Tackling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Tackling

Our new tackling coach seems to be reaping dividends for his efforts.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Tackling

saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 7:11pm Our new tackling coach seems to be reaping dividends for his efforts.
They laid some big tackles last night. Dunstan smashed some Blues player on the wing. Its good to see some of the kids getting bigger like Dunstan and Steele.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
wally
Club Player

I wonder if its a directive to actually tackle, for a while they intent seemed to "corral"
or "guard space" which didn't seem to work.

Club Player

wally wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 8:11pm I wonder if its a directive to actually tackle, for a while they intent seemed to "corral"
or "guard space" which didn't seem to work.
It has always seemed somewhat moronic to guard space. One of those nonsense statements that seems to convey a strategic plan, but when you tease it apart - let's guard that part of the ground where there is no opposition player!
The consequence - they will out number us where the action is!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 8:11pm I wonder if its a directive to actually tackle, for a while they intent seemed to "corral"
or "guard space"
which didn't seem to work.

The "corral" (which was mainly just standing there waving one's arms about) has been my pet hate for years.

Most of the time all that happened was that the player being corralled, waved at,was given enough time to give off a considered disposal.

Whereas if you go the tackle immediately even if the tackle does not work, the player with the ball has to rush their disposal.

Our ability to actually make the tackle stick seemed to have radically improved. Let's hope it was not just due to it being the Blue's but due to newly coached technique and commitment to tackle well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Let’s see how we go against the Tigers.

The Port game brought us back to earth with a shuddering halt. Carlton don’t count as they are shyte.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 7:11pm Our new tackling coach seems to be reaping dividends for his efforts.
seems to be really helping with being positive and strong in the contest. 8-)

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 11:16am
or "guard space"

The "corral" (which was mainly just standing there waving one's arms about) has been my pet hate for years.

Most of the time all that happened was that the player being corralled, waved at,was given enough time to give off a considered disposal.

Whereas if you go the tackle immediately even if the tackle does not work, the player with the ball has to rush their disposal.

Our ability to actually make the tackle stick seemed to have radically improved. Let's hope it was not just due to it being the Blue's but due to newly coached technique and commitment to tackle well.
Couldn’t agree more with your views on this. Corralling opposition players just allows them time to manoeuvre and spot up a pass, whereas tackling immediately puts them under pressure, which is more likely to result in a turnover by them or incorrect disposal. Corralling is counter intuitive.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spud wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 3:03pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 11:16am
or "guard space"

Couldn’t agree more with your views on this. Corralling opposition players just allows them time to manoeuvre and spot up a pass, whereas tackling immediately puts them under pressure, which is more likely to result in a turnover by them or incorrect disposal. Corralling is counter intuitive.
The ideas meant to be that rather than rush directly at an opponent, especially one your unlikely to be able to tackle successfully, and let them either move around onto their preferred side, beat you directly and run into space, or do a dinky one two with a nearby teammate... you move them into a position that’s less than ideal for them to pass from then close the space forcing them to pass under pressure essentially minimising the chances of a good play.

Why players would think just standing there waiting makes sense boggles the mind