PR Issues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

PR Issues

As we limp into another off-season with not so much as a rise in our heartbeats or a pinch of pride from this season, I need to ask what is our PR team doing?
All you need to do is read this site, Facebook, Twitter etc to realise that it is a very real chance that our membership numbers could drop by 5-10k as the population grows increasingly unhappy.
What is the club doing to combat this?

The Season is done.

Let's forget about what has happened and start looking to what we can do in the next few weeks to lift our brand.
Clearly, winning is the best way to increase popularity but let's be honest we may win 1 or 2 more games but that's not enough.
Let's get a start on next year! Now! Not in November, not in February, NOW!

I know some of you are thinking right at this point "You can't put Lipstick on a Pig" but I'm here to tell you in marketing that is the most bollocks comment going around.
Absolutely, you can..... just look at the Fidget Spinner craze. That took off purely based on Marketing. It had nothing to do with the fact it was a poorly designed gadget that fell apart.

So where do we start?
Easy, let's build excitement, not around the whole team but around individuals. We have an absolute excitement machine running around in the number 4 Jumper at the moment.
We need to build our foundations around him. It was disappointing after the Melbourne game he wasn't paraded out to every media outlet. Actually everything after that game was disappointing everything was more about Melbourne than us.
How does a PR team let that happen.
Gresham, is young and talented and should be seen as a role model for all undersized kids hoping to play the game. He needs to be the face of the club.

The club did well promoting the Carlton game with cheap tickets, level 1 seating etc. but unless you were subscribed to their email list or happened to visit the website you would never have known.
Also, when yo got there you were presented with the first 6 rows on level 3 put aside for Carlton Members.... excuse me? Carlton?
Why is this a once off?

Without starting a cat fight.......... we need to play Freeman, but it needs to be a home game. This is a free publicity stunt that WILL generate bums on seats.

Where are all the good news stories? Where are the players running workshops in local schools? Does this happen? where is the media around it?

Do you remember a few weeks ago when Mason Cox visited the sick kid in hospital? Apparently, the kids mum had tweeted something about Cox and the next day Cox is there with a whole bunch of stuff.
Who do you reckon made that happen? I can tell you the Filth media PR department were all over it and how do you think it hit the media?

Recently, I received an email inviting me to watch this weeks game at Moorabbin and to get a tour of the facility as I have been a member for over 30 years. A nice gesture, sure, but you are aiming at the wrong people.
It's more than likely that people who have been members for that long will continue their service.

Where are all the people on here? This place was huge 10 years ago, sure majority of that was because we were winning but where are they? St Kilda need to be back in the forefront of peoples minds, even when we struggle on field.

We need to generate a reason for people to come to the footy again, even when we are losing.
We are a nothing side both on and off the field, but we don't need to be.

Sorry for the rant.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: PR Issues

I think the phrase you're looking for is "you can't polish a turd.....but you can roll it in glitter."

spert
Saintsational Legend

Good to discuss these things. For me, this would be one of the few seasons in my long supporting history, where I have totally lost interest(as have many long-term Sainters I know). No standout players -a few cameos from Gresham is as close as it gets, the standard of football we play is low quality and error-ridden, and we have the worst performing coach in the comp for the time he has been at the helm, and I really don't see a lot of upside in our list.

From the business/ PR end of things, we seem to be slowly disappearing from view- our brand is almost transparent. Seems to be a total lack of inspiration, confidence and strength displayed generally. Sumner and the board have driven the club to this and have really gone up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Don't know what to say other than that sadly...

Saint wagga
Club Player

spert wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 3:09pm Good to discuss these things. For me, this would be one of the few seasons in my long supporting history, where I have totally lost interest(as have many long-term Sainters I know). No standout players -a few cameos from Gresham is as close as it gets, the standard of football we play is low quality and error-ridden, and we have the worst performing coach in the comp for the time he has been at the helm, and I really don't see a lot of upside in our list.

From the business/ PR end of things, we seem to be slowly disappearing from view- our brand is almost transparent. Seems to be a total lack of inspiration, confidence and strength displayed generally. Sumner and the board have driven the club to this and have really gone up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Sadly completely agree with the above. There is just so little to work with. I really dislike the 'Freeman' story which keeps getting oxygen, will he play, wont he play - it's irrelevant. This kid isn't the messiah and will likely not make it. It's an ongoing distraction from our onfield problems, and i dont want any focus taken away from the glaring issues that need fixing. Our coach gives absolutely nothing to work with. I'm finding this year harder to stomach than Watter's last year. team selection is baffling, injuries have been shocking and will affect our ability to offload players with some small currency. Barely a handful fo players have shown meaninglful improvement when most are in their window to show good year on year improvement.

wolfpup
Club Player

spert wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 3:09pm Good to discuss these things. For me, this would be one of the few seasons in my long supporting history, where I have totally lost interest(as have many long-term Sainters I know). No standout players -a few cameos from Gresham is as close as it gets, the standard of football we play is low quality and error-ridden, and we have the worst performing coach in the comp for the time he has been at the helm, and I really don't see a lot of upside in our list.

Its interesting, I feel very similar. Getting the kids to the game is tough now as we are always losing and they have had enough of it (3 wins they have seen live in 2 years and yes its down to luck and other commitments ). The other thing is with Roo and Joey gone, the other player they identified with was Josh Bruce but he has been injured all year as well.

I dont think i would ever lose interest in my saints, but i have turned off some games for the first time and have found this year just exhausting as an avid supporter.

my concern is that the younger generation are losing interest and the next wave of sainters are not as abundant as they used to be.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

As a 40+ year member I can't remember a more disappointing season or a bleaker outlook.

I really fear for our club now. We have a very average list with no stars, no leaders, and no toughness. Our admin, board, and football departments are largely anonymous and bland, with no inspiring or strong leaders.

Our membership will drop dramatically next year placing a bigger strain on our finances. I for one won't be buying multiple memberships, sponsoring a player, or contributing to Moorabbin development next year.

Our 5 year plan was going to make us proud of our club. I am certainly not proud and really can't see any blue sky.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I actually think PR is what is sending man kind backwards, when you break it down PR is essentially a fancy word and approach to lying. Noam Chomsky has some interesting views on PR and how it has negatively impacted human evolution since the age of industrialisation. But I digress, "building excitement" is arguably one of the things the club could of managed better over the past season or so.

And isn't hindsight a wonderful thing however I think we can safely conclude "building excitement" was over-cooked for this year albeit and arguably we might have gone a little closer to meeting the built excitement had some luck with injuries gone our way. And if we've got to have PR then on that point this is where good PR plans should factor in contingencies like what happens if we have a horror run with injuries in a very young team, and what happens if we take a season or so to adjust after the departure of a once-in-a-generation player.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 3:09pm I think the phrase you're looking for is "you can't polish a turd.....but you can roll it in glitter."
Short and sweet

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it's not looking good. I think another two wins is about the best result we can finish with. which would have us ending with a paltry 6 wins and 1 draw. Last year we finished with 11 wins and that was below expectations. If Nathan Freeman isn't going to be selected this week, he must be selected next week. Apart from that, I'm not sure what ideas the PR department could put together to make it more appealing for fans to attend games until the end of the season. Maybe merchandise bobbleheads? :?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

We’ve tried half price tickets or game tickets on back of shopper dockets....
We stink
Terrible season but worse than that is in previous we had hope....a young lost some genuine A grade quality to look forward to
We don’t now

“Yeah….nah””
leighsaintsince66
Club Player

I agree with most of the sentiments.
The PR people are probably trying their hardest but for the most part, the saints class of 2018 have lost me. My kids are losing interest and passion for the first time in their 17 years, as I am after 52 years.
I don't have an easy answer to our woes, but I believe sadly, that nice guys and nice footy clubs don't usually win the contest. Too much focus on social and other PC issues.
I even found it hard to watch Greg Hunt last Friday night. Love the cause with passion....$1m is fantastic. Do it quietly is my take.
Great PR for the Liberal Party I guess.

On another note. Even made a trip to Vic Roads this week to purchase regular number plates. Am done with the Saints custom plates for now. Who cares anyway

The Craw
Club Player

How about just trying to play football ...... we are a football club after all.

Not Craw, CRAW!
spert
Saintsational Legend

There's one big thing missing at St Kilda.."Inspiration"..on and off the field. I would hate trying to market the club right now.

Ape_Man
Club Player

The PR department should be working overtime at the minute.

Wait, do we have one?

Anyway, this is when they should be earning their pay slips. It's when we are struggling on the field they need to make us relevant. It's easy if the team is flying, that creates a buzz all on its own.

This was part of what I wrote in my thread. We should be creating interest for fans, and non-fans, as often as possible.

Sanctorum
Club Player

St Kilda has been struggling in the PR field for years now. It is most evident in the club's inability to attract a big name sponsor, and whilst we have to respect the commitment of the current club sponsors, not one of them is exactly a "household name". I don't know what RSEA are paying for the naming rights of Moorabbin, but I doubt that there are very many supporters who have heard of them, or would know what they do.

I have long considered it quite ironic that St Kilda has a lot of high media profile supporters, but as far as I know not one of them has been instrumental (maybe never asked) to wield their influence to get a well know national brand on board. St Kilda also has the Fox Family with the strongest possible connections to the club, and every time when I'm driving and "passing another Fox" truck I think of how good it would be if St Kilda could be linked with that company on the trucks signage.

This is a matter that demands a high priority on the Board's agenda because they need to urgently come up with ways to elevate the club's profile in the local and national media, with regular stories of what the team and individual players are doing to serve the community.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
milney044
Club Player

I am in the same boat with regard to how flat i feel about the team at the moment. I think our biggest problem is, all our players are the same. They play the same, move the same, act the same. Besides Gresham and Steven, there is no excitement and no flair. No one that gets under the opposition's skin, no one that celebrates a goal, no one capable of taking mark of the year. Honestly, our players are just blah.

I don't know if they are coached to be this way or that's just who they are. I guess injuries haven't helped us but even when we sucked in the early 2000s you could still go to the footy and not know what antics Milne would get up to, if Gtrain would kick a bag or even what hairstyle Everitt would run out with.
Now, you go to games and you know what you're going to get. Same old same old. I leave games now before the 3rd qtr is even done. I NEVER used to do this purely for fear of missing something. Milney might kick a freak goal, Bakes might take someone out, Roo might do something special... you just couldn't risk leaving early! I used to feel so guilty leaving early too, but now i just don't even care. It's sad but it's true.
As bad as Carlton are at the moment at least they have a Cripps and a Curnow that draw a crowd. I find i even enjoy watching these type players more than our own players these days which is saying something...

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
ace
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 1:07pm How about just trying to play football ...... we are a football club after all.
Damn, I thought we were an equal rights club.
Surely Saint Kilda was the patron saint of equal rights.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 3:53pm I actually think PR is what is sending man kind backwards, when you break it down PR is essentially a fancy word and approach to lying. Noam Chomsky has some interesting views on PR and how it has negatively impacted human evolution since the age of industrialisation. But I digress, "building excitement" is arguably one of the things the club could of managed better over the past season or so.
Bill Hicks on marketing comes to mind also.

Nee!
chico2001
Club Player

I still watch every game til the end but by god the club is woeful at the minute. They need some major inspiration from somewhere....but where?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Sam Mitchell

Nee!
resaintlee
Club Player

We need a larger than life character to oversee the football dept. Someone to do the Balme role, Danny Frawley type but someone who can be taken seriously to project the club into the community.

Mentioned before about dropping numbers on this site. If Saintsationalists could accept we are a COMMUNITY of Saints supporters and that not all community members will think alike on many things, we are here because of the bond that draws us together. At the games we sit with fellow supporters around us, some of whom speak and behave in ways we may not really like, but in the main, this goes through to the keeper because we are there for the same reason....we are a community of St Kilda supporters. We speak civilly to each other, young or old. Eric discusses the game with you on the escalator. The rich and the poor, the smart and the smelly, we all make up part of this wonderful Saints community.

resaintlee
Club Player

Obviously I have done it again. I have stopped more threads than I have ever received return comments.
Currently it looks like I'd better keep my thoughts to myself.

seano1
Club Player

to be honest i have a flexi membership and i haven't bothered to use it this year and probably wont bother next year and before i get attacked for not being a true supporter i do live a couple of hours away and nothing has inspired me to get off my arse and go . The major problem as i see it has been the running of the most important part of the club till a month or two ago.....recruitment and development dept. This area should have been looked at ever year in to what they bring have brought to the club and where the list is at. We have a young ruckman playing at Frankston....big deal he isn`t go to make it let him go ,this should have happened a year ago, we have 2 irishmen now a few other clubs have them aswell but theirs are playing regular senior games...ours well who knows. Now coaching.....get rid of most of the assistant coaches get new ones . And finally were screwed the coach is coaching for his future great but he has signed for another couple of years .....so play all the ones you wont give a game too let them show what they have or haven`t if they are crap trade them or delist them. as for PR mmmmm it hangs on what you can promote for next year and at this stage it's very little except same old crap list.........and get Trout right out of the club wouldn`t have him licking the envelopes

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Is Trout still influencing any list management or recruiting decisions at Moorabbin? Has he been fully transitioned out or not?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/15/ ... at-saints/

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-06-1 ... ent-change

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

IluvHarvey wrote: Wed 25 Jul 2018 2:53pmDo you remember a few weeks ago when Mason Cox visited the sick kid in hospital? Apparently, the kids mum had tweeted something about Cox and the next day Cox is there with a whole bunch of stuff.
Who do you reckon made that happen? I can tell you the Filth media PR department were all over it and how do you think it hit the media?
Yes, we need our PR ponytails to comb the Royal Childrens Hospital and find a kiddy with a terminal disease from a hardluck story family, bribe the parent(s)/guardian with a few guest passes, then burst in on the child with a few of The Jacks as well as 3 or 4 camera crews, give them a signed footy and a few toys, lots of poses and smiles for the 6pm bulletins and then out of there all within 5 mins.

That should give us a nice PR boost without taking up too much time, effort and expense.
Could repeat every couple of weeks.
Preferably try to tick a few diversity boxes as well - a Sudanese girl on a drip would look perfect.

Make our ponytails work for their skinny almond milk macchiatos.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!