West Coast Chasing Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StPeter
Club Player

West Coast Chasing Hickey

I have heard on a couple of different media outlets today that West Coast is likely to offer Hickey a three year deal.

What do people think of this? i know there are some, and one in particular, on this forum who will be delighted to see him go.

Personally I would be disappointed to lose him. I think he is still our best bet as number one ruckman from our current list although his form has disappointed at times.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: West Coast Chasing Hickey

Haven’t they seen Longer???? Jet

“Yeah….nah””
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

If he had a great pre season, I could see him and Marshall working pretty well together.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Depends on the offer...

He’s capable of a much higher standard than what he has produced since 2016 but we seem incapable of getting the best out of him.

Maybe new coaches would help but to be honest, I’d rather persevere with the Pierce / Marshall combo.

If we could get a second rounder or better, I’d take it

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Tom is required I reckon but would it help us get a decent midfielder?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 12:16amIf we could get a second rounder or better, I’d take it
We could then send that second round pick up to Sydney for a half-chewed Hannebery and his albatross contract which they could then turn the second rounder into draft points to get themselves a top-10 draft pick! It's win-win, by which I mean Sydney wins and Sydney wins.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Happy days.

We gotta get into this draft.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Time to bust up our stunning ruck quartet. If Hickey is the first to go then so be it.

Take what we can get..... and run.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

The fact that they are chasing him indicates to me that they rate him. I do too when he is fit and leaping.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 1:10am The fact that they are chasing him indicates to me that they rate him. I do too when he is fit and leaping.
Could be McEvoy Mark 2

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's just entering his physical prime and in 2016 showed that when fit and in form he's in the best handful of rucks in the competition. If we are trading him I certainly hope we have another ruck lined up because Longer is a relic of a past era and neither Pierce nor Marshall have the strength or conditioning to be the primary ruckman in 2019. Pierce played a very handy game on return but was comprehensively beaten in his next two. Roughead could probably do the job and is a FA so could be acquired for nothing, although I still rate Hickey more highly.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 12:12am Haven’t they seen Longer???? Jet
Their midfielders voted and all said they preferred Longer to Hickledik in a trade as he cleared a path for them and was more competitive.

They used the name Hickledik :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Yep let's trade out our best ruckmen then bring in a potato like Roughead.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Hickey is one of our best clearance players, let alone a ruckman. Should not be traded- offer WCE Pierce

stonecold
SS Life Member

Go alright in the WAFL!!!!!

All the best over there Tom!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 1:10am The fact that they are chasing him indicates to me that they rate him. I do too when he is fit and leaping.
Agree. He must have some qualities if he’s being chased by a top side. Am interested BFUSA, in your thoughts on Pierce at this stage? I recall you reckoned a couple of years back he could end up the best of our ruckmen.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Are we planning to swap Lycett for Hickey?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 9:23am
Agree. He must have some qualities if he’s being chased by a top side. Am interested BFUSA, in your thoughts on Pierce at this stage? I recall you reckoned a couple of years back he could end up the best of our ruckmen.
Well I am not BackFromUSA, but I will chime in anyway.

I thought that the last three games were promising and showed that he is worth retaining.

However the main negative is that he has become a bit of a lumberer an was slow over the ground. I think that this has been pointed out to him as he commented that he was going to work on his speed over the summer/pre-season.

You may recall that McEvoy stated that he was going to improve his running capacity abouta year back and he had a ripper year this season (mind you he is 29 and so needs to be playing his best ever footy as this is about the age for rucks to deliver their best).

Rucks need to have impact around the ground and so he will need to improve both his running capacity and speed if he is to become our No 1 ruck. With that he should also win more of the ball, and mark more. He is already in front of Longer on his ball winning ability, and if he can improve his run he should get better again.

Longer is clearly better in pure ruckwork. But Pierce showed he is capable.

At present he is between Longer and Hickey. I personally rate Hickey as our No 1 choice at present.
Pierce will get stronger, and with improved running capacity could become a good prospect for us.
I could say the same for Longer, but he has shown little sign of improving the around the ground aspect of his game unfortunately.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Don't make them chase too hard. He can drop Billy in Geelong on his way.

To the top
SS Life Member

Given that St Kilda has such <edited by mods> as “supporters” as evidenced by certain on here, I would suggest that ALL players look to other Clubs, leaving the likes of Geary and Longer for the <edited by mods> to <edited by mods> over - without pausing to change hands at 99

The fact that West Coast are mooted as offering a long term Contract speaks to Hickey, his performances and his ability

The <edited by mods> infesting this site really do need to be called out

<warning for sexually explicit post>

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It appears that those with differing opinions do get called out, as evidenced by every thread here that gets started. It just depends on who calls who whatever description first. Which is fine, it is only an opinion to be agreed with or not, a few strokes of the keyboard and everyone is right in their own little world.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

To the top wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 11:07am Given that St Kilda has such fornicated morons as “supporters” as evidenced by certain on here, I would suggest that ALL players look to other Clubs, leaving the likes of Geary and Longer for the fornicated morons to masturbate over - without pausing to change hands at 99

The fact that West Coast are mooted as offering a long term Contract speaks to Hickey, his performances and his ability

The fornicated morons infesting this site really do need to be called out
Just to be clear about this post
Do you have a FM list and a un FM list I could refer to?

Seeya
Liam_G
Club Player

Hickey is highly rated across all clubs. The numbers clubs have access too to indicate a Top-10 ruckman in the comp. It's the extra-curricular activities that have hampered his progress to elite. Don't be surprised if others show interest as well, but we'd be nuts to let him go.

derby Street
Club Player

When on song he is OK around the ground and does get the ball. But he cannot ruck, and hates the bang and crash. Physicality is not Tom's go.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Agree Derby Street, the best of Hickey and the best of Longer combined would give us a reasonable, reliable ruckman. For those old enough to remember it's a bit like when we had Daniels & Davenport, if we could have combined them into one, we would have had a very good player.