Paddy dropped nearly 10kg

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Paddy dropped nearly 10kg

Slim Saints spearhead shapes up to break out - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-23/sli ... -break-out

Ratten was a great pickup.
Paddy shedding the kg's. Hopefully Billy Slater mentors Paddy in some way too. Lets hope.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Stian
Club Player

Re: Paddy dropped nearly 10kg

The most interesting comment to take from that article (that otherwise is mainly the usual pre-season spin) is from Ratten commenting about his role at the club:

"I've been given more responsibility at the Saints, which is what I was looking for, and really pleased to be there."

The whole tone of his comments implies that he could be a "puppet-master" standing behind Richo and being the senior coach in all but name.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Why has it taken him this long to figure out that he's fat?
You can't keep blaming diabetes.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

lucky plugger didnt lose that weight

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 9:58am The most interesting comment to take from that article (that otherwise is mainly the usual pre-season spin) is from Ratten commenting about his role at the club:

"I've been given more responsibility at the Saints, which is what I was looking for, and really pleased to be there."

The whole tone of his comments implies that he could be a "puppet-master" standing behind Richo and being the senior coach in all but name.
One can only hope so.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Well done Paddy for making a real effort to get into shape. 10 kg's is impressive and I hope it translates to better on field performances. Still needs to mark the ball and kick straight but steps in the right direction

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Lets all hope he is a break out season in any case. If he kicks around 25-35 goals its a big win and positive.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 11:12am Why has it taken him this long to figure out that he's fat?
That's a seriously uneducated question / comment. Poor form.

But for the record - here's something about Paddy's particular condition that you might want to get yourself educated on. And by particular, I mean relating to him and not all diabetics.

Paddy's body has a somewhat strange metabolism in that, during prolonged rest state, he actually puts on weight. In layman's terms - he actually puts on weight when he sleeps. Not water weight, actually body fat. Virtually no one without diabetes has that condition and it's not overly common in those with type-1 diabetes. Every noticed how when he's injured and does mini pre-seasons and he looks pretty trim and lean? That's what overt and prolonged exercise and activity does to HIS body. But, when that intense exercise stops (i.e. in-season when the training is less intense and more about recovery) that's when the weight can come back on hence, he appears heavier.

I've not heard Paddy publicly complain about his diabetes once nor blame it for any outcome in his career but you seem to have put those words in his mouth. So - well done you - good job.

I actually really hope Paddy fires up and shows more of what there's been glimpses of so far. He's got his challenges, like a lot of people but, it appears he's having a fair crack at doing everything he can do to make himself better footballer for our club.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

This is very good news on two fronts, the first for McCartin personally and secondly for our #4 pick.

If the club is genuinely confident that 2019 is Paddy's year plus the return of Bruce and the encouraging glimpses from Battle and Marshall, then pick #4 will not be traded and used on best available mid.

If they have any doubts, they will pick King.

Good luck to Paddy, he's obviously used his time well, now to have an uninterrupted pre season and give us some hope. Nothing short of 40 goals for my mind, if he plays a full season.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Paddy's too skinny to be a power forward now!

Has lost all his strength and is getting pushed off the ball too easily.
Was much better when he had the weight on and though he was regularly outnumbered, he brought the ball to ground.

Another stuff up by our conditioning department :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Good on Paddy, worth a try!!!!!

Opinions and Arseholes, much the same, particularly on this Forum!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
dragit
Saintsational Legend

This is becoming an annual thread.

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94277

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 3:26pm Paddy's too skinny to be a power forward now!

Has lost all his strength and is getting pushed off the ball too easily.
Was much better when he had the weight on and though he was regularly outnumbered, he brought the ball to ground.

Another stuff up by our conditioning department :lol:
He gets pushed around too easily anyway. Hopefully has swapped puppy fat for muscle after 4 years of being a well paid professional.

Nee!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 12:58pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 11:12am Why has it taken him this long to figure out that he's fat?

But for the record - here's something about Paddy's particular condition that you might want to get yourself educated on. And by particular, I mean relating to him and not all diabetics.

Paddy's body has a somewhat strange metabolism in that, during prolonged rest state, he actually puts on weight. In layman's terms - he actually puts on weight when he sleeps. Not water weight, actually body fat. Virtually no one without diabetes has that condition and it's not overly common in those with type-1 diabetes. Every noticed how when he's injured and does mini pre-seasons and he looks pretty trim and lean? That's what overt and prolonged exercise and activity does to HIS body. But, when that intense exercise stops (i.e. in-season when the training is less intense and more about recovery) that's when the weight can come back on hence, he appears heavier.

I've not heard Paddy publicly complain about his diabetes once nor blame it for any outcome in his career but you seem to have put those words in his mouth. So - well done you - good job.

I actually really hope Paddy fires up and shows more of what there's been glimpses of so far. He's got his challenges, like a lot of people but, it appears he's having a fair crack at doing everything he can do to make himself better footballer for our club.
So I have to ask ... what is this Other metabolic condition called ? It’s the first time I’m hearing Paddy has this
When was this other condition diagnosed?
How do you know ?
Did our recruiters know when they they recruited him ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 4:13pm This is becoming an annual thread.

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94277
Yep. Ground hog day

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

He must have been enormous when he first started as he losses weight at the start of every year.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

So all the people who scorned anyone suggesting that his diabetes was going to be a problem.....

Not only does he have trouble with blood sugar levels within a game

Not only does he take longer to recover from games and injuries
But now, we hear he gets fat while he sleeps?

I know he's a good kid and he doesn't blame his condition...but FFS why did we take that risk with pick 1?

Millionth time we have gone thru it I know.

Good luck Paddy maybe 2019 will be your year.

Nee!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Every club would have picked Paddy 1 or 2 or 3. At a stretch he may have drifted to 4 or even 5. That is a massive stretch even. But definitely top 3, 100% lock.

No AFL club cared about his diabetes then, nor should they now. There are hundreds of diabetics competing in world class sport. Paddy is still out there competing in a tough A grade sport to a pretty good level when fit.

Its only brought up because Paddy hasn't had an A grade career yet. Everyone has forgot about Stephenson's heart problem already because he had a very good first year. Go figure.

What is done is done. No point complaining. Paddy is a Saint.

Total = 1.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

We are not allowed to discuss the pros/cons of the no1 selection
We are not allowed to discuss the pros/cons of AR's coaching tenure

I wish there was a sticky for topics we are allowed to discuss

Seeya
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 10:58pm Every club would have picked Paddy 1 or 2 or 3. At a stretch he may have drifted to 4 or even 5. That is a massive stretch even. But definitely top 3, 100% lock.
:lol:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 1:41am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 10:58pm Every club would have picked Paddy 1 or 2 or 3. At a stretch he may have drifted to 4 or even 5. That is a massive stretch even. But definitely top 3, 100% lock.
:lol:
Must be true for Teddysainter to write it.
Has an amazingly accurate history on this site.

Billings to Essendon for #9 - done deal :D

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Paddy was like most other teenagers in that it took a while for him to realise that he can't rely on talent alone....BUT....

You can't keep ignoring the fact that our senior coach and his footy fitness staff and senior assistants have been soft on Paddy and allowed him to cruise along instead of pushing him to his limits from the day he arrived as our # 1 pick.

I don't give a flying f*** what the clubs excuses have been so far.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 9:18am

Paddy was like most other teenagers in that it took a while for him to realise that he can't rely on talent alone....BUT....

You can't keep ignoring the fact that our senior coach and his footy fitness staff and senior assistants have been soft on Paddy and allowed him to cruise along instead of pushing him to his limits from the day he arrived as our # 1 pick.

I don't give a flying f*** what the clubs excuses have been so far.
Been soft on Paddy????? Really?????

Narrow minded view, he has shredded some Puppy Fat, like most guys do at that age when they stop growing!!!!!

I really do wonder why some people call themselves supporters sometimes, each to their own!!!!!

Look up the definition of 'supporter' some time!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Good post Mr Austin. Any chance to have a sook and whinge from some. Pre season hasn't even started yet.

Total = 1.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Zed wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 5:03pm

So I have to ask ... what is this Other metabolic condition called ? It’s the first time I’m hearing Paddy has this
When was this other condition diagnosed?
How do you know ?
Did our recruiters know when they they recruited him ?
If you read my post - it's not an 'other' condition. It's the way HIS particular body manifests type 1 diabetes.

I have no idea whether our recruiters knew this when they selected him or when it was discovered - best you ask them.

I'm just sick and tired of all the bullsh!t innuendo and slagging-off of a guy who has an issue that makes it difficult for him to be great hence, I thought it time to share some facts to set the record straight.

That said, I'm sure there'll be some on here that will find a new issue to bag Paddy on.

Go you red, black & white warriors