a long drawn out manner on GF day. Brings goosebumps thinking about it. A Liverpool-style YNWA, prior to the match would be intimidating and awe inspiring. We need to become more vocal, and remove the current childish atmosphere. Yes it is kid friendly, but it does nothing for the main target market who are clearly disenchanted with the sanitised football atmosphere. This kind of active section could be branded the 'Devils' or 'Sinners'.

9. Ticket-price scaling and increased membership option variety.

These clubs like Hawthorn and Richmond have so many members because dogs and 3 match memberships are included in the reporting. Start to portray St.Kilda as a BIG powerhouse through the discretionary membership reporting mechanisms. Inspire a big profile by talking like a big club.

10. To that end, develop Moorabbin with a view to being a boutique home so we can beat up on interstaters, Melbourne and North Melbourne at Moorabbin. If this could become a fortress; then we should be close to Top Four every year.

11. Increase fan participation in the running of the club through active feedback forums.

Run a session once a month or two at Moorabbin, to allow supporters to voice their opinions. At the moment, the supporter base has no voice and isn’t being heard.

12. Be a very VISIBLE president.

Do more media engagements including radio and TV; stand up for our club to the AFL as necessary, including opinions on umpiring/MRP, and ensure we aren’t walked all over like we always are. Our current invisibility and silence is deafening.

13. Finally – remove any affiliation with political, environmental or social issues.

This is a big one and some may disagree. But I would remove the Pride Game affiliation, and any other non-AFL driven recognition games. Sorry, but we are a football club, and our supporter base covers a broad church whether we like it or not. AFLW is already somewhat standalone with the ‘Southern Saints’ name, but the marketing on the St.Kilda Football Club website/facebook etc. would be limited to the Mens football team. A distinction would be drawn.

If you follow St.Kilda FC in the Red, White and Black, it is the male men’s football team. We would also not set the Board based on quotas or otherwise. KPIs would be set as part of the wide ranging review, and the structure of our football club would be based on a meritocracy. Companies such as Deloitte have already blown through the Diversity phase, and realised that that approach has failures systemic to it, and meritocracy, whether you are male, female, LGBTIQ or otherwise is the sole basis for promotions. If one day the best AFL coach proves to be a woman, then she will be the football coach of the St.Kilda FC. Until then, if it is 100% male; then so it is.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I remember your post.

I still cannot fathom why alignment with City group would be worthwhile.

They would take one look at our books and wind us up.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ss1986
Club Player

bigred wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:41pm I remember your post.

I still cannot fathom why alignment with City group would be worthwhile.

They would take one look at our books and wind us up.
I haven't been to the LaTrobe facilities for Melbourne City to know if the Moorabbin redevelopment would offer them something unique.

If there was; perhaps there's something we could explore. My thinking is more around having insight into proper management, mentoring, talent scouting, brand management/marketing learnings etc., rather than use their $$$.

They have successfully taken on the largest sporting enterprise in the world... and I am a MASSIVE Manchester United fan. It fascinates me how they are going about it. Yes it's all oil dollars driven, but the strategy behind it seems flawless in my opinion.

Just an outside-the-box thought.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:36pm

What plan do you have?

You were the first to provide me with feedback in my May post called 'Pleb's Presidential Plan to 2020' bigred.

I was given some strong feedback re: Pride Game and AFLW which I would revisit, but the other thoughts I have outlined are the basics of my plan. If it got serious, of course I would outline each of those plans in far greater details.

My key is; it all needs to be done on a shoe-string. I'd love to say "Get Al Clarkson for 7 years on A$10m"; but the sad reality is, that isn't going to happen. Trying to be a realist, and incrementally but steadily get this club back to where it belongs.

We would pay him out for the duration of his existing contract (that should NEVER have been signed).

2. Install Adam Kingsley as full time coach until the end of Alan’s existing contract.

Net spend in this instance would therefore be zero, but-for the employment of an Assistant Coach at year’s end. THIS IS AN INTERIM MEASURE ONLY

Based on years of experience, reputation in the industry and experience with the current playing group, Adam gets the nod for me in the ‘proving period’ to the end of 2020. Lenny would bring his experience at GWS, and reinvigorate the supporter base. If Adam doesn’t work out by the end of 2020 (a tough gig), Lenny could be considered for the role.

Recruitment/trade leader to be sought, under the instruction that the best players be sought and the best prices. All players are tradeable during the period, not a single player is off limits. We must become competitive in the immediate term through aggressive Moneyball-style trading; with a view to Free Agency kicking us on post-2020. This is an immediate priority – getting back to winning; whether we are in contention or not in the medium term. We MUST capture the supporter base back.

5. Employ the services of a full time sports psychologist to iron out these mental kinks in the current playing group.

6. Commission a top-to-tail review of the football department by a professional services firm.

This all encompassing review would be with a view to rejigging the current structure after 2020. No significant change could be done prior to then based on our financials. I would also employ the services of Leigh Matthews, Paul Roos or someone else well credentialed to oversee this process and report back to the Board.

This one is a bit ‘out-there’, but we must at least examine the possibility of external and significant investment. St.Kilda FC remains the biggest sporting challenge (my understanding is, the least successful sporting franchise based on titles won out of years in existence in the top flight). What a sporting story to be told. The marketing alone would be potentially enormous; and leveraging the likes of Eric Bana, Shane Warne and Molly Meldrum could be used in this capacity somehow to give the City Group a profile in the Entertainment, Sport and Music industry. I haven’t thought through this point enough to work out how we would demonstrate value sufficient for their investment, but at least a minimal $ injection would open up doors to premium facilities, tactical alignment and quality business practices.

On the soccer theme for a moment; increase member engagement through a cheer squad leader and series of chant-leading individuals across the wings at Etihad. IMAGINE ‘Oh when the Saints’ being sung in a long drawn out manner on GF day. Brings goosebumps thinking about it. A Liverpool-style YNWA, prior to the match would be intimidating and awe inspiring. We need to become more vocal, and remove the current childish atmosphere. Yes it is kid friendly, but it does nothing for the main target market who are clearly disenchanted with the sanitised football atmosphere. This kind of active section could be branded the 'Devils' or 'Sinners'.

These clubs like Hawthorn and Richmond have so many members because dogs and 3 match memberships are included in the reporting. Start to portray St.Kilda as a BIG powerhouse through the discretionary membership reporting mechanisms. Inspire a big profile by talking like a big club.

10. To that end, develop Moorabbin with a view to being a boutique home so we can beat up on interstaters, Melbourne and North Melbourne at Moorabbin. If this could become a fortress; then we should be close to Top Four every year.

11. Increase fan participation in the running of the club through active feedback forums.

Run a session once a month or two at Moorabbin, to allow supporters to voice their opinions. At the moment, the supporter base has no voice and isn’t being heard.

Do more media engagements including radio and TV; stand up for our club to the AFL as necessary, including opinions on umpiring/MRP, and ensure we aren’t walked all over like we always are. Our current invisibility and silence is deafening.

13. Finally – remove any affiliation with political, environmental or social issues.

This is a big one and some may disagree. But I would remove the Pride Game affiliation, and any other non-AFL driven recognition games. Sorry, but we are a football club, and our supporter base covers a broad church whether we like it or not. AFLW is already somewhat standalone with the ‘Southern Saints’ name, but the marketing on the St.Kilda Football Club website/facebook etc. would be limited to the Mens football team. A distinction would be drawn.

If you follow St.Kilda FC in the Red, White and Black, it is the male men’s football team. We would also not set the Board based on quotas or otherwise. KPIs would be set as part of the wide ranging review, and the structure of our football club would be based on a meritocracy. Companies such as Deloitte have already blown through the Diversity phase, and realised that that approach has failures systemic to it, and meritocracy, whether you are male, female, LGBTIQ or otherwise is the sole basis for promotions. If one day the best AFL coach proves to be a woman, then she will be the football coach of the St.Kilda FC. Until then, if it is 100% male; then so it is.
Can I ask why you think Adam Kingsley is the solution, as opposed to the cause?

And as for your final paragraph, what a load of ignorant s***.

ss1986
Club Player

Rodger,

I’d expect a review to help seek clarity as to who is the cause and who is the solution. But there needs to be an interim.

Not sure many are grasping the concept that we are financially rooted until these contracts expire.

As for my last paragraph- do tell, what is ignorant about it?

We didnt have a womens team until this year; the traditional means of following St.Kilda is through the mens team. I dont think that full amalgamation is the best focus of resources.

Other than that- a meritocracy that could one day see a woman installed as the head coach sounds perfectly acceptable to me.

So please do tell me the problem....

jaxons
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:36pm

What plan do you have?

This is one of the best posts I have ever seen on Saintsational. Well thought out and Amazingly accurate.
I mentioned in a previous post the murmurings are getting louder that some people I mooted who are smart, powerful, ruthless and passionate Saints people are getting restless.
These people are all over the issues and many raised in this brilliant post.
Change is coming.