Richo v Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_President
Club Player

Richo v Armo

Just saw the tail end of Richo's presser from the weekend, did anyone else catch the shade he through at Armo?

Basically said that he was playing behind the ball because he's no good in the middle anymore, then when questioned if it had been a frustrating year for Armo because he's been dropped a few times, he said that the most frustrating thing for Armo was his body.

If I was Armo and I was looking at getting a gig elsewhere next year, I'd be filthy at this.

Why couldn't Richo just say "Yeah, it's been frustrating for him, truth be told he's still an excellent player, but we're in the position of getting the young guys as many games as possible"

It's sort of similar to when Richo blamed the players the other week for giving up? it's just a terrible, terrible look IMO when the coach starts flaming players.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: Richo v Armo

Richo had a fair crack at Jack Steven as well in another press conference, although I think he was pretty spot on.
Basically said he wasn’t playing team footy, although he did try and sugar coat it a bit by saying he was just trying to lift the team

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 12:41pm Basically said that he was playing behind the ball because he's no good in the middle anymore
Given Armo's centre bounce stats shown in the AFL websites 'Middle Men' article, he's not wrong...disastrous, no matter what the cause of it is! I agree though, if Richo could share the same level of statesmanship when discussing players as he does say, the umpiring fraternity, it'd be a classier look.

derby Street
Club Player

[
Basically said that he was playing behind the ball because he's no good in the middle anymore, [/quote]

It's a fact - borne out by recently released stats that show Armo is dead ordinary in the middle. I am not sure at his age that Armo will ever be able to get his body right.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Every man for himself.

I never expected this from Richo.

Terrible.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
DWOODROW
Club Player

Richo is a wanka.

Gutless

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 12:41pm Just saw the tail end of Richo's presser from the weekend, did anyone else catch the shade he through at Armo?

Basically said that he was playing behind the ball because he's no good in the middle anymore, then when questioned if it had been a frustrating year for Armo because he's been dropped a few times, he said that the most frustrating thing for Armo was his body.

If I was Armo and I was looking at getting a gig elsewhere next year, I'd be filthy at this.

Why couldn't Richo just say "Yeah, it's been frustrating for him, truth be told he's still an excellent player, but we're in the position of getting the young guys as many games as possible"

It's sort of similar to when Richo blamed the players the other week for giving up? it's just a terrible, terrible look IMO when the coach starts flaming players.

I am a big fan of Armo's . Always have been but facts don't lie.

ANALYSIS: When young star Jade Gresham has been in at the centre bounce, the Saints have a plus-5.7 per cent differential for how often they send the ball inside 50 compared to how often they concede an entry. The numbers aren't good for David Armitage in that regard, going at a negative 5.7 differential, perhaps explaining why coach Alan Richardson has had the onballer line up at both ends of the ground. Luke Dunstan finds himself out of the team, possibly because St Kilda has lost 4.6 per cent more clearances than it has won when he is in for the centre bounce. – Dinny Navaratnamhttp://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-15/your-tea ... uare-stars

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I personally think the game has gone by Dave with the speed and running now required with potentially even less rotations next season, however regardless of where Armo is currently at as a player be it of great value or totally cooked, the idea of being less than respectful to a guy that has given his all for the club and been an inside warrior really irks me.

Really poor by Richo if this is accurately portrayed, if I was the said player I'd be reading the writing on the wall and say well f*** it and let the prick have at a meeting in front of the whole team :twisted:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
nw7
Club Player

Armo even with his body failing has been much better than most of the other players. He creates, tackles and puts pressure on. Richo is just trying to save his arse and blame everyone around him.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Geez we’re a bit touchy aren’t we??

I fail to see where Richo has said the wrong thing?? Sure he could have worded it a little better, but he’s hardly grabbed a microphone and told the world that Armo assasinated JFK and wears ladies lingerie in his spare time.

This bloke is staring down the barrel of his coaching career, in a very public setting. I saw him on 360 and he is clearly a man who isn’t getting much sleep at the moment (I’ve got a 5 week old baby and know a tired bloke when I see one!!),

We all complain that he is too vanilla, then we complain when he is a bit blunt. Can’t have it both ways...

barneyboyz
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 1:31pm Every man for himself.

I never expected this from Richo.

Terrible.
It is why he has to go.

I have coached at unders level, and I can tell you when the rot starts to set in it's a lonely place (coach). You know it's over and nothing will change it

And that's only at local footy level. He's GONE!

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 4:53pm Richo is a wanka.

Gutless
Yes he is. Been saying this on here all season and been called a wannabe ITK amongst other things. I have one source, a close friend who worked closely with the players and Richardson for two years. Info from that source says exactly the same thing. No balls when it comes to communicating challenging things. Fails to man up over and over again. Papers over his gutlessness with being nice or just completely avoidant of challenge or conflict. The players know it and they don’t trust him. And instead of having difficult conversations, now he’s potting them in the media. How can you play for a bloke like that? SFA integrity. This is why he needs to go ASAP. Yesterday.

DWOODROW
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 5:02pm
The_President wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 12:41pm Just saw the tail end of Richo's presser from the weekend, did anyone else catch the shade he through at Armo?

ANALYSIS: When young star Jade Gresham has been in at the centre bounce, the Saints have a plus-5.7 per cent differential for how often they send the ball inside 50 compared to how often they concede an entry. The numbers aren't good for David Armitage in that regard, going at a negative 5.7 differential, perhaps explaining why coach Alan Richardson has had the onballer line up at both ends of the ground. Luke Dunstan finds himself out of the team, possibly because St Kilda has lost 4.6 per cent more clearances than it has won when he is in for the centre bounce. – Dinny Navaratnamhttp://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-15/your-tea ... uare-stars

With all due respect, how many games has Dave actually played a full game in the middle throughout the year. Richo would constantly tell him in the 3 Ed qtrs that they needed more pressure in the forward line and move him there. So far this year he has played forward bits and pieces in the middle because he was told at the start of the year he he fighting for 5th or 6th spot to be in the middle and the last two games he has played off the back flank where he was told he would be playing at the start of the year.
To say Dave is confused as to what his role in the team is is an absolute understatement. Doesn’t know whether he is coming or going. Lots more I could say but might wait till the year is finished

Myron Gaines
Club Player

I’m on Team Dave. Summers, Finnis & Richo are tearing this club apart & have no emotional investment in the club whatsoever. Dave bleeds red,white & black.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 7:58pm

With all due respect, how many games has Dave actually played a full game in the middle throughout the year. Richo would constantly tell him in the 3 Ed qtrs that they needed more pressure in the forward line and move him there. So far this year he has played forward bits and pieces in the middle because he was told at the start of the year he he fighting for 5th or 6th spot to be in the middle and the last two games he has played off the back flank where he was told he would be playing at the start of the year.
To say Dave is confused as to what his role in the team is is an absolute understatement. Doesn’t know whether he is coming or going. Lots more I could say but might wait till the year is finished
Spill the beans when you’re ready.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

q
DWOODROW wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 7:58pm

I hear what you are saying.
I really feel for him. Richo has to go.

older saint
SS Life Member

Why was he picked then as can only play one spot and not able to do it anymore

DWOODROW
Club Player

older saint wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:35pm Why was he picked then as can only play one spot and not able to do it anymore
Because he is still getting more ball than many others on the list

JR23
Club Player

Putting games into the younger players and you drop Freeman. What a hypocrite. No consistency in direction.

ace
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 5:21pm Geez we’re a bit touchy aren’t we??

I fail to see where Richo has said the wrong thing?? Sure he could have worded it a little better, but he’s hardly grabbed a microphone and told the world that Armo assasinated JFK and wears ladies lingerie in his spare time.

This bloke is staring down the barrel of his coaching career, in a very public setting. I saw him on 360 and he is clearly a man who isn’t getting much sleep at the moment (I’ve got a 5 week old baby and know a tired bloke when I see one!!),

We all complain that he is too vanilla, then we complain when he is a bit blunt. Can’t have it both ways...
Hey I may not be around when your baby pulls on the saints strip.
Can you find some way to age the bub like 5 years every year.
We need your bub playing NOW.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

JR23 wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 9:09pm Putting games into the younger players and you drop Freeman. What a hypocrite. No consistency in direction.
Gave Freeman all of 55% game time last week.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
older saint
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:51pm
older saint wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:35pm Why was he picked then as can only play one spot and not able to do it anymore
If thats the case then as coach don't come out and s*** can him in the presser as you picked him!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Fri 17 Aug 2018 5:55pm
DWOODROW wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 8:51pm
If thats the case then as coach don't come out and s*** can him in the presser as you picked him!
Did Rich s*** can Armo? I'm not so sure. Talked about Armo and his body being his biggest problem, but I don't remember hearing anything that upset me.

chico2001
Club Player

Dont hear the top coaches can their players or do we? I am sure some of them have. Armo is cooked and has been all year, has played ok in spurts but not much chop against the quicker teams ( about 14 of them). Richo can go with Armo at the end of this year.

elizabethr
Club Player

This club stalwart will continue to delight his fans and most nicely antagonise his haters on this forum.
Hoping for a contract extension into 2020.

nothing to say