Latest on pick 4

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Latest on pick 4

I think it's all taken from the podcast though.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-06/s ... d-pick-no4

"Saints want hefty price for prized pick No.4
Callum Twomey
Nov 6, 2018 9:44AM

Who is interested in top-10 prospect Caldwell?

ST KILDA would need to retain a pick inside the first six selections if it is to trade its prized No.4 choice, according to list manager James Gallagher.

The Saints hold their earliest pick at a draft since they chose Paddy McCartin at No.1 in 2014, but with clubs able to trade selections until November 16, and then again during the draft a week later, discussions continue about possible deals to move up or down the order.

NAB AFL DRAFT HUB Latest news, video and more

The Crows, given their suite of first-round picks (No.8, 13 and 16) have been touted as a possible suitor to edge even closer to the top of the draft.

But Gallagher, who is in his first season as the club's list manager, when asked if the Saints would swap No.4 for two first-rounders from the Crows, said it was unlikely.

"You'd consider it. Their first pick is at No.8 at this stage and without being disparaging at all, we do see there being a bit of a difference between a pick four or five or six, and a pick eight," he told AFL.com.au's Road to the Draft podcast.

"It doesn't feel as though there'd be a deal they could put to us which would be attractive enough for us to consider but at the same time you never know what happens with picks one, two and three.

"We're open to any ideas and suggestions from other clubs, but right at this stage we're in a pretty fortunate position with pick four."

If they keep the pick, the Saints haven't yet decided on who they will target.

Sam Walsh, Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine continue to be linked as the most likely top-three selections, but Max and Ben King, Bailey Smith, Connor Rozee and Jye Caldwell are others in the Saints' sights.

X-FACTOR All-rounder has plenty of clubs excited

"The plan with that [pick] is we want to take the best available player for our list at that pick. We recognise the outstanding talent that's available in those first few picks, and we'd like to have more on our list but the reality is we only have one [early pick] and we're going to be a bit dictated to in terms of who goes at 1, 2 and 3," Gallagher said.

Max King, a Saints fan, has been doing his rehabilitation at St Kilda's headquarters and with the club's physiotherapists since suffering a season-ending knee injury in April.

The 202cm marking forward started the season as one of the leading No.1 pick contenders and he has shown the ability to be a match-winner in attack.

KING OF THE KIDS? ACL rupture hasn't dulled big forward's prospects

"He's a very impressive young fella, Max. He's obviously had a pretty challenging year – to do your ACL in your under-18s year after the start of the year that he had. You could forgive him for getting a bit down but he's been terrific the way he's attacked his rehabilitation here at St Kilda and worked with our physios, you can't speak highly enough of his character," Gallagher said.

"He's a huge kid, he can jump and he's very athletic."

The Saints have made building their midfield stocks a priority, and Caldwell could fit the bill. Soft-tissue injuries limited the Bendigo Pioneers prospect this season but some clubs view him as the second-best midfield option in the draft behind Walsh.

"Our recruiters are still working on absolutely finalising the order. Jye Caldwell certainly is in the mix. He's a difficult one in that he hasn't played a lot this year but he's got some attributes as a footy club that we love," he said.

"He's a really strong inside midfielder and an absolute competitor and you can see him really complementing our midfield really well."

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Latest on pick 4

Pick the best available midfielder. Simple.

Paddy, Bruce, Battle, Membrey, Marshall. We don’t need another young key forward, picking King would be the club 100% admitting they f**ked up picking Paddy at number 1.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 6:09pm Pick the best available midfielder. Simple.

Paddy, Bruce, Battle, Membrey, Marshall. We don’t need another young key forward, picking King would be the club 100% admitting they f**ked up picking Paddy at number 1.
I have to agree with you there.

the dome
Club Player

Keeping mum

"If they keep the pick, the Saints haven't yet decided on who they will target."
This is a good position to take going into the draft, it's hard to think through "haven't yet decided"/ it could mean anything or nothing.
This way it leaves the door open for another club to do the early work involved in a trade if any are at all keen.
While it 'could well be the case' that the Saints are very clear as to who they prefer @ pick #4.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saynta wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 6:14pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 6:09pm Pick the best available midfielder. Simple.

yeah its a bit strange - given Paddy got a contract early this year - wondering if they now regret going early ?
...again
King and Marshall are similar - Bruce has ability on his side but really only one injury away from a career
But geeesh we need an elite A grade onballer with a 10yr career ahead of him

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 6:33pm
saynta wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 6:14pm

yeah its a bit strange - given Paddy got a contract early this year - wondering if they now regret going early ?
...again
King and Marshall are similar - Bruce has ability on his side but really only one injury away from a career
But geeesh we need an elite A grade onballer with a 10yr career ahead of him
Yep,

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Best available regardless of position. If its King then so be it. Its not like our other key forwards are setting the world on fire.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I hope we deal with Port and swap 4 and 36 for 5 and 15.

Take Bailey Smith and best available skilled mid at 15.

My guess is that the GCS will take Lucosious, Max King at 2 and 3 and Ben King with 6. Basically an elite spine who might actually stick around.

Port will take Rankine at 4 if they do the deal and then we take Smith.
Dogs take Caldwell, Crows take Rozee.

Pick 15 could be Ian Hill?

Nee!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Or it would probably mean King is the best player available at 4.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 7:16pm

Or it would probably mean King is the best player available at 4.
See this is the uncomfortable thought...
Hypothetically, if King is the next Riewoldt, regardless of our need for a mid + list balance he would be the right choice

Not saying he is... just that if they believe something like that, then that’s the dilemma

ace
Saintsational Legend

In that case they should pick KIng.
They definitely did f**k up picking Paddy at number 1.
Until they can 100% admit it, they will be forever making the wrong decisions around the selection and recruiting tables.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
guitars4
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 7:07pm I hope we deal with Port and swap 4 and 36 for 5 and 15.

My guess is that the GCS will take Lucosious, Max King at 2 and 3 and Ben King with 6. Basically an elite spine who might actually stick around.

I would definitely take it if offered but nothing less than that. If that deal isn't done then stay with pick 4 & see who is still available. If Max King is still there at 4 I think we will take him & I know we have a lot of tall forwards already but I wouldn't be too upset even though I would prefer a midfielder.

SuperDuper
Club Player

this is interesting
"The plan with that [pick] is we want to take the best available player for our list at that pick"

Does not just say "best available player". Says "best available player for our list"

I think we want outside run and class, he has said that separately. Also interesting that in the Connor Rozee "future heros" video, we are mentioned as being interested, and in this article Rozee is mentioned again. I think we are looking closely at him and I would not be surprised if we had him high on our list. I also expect that we have Rankine in our top 3 and would take him ahead of King...

Anyway, lots of people seem to think we are into King, but lots of people thought we were into Matheison as well... I recon we are looking at Rankine, Rozee and Smith very closely along with King, and the former three may get extra points for suiting our list

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 7:07pm I hope we deal with Port and swap 4 and 36 for 5 and 15.

if rankine is available at 4 maybe port would do that deal. but maybe we should take him if he is?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know how the live pick trading will work? If someone takes player X at pick 3 and Port for example, then want offer us 5 and 15, how much time do we have to say yay or nay? I guess our guys just have to plan for every contingency and decide in advance how to respond.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 8:22pm this is interesting
"The plan with that [pick] is we want to take the best available player for our list at that pick"

Does not just say "best available player". Says "best available player for our list"

I think we want outside run and class, he has said that separately. Also interesting that in the Connor Rozee "future heros" video, we are mentioned as being interested, and in this article Rozee is mentioned again. I think we are looking closely at him and I would not be surprised if we had him high on our list. I also expect that we have Rankine in our top 3 and would take him ahead of King...

Anyway, lots of people seem to think we are into King, but lots of people thought we were into Matheison as well... I recon we are looking at Rankine, Rozee and Smith very closely along with King, and the former three may get extra points for suiting our list
Rankine seems to be the player the SA guys want... him and Luk.
I reckon we should just say we’ll be recruiting whichever is available at our pick

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Nothing against King but if we pick him up we are going to have another terrible year and come 17th-18th. We are screaming out for another outside mid and that isn't King.
Really interested in who gold coast pick at 2 & 3 as he may not be an option

silverhalo
Club Player

ace wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 7:29pm

In that case they should pick KIng.
They definitely did f**k up picking Paddy at number 1.
Until they can 100% admit it, they will be forever making the wrong decisions around the selection and recruiting tables.
They f*&*#& up badly picking Paddy at 1, just compounding the problem by not taking Max King at 4 - we take Maxy at 4 (if available), give Paddy this year to show something or offload him at end of year if he's still not up to it.

I've seen Max play a couple of games at schoolboy level and he is special.......think Nick Riewoldt, Joe Daniher (better kick though), Tom Lynch (Richmond).

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

So I think what I’m reading between the lines is our asking price for pick 4 is 5 &15 from Port or all three of the Crows first round picks - perhaps with one or more of our later picks in return.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Tue 06 Nov 2018 9:29pm I've seen Max play a couple of games at schoolboy level and he is special.......think Nick Riewoldt, Joe Daniher (better kick though), Tom Lynch (Richmond).
Everyone who gets drafted looks like something special in school boy footy.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Picking the best player available at pick #4...i.e. softening us up for bypassing the best midfielder available and selecting King :(

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it kinda feels like King would have gone in the top three picks if he had of played this year.

Guys two meters tall that move like he does tend to get most recruiters moist pretty easy.

Nothing really wrong with selecting him. But we need that midfielder desperately.

Oh how nice would it be to actually pick a pacey outside mid that can slot in round one....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
wally
Club Player

Look at our side now....Would you rather add Riewolt or Judd?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Wed 07 Nov 2018 7:56am Look at our side now....Would you rather add Riewolt or Judd?
I think it's more of a Joe Daniher (King) vs Callan Ward (Smith) situation. Given the current makeup of our list I'll take 18 year old Callan Ward easily. Give me the tough, skillful, quick, athletic mid who racks up contested possessions and will make life easier for our current crop of developing tall forwards over another tall any day.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 07 Nov 2018 8:17am
wally wrote: Wed 07 Nov 2018 7:56am Look at our side now....Would you rather add Riewolt or Judd?
I think it's more of a Joe Daniher (King) vs Callan Ward (Smith) situation. Given the current makeup of our list I'll take 18 year old Callan Ward easily. Give me the tough, skillful, quick, athletic mid who racks up contested possessions and will make life easier for our current crop of developing tall forwards over another tall any day.
Totally agree with the sentiments of both, the comparisons to who are neither here or there.

Best available for our list is the key. Both Battle & Marshall are developing and young with promise. Bruce is serviceable and strong bodied who needs work on overhead marking. McCartin is a quandary, has now become more hope than promise. Another year of dropped chest marks, poor set shots, no pressure acts & injuries, he will have less value than Hugh Goddard did. If he can become as "serviceable" as Bruce it will finally be a step forward.

We seem to have hitched our wagon to these key forwards meaning if we seek improvement in 2019 it must come from them, plus we have a further two tall VFL players training with us. To me it points to midfielders and pace, certainly with our first 3 draft picks. If not, then the statement "best available for our list" is confusing.