If not Richo then....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

If not Richo then....

....who do we want to coach St Kilda?

Reckon most of us would be OK with Clarkson or Beverige, but in reality I doubt either are available.

Are we prepared for a rookie coach, or do we want a seasoned veteran?

Anybody want Malthouse or Paul Roos?

kaos theory
Club Player

Re: If not Richo then....

There is only one certainty. Richo is a failed coach at AFL level, by any measure. Therefore, our club shouldn't be used as a free money pit to keep funding this coaching imposter.

The replacement should come from a proper process to find a replacement, not a comical rushed job that we went through for the last 2 coaching selection processes. So, we can't expect to know who would be a good replacement now....

Better still get rid of the board and management and put in place people who know how to run an organisation and know how to hire staff.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

A big no to Malthouse (too old and cranky) and Roos (hates the Saints and is overrated anyway).

I'm partial to Sam Mitchell because I reckon he'd be good for PR, has a bit of mongrel about him, is a good friend of Ratten's, and followed the Saints as a kid.

Let him start a proper rebuild and grow into the job under Ratten's tutelage.

SMS
Club Player

Head Coach: Ratten
Apprenticeship 2/3 Years: S.Mitchell
Assistant Mid: L.Hayes

If we did this simple move, got Walsh (pick 4), Hanneberry FOR NOTHING, got second round pick for Newnes and Armitage. Contracted Lonie and Freeman for 1 more year. extended Contracts for Gresham/Billings the n MAYBE we could be onto something.

FFS DO NOT GET LYCET WHY WHAT THE f***
WHAT ARE WE DOING???

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SMS wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 11:02pm Head Coach: Ratten

If we did this simple move, got Walsh (pick 4), Hanneberry FOR NOTHING, got second round pick for Newnes and Armitage. Contracted Lonie and Freeman for 1 more year. extended Contracts for Gresham/Billings the n MAYBE we could be onto something.

WHAT ARE WE DOING???
I like this but I see a few problems: -

1. S MItchell is all but confirmed - pending WCE releasing him - to be going to Hawthorn to fill the void theycreated by punting Ratten. Even if WCE do release him - I suspect they'll want pretty substantial compo (which we can't afford).

2. Walsh is more likely to go pick 1 than 4. If he got to 4, I would be (a) bizarrely surprised and (b) doing nudie runs down St K Rd in celebration.

3. How do you suppose getting Hanneberry for free when he's contracted for another 3 years at Sydney?

4. I think we'd be lucky to get a 3rd pick for Armo and Newnes. You do know that other clubs' recruiters have eyeballs and can see how poorly they've played this year?

5. Don't mind giving Lonie a year - I just wish it was Minch who was deserving of that but that's unlikely. Freeman I'd look at rookie-ing.

6. All very well extending Billings but there's been a lot of smoke that he doesn't actually want to be there ... hard to blame him. Hope we can extend Gresh and Billings.

7. Lycett? Meh - I can't see how he's not an upgrade on Longer, Hickey and Pierce. You have to pay someone and maybe he's the guy that gets better just by playing 1st ruck.

Go you red, black & white warriors
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Ratten , Mitchell and Hayes....what a great thought....imagine them organizing and developing our midfield....three of the very best clearance players of all time, none of them with much pace, but massive ticker and smarts.

Nee!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Ratten isn't interested in being a head-coach anymore.

If Richo is let go of, there'll no doubt be plenty of applicants. Blake Caracella is being touted as a really good potential head-coach.

Alastair Clarkson seems very unlikely, but is the best possible replacement. If Kennett is continuing to dilly-dally on his contract renewal, you never know. We all know too well in what delaying on a caoch's contract can create!!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SMS
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 2:03pm
SMS wrote: Mon 27 Aug 2018 11:02pm Head Coach: Ratten

WHAT ARE WE DOING???
I like this but I see a few problems: -

1. S MItchell is all but confirmed - pending WCE releasing him - to be going to Hawthorn to fill the void theycreated by punting Ratten. Even if WCE do release him - I suspect they'll want pretty substantial compo (which we can't afford).

2. Walsh is more likely to go pick 1 than 4. If he got to 4, I would be (a) bizarrely surprised and (b) doing nudie runs down St K Rd in celebration.

3. How do you suppose getting Hanneberry for free when he's contracted for another 3 years at Sydney?

4. I think we'd be lucky to get a 3rd pick for Armo and Newnes. You do know that other clubs' recruiters have eyeballs and can see how poorly they've played this year?

5. Don't mind giving Lonie a year - I just wish it was Minch who was deserving of that but that's unlikely. Freeman I'd look at rookie-ing.

6. All very well extending Billings but there's been a lot of smoke that he doesn't actually want to be there ... hard to blame him. Hope we can extend Gresh and Billings.

7. Lycett? Meh - I can't see how he's not an upgrade on Longer, Hickey and Pierce. You have to pay someone and maybe he's the guy that gets better just by playing 1st ruck.
Swans NEED toget rid of hannebery. They are desperate. If we give them anything for him we are retards.
We will
be doing them a favour paying his wage and taking him.
to give them pick 4 / upgrade or anything would be laughable to them. behind closed doors theyd be liferally ROLLING ON THE FLOOR PISSING G THEMSELVES . BE SAYING s*** LIKE "SAINTS ARE f****** RETATDS HA HA HA HA HA"

The Recruit
Club Player

We will trade our priority pick for Hanners
Ratten will be coach if not him Robert Harvey

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

fugazi wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 4:32pm Ratten , Mitchell and Hayes....what a great thought....imagine them organizing and developing our midfield....three of the very best clearance players of all time, none of them with much pace, but massive ticker and smarts.

Our midfielders are actually winning plenty of ball - but their kicking skills are below average or unreliable/inconsistent. They don't have hurt factor.
The players who actually do use the ball well in our team are unfortunately not midfielders.

I think Ratten, Mitchell and Hayes, or whoever ... will also have their work cut out in this regard.

Our improvement next year is more likely to come from a more settled lineup with less injuries - hopefully the recruitment/addition (at last) of a midfielder or 2 with some hurt factor/sublime kicking skills - and some much-needed structure with Roberton, Bruce, Battle, etc..
Last edited by samoht on Wed 29 Aug 2018 11:46am, edited 1 time in total.

chicken13

ANYBODY!