What if we are done?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

What if we are done?

Just heard Lethlean on the news , basically saying we are done and will focus on pick 4 now.

Sure a lot of water to go under the bridge BUT if this is what we have done? I cannot see us finishing out of the bottom 2 next season, as clearly our list if overrated internally.

Yes there has been a large turnover of players already but lets look at that:
- Stevens (inj), Goddard, Freeman, Wright, Gilbert (ret?) , Minchington, Irish lad ( name escapes me),

Trade - Hickey

In Hannebry, Kent,.

What worries me is that we have emptied out Sandringham players who played a combined 10 games at a guess this year.

So to a team which won 4.5 games for the season we add Bruce, Robbo (inj) Hannebry and Kent and then expect the non performers from this year to be able to suddenly discover or re discover talents ??

I just don't see where we are going and what is the plan, unless this coaching staff/ list management team think what we already have is good and just need to be added to.

In all fairness you ask the question how many players make a top 4 side from this season ( forget positions) - Carlisle, Steven, Ross, Gresham, Steele - Maybe's Billings, Webster Membrey. Beyond that i really struggle and apart from the young kids the guys 80-140 games just aren't delivering but will continue to be the nucleus of the 2019 team.

Reminds me of Richmond of the early mid 2000s, a star, few good players and a whole lot which were rated by Richmond people but not by anyone else.

Flagless
Club Player

Re: What if we are done?

I concur, if that's all we are adding (Kent and Haneberry), then we will finish in the bottom 4 at best. The club cant be knocked for having a crack, we are just not that appealing atm. We just have to accept that the rebuild failed and that it is going to take time- the big challenge will be holding on to the few good players we do have (Gresham, Long etc.) I think the pursuit of Hannebery was a mistake from the start and that to sign him for 5 years is plain idiotic- I can only hope I'm wrong

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 7:04pm Just heard Lethlean on the news , basically saying we are done and will focus on pick 4 now.

Sure a lot of water to go under the bridge BUT if this is what we have done? I cannot see us finishing out of the bottom 2 next season, as clearly our list if overrated internally.

- Stevens (inj), Goddard, Freeman, Wright, Gilbert (ret?) , Minchington, Irish lad ( name escapes me),

Trade - Hickey

In Hannebry, Kent,.

What worries me is that we have emptied out Sandringham players who played a combined 10 games at a guess this year.

So to a team which won 4.5 games for the season we add Bruce, Robbo (inj) Hannebry and Kent and then expect the non performers from this year to be able to suddenly discover or re discover talents ??

I just don't see where we are going and what is the plan, unless this coaching staff/ list management team think what we already have is good and just need to be added to.

In all fairness you ask the question how many players make a top 4 side from this season ( forget positions) - Carlisle, Steven, Ross, Gresham, Steele - Maybe's Billings, Webster Membrey. Beyond that i really struggle and apart from the young kids the guys 80-140 games just aren't delivering but will continue to be the nucleus of the 2019 team.

Reminds me of Richmond of the early mid 2000s, a star, few good players and a whole lot which were rated by Richmond people but not by anyone else.
You and I are singing from the same hymn book older saint. The only guys who were not re-contracted apart from Gilbert, and Hickey who has been traded, were not regular players and their leaving us will have zero impact on our performances next year. Most of those players had not played more than 2 games this year, if any at all. More tough calls required.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
older saint
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 7:28pm
older saint wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 7:04pm Just heard Lethlean on the news , basically saying we are done and will focus on pick 4 now.

Trade - Hickey

In Hannebry, Kent,.

You and I are singing from the same hymn book older saint. The only guys who were not re-contracted apart from Gilbert, and Hickey who has been traded, were not regular players and their leaving us will have zero impact on our performances next year. Most of those players had not played more than 2 games this year, if any at all. More tough calls required.
Matches selection policy this season. Might need to be getting that hymn book and talking to the big man up stairs to help us

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I strongly disagree.

Strongly.

David-Lee
Club Player

Hansy on 5yrs and good money? Yeah we are done the desperation stinks of us like rotting flesh....a player who you look at the last 2 seasons is pretty banged up - we were getting better service from Joey for feck sake!

We went hard on 6 A graders in the past 2 yrs and got none. Now we are "throwing" our rotting flesh at Tom Scully so he can run 50 million miles in the other direction?

We got in this stink from bad recruiting only time and a very clever recruiting team can claw us back....and we don't have one.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

As bleak as it seems I would argue that
This list is better than 4 wins.
They underperformed and the goal kickimg was the worst in history.
We have Ratten now
We have Slater for tackling amd elite standards
We have improved our list
We will draft a gun
It is a young list with another year experience and preseason under its belt
We have money to burn if we can attract a FA next year with better prospects

Nee!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 8:27pm Hansy on 5yrs and good money? Yeah we are done the desperation stinks of us like rotting flesh....a player who you look at the last 2 seasons is pretty banged up - we were getting better service from Joey for feck sake!

We went hard on 6 A graders in the past 2 yrs and got none. Now we are "throwing" our rotting flesh at Tom Scully so he can run 50 million miles in the other direction?

We got in this stink from bad recruiting only time and a very clever recruiting team can claw us back....and we don't have one.
You seem to be obsessed with rotting flesh.

Vazelos
Club Player

I think it’s somewhere in the middle...
It’s not doom and gloom as they say mid term but short term without an elite mid field it will stop us making huge In roads up the ladder.
All the serious teams have one or recruited one recently.
Treloar, Mitchell, Shiel are examples of recent trades of A grade mid fielders.
We have a young list a year older.
Hannebery and Kent are good additions.
Roberton and Bruce will be back.
Ratten and Lade will make an impact.
Our No 4 pick will play straight away as he will be elite.
Our draw cannot possibly be more difficult.
After a better year we will be in a stronger platform to attract a to free agent next year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 12:02am
If they choose King I would not expect too much from him in year one.

Whereas Rakine......

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
realdeal
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:04pm As bleak as it seems I would argue that
This list is better than 4 wins.
They underperformed and the goal kickimg was the worst in history.
We have Ratten now
We have Slater for tackling amd elite standards
We have improved our list
We will draft a gun
It is a young list with another year experience and preseason under its belt
We have money to burn if we can attract a FA next year with better prospects
Are Newnes and Weller still on our list?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 1:41am

Whereas Rakine......
I really hope we pick a midfielder. We need a midfielder more than any other type by a long stretch. We need as much depth of quality through the midfield as possible and if they are versatile enough to play other parts of the ground then even better but midfielders are our immediate need. Did I mention we need midfielders?

beebarry
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 8:12pm I strongly disagree.

Strongly.
#metoo

Captain Impossible
Club Player

I'm not overly optimistic either, but we will move up the ladder. Improvement will come from:

Hannebery
Kent (will play if fit, he's quick)
Roberton
Bruce
McCartin
Clark

+ move Billings into the midfield or on to the wing
+ better draw
+ 6, 6, 6 will suit us better

We'll finish anywhere from 10th to 8th.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 8:27pm Hansy on 5yrs and good money? Yeah we are done the desperation stinks of us like rotting flesh....a player who you look at the last 2 seasons is pretty banged up - we were getting better service from Joey for feck sake!

I think we're building a really decent list.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 1:44pm

I think we're building a really decent list.
Interested to why you think that Rodger.

The modern game is based on speed & foot skills.
We lack both and IMO have a list lacking class midfielders, the position where the game is won or lost.

I also don’t rate our KPP high enough to support the notion we are building a spine then will fill the midfield with free agents etc.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
suss
Club Player

Vazelos wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 12:02am I think it’s somewhere in the middle...
It’s not doom and gloom as they say mid term but short term without an elite mid field it will stop us making huge In roads up the ladder.
All the serious teams have one or recruited one recently.
Treloar, Mitchell, Shiel are examples of recent trades of A grade mid fielders.
We have a young list a year older.
Hannebery and Kent are good additions.
Roberton and Bruce will be back.
Ratten and Lade will make an impact.
Our draw cannot possibly be more difficult.
After a better year we will be in a stronger platform to attract a to free agent next year.
Agree with all of that. If we add Rankine this year and one of Whitfield or Kelly next year we’ll be playing finals 2020.

I finally feel like we have a footy boss with a few clues.

Final question mark hangs over the coach.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 7:19am

Whereas Rakine......
I really hope we pick a midfielder. We need a midfielder more than any other type by a long stretch. We need as much depth of quality through the midfield as possible and if they are versatile enough to play other parts of the ground then even better but midfielders are our immediate need. Did I mention we need midfielders?
Agreed.

Wish they’d traded one in that didn’t have ??? about them

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 4:45pm

Whereas Rakine......
Agreed.

Shaun Burgoyne had ??? about him when the Hawks recruited him from PA.

groupie1
Club Player

Thought we'd really try to flog off a bunch of players for multiple late picks and bundle them into a 3rd round pick, or something.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 7:35pm

Whereas Rakine......
Agreed.

Well hopefully it’ll work out as good as that trade.

Do you back Hannebery to be as good as Burgoyne?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 8:22pm

Whereas Rakine......
Agreed.

I wouldn't say "back", merely making comparisons to a player who was also perceived as past his peak, banged up and recruited by a club which had questions marks placed over it for doing so.

2 types of people, glass half full...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 8:35pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 8:22pm

Whereas Rakine......
Agreed.

I wouldn't say "back", merely making comparisons to a player who was also perceived as past his peak, banged up and recruited by a club which had questions marks placed over it for doing so.

2 types of people, glass half full...
All I said was that I wished we had recruited an elite mid that didn’t have question marks. It wasn’t a slight at Hannebery as it appears to have been taken... question marks are after all question marks. Nothing more or less.

As you’ve the topic of “glass half full”, I’ll ask again, yes or no... do you think he will be an elite midfielder for us?

groupie1
Club Player

Hannebery's best is probably behind him, but I think he'll be excellent for us for 3 years. And worst case, stick him in the forward line. I think he's a good get and on experience worth the price. Elite being a measurement of stats, not sure. But I think he'll win his position most weeks: making him whatever the next category down is. He will def. make us better.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

what if we are done ?