Key position Backman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rocket
Club Player

Key position Backman

So we have Carlisle and Austin ...with Gilbert and Goddard gone.

What happens if one or both go down ? Shocked we didn’t target Adams, Roughead or someone else.

Our backline is weak and leaks goals as is, god help us if either of these two go down.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Key position Backman

I would have thought Roughy was a Roughy!

Could end up a great swingman

I cannot see how you can assume he was not targeted - surely everyone was sounded put - I get the feeling that unless we were going to make Shiel type offers to people - they are not interested in coming to the Saints!

This years trade period has proven one thing - success is more important than money!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Also have Brown, Joyce and Claravino as key backs. So we still have 5 plus we might draft one.

If all 5 went down, Bruce has played back before. Marshall has at Sandy. Even Paddy could as a very last resort.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 9:56am So we have Carlisle and Austin ...with Gilbert and Goddard gone.

What happens if one or both go down ? Shocked we didn’t target Adams, Roughead or someone else.

Our backline is weak and leaks goals as is, god help us if either of these two go down.
Oscar and Darragh.

Whiskey
Club Player

Should have been steven may

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Roberton also plays taller. Hopefully he is fit.

Claravino might be the big one here.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bergsone
SS Life Member

Rocket wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 9:56am So we have Carlisle and Austin ...with Gilbert and Goddard gone.

If our midfield improves,puts less pressure on our backs,so wont leak as many goals reckon midfield is biggest problem

chico2001
Club Player

Goddard hardly played, Carlisle has dropped off a bit and Logan is as raw as they come. Need another experienced key backman for sure. Still have Roberton to come back apparently

saint6709
Club Player

I would hope Brown is for emergencies only next year and not on the list the year after that - claravino might need 2 more years to develop - so potentially next year we might have 2 ready to go key backs on the list only with a not yet ready back up player.,
I have only seen some you tube of keiren Collins but Footscray when they recruited him were saying they had him at pick 11 in their mock draft
Should we be getting him as a back up option for the next few years ? Hopefully he could develop into something better than that ? Are there any rumours as to why he hasn’t so far lived up to his expected potential ? Is a big unit somewhat in the Steven May style

gwiltyascharged
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 11:58am Logan is as raw as they come.
Logan Austin is 23.
Contracted until 2020.
Needs to play some games.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Roughead would have made a lot of sense. He's no star but can hold his own in defence and the ruck

the dome
Club Player

Hoping Roberton makes a successful come back

Roberton back in good form would be a great addition down back.
Fingers crossed.
Also hoping Claravino pushes his way into contention.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Brown needs to mentor the younger players and that means playing along side them whether that is at Sandy or St Kilda. I understand the want to get games into young players but they need to be ready both physically and mentally. Joyce and Austin are going OK but need to really step it up this year and I know nothing of Claravino but he is still young.
I hope Roberton is back and FIT. We missed him so much last year but his health comes first. With him and Carlisle as the 2 main guys rotating with Brown for monster duties and pumping games into the younger guys I am not concerned with the backs

If all my stars align and we get Lukosious then that may force Bruce or Paddy into defense and based on their last couple of years it might be a blessing in disguise. Bruce had one good season and then fell away and Paddy hasn't done much up forward, Maybe a stint in defense would help.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bruce in defense? Bruce was so dreadful in defence that the bottom team traded him out for a pick they didn't even use, with 11 games in 2 seasons under his belt.

We've got more KPB depth than about half the league, I'm not worried.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

degruch wrote: Tue 23 Oct 2018 12:56pm Bruce in defense? Bruce was so dreadful in defence that the bottom team traded him out for a pick they didn't even use, with 11 games in 2 seasons under his belt.

Fair call but it was more about how Bruce isn't setting the world on fire up forward and I know he isn't alone up there. We have depth at the back but is it any good, that is the question. At this point no one knows

chico2001
Club Player

degruch wrote: Tue 23 Oct 2018 12:56pm Bruce in defense? Bruce was so dreadful in defence that the bottom team traded him out for a pick they didn't even use, with 11 games in 2 seasons under his belt.

Not sure which other half of the league we have more depth than.

Finished 16th with 4 wins, we have a monster FB who has about a year to run, a recruit who is green as and may step up and then we have a good marking CHB who has dropped off a bit. Then we have some green players in the maggoo's and that's it. Where is the depth?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 23 Oct 2018 6:37am Roughead would have made a lot of sense. He's no star but can hold his own in defence and the ruck
absolutely right - - one of the better swingmen out there
ticks so many boxes that people like to tick - leader - ex premiership player - Weagles looked at him before deciding on Hickey (so at least other clubs thought enough of him)

but we locked up Brown for one more year -
I would have though it about incremental improvements given our complete failure at attracting big names

Seeya
older saint
SS Life Member

We have 1 too many big forwards so i hop eBruce moves to CHB

Club Player

Battle???

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

6621104 wrote: Tue 23 Oct 2018 6:49pmBattle???
He must never leave the forwardline - will be the new Hammill (without the suspensions & injury)

Seeya
degruch
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Tue 23 Oct 2018 1:44pm

Not sure which other half of the league we have more depth than.

Finished 16th with 4 wins, we have a monster FB who has about a year to run, a recruit who is green as and may step up and then we have a good marking CHB who has dropped off a bit. Then we have some green players in the maggoo's and that's it. Where is the depth?
KPB: Brown, Austin, Carlisle, Clav, Joyce...do any other teams have more than 4 deep per position on their list? Collingwood just added one big guy in Roughie, how are they looking now? Probably better off than the Bulldogs are. Suns? Essendon?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigred wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 11:41am Roberton also plays taller. Hopefully he is fit.

can't afford to gamble on Robbo.

The ones mentioned are too young now, will take time to come up.

We should have snagged a ready-made defender.

I fear the return of the 100 -point blowouts of a couple of years ago, if Jake and Austin get suspended/injured.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigred wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 11:41am Roberton also plays taller. Hopefully he is fit.

can't afford to gamble on Robbo.

The ones mentioned are too young now, will take time to come up.

We should have snagged a ready-made defender.

I fear the return of the 100 -point blowouts of a couple of years ago, if Jake and Austin get suspended/injured.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee