'Fear of Missing Out' Syndrome

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

'Fear of Missing Out' Syndrome

I think footy fans are soft as these days.

Especially Saints fans. Especially many on here!

All I read is whine, whine, whine! "Whaa, I wanna flag!"

"Whaa, it's not fair!"

"Whaa, my Tigers mates have one. I want one too! Whaa!"

Come on you lot. Harden up.

In life, nothing is fair. No one deserves anything. Some of the hardest working, nicest people ever - don't get s***. Many of them never get what they want, nor what they deserve. On the flipside, plenty of s***, lazy fuckers end up with everything they want!

I get being critical of a club. They f****** deserve it. But man, can we let go of the 'I'm angry because everyone has a flag except me' thing?

Firstly, it's not your flag anyway. You've done f*** all. You watch other people do stuff, and live vicariously through them. Get some perspective. If this will change your life, or you think it will - that says more about you than it does about any sporting club!

Secondly, you don't deserve a flag. Just because you pick a team and they're no good - is not reason to melt down. They didn't let you down. They didn't disappoint you. You chose a team, and have no control whatsoever over anything that happens regarding them.

s*** man, the footy used to be about watching your team play. Hanging out with your mates, having a beer and yelling at strangers for 2 hours. Now it's become this FOMO scenario where if someone's team isn't competitive or doesn't win a flag it's like the world is ending!

Why do St Kilda deserve a flag? Why do you deserve a flag? They don't. You don't.

Footy used to be about the journey. Now it's become about the destination. And you've only got yourselves to blame for that.

/end rant.

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: 'Fear of Missing Out' Syndrome

Well said Rodger. Got a phone call last night from a friend who's daughter is extremely ill and things not looking good for her. Life is a journey with incredible ups and devastating downs but whatever ith throws at you your here for the ride not the final destination. I'll support my team not matter what the journey brings. At the end of it its just a game. More important things in life, like hugging your kids, as often as you can.

chico2001
Club Player

We like like success Fox...who doesnt? and a flag is the ultimate. When you cant see a way to that flag or light at the end of the tunnel well that's a real problem. That is what gets people angry. Big money goes into this club and they have to repay the supporters with success at some stage in the next 100 years. Why would you want to keep supporting failure?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Family, friends and work comes first. It always will. The footy is just a bit of fun at the true end of the day. Whilst I wish the Saints were playing finals every year and got a flag or two every couple of decades, it will never happen...well not at the moment anyway.

Everyone needs to kiss their missus or kids or pet dog when you get upset about the Saints. Don't let it take over you life in any way. We can never influence the end result each week.
Last edited by parkeysainter on Fri 15 Jun 2018 1:36pm, edited 2 times in total.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
The Craw
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 12:40pm I think footy fans are soft as these days.

Especially Saints fans. Especially many on here!

All I read is whine, whine, whine! "Whaa, I wanna flag!"

"Whaa, it's not fair!"

"Whaa, my Tigers mates have one. I want one too! Whaa!"

Come on you lot. Harden up.

In life, nothing is fair. No one deserves anything. Some of the hardest working, nicest people ever - don't get s***. Many of them never get what they want, nor what they deserve. On the flipside, plenty of s***, lazy fuckers end up with everything they want!

I get being critical of a club. They f****** deserve it. But man, can we let go of the 'I'm angry because everyone has a flag except me' thing?

Firstly, it's not your flag anyway. You've done f*** all. You watch other people do stuff, and live vicariously through them. Get some perspective. If this will change your life, or you think it will - that says more about you than it does about any sporting club!

Secondly, you don't deserve a flag. Just because you pick a team and they're no good - is not reason to melt down. They didn't let you down. They didn't disappoint you. You chose a team, and have no control whatsoever over anything that happens regarding them.

s*** man, the footy used to be about watching your team play. Hanging out with your mates, having a beer and yelling at strangers for 2 hours. Now it's become this FOMO scenario where if someone's team isn't competitive or doesn't win a flag it's like the world is ending!

Why do St Kilda deserve a flag? Why do you deserve a flag? They don't. You don't.

Footy used to be about the journey. Now it's become about the destination. And you've only got yourselves to blame for that.

/end rant.
For me Rog, it is not about success.

It’s about who I identify with.

St Kilda FC has lost its way ….. it is more focussed on its social engagement and moral compass than being a Football Club.

I get where it’s coming from, essentially it is it demographic. I like that the club is socially engaged and inclusive.

But at the end of the day it is a football club ….. and to me was a raw scoundrel of a club which however inept gave something back it supporters.

It doesn’t anymore.

It is supporters like me, whether the club likes it or not, will need to have to exist.

AFL in Victoria isn’t tribal anymore. Kids in any area can and will support any team, most of the time based on success.

What is St Kilda point of difference ……? I can’t see any.

Lose supporters like me who have influence over family, well the club is basically done and dusted.

The way it is heading, I just don’t think the club represents the reason I started supporting it.

Not Craw, CRAW!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I think its fair to say that most Saints supporters have well and truly worked through any lingering FOMO issues.
What you're seeing is fatigue bordering on exhaustion.
We have missed out every year since 1897 except once.

The relative importance of football to life is pertinent, if i can locate most of my disappointment in my footy team rather than other aspects....I guess that is pretty good.

Nee!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 1:14pm We like like success Fox...who doesnt? and a flag is the ultimate. When you cant see a way to that flag or light at the end of the tunnel well that's a real problem. That is what gets people angry. Big money goes into this club and they have to repay the supporters with success at some stage in the next 100 years. Why would you want to keep supporting failure?

At the risk of coming across as condescending and disrespectful, because everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it, your post is a case in point:
chico2001 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 1:14pm We like like success Fox...who doesnt? and a flag is the ultimate.
Of course. I love it when my team wins. I'm a mad Warriors fan in the NBA and take great pleasure in their success. And I'm gutted when they get rolled.....for about 15 minutes until I turn my attention back to my own life and the things that I can actually control.

It's their success - not yours. Perspective.
chico2001 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 1:14pm When you cant see a way to that flag or light at the end of the tunnel well that's a real problem. That is what gets people angry. Big money goes into this club and they have to repay the supporters with success at some stage in the next 100 years.
No - you don't buy shares in success in when you put money into a club. That's not how it works. You aren't being sold a flag or success, and then have the right to get angry when you don't get one! It just doesn't work like that. However I see more and more that footy fans, in particular Saints fans on here, seem to think it does.

You choose to put money in. No one forces you to. Putting money in does not guarantee you anything. It's a donation - nothing more. In return, you get a warm fuzzy feeling inside for about 10 minutes. That's it. Reality is, you're donating to huge entertainment industry that employs lots of people and gives the masses something to do on the weekends to distract them from their everyday lives.

This relatively new concept that 'I buy a membership therefore I should be getting something in return' is rubbish. It's a donation dude! You know what a donation is? It means you give something without f****** getting anything in return!!

That's the whole point of a donation!

chico2001 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 1:14pm Why would you want to keep supporting failure?
Because that's what supporting a club or team is all about. You ride the highs, and the lows. You don't know when, or if they're ever going to win the flag - and that's part of the process.

I barrack for West Ham in the soccer, and the freakin' Saints in the AFL FFS! I love watching them play, but if I was delusional enough to base my own self-esteem on what they do each weekend on the field - I'd be a deadset basket case.

I'm also a mad Storm fan, and as I said a Warriors fan in the NBA. Also follow Melbourne United and Victory.

Guess what? These teams being 'powerhouse' clubs and hugely successful hasn't changed my life.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 1:34pm

For me Rog, it is not about success.

It’s about who I identify with.

St Kilda FC has lost its way ….. it is more focussed on its social engagement and moral compass than being a Football Club.

I get where it’s coming from, essentially it is it demographic. I like that the club is socially engaged and inclusive.

But at the end of the day it is a football club ….. and to me was a raw scoundrel of a club which however inept gave something back it supporters.

It doesn’t anymore.

It is supporters like me, whether the club likes it or not, will need to have to exist.

AFL in Victoria isn’t tribal anymore. Kids in any area can and will support any team, most of the time based on success.

What is St Kilda point of difference ……? I can’t see any.

Lose supporters like me who have influence over family, well the club is basically done and dusted.

The way it is heading, I just don’t think the club represents the reason I started supporting it.

Very fair post.

However I would argue that pretty much all clubs in all professional sports have gone down this path. I don't think it's just a Saints thing. FWIW, I haven't felt 'connected' to the club itself really since they stopped playing home games at Moorabbin.

My OP was more aimed at the 'I want success because everyone else has it and it's not fair' people out there.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Fomo? what a complete load of crap. It's not FOMO at all, it is watching a beloved club be mishandled and abused that is killing our fans. I don't expect to win every game nor win a flag any time soon, but I do expect those that manage the club and players themselves treat the tri-colours with the respect it deserves. You run out with the crest on you play hard and to win. You train and train and train to get better, you put your head over the ball first and not wait for another to do it, you put your body on the line and you play for your team and they play for you. If you win, great, if not fans appreciate the effort even if the other team is better.

And as for not doing anything we turn up week in and week out and pay for the privilege. I assure you there are better places to be on a cold, wet winters night than sitting in a half filled stadium watching our beloved team play this putrid form of football that any self respecting vfl team would be embarrassed to trot out.

FOMO give me a break

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:19pm Fomo? what a complete load of crap. It's not FOMO at all, it is watching a beloved club be mishandled and abused that is killing our fans. I don't expect to win every game nor win a flag any time soon, but I do expect those that manage the club and players themselves treat the tri-colours with the respect it deserves. You run out with the crest on you play hard and to win. You train and train and train to get better, you put your head over the ball first and not wait for another to do it, you put your body on the line and you play for your team and they play for you. If you win, great, if not fans appreciate the effort even if the other team is better.

And as for not doing anything we turn up week in and week out and pay for the privilege. I assure you there are better places to be on a cold, wet winters night than sitting in a half filled stadium watching our beloved team play this putrid form of football that any self respecting vfl team would be embarrassed to trot out.

FOMO give me a break
What you've described isn't FOMO.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:23pm
Kind of the point. I don't think fans give a rats about Fear of missing out

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:29pm
rodgerfox wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 2:23pm
Kind of the point. I don't think fans give a rats about Fear of missing out
I think plenty do.

mordiboyz
Club Player

The odds don't justify the FOMO label. FOMO is when you don't do what is required and just expect things to land in your lap.

We have been contending every year since the VFL was inaugurated and we have only won a single premiership in 120+ years. Richo makes sure the players are aware of that statistic.

Bottom Line.

I expect St Kilda to win a premiership.

Mediocrity not accepted.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

mordiboyz wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 3:05pm The odds don't justify the FOMO label. FOMO is when you don't do what is required and just expect things to land in your lap.

We have been contending every year since the VFL was inaugurated and we have only won a single premiership in 120+ years. Richo makes sure the players are aware of that statistic.

Bottom Line.

I expect St Kilda to win a premiership.

Mediocrity not accepted.
No, FOMO means that you think you're entitled to something because others have it. It's a fear of missing out.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

First a post of Grand Final loss videos, now a post telling us to not want a premiership. This place is weird and ugly these days. Bit like our team.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 3:14pm First a post of Grand Final loss videos, now a post telling us to not want a premiership. This place is weird and ugly these days. Bit like our team.
I didn't say not to want a premiership.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The fans aren't sheep and we aren't stupid. The members want a return for their passion and their support. What's wrong with that?

Just like shareholders, we will vote you off the board and demand personnel changes if the current board and coach and playing list doesn't provide a dividend

The didvidend is more 'hope' and the chance to play finals as far as fans and members are concerned, but sponsors want a return for their dollars with bums on seats and maximium coverage of their logos. Without the corporate dollars the club can't invest in the footy department. Without the on field success the worse the financial position and the further we fall behind other teams.

That's why it's not enough to just turn up and barrack. Without on field success over a long period of time you become irrelevant and risk amalgamation or relocation.

It's not FOMO. It's survival and it's calling out incompetence.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 3:53pm
Just like shareholders, we will vote you off the board and demand personnel changes if the current board and coach and playing list doesn't provide a dividend

I don't agree with the analogy.

It's not like buying shares. You don't own anything, and don't get any return.

It's a donation. If you buy seats, you're not buying shares. You're literally paying for a seat to watch the game.

This idea that supporters deserve success is just absolute nonsense.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'll whinge and moan as much as I like and I'll also get angry.
And I "DO" deserve a flag. Have I done anything to deserve it? 35 years member to pay the barstards I invariably live through. Heavily involved in the SOS campaign to save the club from extinction as well as buying the "shares" etc.

Donation ? or investment ? when you are a member you are doing more than just buy a seat..you become part of the club, vote and install those in power to perform well.

and even it was a donation and I kept getting nothing in return , why donate. some dedicate their lives to it so it runs deeper than just buying a seat.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 4:04pm
Scollop wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 3:53pm

I don't agree with the analogy.

It's not like buying shares. You don't own anything, and don't get any return.

It's a donation. If you buy seats, you're not buying shares. You're literally paying for a seat to watch the game.

This idea that supporters deserve success is just absolute nonsense.
When did I say we 'deserve' success? Not sure you understood the points I made or perhaps you're being argumentative just to reiterate your OP. I think we as supporters and members deserve evidence that the club has a chance to play finals and steps towards sustained success. There is a difference isn't there?

The last 2 paragraphs I wrote expand on the analogy.

Why didn't you quote the bit about survival of the club?

People who pretend that everything is ok and everything is 'on track' soon find themselves out of a job. We can't get new sponsors if we don't perform and marketing $$ will dry up. Fans, members and supporters are willing to give people a chance to prove they are worthy of serving the club, but as employees, they have KPI's to hit and there is a limited time to achieve them.

happy feet
Club Player

Roger, your post is one of the dumbest ones I have ever read. FOMO? You're kidding!
Yes, compared to the struggles of life the performance of a football team is a small thing. But to brush off our clubs under performance, lack of premierships and the reaction of supporters as being unhappy as FOMO I seriously wonder what planet you are on. Perhaps you should rename yourself Galaxy - your not even in the same solar system let alone planet.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

You can post all the logical posts you like Rog, but the bottom line is that sports fans aren't logical. the passion is completely illogical. that's what makes it great. I recall walking into the G before the 2010 GF so nervous it felt like I was about to burst. I remember thinking 'why the hell do I care so much what happens today? I have no relatives or friends playing, no real investment in anything other than years of barracking for the team and buying a membership.' But I did care, ridiculously. Otherwise why stand up and roar when BJ takes a great mark in the last quarter that puts us ahead in the game? I mean, really, who cares if he took the mark. Why scream hysterically? It doesn't affect my life surely? In fact it does affect my life and 100's of thousands of others who are invested emotionally in the outcome. If supporters weren't irrational then no-one would buy a membership and go to games in the middle of the day when they have other things on. I laugh at the 'I deserve a flag mentality' too, however I love the irrational passion. As soon as we start looking at the whole thing rationally and realise , it's just a game, that's when we stop attending and bothering with the whole thing. I recall after the 09 GF I was seated with my best mate who barracks for the saints. He had tears streaming down his face and went to the toilets to compose himself. He was shattered because he bumped into my wife and daughter who were making their way up into the stands to see how we were coping. I often get irrational texts from him re the saints. I get frustrated, but I love them.

If we can't rant irrationally on a faceless forum about our frustrations, where can we rant? It's those that fail to separate the reality from the fantasy of supporting the best team in the world that have issues. ie those that start swearing and abusing at the footy, becoming aggressive twds those all around us because the fantasy isn't coming true.

I have resigned myself to the fact that it's a distinct possibility that I will never see the saints win a flag. I am 48 yrs old. But I will live in hope and continue to get frustrated, angry, and demand better. I may even say that I deserve a flag (when I know I don't) In reality there's probably about a dozen things I would wish for before the saints winning a flag. I'm not sure we need to temper our expectations or our passion though or we will go under....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nice post Fox.

You can’t live your life through your sporting team. It will only end in tears.

Anyway, the Doggy supporters I know don’t look so peachy now.

Not sure about the last point. A bit too sentimental, though understand what you mean in this day and age of instant gratification.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 7:06pm Roger, your post is one of the dumbest ones I have ever read. FOMO? You're kidding!
Yes, compared to the struggles of life the performance of a football team is a small thing. But to brush off our clubs under performance, lack of premierships and the reaction of supporters as being unhappy as FOMO I seriously wonder what planet you are on. Perhaps you should rename yourself Galaxy - your not even in the same solar system let alone planet.
That's not entirely accurate.

I didn't brush off under performance etc.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 6:51pm I think we as supporters and members deserve evidence that the club has a chance to play finals and steps towards sustained success. There is a difference isn't there?

No!

You don't deserve anything!!

Are you for real?? You choose to barrack for a team, and you think that this means you deserve something as a result?? Seriously, think about that for a second.