Joffa Burns

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns

Simon, I think you've really over-stepped the mark here mate.

For starters you have banned Joff on posts that no-one has even reported.

Secondly Joff was responding to a post which was subsequently edited - "Billings gone for Essendon's 1st rounder. Done. Pick 9."

If you are going to ban people for trolling, then surely this ^ is this the kind of thing you should be looking at, not others pulling people up for claiming ridiculous rumours as fact?

If people make stuff up, then posters are going to question it, I'm sure everyone will agree that is acceptable?

I would be interested to hear what other people think, but I think you have made an error here and used your powers inappropriately.

Please remove the ban on Joffa.

This is not trolling… at the very worst - banter. Otherwise you might as well ban everyone.
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 9:40am Getting back on the drafting track.

Who does everyone think we'll take with pick #3 & #9.
Assume they will be #4 & #10 when compensation for Lynch is delivered to GCS.

Will we keep #4 and trade #10?

<warning for trolling>

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 1:17am Joffa Burns has been banned for 1 week for baiting, trolling and spamming a poster based on a post they made despite having previously warned not to do so.

If we allowed ongoing baiting, trolling and spamming of every poster who got a rumour POTENTIALLY wrong then the forum would lose all posters with any information of value - even if it is purely entertainment value and not fact.

The papers and radio are full of such rumours this time of year.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Joffa Burns

it does seem that remembering what posters write and pointing out inconsistencies, back flips or worse lies
is considered baiting
It is not

However you do seem to be "rewarded" for posting copious crap

Seeya
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Release Joffa!

Nee!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

What about making false claims, spreading lies, bullying, abusing, demeaning, casting character aspersions (or dispersions as it's spelt in the rules) against players, thier family members or club officials?

The moderating of this rule seems loose and flexible.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wrong decision.

Poor decision.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The mods need our support, not our criticism.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Haven’t seen someone banned for something that soft since Billy Slater! Lol

Seriously though, there’s a lot worse that goes unpunished

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 2:17pm The mods need our support, not our criticism.
Mods have a hard job and agree they should be supported, but just like anyone that does not mean that they shouldn’t be subject to criticism when it is justified.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 2:17pm The mods need our support, not our criticism.
yea ... maybe

when it suits the way the wind is blowing
towards your enjoyment ... definately

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

getting banned for using the word 'Linda'
was pretty soft

not that she could do her work
but i suppose thats beside the point

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 2:49pm
Mods have a hard job and agree they should be supported, but just like anyone that does not mean that they shouldn’t be subject to criticism when it is justified.
As I understand it, BFUSA is flying solo as moderator at the moment. It’s a lot of work for one person. It’s voluntary. Agree he needs to be supported.

Also agree that posters who come on the forum and continually post unsubstantiated rumours as fact without any reference to a source, or who post content poached from other websites, all with the intention to create an impression of being ITK, need to have their game called out. Especially when having being called out, they change nics and then carry on as before.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

we need whistleblower protection in here

JB is a liberal voting comrade

ban him for voting liberal
i'm ok with that
but not for being a comrade to the people

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 3:10pm
As I understand it, BFUSA is flying solo as moderator at the moment. It’s a lot of work for one person. It’s voluntary. Agree he needs to be supported.

Also agree that posters who come on the forum and continually post unsubstantiated rumours as fact without any reference to a source, or who post content poached from other websites, all with the intention to create an impression of being ITK, need to have their game called out. Especially when having being called out, they change nics and then carry on as before.
Understand that he’s doing this on his own and reckon everyone appreciates his efforts, but the continual bad cop routine is a bit much sometimes.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 3:23pm

Understand that he’s doing this on his own and reckon everyone appreciates his efforts, but the continual bad cop routine is a bit much sometimes.
Don’t agree it’s a continual bad cop routine. Reckon that’s harsh. What posters see actually happening on the forum is the tip of the iceberg. In my experience, there’s a lot of communicating that goes on unseen, mostly via PM, to try and avoid banning and to try and help posters avoid disputes. And flexibility in working with people to enable them to keep posting. Can’t please everyone all the time and everyone has their blind spots, but being a mod is mostly a fairly thankless task. Requires ongoing attention and a fair bit of patience.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Firstly posts were reported.

Then there is zero evidence that
- Ted is Parkey (happen to be proven wrong)
- That the info posted is incorrect (have had 2 pieces independently confirmed including the Billings one and at the time of posting it was correct until Billings backflipped)
- Joffa Burns received a warning and instead of ceasing he upped the attack on Ted by adding his signature and trolling every post and spamming the same thing each post ridiculing Ted’s info on Billings.
- ted edited his Billings post because the situation changed!

No matter what Ted’s source is including other sites, he is the first to post the info here and he is entitled to do so. He is not required by rules to name a source.

If the info is available from other sites or media then others are also welcome to post it - quoting a source or not.

I look at reports against the rules.

Joffa was baiting then it escalated to trolling and spamming the same point multiple times.

One week ban is right by the rules.

He can still read.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 4:07pm Firstly posts were reported.

- That the info posted is incorrect (have had 2 pieces independently confirmed including the Billings one and at the time of posting it was correct until Billings backflipped)
- Joffa Burns received a warning and instead of ceasing he upped the attack on Ted by adding his signature and trolling every post and spamming the same thing each post ridiculing Ted’s info on Billings.

No matter what Ted’s source is including other sites, he is the first to post the info here and he is entitled to do so. He is not required by rules to name a source.

If the info is available from other sites or media then others are also welcome to post it - quoting a source or not.

Joffa was baiting then it escalated to trolling and spamming the same point multiple times.

He can still read.
All true. Thank you moderator.

There is no place for cyberbullying also. I'm a grown adult that can brush it off, but it will turn off female and young adult fans from contributing here if it continues. I hope people think of the consequences of cyberbullying. We are all St Kilda fans in the end.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Willing to acknowledge I could be wrong about the PS / TTL connection. Will pull my head in about it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sigh.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 5:04pmSigh.
Received some info via PM that calls into question my previous assumptions....

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

He can still read.
can I ask another question - are you able to read PMs ?

Seeya
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 6:04pm

He can still read.
can I ask another question - are you able to read PMs ?
Not unless PMs are reported.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

As in forwarded to you?
There is a mod that that does allow it

Seeya
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I trust my intuition on pattern recognition, hence I smell BS.

I will now cease and desist but there is a pattern of protecting trolls on this site.

Eg Citywest
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 25 Sep 2018 11:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i think he meant

if , someone reports a PM received ,
for abuse or so such

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 25 Sep 2018 4:19pm I'm a grown adult that can brush it off, but it will turn off female and young adult fans from contributing here if it continues.
Are you suggesting that women aren't up to the rigors of the internet and can't handle themselves like a grown adult man?

Sounds a little sexist dude.