We are getting pick 4 or 5

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We are getting pick 4 or 5

I can't see us finishing below Carlton or Brisbane. Probably not Gold Coast either now.

At a stretch, we may just finish above the Bulldogs and we aren't going past Freo or the Bombers if we are fairdinkum about the rest of the season.

So, we are looking at pick 4 or 5. Sam Walsh please. Starred today for Vic Country.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: We are getting pick 4 or 5

I'll be surprised if he is still there at Pick 4 let alone 5 but he will be a great player based on current form

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We won't be getting Walsh who should go top 3 and if we finish 5th we probably don't get Smith either as I can see the Bullies snagging him along with West with a later pick

We play Bulldogs in Round 20 and that could be the Pick 4 / 5 Cup

Games left I can see us with a decent chance of winning (providing we get some players back) - Carlton Giants Bulldogs Essendon Hawks and North

Bulldogs have Hawks Saints North Carlton as half decent winning chances

Gold Coast have about 3 or 4 but harder for them you would think

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Agree with you Devilhead, we are not a monty to win any of our games for the rest of the year, but we are a chance of winning as many as another four. Doubt we'll win all of them going on exposed form (giving away match winning leads etc), but there are very few games that we are no chance in. Reckon we might have a few disappointments though, younger players tire during July, before getting their second wind in the final few rounds.
We'll finish third last and end up with pick #3 I'd reckon.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 7:25pm We won't be getting Walsh who should go top 3 and if we finish 5th we probably don't get Smith either as I can see the Bullies snagging him along with West with a later pick

Games left I can see us with a decent chance of winning (providing we get some players back) - Carlton Giants Bulldogs Essendon Hawks and North

Lol. The Pick 4/5 Cup!

Whether its pick 1 to 5, they will be a gun in any case. Future R Harvey or C Judd.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SuperDuper
Club Player

If GC lose Lynch as a free agent we could get pushed out to pick 5/6 depending on the Bulldogs and their form/fixture/game against us

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SuperDuper wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 8:35pm If GC lose Lynch as a free agent we could get pushed out to pick 5/6 depending on the Bulldogs and their form/fixture/game against us
Very true. He is worth a 1st rounder. They will get a compo pick after their 1st rounder.

Tommyj
Club Player

Who fkn cares we should be supporting the blokes we have now McCartin billings & Co you'll only complain no mater who we take, I can't wait for McCartin to come of age so you can eat your b,,s***

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

regardless of who we get, if he doesn't cure cancer, walk across water or at the very least win the rising star, brownlow and our B & F in his first year will be considered a spud on this site

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 9:15pm regardless of who we get, if he doesn't cure cancer, walk across water or at the very least win the rising star, brownlow and our B & F in his first year will be considered a spud on this site
Not with every poster MadDog.

Crossy66
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 9:33pm
BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 9:15pm regardless of who we get, if he doesn't cure cancer, walk across water or at the very least win the rising star, brownlow and our B & F in his first year will be considered a spud on this site
Not with every poster MadDog.
+2

suss
Club Player

I can’t see Carlton winning any more games - ditto for Gold Coast - but Brisbane are playing some okay football and they may jag some more wins.

I also can’t see us beating anyone other than Carlton and I reckon we’ll end up with pick 3. Dogs, North, and the Dopers all look way better than us.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Stuff that talk.

What I want to see is a rookie selection next year make it as a regular player.

THAT is the sign of success, much more so then picking a top ten pick that becomes a player.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 24 Jun 2018 7:25pm We won't be getting Walsh who should go top 3 and if we finish 5th we probably don't get Smith either as I can see the Bullies snagging him along with West with a later pick

This sadly
We’ll end up missing on what we really need but at least we beat Carlton cause that’s what really matters....

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

5th seems the most likely scenario right now, with Brisbane, Carlton and Gold Coast plus a compensation pick below us. If the Kings, Lukosius and Walsh are off the board by our pick that leaves plenty of talent to choose from. I don't think Hately and Smith are far behind Walsh in terms of mids. Rankine is probably the most skilled player in the draft. Collier-Dawkins in intriguing as a Cripps sized mid.

For me, the big question is still development. North were running Ahern through the middle in his third game in critical stages with a top-8 spot on the line. We're running all our old guys through the middle so we can beat Gold Coast in a meaningless match. If Richo's still in charge and we somehow get Walsh, we're probably using his speed to generate pressure in the forward line. If he can get a game over Mav, that is.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

There are still plenty of good mids to pick up. Pies picked up Stephenson at pick 5 for example. We got just as good kids at pick 7 and 8.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

At three quarter time against the Suns how could anyone seriously predict even one more win for the side? I guess players will come back from injury and Clark looks to be improving but I think we would have to catch a side really down on form to win another and get the rub of the green. Very interested in how we turn up for the next game against Melbourne. Melbourne should be ferocious, it has a class ruckman and is well coached. Almost an identical template as the Saints has, don't you think. AFL will be pressuring for Lynch to stay at the Suns for at least one more year. I wouldn't give up on pick 2 just yet.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

on form the only game we look a chance is the carlton matchup. i'd expect up to finish 16th at best. and quite likely also at worst.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SMS
Club Player

pick 5 or 6
We will get a King Brother after failing to land gaff, sloane or shiel or anyone

and the circus will continue. then rankine (the next pick after ours) will become rising star and brownlow gun. while the king brother we choose turns into spencer white. All show no go. bookmark it.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

A bit unfair there. I haven't seen many if any bad things written about Coffield, Hunter, Oscar Clavarino or Ben Paton as individual players. There were negative comments written about picking 3 defenders when we need mids but that is a different argument. Year before it was Ben Long, Ed Phillips and Josh Battle. Again mostly positive comments.

Most negative comments come from players not developing as we hoped as they were high picks and other clubs lower picks being better. I.e Paddy is rarely in the top 10 players from his draft when it is reviewed. Injuries aside he hasn't lived up to expectations. Yet. Same with Billings who is so out of form he went back to the VFL. They may and hopefully will come good but you are allowed to not be happy with a player if they are not playing well

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 9:09am There are still plenty of good mids to pick up. Pies picked up Stephenson at pick 5 for example. We got just as good kids at pick 7 and 8.
Walsh best in draft what we need
No more second rate cloggers
Need elite
Not interested in compromise

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 1:17pm
A bit unfair there. I haven't seen many if any bad things written about Coffield, Hunter, Oscar Clavarino or Ben Paton as individual players. There were negative comments written about picking 3 defenders when we need mids but that is a different argument. Year before it was Ben Long, Ed Phillips and Josh Battle. Again mostly positive comments.

Most negative comments come from players not developing as we hoped as they were high picks and other clubs lower picks being better. I.e Paddy is rarely in the top 10 players from his draft when it is reviewed. Injuries aside he hasn't lived up to expectations. Yet. Same with Billings who is so out of form he went back to the VFL. They may and hopefully will come good but you are allowed to not be happy with a player if they are not playing well

Just on a side note....I noticed that De Goey has played 60 games whilst McCartin has still only played 33.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Santa, can we have a ruckman for Christmas, as a stocking filler.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 1:27pm
parkeysainter wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 9:09am There are still plenty of good mids to pick up. Pies picked up Stephenson at pick 5 for example. We got just as good kids at pick 7 and 8.
Walsh best in draft what we need
No more second rate cloggers
Need elite
Not interested in compromise
Agree we need elite , but not worth tanking to get him.
Damage to the psyche and the culture is too great.
Likely to get pick 4 as the OP said. Bulldogs are better than us so will probably beat us. Gold Coast will rally for one more win and so will Lions.

We could possibly get pick 3.

If we end up with pick 2 ...do we take Lukosius if hes there?

Nee!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 1:31pm Santa, can we have a ruckman for Christmas, as a stocking filler.
Unfortunately, I think we already have enough stocking filler ruckman. Ours are the equivalent of that straw stuff you get in corporate Christmas hampers.

Go you red, black & white warriors