Final Thoughts ahead of the Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Final Thoughts ahead of the Draft

I reckon anything coming out of the clubs atm is to mask what they intend to do.
I think we will take Max King but with the lack of success of the big guys taken early over the last ten years, its higher risk.
Safer option is classy mids.
Wouldnt surprise me if Max goes 1 or 2.
Interesting that there have been late rumours that the saints are hot on Rozee and Caldwell. I dont know if this is a bit of mind games or not, but those two players could be pick 8 and 13 ? Are the saints softening up the fans for a trade down with Adelaide?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Final Thoughts ahead of the Draft

My feeling is Rankine goes at 3 and we’re left to choose from Max and Bailey.

I kind of want the latter but of King is the next big thing then it’s worth the short term pain.

Gershwin
Club Player

I'm warming to Max King. Kevin Sheehan has Walsh, Lukosius, Rankine and King as the top tier. Then drops to Smith, Rozee etc. The jury is still out on McCartin so King would be a good fit as tall forward who can relieve in the ruck.

summertime and the living is easy ........
outside66
Club Player

I'm hoping that Gold Coast go the option of bringing in both of the Kings with their first two picks and given the fact that they lost two bookends in May and Lynch, it would make plenty of sense. Even though Ben perhaps would be more in the 6-10 range, if it helps with retention then I think they'd be mad to pass it up.

If this were to be the case and both SA boys are left then things would get pretty spicy on draft night with Crows/Port!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I can understand their need for a quick fix regarding bookends.

Disregarding the supposed "generational" talent in this draft would surely be folly.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Does King have a natural tank? Could he be groomed to play as a big boy midfielder? Seems very athletic.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 12:22pm Does King have a natural tank? Could he be groomed to play as a big boy midfielder? Seems very athletic.
Best case scenario is he’s more Nick Riewoldt then Adam Goodes

DJ Higgins
Club Player

If you believe the press any of the top picks Walsh, King, Lukosius, Rankine are all amazing players who could be stars and generational players. All will take various degrees of time to get their bodies right, King and Lukosius most likely the longest.

Richo will want a good player now so that goes against King and Lukosius but as he didn't want Paddy he may not have much sway. Only a week away now

Crossy66
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 11:17am I'm hoping that Gold Coast go the option of bringing in both of the Kings with their first two picks and given the fact that they lost two bookends in May and Lynch, it would make plenty of sense. Even though Ben perhaps would be more in the 6-10 range, if it helps with retention then I think they'd be mad to pass it up.

If this were to be the case and both SA boys are left then things would get pretty spicy on draft night with Crows/Port!
Spot on. If others rate max as high as we do, i wouldnt be surprised if he goes one or two. That will absolutely turn the draft on its head. If Kings go three and two and luko and rankine are still on the table at 4, it will make interesting viewing

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think it will go...
1. Walsh to Carlton
2. Luko to GC
3. Max King to GC

Pause for 5 agonizing minutes as Port haggle with us over picks 10 and 15....

Then,

4. Rankine to PA
5. Ben King to GC
6. Blakely to Swans
7. Smith to Saints
8. Caldwell to Dogs
9. Rozee to Adelaide

And depending on how desperate Port were either pick 10
Or pick 15 ( more likely) to us.

Reckon GC will take a whole elite spine this draft.
We get Smith or Caldwell, I reckon the Rozee interest is a bit of smoke and mirrors to keep the SA clubs guessing.

Nee!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

fugazi wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 1:02pm Personally I think it will go...
1. Walsh to Carlton
2. Luko to GC
3. Max King to GC

Then,

4. Rankine to PA
5. Ben King to GC
6. Blakely to Swans
7. Smith to Saints
8. Caldwell to Dogs
9. Rozee to Adelaide

Reckon GC will taje a whole elite spine this draft.
We get Smith or Caldwell, I reckon the Rozee interest is a bit of smoke and mirrors to jeep the SA clubs guessing.
Yes please!!! May that happen!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

From reading all articles on these guys I think the Saints should take Max King then we can trade Paddy to Geelong for one of their midfielders

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Smith won't be there at 7. Champion data has him going at pick 3.

Crossy66
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 1:04pm
1. Walsh to Carlton
2. Luko to GC
3. Max King to GC

Then,

4. Rankine to PA
5. Ben King to GC
6. Blakely to Swans
7. Smith to Saints
8. Caldwell to Dogs
9. Rozee to Adelaide

We get Smith or Caldwell, I reckon the Rozee interest is a bit of smoke and mirrors to jeep the SA clubs guessing.
Would make sense. Also reckon caldwell will available at 10. Also not sure walsh will go at one

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

And if King is off the table?
Really think it could happen.....GC take the 2 best KPs to cover their losses, and then take the third best for good measure.
Leaving 2 SA guns available at pick 4.

If we are equally happy with Caldwell or Smith, we might even deal with Adelaide for pick 8.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Champion data's top eleven:

1. Izak Rankine (West Adelaide)

H: 180cm, W: 76kg

No. 1 player at 2017 and 2018 Under-18 championships. Averaged 16 disposals and led every player for goals, assists and score involvements this year.

SAM SAYS: Champion Data would’ve taken the boy with a rose tattoo at No. 1 last year — ahead of Cam Rayner and Jaidyn Stephenson. The draft’s magician appears likely to join Gold Coast at pick No. 2 or 3. Would a club also rookie Matt Rankine to help the brothers settle?

Plays like: Luke Breust (Haw)

2. Sam Walsh (Geelong Falcons)

H: 184cm, W: 74kg

One of most reliable junior ball winners ever seen. Across 41 matches he averaged 29 disposals and won at least 23 disposals in all 25 TAC Cup games as both an under-age and top-age player.

SAM SAYS: Should join Carlton at No. 1 and join Patrick Cripps, Paddy Dow, Will Setterfield and Matt Kennedy in an evolving engine room. Patrick Dangerfield says this blue-chip selection is the next Joel Selwood and he appears the best junior midfielder since Josh Kelly.

Plays like: Taylor Adams (Coll)
Sam Walsh doesn’t have any issues finding the footy. Picture: Getty Images

3. Bailey Smith (Sandringham Dragons)

H: 185cm, W: 82kg

Vic Metro’s MVP and won the second-most disposals of any player, behind Walsh. Smith also ranked in the top five for contested possessions, clearances and pressure points.

SAM SAYS: Close to Winx odds to stay in Victoria — and that means St Kilda or Western Bulldogs are most likely to land the second-best midfielder. Snug fit for the Dogs at No.7. Sore Achilles should be right by January.

Plays like: Brad Crouch (Ade)

4. Jack Lukosius (Woodville West Torrens)

H: 194cm, W: 85kg

Ability to find uncontested marks his greatest strength. Took 7.8 marks per match at the under-18 championships, the most against Division 1 teams since Jon Patton, the No. 1 pick in 2011.

SAM SAYS: A generational key forward with running patterns out of Nick Riewoldt’s playbook. Great hands, a beautiful kick and a logical choice for Gold Coast after losing Tom Lynch.

Plays like: Mitch McGovern (Carl)

5. Max King (Sandringham Dragons)

H: 202cm, W: 87kg

Round 1 TAC Cup performance possibly best of the season. King had 19 disposals, nine marks (six contested) and eight goals from 15 shots at goal. ACL then ruined his season.

SAM SAYS: No. 1 contender until ACL injury in April. The St Kilda fan could join the Saints at No. 4 and would also be considered by Port Adelaide (No. 5) and Dogs (No. 7). Fellow ACL victim Nic Naitanui provided support this year.

6. Nick Blakey (Sydney Swans Academy)

H: 194cm, W: 77kg

The No. 2 ranked player in AFL academy series, averaging 18 disposals and 4.5 goals. Across 15 matches covered by Champion Data he has never won more than 23 disposals or four clearances.

SAM SAYS: Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills and now Nick Blakey — Sydney’s talent academy delivers a third gem. Gold Coast should keep the Swans honest by bidding an early pick for the left-footer, who cut father-son ties to North Melbourne and Brisbane.

Plays like: Jake Stringer (Ess)
Nick Blakey is a member of the Sydney Swans Academy. Picture: Getty Images

7. Connor Rozee (North Adelaide)

H: 185cm, W: 71kg

Averaged 157 SuperCoach points at the 2016 Under-16 championships and 104 SuperCoach points at the 2017 Under-18 championships. Moved forward this year and he averaged only 74 SuperCoach points.

SAM SAYS: Stormed into top-10 mix with late form as an intercepting defender in the SANFL. Thinking music on for Port Adelaide (No. 5), Gold Coast (No. 6), Dogs (No. 7) and Crows (No. 8). Could give Suns a trio of South Australian friends.

Plays like: Andrew Brayshaw (Frem)

8. Chayce Jones (Launceston)

H: 180cm, W: 74kg

Averaged 21 disposals and ranked in the top five players for metres gained, pressure acts and score involvements for the Allies in this year’s Under-18 championships.

SAM SAYS: Slight frame a worry but a strong character who bounced back from a broken ankle last year. Tigers would love him to reach pick No. 17.

Plays like: Dayne Zorko (BL)

9. Ben King (Sandringham Dragons)

H: 202cm, W: 83kg

Averaged an impressive seven intercept possessions and three intercept marks as a defender last year. Moved forward this year, he was the No. 2 ranked key forward in the TAC Cup.

SAM SAYS: Led the TAC Cup for contested marks per match in 2018 and Port Adelaide (No. 5) probably the earliest he could go. A proven force at both ends of the ground.

Plays like: Ben Brown (NM)

10. Luke Valente (Norwood)

H: 186cm, W: 80kg

Averaged 22 disposals per match and was the only South Australian midfielder to rate elite for both intercept possessions and score involvements.

SAM SAYS: South Australian captain oozes leadership and possesses neat skills on both sides. One of this year’s big risers.

Plays like: Joel Selwood (Gee)

11. Jordan Clark (Claremont)

H: 182cm, W: 78kg

Final five games in the WAFL he averaged 15 disposals, seven intercept possessions and kicked at 70 per cent efficiency.

SAM SAYS: Glandular fever diagnosis will delay start to pre-season for the former Australian junior cricketer, taking a hat-trick against Pakistan. GWS likely to consider with the Dylan Shiel pick and Port Adelaide also in mix.

Plays like: Michael Hibberd (Melb)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If I was Max King I would say to St.Kilda, take the best mid you can get. I will go to whoever and come back as a 20 year old in 2 years. Save me 2.5mil for 4 years. Big call for a kid but thats what I'd do. I hope he loves this club as much as I do.

takeaway
Club Player

1. Walsh to Carlton
2. Luko to GC
3. Max King to GC

Then,

4. Rankine to PA
5. Ben King to GC
6. Blakely to Swans
7. Smith to Saints
8. Caldwell to Dogs
9. Rozee to Adelaide

Reckon GC will take a whole elite spine this draft.
We get Smith or Caldwell, I reckon the Rozee interest is a bit of smoke and mirrors to keep the SA clubs guessing.
Not sure what I am missing here - if we trade with port, ie 4 for 5 & 15 (try for 10), wouldn't we have pick 5? I know Blakely pushes it out 1, but why 7? Smith more likely to be available at 5.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 1:46pm If I was Max King I would say to St.Kilda, take the best mid you can get. I will go to whoever and come back as a 20 year old in 2 years. Save me 2.5mil for 4 years. Big call for a kid but thats what I'd do. I hope he loves this club as much as I do.
Alas I don’t think these kids have the same one eyedness that we do...

If he goes somewhere else, he’ll probably appreciate what they do for him, make friends etc

It’s disgusting :mrgreen:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 2:01pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 1:46pm If I was Max King I would say to St.Kilda, take the best mid you can get. I will go to whoever and come back as a 20 year old in 2 years. Save me 2.5mil for 4 years. Big call for a kid but thats what I'd do. I hope he loves this club as much as I do.

If he goes somewhere else, he’ll probably appreciate what they do for him, make friends etc

He could make real good friends with Luko, let him holiday with his family in St.Kilda, show him the sights, invest in a nice 2 bdr unit on Brighton beach and bring him back too.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 2:11pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 2:01pm

He could make real good friends with Luko, let him holiday with his family in St.Kilda, show him the sights, invest in a nice 2 bdr unit on Brighton beach and bring him back too.
Better make that a 3 bdr apartment. Ben might wanna come too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... c12c854c03

"St Kilda can welcome one of the most special tall forwards in years if it claims another star spearhead, Max King, with its top pick in this year’s draft.

Four years after taking Paddy McCartin with the No.1 pick, St Kilda is again circling another goalkicking big man with its prized No.4 choice.

It shapes as one of the most intriguing calls of the draft with gun midfielders Connor Rozee (North Adelaide), Jye Caldwell (Bendigo) and Bailey Smith (Sandringham) also on offer.

King was touted as a potential No.1 choice after bagging eight goals in a TAC Cup match in April before going down with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

The Sandringham product and keen St Kilda fan has made an excellent recovery using the Saints’ rehabilitation facilities at Moorabbin.

Sandringham talent manager Mark Wheeler said King’s outstanding vertical leap and clean marking skills made him an appealing prospect for the Saints’ No.4 pick, regardless of their existing key forward stocks.

“The way he jumps at the footy, watching him at Haileybury, he has definitely got some special traits and at his height, they don’t come up that often,” Wheeler said.

“And from all that testing and everything we’ve seen, he can probably play that dual role, as a key forward and as a ruckman.

“So, he is going to spend some time in the VFL in his first 12 months to develop physically, because he has got to put on some size.

But my thought process is you can’t pass up too much of the good talent (like King).”

King lives locally in St Kilda and, according to Wheeler, was running 200m repeat sprints at Trevor Barker Oval last week alongside his identical twin brother Ben.

Ben, who is also a versatile key position player, could fall as early as Port Adelaide’s No.5 selection after an outstanding season taking his sibling’s place in the forward line.
Ben King flies above the pack but drops the mark. Picture: Jason Sammon

Wheeler said there were no long-term concerns over Max King’s reconstructed knee.

“He has had a great surgeon, a great rehab, and he presents really impressively,” Wheeler said.

St Kilda attempted to address its midfield needs in the trade period, adding Sydney premiership wingman Daniel Hannebery and Melbourne hard nut Dean Kent.

But Western Bulldogs’ champion Brad Johnson and St Kilda great Nick Dal Santo have questioned what impact these moves will have on the field next season, with the pair predicting the Saints to finish in 17th place next season.

St Kilda football boss Simon Lethlean said the club was excited by the talent on offer around its first pick in the November 22-23 draft.

Clubs have the ability to swap picks on the nights of the draft.

“Pick four is a valuable one. Our recruiters are very excited about that in a very talented top-ended draft,” Lethlean said.

“In the meantime there may be some clubs who want to entertain trying to acquire that pick from us and it would need to be a significant opportunity for us to entertain it.”

Carlton is tipped to take Geelong Falcons’ midfielder Sam Walsh with the coveted No.1 pick, ahead of likely Gold Coast duo Izak Rankine and Jack Lukosius at No.2 and No.3."

saintadamski
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018 1:04pm
1. Walsh to Carlton
2. Luko to GC
3. Max King to GC

Then,

4. Rankine to PA
5. Ben King to GC
6. Blakely to Swans
7. Smith to Saints
8. Caldwell to Dogs
9. Rozee to Adelaide

God I hope so

Bailey Smith is going to be a Juddesque super star

The last thing we need is yet another tall forward loping around

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Sounds like Max King is coming our way, and assuming his knee holds up, he looks like the conservative option.

I cant imagine Rankine will still be on the table at our pick - but he sounds like a guy who can change the course of a game off his own boot. Lots of tricks, speed and regularly kicks 2 or 3 goals playing as a mid-forward. Adelaide people say he has a bit of Andrew Mcleod and a bit of Eddie Betts.
Would make our midfield look a bit zippier and I can see him rotating through the midfield with Gresh and Longy. If that threesome lived up to their potential it would make watching our games a lot more enjoyable !

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

H Goddard was touted as a number one pick got injured and then we stuffed up and picked him about pick 20

Gut feel tells me the same will happen with King but the Rozeee is SA so that ain’t good either

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.