2019 Coaching. It's a lose-lose.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

2019 Coaching. It's a lose-lose.

First up, cards on the table. Richardson has completely lost me. How he is still in the role is just astounding really. Pathetic, matey performance management. Fish rots at the head. Runs are just not on the board.

We would have to win 18+ games next year to have me thinking otherwise.

I hate sacking coaches. It just reeks of failure and bad management. Never, ever a good look.

So riddle me these hypotheticals.
  • We win five games or less. We sack a coach. Probably before the half way point of the year. Season will be dusted... we lose. Wont be able to attract any players come season end. We lose.
  • We win five to ten. Good god.... They might actually consider giving him another year. We lose.
  • We win Ten to thirteen games and make the finals, going out first week. Extension imminent. We lose.
  • We win Thirteen to sixteen games. Win a final. Ratten influence. Extension granted. Christ maybe even two years.
  • Sixteen wins or more, win two finals and make a prelim. f*** sake two years. Ratten influence.
  • We win the flag and he coaches for ten years.... more. We win.
Honestly, give him the arse now. Do it. Just damn well pull the band aid off and start fresh. Give it to Ratten.

I just do not trust that Richardson is the guy that is going to get us back at the pointy end. How can you? Blind faith? We cant afford blind faith.

If he says "park that fifteen minutes" once in 2019 my TV will be in trouble.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: 2019 Coaching. It's a lose-lose.

Good idea, start ANOTHER sack Richo thread!

Saint supporter since '62
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree with you on Richardson.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He started losing me last year and penny dropped when he picked Armo ahead of Dunstan at the start of this year.

In hindsight, I thought Richo was a bit nqr in 2014 when trying to explain all those losses in his weekly fan vid.

Don’t think he’s changed much since those lame performances.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Not much danger in winning more than 10 next year.
Surely Ratten is the successor

Nee!
ListManager
Club Player

bigred wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 10:43pm First up, cards on the table. Richardson has completely lost me. How he is still in the role is just astounding really. Pathetic, matey performance management. Fish rots at the head. Runs are just not on the board.

I hate sacking coaches. It just reeks of failure and bad management. Never, ever a good look.

• We win five games or less. We sack a coach. Probably before the half way point of the year. Season will be dusted... we lose. Wont be able to attract any players come season end. We lose.
  • We win five to ten. Good god.... They might actually consider giving him another year. We lose.
  • We win Ten to thirteen games and make the finals, going out first week. Extension imminent. We lose.
  • We win Thirteen to sixteen games. Win a final. Ratten influence. Extension granted. Christ maybe even two years.
  • Sixteen wins or more, win two finals and make a prelim. f*** sake two years. Ratten influence.
Honestly, give him the arse now. Do it. Just damn well pull the band aid off and start fresh. Give it to Ratten.

I just do not trust that Richardson is the guy that is going to get us back at the pointy end. How can you? Blind faith? We cant afford blind faith.

Pathetic post. If I was a Moderator I would delete it straight away. Incoherent dribble

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
ss1986
Club Player

bigred wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 10:43pm First up, cards on the table. Richardson has completely lost me. How he is still in the role is just astounding really. Pathetic, matey performance management. Fish rots at the head. Runs are just not on the board.

The worst scenario, BY FAR, is Scenario 2.

Just enough wins to cause uncertainty...

Would it represent a step in the right direction?

A simple correction to last year?

Or a dead cat bounce?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Let's not forget that Ratten was a senior coach when he was sacked by Carlton. Golden-boy Malthouse, as his replacement, couldn't do any better.
Why is it only the coach's fault - what about recruiting, what about the talent that's on the list - and shouldn't the players be taking responsibility to get the most out of themselves?
Austin, Steele, Roberton, Membrey all have improved their games in leaps and bounds since crossing over to us from their former clubs - other players can follow suit - what's stopping them, Richo?
Yeah, sure.
(We need to realise that there's no such thing as a saviour coach - as Carlton and Freo, etc.. have found out the hard way. The fish also smells from the head of each and every player who is not getting the most out of themselves - and is not following the example set by Austin, Steele, Roberton and Membrey. It also smells from the head of the recruiters who keep recruiting multiples of C grade inside midfielders with average skills, multiples of half back flankers and multiples of C grade ruckmen - who choose multiples of list cloggers over talent - the scattergun approach) .

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

He is the coach for 2019 and it isn't changing. Get over it and lets hope for the best...or start an online petition through change.org...oh that already happened and got about 50 signatures.

If the team has another 4 win season, then Alan will highly likely not be coaching.

Otherwise lets hope the club has a cracker year, same as Alan and all the coaching group.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
ss1986
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 8:58am He is the coach for 2019 and it isn't changing. Get over it and lets hope for the best...or start an online petition through change.org...oh that already happened and got about 50 signatures.

If the team has another 4 win season, then Alan will highly likely not be coaching.

Otherwise lets hope the club has a cracker year, same as Alan and all the coaching group.
And in your view - honestly Ted.... what would a, say, 6-7 win year represent?

spert
Saintsational Legend

If Richo had just done one or two years and needed better support, fair enough, but after 5 seasons of going nowhere- the leopard is not going to change his spots. Low performance coach in a low performance club.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Another thread by the chicken little brigade.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

No, it is not the chicken little brigade.

It is not "incoherent dribble" either.

We are completely backed into a corner regarding our senior coach.

It is undeniable.

So if by some chance we get say, ten wins in 2019. Probably the best case scenario we could reasonably expect. Then what do we do? There is no way known it would be viable to extend again.

So why bother?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Not sure I agree.

If we make finals, then something is working.

I don't rate Richardson at all, based on what I see. But I never rated Hardwick based on what I saw either.

I still don't.

But if we make the finals, it means one or more of three things:

Our young guys have improved out of sight.

Richardson has coached well.

The coaching panel as a whole is working really well.

I can't see how any of those scenarios are negative.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Supporters can carry on as much as they like about Alan Richardson remaining as coach for 2019, but that's all in vain.

Fact is that the club have backed him to be Senior Coach, and have identified the need for him to be given far more support for the team to achieve success in 2019 and beyond.

Therefore the clean out of assistant coaches, and bringing in some real experience, especially Brett Ratten and Brendon Lade (as well as Billy Slater) all of whom come from clubs with strong cultures of success.

Gubby Allen is going to give the club some real clout in the area of list management and player retention - a fantastic appointment as every club where he has worked in senior roles has had considerable on-field success while he was involved.

Opinions of supporters of Richo are utterly meaningless compared to how the players rate him, as noted in an article on the AFL website today:

"Acres, 23, has – as you'd expect – backed coach Alan Richardson and his new team to take the Saints a step forward in 2019.

"We've brought in, I think, four or five new coaches now and we'll bring in a few draftees in a few weeks," he said.

"We all trust Richo, we all know he knows what he's doing and I think this year he's got a great support group with all the new coaches.

"We've got to hold up our end of the bargain as well and perform each week
."

If it's good enough for players to trust Richo, then so should supporters. Save your breath....relax, and do what most supporters do at the end of a bad season - bury our disappointment and look forward to next year!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 10:28am No, it is not the chicken little brigade.

It is not "incoherent dribble" either.

We are completely backed into a corner regarding our senior coach.

It is undeniable.

So if by some chance we get say, ten wins in 2019. Probably the best case scenario we could reasonably expect. Then what do we do? There is no way known it would be viable to extend again.

So why bother?
You ask how come Richo is still in the coaching role when everyone including blind Freddie knows we were not in a financial position to pay him out, because (A) we don't have the money and ( B ) even if we did, his payout figure would be included in our cap for coaching staff who we would end up not being able to pay more than peanuts.

So, we have to live with Richo for at least 2019. Get used to it and stop whinging.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Forums are for whinging and whining amongst other discussions.. similar to parliament for example. Those who don't like that might be better over at the fingers-in-ears la la la forum,

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 2:28pm Forums are for whinging and whining amongst other discussions.. similar to parliament for example. Those who don't like that might be better over at the fingers-in-ears la la la forum,
:roll: :roll:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Let’s hope the rumour I read on Twitter a while back that Richo will be fired in November (have to wait until then due to contractual issues according to the rumour) are on the money.

I look forward to old man and his one or two other fans to eat humble pie on this one!

#Richobegone

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 2:39pm Let’s hope the rumour I read on Twitter a while back that Richo will be fired in November (have to wait until then due to contractual issues according to the rumour) are on the money.

I look forward to old man and his one or two other fans to eat humble pie on this one!

#Richobegone
Won't be happening. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 10:46pm Good idea, start ANOTHER sack Richo thread!
can't be enough

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

We are in uncharted territory, no first grade coach has ever continued to coach long term with a record like Alan's so its anybody's guess how it could play out. He has been fortunate in that he came in with no expectations and lived up to them admirably, but 4.5 wins this year just highlighted that the two year extension was irrational in what's good for the club terms - who will ever know the real reason. The club has sent Al off to Harvard again (Coaching 102) so Al will come back smarter and wiser, is that worth one extra game win? There is a chance(s) that Sydney, Hawks, Dogs and Geelong will not improve. Brisbane may not either because the second year syndrome could kick in for a few and Zorko has shown he can be tagged to frustration. We will improve as the 2018 plague of injuries can't continue, Weller and Hickey have gone and the coaching ranks have improved. Selectors seem to have returned from outer space. So say we do twice as good and win 9 games through less injuries and natural improvement in Marshall, Battle, Clark, Coffield, Long et al, one extra because of Harvard = 10. Being wildly optimistic lets add another two on the assumption of luck with umpiring and bounce of the ball together with a decline in the clubs mentioned above. We are still a likkle short of finals and Alan's win/loss record stays at a usually sackable low. He will have to be replaced as the length of time without a final is getting so bad. Enter Lenny Hayes for 2020. So while talking of a win/win scenario is laughable at the moment we might come out of 2019 in better shape than we entered it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 1:24pm Supporters can carry on as much as they like about Alan Richardson remaining as coach for 2019, but that's all in vain.

Fact is that the club have backed him to be Senior Coach, and have identified the need for him to be given far more support for the team to achieve success in 2019 and beyond.

Therefore the clean out of assistant coaches, and bringing in some real experience, especially Brett Ratten and Brendon Lade (as well as Billy Slater) all of whom come from clubs with strong cultures of success.

Gubby Allen is going to give the club some real clout in the area of list management and player retention - a fantastic appointment as every club where he has worked in senior roles has had considerable on-field success while he was involved.

Opinions of supporters of Richo are utterly meaningless compared to how the players rate him, as noted in an article on the AFL website today:

"Acres, 23, has – as you'd expect – backed coach Alan Richardson and his new team to take the Saints a step forward in 2019.

"We've brought in, I think, four or five new coaches now and we'll bring in a few draftees in a few weeks," he said.

"We all trust Richo, we all know he knows what he's doing and I think this year he's got a great support group with all the new coaches.

"We've got to hold up our end of the bargain as well and perform each week
."

If it's good enough for players to trust Richo, then so should supporters. Save your breath....relax, and do what most supporters do at the end of a bad season - bury our disappointment and look forward to next year!!
Entitled of course to your opinion Sanctorum and if you want to see it that way, your prerogative. The club has backed him because it’s too expensive to sack him, that can be the only reason he was excluded from the post season review. Acres has backed him.....well what do you expect him to say?
I read your post as, “let’s just make the best of it”, which is good if you like optimism and hope. I like them too, but not at the expense of sweeping sh*t under the carpet coz it’s too unpalatable. It has a tendency to smell after a while. Hope you’re right mate. Hope we come good....don’t share your optimism with Richardson at the helm. Time will tell.

chico2001
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 10:06am Another thread by the chicken little brigade.
Once again , you sit on the fence and offer your tidbits of abuse and snide remarks. you make no contribution and even worse your dumb mate gives you the thumbs up. Like schoolkids. No wonder people don't want to contribute.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 6:16pm
saynta wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 10:06am Another thread by the chicken little brigade.
Once again , you sit on the fence and offer your tidbits of abuse and snide remarks. you make no contribution and even worse your dumb mate gives you the thumbs up. Like schoolkids. No wonder people don't want to contribute.
And you are a blight on this forum.

Have been ever since you started posting .

800 odd offensive, negative or abusive posts ffs.

Filth supporters should stick to their own rancid forums.

Go back where you came from.

This forum can do without you, thanks very much.