Is Richo making it harder to attract quality?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Is Richo making it harder to attract quality?

He’s far from the coach that everyone wants to play for.

Is him being their one of the factors making it even harder to get quality players to the club?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Richo making it harder to attract quality?

No one posting here would really be in a position to know the answer to that.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

OP asks a fair question and Saynta may or may not have a point with his response but ... who actually knows who posts on here and their genuine base of factual knowledge around this matter?

I will posit this however ...

The AFL is the most nepotistic, incestuous industry that I know of and/or have worked on the periphery of. In short - pretty much everyone knows everyone because, with increased player and coaching movements - the inhabitants - incl. most importantly the player managers - have largely played or coached together/against. Moreover - the entire industry is like a 13 year old girl's gossip shop because everyone knows each other and have done for many years.

So - you can bet your bottom dollar that key players in each club and management company know exactly what is going on at each club and whether they're to be trusted, respected, derided or admired. The whole destination club thing is indeed very much a thing.

What keeps happening to North (and now to a lesser extent with us today and Shiel) shows that you first have to get your shop in order to give players a reason to come and then, and only then, is money an issue. Not the other way around.

It surprises me not one ounce that Shiel didn't choose us. We spent season 2018 sh!tting in our hands and clapping rather than giving players a reason to come. And then our CEO abandons ship for a swim in the English Chanel mid-season when we're under fire and all the while, our Coach gives every impression that there's not a more boring, bland, vanilla, beige human - let alone coach - on the entire planet.

Richo may indeed turn out to be a Coaching genius - but from the cheap seats - I highly doubt it. But even if he was - ask yourself this ....

If you were a GUN player with a choice of any destination - would you want to listen to Richo's monotone dribble each and every day?

Go you red, black & white warriors
spert
Saintsational Legend

I can tell you that one former player from another club has told me that Richo is seen as a bit of a joke as a coach..sadly.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

OP asks a fair question and Saynta may or may not have a point with his response but ... who actually knows who posts on here and their genuine base of factual knowledge around this matter?

I will posit this however ...

The AFL is the most nepotistic, incestuous industry that I know of and/or have worked on the periphery of. In short - pretty much everyone knows everyone because, with increased player and coaching movements - the inhabitants - incl. most importantly the player managers - have largely played or coached together/against. Moreover - the entire industry is like a 13 year old girl's gossip shop because everyone knows each other and have done for many years.

So - you can bet your bottom dollar that key players in each club and management company know exactly what is going on at each club and whether they're to be trusted, respected, derided or admired. The whole destination club thing is indeed very much a thing.

What keeps happening to North (and now to a lesser extent with us today and Shiel) shows that you first have to get your shop in order to give players a reason to come and then, and only then, is money an issue. Not the other way around.

It surprises me not one ounce that Shiel didn't choose us. We spent season 2018 sh!tting in our hands and clapping rather than giving players a reason to come. And then our CEO abandons ship for a swim in the English Chanel mid-season when we're under fire and all the while, our Coach gives every impression that there's not a more boring, bland, vanilla, beige human - let alone coach - on the entire planet.

Richo may indeed turn out to be a Coaching genius - but from the cheap seats - I highly doubt it. But even if he was - ask yourself this ....

If you were a GUN player with a choice of any destination - would you want to listen to Richo's monotone dribble each and every day?

Go you red, black & white warriors
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Blessing in disguise. We don't pay overs for shiel and ratten all but takes over next year. That means this time next year we are looking like a much better club and we can throw a lor of cash at whitfield

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I have no doubt that players looking at the future of their careers would steer clear of a club who insists on keeping a head coach with a W/L rate of 30%, knowing full well that he could be sacked at any time… hardly fills you with confidence or certainty of the clubs direction.

What a sad joke.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely the guy is a fool!

Whiskey
Club Player

Absolutely. Has shown nothing. A new coach would have brought hope to both players and fans

takeaway
Club Player

spert wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:58pm I can tell you that one former player from another club has told me that Richo is seen as a bit of a joke as a coach..sadly.

Oh, well, that's it then.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

No.

Hannerbrey and Kent (plus more possibly) seem ok with him, plus several other players since he started coaching 5 years back.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Alan Jeans has a lot to answer for too. He left the club in a terrible mess.

Sanctorum
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 5:01pm Blessing in disguise. We don't pay overs for shiel and ratten all but takes over next year. That means this time next year we are looking like a much better club and we can throw a lor of cash at whitfield
Couldn't agree more...I'm not at all unhappy about Shiel choosing to go to the Bombers, no way is he worth $8mil over 6 years plus 4th pick in the upcoming draft. For a more balanced appraisal have a read of the following article:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/10/05/d ... ng-armour/

There is a hell of a lot of improvement in our current list of midfielders, and with Brett Ratten, recognised as one of the best midfield coaches in the game (attributed by Tom Mitchell as making him a gun), I am very confident that all of Billings, Steele, Gresham, Ross, Acres, Kent, Dunstan, Sinclair, Clark, Long, Coffield, Phillips, Paton have the potential to become elite with high quality coaching. Let's face it, there were times in the past season when the team gelled really well, such as the win over Melbourne, and it has been the appalling quality of foot and hand skills this year that lost them a lot of games.

I have not the slightest doubt that Ratten and Lade will deliver vast improvements to every player on the list. Apart from the midfield, expect to see Billie Longer become a top ruckman - he's a beast, possesses a lot of mongrel and just needs to become super fit and model his game on Gawn and Grundy. Likewise Paddy McCartin should become super fit, develop a tank and use his bulk to kick bags of goals.

It should be remembered that every team that has become successful after major slumps in recent years has done so under the firm commitment by the players to become successful as a team - Geelong in 2007, Richmond 2016, Collingwood 2018. In each case the coach has been incidental to their ultimate success, and Saints players should do this before the pre-season fixture.

Should this occur, then I feel sure the Saints will be able to jag an AA elite player, such as Whitfield or Kelly, this time next year.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saynta wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:40pm No one posting here would really be in a position to know the answer to that.
yes but saynta - over all the years of many posts here - you usually have a very STRONG opinion on things
What is yours?

Seeya
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think there is any doubt that a top line coach attracts players - see the mirage of Malcolm Blight at Saints

I also have no doubt players outside look at our game style, skill level and wonder: WTF is going on with the coaching after 5 years down there? 4 wins in a season seal that deal ..

Finally, they’d hear of our current best player challenging the coach in an exit interview about where we are going....not a great attractant

Blame Finnis don’t blame Richo he’s still there - if my job throws another healthy 2 years at me after I’ve poorly performed the previous 3....I’ll take it thanks.

Fool us

Now just pray we don’t throw a truckload at Wingard to prove our relevance as that would be a mistake
Go hard at Whitfield now
Draft best mid this year
Spend $$ on development
Sack Alan as soon as possible

“Yeah….nah””
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Richo puts me off the club....how would it be to consider playing for him.
He is Kryptonite. The decision not to sack him will cost players, money, sponsors and success.

Nee!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 5:51pm
Blame Finnis don’t blame Richo he’s still there - if my job throws another healthy 2 years at me after I’ve poorly performed the previous 3....I’ll take it thanks.

Fool us

Now just pray we don’t throw a truckload at Wingard to prove our relevance as that would be a mistake
Go hard at Whitfield now
Draft best mid this year
Spend $$ on development
Exactly. Plus find a way - Hickey for e.g - to trade into the early second round or higher.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, we'll know soon, won't we? Because we are making a play for Chad Wingard who played for AR's previous club.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
silverhalo
Club Player

Don't get Wingard FFS, the guy is an absolute flog.......the finest example of FIGJAM and hasn't done anything for 3 years.....now we are getting desperate!

silverhalo
Club Player

dragit wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 5:03pm I have no doubt that players looking at the future of their careers would steer clear of a club who insists on keeping a head coach with a W/L rate of 30%, knowing full well that he could be sacked at any time… hardly fills you with confidence or certainty of the clubs direction.

What a sad joke.
Couldn't agree more.......we won't recruit any decent players whilst he's at the helm.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 5:51pm I don’t think there is any doubt that a top line coach attracts players - see the mirage of Malcolm Blight at Saints

I also have no doubt players outside look at our game style, skill level and wonder: WTF is going on with the coaching after 5 years down there? 4 wins in a season seal that deal ..

Finally, they’d hear of our current best player challenging the coach in an exit interview about where we are going....not a great attractant

Fool us

Go hard at Whitfield now
Draft best mid this year
Spend $$ on development
It makes complete sense, someone should start a petition and get Finnis sacked.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Richo going on 360 did the club no favours. He often seemed dim witted, and Chris Scott had to show some real tact at times not to display more embarrassment over Richo's responses to questions. No doubt players watch the show, and he didn't come across as someone who had any great insights on the game. I cringed many a time.

takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 5:51pm I don’t think there is any doubt that a top line coach attracts players - see the mirage of Malcolm Blight at Saints

Fool us

Go hard at Whitfield now
Draft best mid this year
Spend $$ on development
Clarko's not doing too much attracting at the moment. Lynch - no, Shiel - no, and they had a real go at both. The actual head coach may influence a players decision sometimes, but imo is not a major factor.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Players are looking at this all wrong. They could be the difference maker. The guy who comes to St Kilda and leads us to glory. And by glory, I mean an 8 win season. That would get Richo, by then the second-longest tenured coach in club history, up to a staggering 34% win percentage. Hard to see us not bringing him back strongly in 2020 to push positively for a spot in the top-4.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 7:22pm

Fool us

Go hard at Whitfield now
Draft best mid this year
Spend $$ on development
Clarko's not doing too much attracting at the moment. Lynch - no, Shiel - no, and they had a real go at both. The actual head coach may influence a players decision sometimes, but imo is not a major factor.
Think Clarko has gone ok over the journey attracting a Brownlow medallist and Omeara last year plus 4 flags ....is not the only factor of course but it’s a factor and no doubt players know exactly what our shortcomings are out o the box...

“Yeah….nah””