Richo review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Richo review

Great article in the HeraldSun tomorrow around Richo's off season review.
The insight into player feedback also gives a glimpse as to Geary's leadership credentials.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo review

Fascinating read.

It feels like they’ve responded to 2018 in every way that they possibly could have. Now I guess it’s in the execution

I think one thing that may ultimately prove to be a positive now is that many ppl at the club have no second chances left which sounds like it’s prompted a higher work rate all round.

Certainly the reports from training etc are more positive than what we were hearing this time last season

Crossy66
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 9:38pm Fascinating read.

It feels like they’ve responded to 2018 in every way that they possibly could have. Now I guess it’s in the execution
Hard not to get cautiously optimistic about next season after reading that article

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This season is going to be fascinating viewing.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Hmm.

So that explains Richardson pumping up Geary's tyres recently.

The old 'blow smoke up the arse of the bloke that bags you' management trick.

Also, amongst all the negative stuff that keeps getting thrown in Richardson's face, when are we going to hear from the club what the underlying positives and strengths are that make it worthwhile holding on to him?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

One thing we know for sure. It's going to be a 'strong' season built on strong coaching and even stronger relationships.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Moods wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 10:51pm One thing we know for sure. It's going to be a 'strong' season built on strong coaching and even stronger relationships.
And... "we're going to be strong in that space" :shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Rd 19 against GWS?
I don't recall that game at all.
Have to go back and check the stats.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 3:07am Rd 19 against GWS?
I don't recall that game at all.
Have to go back and check the stats.
One of the many games in which we outplayed the opposition for much of the game but kicked ourselves out of it. 7 scoring shots against 2 in the first quarter for a score of 13-12. Went into half time at 3.10 vs 5.2. Then GWS started to win the arm wrestle in the third quarter before we capitulated in the last. What a common story last year. Zero rushed behinds for the whole games as well.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 9:38pm Fascinating read.

I think one thing that may ultimately prove to be a positive now is that many ppl at the club have no second chances left which sounds like it’s prompted a higher work rate all round.

Certainly the reports from training etc are more positive than what we were hearing this time last season
Skeppers this post from you delites me. We all know your postion on the coach so to read something from you that is objective, fair and balanced is refreshing.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If Alan doesn't make it then so be it, but at least we will know the club gave him and themselves every opportunity to achieve success. I'm on the record as saying I have never supported Alan blindly and have always accepted he has weaknesses but I also believe the club absolutely made the right call to go around agian with him in 2019. Blind Freddy could see there were other issues that needed addressing as well as getting improvement from Alan. The sum of all parts.

I'm bullish. I think the list isn't as bad as some on here believe and I think Alan can be a good coach and I'm hopeful he is one of these rare professionals that accepts honest feedback and uses it to his advantage.

I also think if we have some luck with injury...we make finals.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

To me, any senior coach that needs this level of performance management after 5 years is not a long term proposition.

Yes I know he was sent to the course to help him improve - but effectively it was performance management, or at the very least, the precursor to it.

I like AB and how his metric is week in week out on field performance. I hope that means AR will be micro-managed this season and really under significant pressure.

Must say that was one of the best Saints articles I’ve read for years - spin free and good honest home truths.

Shame it took until this juncture for it to happen!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Crossy66. The Club has to be given credit for trying to make something out of Richo. Big contrast to the way FFA treated its Women's' coach. Feel sorry for what the players had to go through last year and Richo for having to endure the feedback he got, those exercises are almost always painful because truth can be so hurtful. Geary might have the stuff to be a future Coach and Newness sounds like a good recruit, as well as bringing verve I hope he can kick.

Crossy66
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 8:28am Thanks Crossy66. The Club has to be given credit for trying to make something out of Richo. Big contrast to the way FFA treated its Women's' coach. Feel sorry for what the players had to go through last year and Richo for having to endure the feedback he got, those exercises are almost always painful because truth can be so hurtful. Geary might have the stuff to be a future Coach and Newness sounds like a good recruit, as well as bringing verve I hope he can kick.
Thanks Yorkey, I am also excited by Newness :D

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 10:51pm One thing we know for sure. It's going to be a 'strong' season built on strong coaching and even stronger relationships.
Yes, the use of the word "strong" became very distracting and took away from a good article and insight into what's been happening post 2018 season. I hope the communications person is working with him to expand his dialogue, otherwise the best of messages won't get through.

darylcowie
Club Player

Let's remember that it took another Allan six years to coach his first flag!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Crossy66
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 8:19am To me, any senior coach that needs this level of performance management after 5 years is not a long term proposition.

Yes I know he was sent to the course to help him improve - but effectively it was performance management, or at the very least, the precursor to it.

I like AB and how his metric is week in week out on field performance. I hope that means AR will be micro-managed this season and really under significant pressure.

Must say that was one of the best Saints articles I’ve read for years - spin free and good honest home truths.

Shame it took until this juncture for it to happen!
This sort of leadership stuff is more common than you might think, so its not always a bad reflection on the subject, probably quite the reverse.
THis could be Richo's "Buckley moment"... or not. Either way, the club should be commended for doing such an unStKilda thing and not sacking the coach outside the terms of his contract..
Sounds like there are some triggers in the contract they could exercise during this season, so that would be a different matter.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

darylcowie wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 8:39am Let's remember that it took another Allan six years to coach his first flag!
You so see a bit of Jeans in Richo do you???

The Saints have just gone through a similar review to Richmond prior to their last flag, but do you think our lists are comparable?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 9:06am
darylcowie wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 8:39am Let's remember that it took another Allan six years to coach his first flag!
You so a bit of Jeans in Richo do you???

The Saints have just gone through a similar review that Richmond went through prior to their last flag, but do you think our lists are comparable?
Interesting question Sydney Sainter. Other than the time frame for the two Allans I'm not sure of any other similarities, different eras and different personalities.

In terms of the lists, I think not too different and I expect them to be closer in two seasons. The key being Richmond's 4 bona fide A graders. Perhaps, with a lot of hope, we may have those genuine A graders come 2020 / 2021. I expect a big step forward this year for some of our 3 to 5 year players, in combination with another 12 to 20 games into Clark, Coffield, Paton PLUS getting Josh Kelly (my wish) & Max's brother (fingers crossed). Otherwise the lists would be comparable but then that means Richo would have been in charge for 7 or 8 years.

If Hannerbury holds his body together, he will be perfect to lead our 2020 / 2021 teams who should be vying for finals.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Can someone list the traits that suggest Richardson could ever be a good coach?

Could someone please list any evidence to suggest that he could ever be a good coach?

What are the reasons for persevering with him? What strengths does he have?
Obviously the weaknesses and flaws are enormous given the amount of 'support' the club has had to bring in - so what are the elite traits that he has as a coach and leader that warrants and justifies this perseverance?

Serious question.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how long an executive or senior manager in Basset's Seek organisation would last if they had the sub standard output that Richo has had for 5 years- there would be no propping up with other staff to try and get results..you would be long gone! No doubt Richo is only still there while the club sees out his contract.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 9:33am Not sure how long an executive or senior manager in Basset's Seek organisation would last if they had the sub standard output that Richo has had for 5 years- there would be no propping up with other staff to try and get results..you would be long gone! No doubt Richo is only still there while the club sees out his contract.
I'm a believer in not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

To use the Buckley comparison, he clearly had traits that were elite. He had flaws and weaknesses too - but there were qualities there that are very difficult to find.
So that's the ideal scenario to provide 'support'. You harness the good stuff, and mitigate the bad stuff.

You wouldn't divorce Miranda Kerr because she left her dirty clothes on the bedroom floor. You'd just hire a cleaner.

But if there are no elite traits, then you really do have to wonder whether it's worth all the effort.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Played a drinking game , skulling for each ' strong'

Worst hangover of my life

Really strong stuff. Extra strong

Bring back the Lockett era
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote: Sun 17 Feb 2019 10:31am Played a drinking game , skulling for each ' strong'

Worst hangover of my life

Really strong stuff. Extra strong
And when you threw up in the loo,
was the smell 'strong in that space' ? :shock:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that the feedback was he focussed too much on the negatives internally, because externally he seems to do the exact opposite.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Q: Richo's traits? Ans: incredibly lucky; able to quickly ingratiate himself to the CEO; never loses his composure in the media spotlight; until recently, poor self awareness; learnt the basics of assistant level coaching well, albeit by rote, together with a few phrases from successful coaches. Mentally strong and determined. Likeable on a personal level.