Matt Finnis CEO

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BenLong#21
Club Player

Matt Finnis CEO

Matt Finnis appointed March 2014.

Results since:

18th
14th
9th
11th
15th

How is he traveling do we all think?

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Matt Finnis CEO

In fairness i think his performance should be based around the following things:

- membership numbers
- Profit/Loss
- Net Asset /Debt position

- Performance of staff below.

Don't know the answers to these points but to be fair Coach /recruiters and players are the ones who ladder placings are judged on

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 4:18pm Matt Finnis appointed March 2014.

Results since:

18th
14th
9th
11th
15th

How is he traveling do we all think?
I think he's got his toilet facilities sorted, other than that, i don't know what he does or how successfully he does it. :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BenLong#21
Club Player

2019 memberships are going to drop off a cliff unless there is major change.

Matt also needs to shoulder most of the blame for the Richo contract extension. I can only assume he made a submission to the Board recommending the extension.
That is a $500,000 + loss he can take credit for.

Match day attendances and TV audiences have already fallen off a cliff this season.

Surely the buck stops with the CEO ad the Board.

The club is in a deep hole on and off field.

BenLong#21
Club Player

Kind of worries me that so many on this forum are impressed by somebody like Matt Finnis and are afraid to call him out.

A slick spiv used car salesman in a suit.

This kind of blow-in-blow-out spiv is the reason we only have 1 flag in 130 years.

lintonstreet
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:28pm Kind of worries me that so many on this forum are impressed by somebody like Matt Finnis and are afraid to call him out.

This kind of blow-in-blow-out spiv is the reason we only have 1 flag in 130 years.
Disgraceful comment.

I know Matt well and he's not only the complete opposite to your comment but not only the best CEO we have ever have but completely devoid of an ego.

Moderators should ban you for this slur.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:28pm Kind of worries me that so many on this forum are impressed by somebody like Matt Finnis and are afraid to call him out.

He’s very, very bright and very good at what he does. But he’s never been a club CEO and it is showing, Matt is a shrewd negotiator and corporate lawyer and is largely dispassionate.

He’s done very well getting us out of Seaford and our corporate sponsorships are now in a much stronger position.

Credit where credit is due.

The Richo extension is solely on his shoulders. This is a massive fail. Extraordinary misread. It’s the footy side of the business that will largely be the noose around his neck now.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:57pm

Disgraceful comment.

I know Matt well and he's not only the complete opposite to your comment but not only the best CEO we have ever have but completely devoid of an ego.

Fair point but if as you say Matt’s a stand up guy....then stand up now Matt, own the c**k up that is Richardsons extension and remove him for the sake of many many members who will vote with their feet/cash only hurting the club. If not, this Lethlean “review” smacks of a board covering its ass. I’d respect him enormously if he cane out and did that

“Yeah….nah””
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Ameet and Jamie Cox both would have had major input into any recommendation or ratification of Richo’s extension.

If anything, he would be well within his rights to feel let down by the footy department. Our sponsorship is relatively healthy, we’ve had a reasonable draw from a commercial standpoint, our membership has been extraordinary considering the results, we’ve had a couple of marquee events (Good Friday, Pride game & Maddies match) get good air time, but on field we’ve fallen in a heap.

There are plenty of others who deserve the blowtorch before we point fingers at Finnis....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:11am Ameet and Jamie Cox both would have had major input into any recommendation or ratification of Richo’s extension.

If anything, he would be well within his rights to feel let down by the footy department. Our sponsorship is relatively healthy, we’ve had a reasonable draw from a commercial standpoint, our membership has been extraordinary considering the results, we’ve had a couple of marquee events (Good Friday, Pride game & Maddies match) get good air time, but on field we’ve fallen in a heap.

There are plenty of others who deserve the blowtorch before we point fingers at Finnis....
Not true apparently nothing to do with Bain’s - from ITKs it’s a Finnis driven initiative that had to be taken to the Board to be ratified
Last edited by Teflon on Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:15am, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
BenLong#21
Club Player

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

Maybe you a tad bias and under his spell.

That is the thing about spivs and used car salesmen. They often have a band of fiercely loyal followers.

Bel Gibson comes to mind.

BenLong#21
Club Player

St Chris wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:11am Ameet and Jamie Cox both would have had major input into any recommendation or ratification of Richo’s extension.

All AFL club memberships are up because they have changed the way they sell them and count them.
So he cant claim credit for that.

And if he can it is because he has been putting lipstick on the pig. Selling Daewoos with 200,000 km on the odometer and telling everyone they are brand new Mercedes. This is what I mean by calling him a used car salesman. Sales might be up in the short term - but the integrity of those sales is very very worrying. The business is suffering long term reputational damage.

Also Ameet and Cox had zero input in to the Richo contract extension. It was all from Matt trying to please AFL HQ with the `stability` word.
Last edited by BenLong#21 on Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:21am, edited 2 times in total.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Cricketing Cox as football manager was also a Finnis appointment :roll:

Agree however that Bains also has significant stink about him in the Richo extension. And as for the state of the list ... that is largely Bains - he was the list manager until his departure.

Go you red, black & white warriors
BenLong#21
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:59pm
He’s very, very bright and very good at what he does.
Is it ok to ask exactly how you know this?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:17am

Cricketing Cox as football manager was also a Finnis appointment :roll:

Agree however that Bains also has significant stink about him in the Richo extension. And as for the state of the list ... that is largely Bains - he was the list manager until his departure.
Bain’s didn’t apparently take Richo to xtension to Board - that was Finnis

“Yeah….nah””
BenLong#21
Club Player

We are currently on the highway to merger, re-location or possibly extinction....

Not sure how bright Finnis actually is unless the above is his objective.... in which case he is indeed very capable.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Stagnated development of players

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting post from Saintbill on BF who has some inside knowledge of Finnis
Also, made this point many times before but I know for a fact he had to be essentially begged to take the job. Couldn't care 2 cents about the Saints, more concerned with public perception and what this role could do for his career/reputation. A full time careerist, making smart risk/return decision that benefit his own career.

Essentially Finnis is like your typical fund manager who is unwilling to put the portfolio in a position that would see it deviate more than 1% from the benchmark. Being an outlier is a poor risk/return decision from a personal perspective, as you are crucified when you are an outlier and it goes against you. Best to be conservative, talk a big game and collect a truck load of fees for essentially nothing more than market returns.

I get deeply concerned by comments like the above, as they actually make perfect sense. There is simply no reasonable explanation for Richo to still have a job other than it benefits Finnis and his board. We are going to burn another year with Richo next year. I wonder if the club is delusional enough to announce we are going to "land a big fish" again this year:rolleyes:

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

BHP Billiton (BHP:AUS) have benefited from the greatest mining boom in global history.
That is better than getting the first 15 picks in each of 3 super draft years.

BHP earnings per share (Morningstar figure)
2008 = $2.586
2009 = $2.236
2010 = $2.373
2011 = $3.302
2012 = $2.854
2013 = $2.159
2014 = $2.423
2015 = $1.807
2016 = $2.191
2017 = $1.727

Earnings per share down one third over 9 years and yet none of the board or CEO's are threatened.
If those incompetent egotists can keep their jobs surely our board and CEO are entitled to keep theirs.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
avid
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:15am

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

That is the thing about spivs and used car salesmen. They often have a band of fiercely loyal followers.

You, BL21, evidently have bugger all idea of what 'bias' actually means.
Knowing someone can indeed bring a certain degree of bias with it. But knowing someone means you actually KNOW SOMETHING about them -- you have some REAL first-hand EVIDENCE of their character, etc.
You, on the other hand, apparently feel free to pour whatever hate-filled bile onto the CEO-- revealing your own wildly slanted self-generated view of the world -- a view untethered to any actual knowledge, or by any sense of fairness or decency. Your bias is all about you.
If you can't speak reasonably about a person it's best not to.

BenLong#21
Club Player

avid wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 3:03am

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

Knowing someone can indeed bring a certain degree of bias with it. But knowing someone means you actually KNOW SOMETHING about them -- you have some REAL first-hand EVIDENCE of their character, etc.
You, on the other hand, apparently feel free to pour whatever hate-filled bile onto the CEO-- revealing your own wildly slanted self-generated view of the world -- a view untethered to any actual knowledge, or by any sense of fairness or decency. Your bias is all about you.
Thanks for proving me correct.

Indeed I know very much what 'bias' means. Why do you think judges cannot adjudicate on cases involving someone they a personal relationship with? It is called bias.
In fact it is well known that a close personal relationship with someone tends to skew people's assessment - positively.
Here are some scholarly articles:
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1207 ... pspr0804_1
Intimates typically are positively biased in their relationship evaluations.
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/journa ... 09/10.html

It is often those closest to someone - caught up in the spell - that are last to recognise when someone is doing something wrong.
Think of all those mums and wives of serial killers who -despite overwhelming evidence - still claim their little darling is innocent.

The objective evidence is plain obvious.

Finnis has had 5 years. The club is on its knees.
Next year we will get a horrendous draw with no prime time FTA games.
Attendances are down. TV ratings are down.
The club faces merger, re-location or possibly extinction.

Nothing 'hateful' at all about these observations.

You seem very passionate in your defence of Matt. Do you know him personally? I think your violent over reaction says somewhat more about you. Are you feeling powerless in life in general? Frustrated? I see you are either a night owl or overseas. Perhaps you need some help.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:17am BHP Billiton (BHP:AUS) have benefited from the greatest mining boom in global history.
That is better than getting the first 15 picks in each of 3 super draft years.

BHP earnings per share (Morningstar figure)
2008 = $2.586
2009 = $2.236
2010 = $2.373
2011 = $3.302
2012 = $2.854
2013 = $2.159
2014 = $2.423
2015 = $1.807
2016 = $2.191
2017 = $1.727

Earnings per share down one third over 9 years and yet none of the board or CEO's are threatened.
If those incompetent egotists can keep their jobs surely our board and CEO are entitled to keep theirs.
Apples with apples man me, ace.

You might like to see if there's any correlation b/w those Morningstar eps figures, and these 4 charts of the 10 year performance of the 4 major products BHP sells;

Iron Ore - https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/iron-ore

Oil - https://www.macrotrends.net/2516/wti-cr ... aily-chart

Coal - https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/coal

Copper - https://www.macrotrends.net/1476/copper ... chart-data

All rather neat, really.

The StK F.C. is in the business of selling themselves as a business operating in the field of football or, if you prefer, entertainment.

I don't have time to produce the charts representing the business performance, but I'm quietly confident they, too, will correlate.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
jaxons
Club Player

Disgraceful comment.

Please!
Has got you fooled as well.

derby Street
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 11:05am

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

Indeed I know very much what 'bias' means. Why do you think judges cannot adjudicate on cases involving someone they a personal relationship with? It is called bias.
In fact it is well known that a close personal relationship with someone tends to skew people's assessment - positively.

It is often those closest to someone - caught up in the spell - that are last to recognise when someone is doing something wrong.
Think of all those mums and wives of serial killers who -despite overwhelming evidence - still claim their little darling is innocent.

You seem very passionate in your defence of Matt. Do you know him personally? I think your violent over reaction says somewhat more about you. Are you feeling powerless in life in general? Frustrated? I see you are either a night owl or overseas. Perhaps you need some help.
Interesting comments Benny - I reckon I have seen this type of vocabulary in recent times. But did stop for a few days until you suddenly sprung up a couple of days ago ???? Surprised you haven't slotted something in about Ammet Bains ? Just sayin.

stonecold
SS Life Member

derby Street wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:48pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 11:05am

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

Interesting comments Benny - I reckon I have seen this type of vocabulary in recent times. But did stop for a few days until you suddenly sprung up a couple of days ago ???? Surprised you haven't slotted something in about Ammet Bains ? Just sayin.

I thought the Huggins stand was gone.....

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯